Mod Ren'Py Being a DIK [S1/S2 v0.8.3 & S3 v0.10.1] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

4.80 star(s) 13 Votes

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
is this mod work with gog version 0.4.8.14 ?
All I can tell you is that it works for Steam and non-Steam. GOG should be the exact same as non-Steam but I can't confirm that. I see no reason on Earth why it wouldn't work as long as you put the correct mod version inside the correct VN version (S1/S2 is one mod/VN, S3 is another mod/VN).

deuxrayme

Nov 4, 2018
is this mod work with gog version 0.4.8.14 ?
For me, it fails to load the game on the GOG version. I can't even get to the main menu and I think it has to do with the intro screens.

It crashes after the screen that shows Discord, Steam, etc.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The GOG version looks different
Then it goes to the GOG splash screen

This is where the game crashes with SanchoMod installed where the purple screen would appear.

deuxrayme

Nov 4, 2018
I'm bored so I thought I would look into it a little further. Since it's related to the splash screen, I looked at the splash.rpy that came with the GOG version. After seeing this code:
Python:
label before_main_menu:

if discordrun:
        python:
            import io
            state = "mm"
            try:
                io.open("game/state.txt", 'w+', encoding = "utf-8").write(state)
            except:
                pass

return
I checked the state.txt for GOG and the Patreon/SanchoMod installations. The GOG one has "mm" as the content of the file and the Patreon has "sp"

Further investigation with the discord.py file shows that this is only related to where the game is at the time. Making my way to episode one changed it to "ep1" like shown in discord.py

I don't feel like tearing it apart further and will just go back to the conclusion that I reached when I tried to do some SM runs to take into ep9 after playing with my pure ones, which is that GOG is not compatible with SanchoMod.

Last edited:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I'm bored so I thought I would look into it a little further. Since it's related to the splash screen, I looked at the splash.rpy that came with the GOG version. After seeing this code:
Python:
label before_main_menu:

if discordrun:
        python:
            import io
            state = "mm"
            try:
                io.open("game/state.txt", 'w+', encoding = "utf-8").write(state)
            except:
                pass

return
I checked the state.txt for GOG and the Patreon/SanchoMod installations. The GOG one has "mm" as the content of the file and the Patreon has "sp"

Further investigation with the discord.py file shows that this is only related to where the game is at the time. Making my way to episode one changed it to "ep1" like shown in discord.py

I don't feel like tearing it apart further and will just go back to the conclusion that I reached when I tried to do some SM runs to take into ep9 after playing with my pure ones, which is that GOG is not compatible with SanchoMod.
Considering your previous post my best guess is that there is a call in a script that GOG adds (not a part of the standard archives like the Steam/non-Steam are) that's calling for that purple GOG screen and causing the "crash". Looking for something named "gog xxxx" in some folder under "games" is where I would personally start as that's likely the culprit.... again, just and educated guess. Obviously I don't GOG, I either Steam or non-Steam, nothing else.

deuxrayme

Nov 4, 2018
Ok, header.rpy is where the label splashscreen exists.

This bit of code is what is probably missing from the SanchoMod scripts.rpa:
Python:
    elif nonPatreonConfig:
        show legal_info with dissolve
        $ renpy.pause()
        show gog_screen with dissolve
        hide legal_info with dissolve
It's part of this block:
Python:
    if steamConfig:
        show legal_info_steam_version with dissolve
    elif nonPatreonConfig:
        $ renpy.pause()
    else:
        show legal_info_patreon_version with dissolve
If it's not this, then it's possibly wherever it returns to at the end of that label because the main menu looks different on the two versions.
screenshot0006.png

The GOG version also doesn't access the appdata saves and only uses the saves folder inside the game folder, so it is easiest to say that if somebody is on this site, they can grab the version that is here and does work with the mod.

Last edited:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Ok, header.rpy is where the label splashscreen exists.

This bit of code is what is probably missing from the SanchoMod scripts.rpa:
Python:
    elif nonPatreonConfig:
        $ renpy.pause()
It's part of this block:
Python:
    if steamConfig:
        show legal_info_steam_version with dissolve
    elif nonPatreonConfig:
        $ renpy.pause()
    else:
        show legal_info_patreon_version with dissolve
If it's not this, then it's possibly wherever it returns to at the end of that label because the main menu looks different on the two versions.
View attachment 2337044

The GOG version also doesn't access the appdata saves and only uses the saves folder inside the game folder, so it is easiest to say that if somebody is on this site, they can grab the version that is here and does work with the mod.
I'm aware of all the code bud. The splash segment is the same across the board, all versions. The standard VN both Steam and non-Steam have that GOG small button in them for the gui AND that GOG purple screen... I just looked. I forced the VN into non-Steam and non-Patreon and the GOG stuff all worked fine for me. S3 is the version I did the testing in. So, my conclusion is the SanchoMod will indeed work with all versions according to the code... unless, like I mentioned in my previous post, GOG stuffs an extra file in as a key... I've done similar things so I know it's possible.

1674614804324.png

Swordsman83

Anti Anti-NTR & Anti-Woke Crusader
Donor
Apr 14, 2020
is possible to change the condition to get the 2d art or i gotta start a new playthrough to fulfill it ?

deuxrayme

Nov 4, 2018
I'm aware of all the code bud. The splash segment is the same across the board, all versions.
I have no doubt you know the code. You mentioned in your previous post the code calling the purple screen. That elif block is the one that shows legal_info and gog_screen. With the mod installed, it evaluates as False and shows legal_info_patreon_version as shown in my screenshots from earlier. If that is by design, you can answer and not me.

I mentioned the main menu not because of the GOG box but because of the Quit button in place of the version number that the Patreon one has. Your screenshot for S3 shows the same change being made though.

