SomboSteel

May 8, 2017
How did he figure out it was your job?
he started changing the way he sent out the preview pics to his patrons in such a way that any leaks that showed up would be significantly more visible than before. he used to just send you the picture via email and you could then just post it anonymously immediately afterwards with no trail to trace since all patrons got the same email at the same time. he started sending the previews out in waves, and they had to be downloaded from a specific link to access. i would post them here right away, so it wasnt hard to figure out it was me lol

idk how he does things now, but thats the story back when i was in the fold

SomboSteel

May 8, 2017
Anything N7 shares is authorized by DPC. N7 is a moderator on DPC's Discord, and the "unofficial" channel for information DPC wants to share with this forum. DPC isn't as divorced from this place as they pretend to be; they want to discourage it, but knows they do get a lot of traffic to their Patreon because of this place.

But DPC DOES have content they don't want to share here. Content which is a reward for Patrons who pay more and want some exclusive rewards. The people who get banned from his official channels are people who have broken the contract they willingly entered into with regards to sharing content. If they get offended by it, it is simply because they either entered into a contract without understanding it, or they don't want to face the consequences of their own actions. It's not like they weren't told before hand.

Feel free to vote for communists if you don't like capitalism.
the water is pretty muddy, in reality. if i was paying him $40 a month and part of my perk package was i get a copy of any previews, then it is arguable that it is MY copy to do with as i please regardless of what DPC says himself since it was a direct result of me paying him.

if he literally and technically OWNED these things then he could have or should have taken legal action against me and anyone else that "stole" his property. but he doesnt do that cause the legal argument is pretty blurry and would ultimately be a total waste of time and money for DPC cause as per patreon terms of service he can ban any patron for any reason, no questions asked. there is no binding legal contract between DPC and his patrons, it basically just uses the honor system. and while i admit i did violate DPC's honor system, i decided for myself that sharing the previews here that im shelling out almost $500 a year for was something that was within my rights to do (even if DPC disagreed) and that it was not "harmful" to his business (i basically paid him money to advertise his own game lol).

and tbh, the previews are so few and far between and ultimately so insignificant that there is no reason that we shouldnt get them here so we have something to talk about during the insane down time between episodes. IMO, DPC was just acting like a baby cause somebody disobeyed his rules

hopefully the next episode comes out sooner rather than later, though it seems like a halloween synchronization is likely

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
if he literally and technically OWNED these things then he could have or should have taken legal action against me and anyone else that "stole" his property. but he doesnt do that cause the legal argument is pretty blurry and would ultimately be a total waste of time and money for DPC cause as per patreon terms of service he can ban any patron for any reason, no questions asked. there is no binding legal contract between DPC and his patrons, it basically just uses the honor system. and while i admit i did violate DPC's honor system, i decided for myself that sharing the previews here that im shelling out almost $500 a year for was something that was within my rights to do (even if DPC disagreed) and that it was not "harmful" to his business (i basically paid him money to advertise his own game lol).
True. And if you live in another country he would need to try to sue you there following its laws. A even harder endeavour.

and tbh, the previews are so few and far between and ultimately so insignificant that there is no reason that we shouldnt get them here so we have something to talk about during the insane down time between episodes. IMO, DPC was just acting like a baby cause somebody disobeyed his rules
He is a baby. Just look at all the extra work he does to try to stop people from modding his game.

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
He is a baby. Just look at all the extra work he does to try to stop people from modding his game.
I'm still going to disagree on this point.

Using the time honored tradition of a car analogy: If you mod your engine, don't go running to the fucking dealership when it blows up because of stupid shit you've done. Fixing your stupid shit (under warranty) is not the dealership's job.

And that is what DPC was running into. A bunch of fookin' morons modding the game and then wondering why shit would break, and expecting tech support. What DPC has effectively done is put in a sensor check for aftermarket parts, and if it finds them, it just flat out stops working, because fuck you, that's not going to become HIS problem to deal with later.

Sure, we all have ways around that as well, but it helps weed out the obnoxiously simple and stupid people pretty quickly, especially if they all report having problems in the exact same spot. He'd know why and know to just ignore them, because it wasn't a legitimate game problem. It was a stupid user problem. It should not be a developer problem.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I'm still going to disagree on this point.

Using the time honored tradition of a car analogy: If you mod your engine, don't go running to the fucking dealership when it blows up because of stupid shit you've done. Fixing your stupid shit (under warranty) is not the dealership's job.

And that is what DPC was running into. A bunch of fookin' morons modding the game and then wondering why shit would break, and expecting tech support. What DPC has effectively done is put in a sensor check for aftermarket parts, and if it finds them, it just flat out stops working, because fuck you, that's not going to become HIS problem to deal with later.