GOG prides itself on being DRM free but as I mentioned, it doesn't use the appdata saves, so something is definitely different.

I'm fine having two versions of the game installed. I just wanted to provide you with some information you didn't have in case somebody else asks if the mod is compatible with the GOG version. Thanks for the many hours you have spent working on the mod.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
deuxrayme Yes, the mod is currently setup like the DL version here (Patreon), with SteamConfig False and nonPatreonConfig False. When a player has the VN installed on Steam there is a separate file that sets SteamConfig to True in the Steam install (it's part of the Steam installation process). My assumptions is that there is/was a file in the GOG install that set the nonPatreonConfig to True as well in similar fashion but apparently there's more to it:

Now, with the preliminary info you have given I can only assume that the actual GOG VN build from the dev has a modified script header or init contained in the compile (archive). If that's the case then I would have to make a separate mod for the GOG version or supply whichever file is modified (if there is) to GOG players separately to work with the current mod.

That's the only two solutions that have worked in the past fluidly before there were Steam toggle variables in VNs (the early days). I'm certain it can be resolved but I'll need to run forensics on both versions to isolate what either the dev or GOG is doing differently than Steam to trigger the VN to their "platform".

simpledue69

Mar 21, 2022
You guys are a load smarter then me when it come to Python / RenPy, but I got curious about the GOG question brought up.

I was able to get SanchoMod installed, working to the title screen and to the part where you choose your name with a GOG Offline Installer acquired from a popular GOG backup website (game ver. 0.4.8.14).

On my install, all installing SanchoMod did was switch from the title screen "Dr Pinkcake Presents: Being a Dik" from the GOG branding to Steam/Pateron brand title screen.

My two questions.
1. Are you installing from an offline backup or Galaxy?
2. Are both seasons installed to the same directory?

For shits and giggles, I installed just season 1 to a new drive. Nuked my renpy folder from ~roaming~, installed SanchoMod and it still seemed to work fine. Just exhibited the same change of title screen behavior I mentioned before.

I don't have the means to test a Galaxy install, but I wonder if that might be introducing a hicup somewhere if that it what you are using?

This is interesting because a "BeingaDIK-GOG-1535311497" folder does populate with saves for me in appdata with a clean GOG install (no SanchoMod installed). When I install SanchoMod to my clean GOG Install, a "BeingaDIK-1535311494" folder with saves will populate in appdata.

Last edited:

sugarfreepls

Jan 15, 2023
Hey Sancho, loving the content you have been putting out and i am fairly new to modding. I have followed the install instructions to the T but I keep getting this error code when trying to run the game..

While running game code:
File "game/SanchoMod/scripts/music.rpy", line 467, in <module>
NameError: name 'itemgetter' is not defined

If you could help me out or point me in the right direction on how to fix it I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks! (Also attached the full traceback if that helps)

Degen Man

Sep 8, 2022
Hey is there an Android ported version of the game with this mod integrated into it ?

P.S. Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, i couldn't find what i was looking for by myself.

Also, a big fan of yours after i played University of Problems and Leap of Faith with your mod. Thank you for making all of these so detail-oriented.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Hey Sancho, loving the content you have been putting out and i am fairly new to modding. I have followed the install instructions to the T but I keep getting this error code when trying to run the game..

While running game code:
File "game/SanchoMod/scripts/music.rpy", line 467, in <module>
NameError: name 'itemgetter' is not defined

If you could help me out or point me in the right direction on how to fix it I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks! (Also attached the full traceback if that helps)
Well, it's going to be difficult for me to say since you would also have that issue without the mod installed since that is a PinkCake music file sorter, not mine (it's there by default). Install the mod inside a clean (unadulterated) version of the VN and you'll be fine, otherwise it's likely to do with some shenanigans you've done on your end considering the tens of thousands of installs and the only music issue is it not saving favorites ATM.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Hey is there an Android ported version of the game with this mod integrated into it ?

P.S. Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, i couldn't find what i was looking for by myself.

Also, a big fan of yours after i played University of Problems and Leap of Faith with your mod. Thank you for making all of these so detail-oriented.
Good morning. There are a few post like this one here. Bottom line: SanchoMod is not currently mobile compatible, it is designed for PC use only. I'll work on sorting that once I can get caught up and catch my breath. Regards.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Degen Man

apocalypsetoday

Game Developer
May 25, 2021
I usually have a file named "console.rpy" I put in the game folder with the following commands in it...
Python:
init 999 python:
    config.console = True
    config.developer = True
That usually enables the ability to enter the console. (SHIFT+O in game)... works with this game.

It's a good file to keep separate that you can just drop into a project's game folder to enable it.
I was referring specifically to the "DevCon" enable / disable feature of the mod which doesnt seem to work.

I was able to access dev console alternatively in a similar sense to that which you mentioned, just thought Sancho might want to know that there may be a problem with the devcon enabling in his mod :)

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
I was referring specifically to the "DevCon" enable / disable feature of the mod which doesnt seem to work.

I was able to access dev console alternatively in a similar sense to that which you mentioned, just thought Sancho might want to know that there may be a problem with the devcon enabling in his mod :)
I've all but given up on him. LOL.. if his mods fail too much, I'll most likely delete the mod and work on it myself.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I've all but given up on him. LOL.. if his mods fail too much, I'll most likely delete the mod and work on it myself.
What failure do I have bud? ... or you just yankin' my chain a bit? DevCon works as intended... as a matter of fact you don't even need to implement your own file to get the console like y'all been doing for who knows how long. Just go into SanchoOptions/Cheats, enable the DevCon, then press <shift>+"r" to reload. Done. How 'bout those apples? :cool:

Reactions: Night Hacker
4.80 star(s) 13 Votes