Sure, we all have ways around that as well, but it helps weed out the obnoxiously simple and stupid people pretty quickly, especially if they all report having problems in the exact same spot. He'd know why and know to just ignore them, because it wasn't a legitimate game problem. It was a stupid user problem. It should not be a developer problem.
this analogy always convinces me little

the only advantage of DPC is that in this way he is able to discern on the fly any complaints related to the mod, but which if he had not created that blocking mechanism he would never have received

i.e. he makes sure that those not-so-smart players who go to complain to the developer about a problem found on a modded version will definitely go to him to complain, however he has the satisfaction of being able to ignore them.

doesn't seem like the most mature of solutions

dregon87

May 6, 2019
the water is pretty muddy, in reality. if i was paying him $40 a month and part of my perk package was i get a copy of any previews, then it is arguable that it is MY copy to do with as i please regardless of what DPC says himself since it was a direct result of me paying him.

hopefully the next episode comes out sooner rather than later, though it seems like a halloween synchronization is likely

It's very simple, I'm broke and whatever DPC does I won't be able to afford a subscription to his patreon, even if his game is stopped sharing on F95, this will not spawn money in my pocket for a subscription. But people who can afford it but don't know if it's worth it can look at these posts on F95 and understand whether it's worth it or not and subscribe if it's worth it, and for these people it's more like advertising.

So from my point of view you are really paying $40 to advertise the game.:ROFLMAO:

I don't count people who just like piracy.

DrSoong

Donor
Jan 8, 2022

The point is that DPC is getting a constant flow of money from his patrons. Normally a dev makes the whole game without funding and he gets the money after releasing. Using this way the dev must have enough money to survive the development phase until he gets the money, this would work for big companies but (mostly) not for a single dev.

The Patreon way is likely different, it's more suitable for single developers. But to please the patrons he has to give them small pieces of evidence of the dev process (no matter if they are update news or pics), to reward their loyalty. It's (in Bella's words) naive from DPC to expect that these aren't shared (as the net iss all about share), no matter what he was expecting.

So, i'm with you Sombo, on the one side it's his business model to give some things (news, polls, pics) only to people who support him, on the other side it's naive (*argh* Bella again....?) to try to control what the patrons will do with this pieces after release. Maybe DPC will agree with some sort of delay, after the patrons get the pics they should wait for a amount if time until they share the pics (let's say one week for example), so, if someone is curious about them he has to become a patron to get them directly at they were released.

Sombo, thinking of all of this i would say thank you to you for risking your patron to share BaD news to us, even if you can't do it anymore.

• Red Heart
Reactions: SomboSteel

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
I appreciate all the previews etc. you shared, and it's a shame you got burned. I'm amazed anyone is prepared to shell out that sort of money for previews/custom renders.

DPC is certainly more active at tracking down & punishing people who share his stuff than most devs, but you knew that long before you were banned.

As you say yourself:
as per patreon terms of service he can ban any patron for any reason, no questions asked
DPC makes it perfectly clear his subscribers can't redistribute his stuff. You got caught, he's well within his rights to boot you for violating his TOS. DPC owns the copyright on anything he produces, and it's up to him what distribution terms he wants.

Patreon is a subscription service, you're not buying a license to freely redistribute whatever you have access to. Just like you can't freely pass around everything you have access to on Steam, Youtube, Spotify, Netflix etc.

So there's nothing muddy about it. We thank you for pirating his stuff, but it was obviously piracy & you got caught. Which is a shame for us too.

Lightaces

Aug 3, 2018
No, it is NOT arguable that it is your copy to do what you wish. The rules of his Patreon are explicit - you have a LIMITED license, and it does NOT include spreading it around. You signed up. You paid your money, and agreed to the terms. You don't get to just make up new terms because you want to.

He doesn't bother taking you to court because it is expensive, but also because the terms are clear - fuck around, get banned. It's right there in the agreement. It's not his fault if you didn't bother to read it.

And yes, he LITERALLY, and TECHNICALLY owns his intellectual property. That's how intellectual property works.

Sorry, but there is no grey area here, you just don't want to live up to the terms you agreed to.

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
this analogy always convinces me little

the only advantage of DPC is that in this way he is able to discern on the fly any complaints related to the mod, but which if he had not created that blocking mechanism he would never have received

i.e. he makes sure that those not-so-smart players who go to complain to the developer about a problem found on a modded version will definitely go to him to complain, however he has the satisfaction of being able to ignore them.

doesn't seem like the most mature of solutions
it's easy. there's probably something like a channel in Discord where people post bugs they find. see someone complain about a modded game - take away their permission to write in that channel. because if they can't tell a difference between an error that comes from a mod and an error that comes from a game they can't tell you anything useful about errors they find anyway

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
it's easy. there's probably something like a channel in Discord where people post bugs they find. see someone complain about a modded game - take away their permission to write in that channel. because if they can't tell a difference between an error that comes from a mod and an error that comes from a game they can't tell you anything useful about errors they find anyway
I get it, but it still seems like backwards reasoning to me.

if there is an official channel for reporting actual bugs in the game, with controlled access, and it gets clogged up with people playing with a mod so badly that it deserves a countermove, I'd say there's a major communication problem

but if the game instead of crashing would display a huge "idiot, stop using MODs!!!" sign wouldn't the whole thing be a moment more productive? at that point they wouldn't go asking for anything., maybe they would play without Mods and bring in useful reports in case

normally the integrity seals on the devices are clearly visible, often reported, they are not hidden intentionally, because for you to go and bring a tampered device is a waste of time anyway, useless for both parties

but you want to put the taste of personally kicking someone out of your treehouse?

Sarif119

Mar 29, 2020
How to find Riona's Stalker
(1. Teleport to corridor 3 and enter the first door to to your right then in 2.
You have go to the dance room there are only 6 People Jabob and 5 other people whom to click or where to click) (I am having problem with 2 and 3 steps as in walkthrough there are 3 steps in order to complete)

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
if there is an official channel for reporting actual bugs in the game, with controlled access, and it gets clogged up with people playing with a mod so badly that it deserves a countermove, I'd say there's a major communication problem
It's not a communications problem from DPCs perspective, because he doesn't want mods discussed at all. He's futilely trying to stop people using mods, which is why he tries to break them.
but if the game instead of crashing would display a huge "idiot, stop using MODs!!!" sign wouldn't the whole thing be a moment more productive? at that point they wouldn't go asking for anything., maybe they would play without Mods and bring in useful reports in case
DPC would be better off doing both: tell the player a mod has been detected & the game will close as a result. At the moment many players have no clue why the game is closing, so wouldn't know that playing without mods may fix their issue.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
It's not a communications problem from DPCs perspective, because he doesn't want mods discussed at all. He's futilely trying to stop people using mods, which is why he tries to break them.

DPC would be better off doing both: tell the player a mod has been detected & the game will close as a result. At the moment many players have no clue why the game is closing, so wouldn't know that playing without mods may fix their issue.
that's what I meant, if after the warning he lets you play it becomes useless. but it takes an official game over, not a crush which is misunderstandable anyway

statistically it is not impossible for my game to crush, for other contingent reasons, in the vicinity of josy's scene without me having a mod. we are talking about a one-in-a-million chance, but not the impossible.

Reactions: Meushi

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
he started changing the way he sent out the preview pics to his patrons in such a way that any leaks that showed up would be significantly more visible than before. he used to just send you the picture via email and you could then just post it anonymously immediately afterwards with no trail to trace since all patrons got the same email at the same time. he started sending the previews out in waves, and they had to be downloaded from a specific link to access. i would post them here right away, so it wasnt hard to figure out it was me lol

idk how he does things now, but thats the story back when i was in the fold
The DPC has a very strong prejudice against pirates. He doesn't understand that piracy does not harm the product, F95 helps to popularize the game. He's an indie developer and can't spend a lot of money on a publisher to promote the game. I think a lot of people, having downloaded and played the game here, then subscribed to his Patreon or bought it on Steam. So here I am on your side and thank you for doing this for us.
The DPC is behaving strangely in many ways. On Steam, in the reviews, people write that the DPC blocks topics in discussions with amateur translations of the game into other languages. This is real absurdity. Not in all countries speak English well. In the game, English is not difficult, but many would find it easier to play in their own language. He doesn't translate himself (clearly, this is a huge job), but he does not allow others to do it. Weird, very weird.

Envy*

Apr 10, 2022
Enjoy the feeling, I have been chasing that high ever since.

Welcome to the club and congratulations!) I guess what you want to do now: play the game again;)

Welcome to our frat, brother! Now you are one of us: a fucked fucker waiting for more content. You'll love it!

Hahaha thanks to you bro's, DIK forever !!! :cool:

it was not easy, starting the game again because I had failed the Isabella road, I also had some problems and there, with my translation patch, some passages + the Episode 8 which was in English, I had to redo a clean installation, anyway, I still saw the end! I can't wait to start the Interlude but I'm waiting for the team that takes care of the translation into my language to release the patch.

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 1,531 Votes