BorgiaBou

Jul 24, 2021
You'll play for an entire day and then wait another year for episode 10!!!! Whoopi!!!
I mean to be honest the last update took me about one and a half week to finish it if i remember right (played about 2-3 hr per day or one nut bust:D) but still i think the waiting periods for an update is becoming ridiculous...

Reactions: Razrback16

Darth Sidious

The Senate & Emperor of the First Galactic Empire
Donor
Sep 24, 2017
Interesting nvidia is boasting double the performance of the 3090 with the 4090, hopefully he upgrades. Maybe in the best case scenario it lowers development time. But I doubt it.
It does not, unless what ever rendering programs he uses use DLSS 3 which I doubt, otherwise it's probably a +20% upgrade.

Oliver Wendell Homely

May 9, 2020
Will I miss something if I play the Brawler minigame on medium difficulty? Or should I play on Hard difficulty? I'm going for 100%.
I don't think it makes any difference. If playing on Steam there might be an achievement for playing it on the highest difficulty, but as far as the game goes, you don't need to. In fact, you don't need to play any of the minigames. If you select not to play minigames, the game will give you other avenues for making money and unlocking special renders.

Darth Sidious

The Senate & Emperor of the First Galactic Empire
Donor
Sep 24, 2017
Ok I used the Search function to find an an update on the game but saw nothing in the first few pages. So, has anyone leaked the Status Update from today yet?

Oliver Wendell Homely

May 9, 2020
Another nice write up but the only thing that I would consider "good" is the fact that it relatively close to a release. If it is a December release it will still be nine months for a single episode to be playable. At the current rate the second half of the game will likely be in development for close to a decade. That's a ridiculously long time for one game, I think.

For me personally, the extended dev times of the updates won't be worth it. I'm in these things for the stories but to me it looks like DPC's mind set has switches to quantity over quality. I wont know until I play it of course but the outlook for this is grim in my book.
There certainly is a lot of quantity, in terms of special renders and other features, but the story itself is also forcing longer development times. That is, the quality of the game is driving increases in quantity. With all the choices players have, DPC has to create several branches, each with their own plots and details. If you compare BaDIK with other games that also offer choices, BaDIK is much more sophisticated. Most games offer binary choices (yes or no) to engaging in sex, for example, but the story itself doesn't change (maybe only some dialogue does). DPC says players will need to have at least ten saves to see all possible content in this episode. So in a way, he's creating 10 episodes. They all share a lot of the same scenes and storylines, but the unique elements of each require a lot of work. Future episodes may get even more complicated, depending on how much choice we get. I suspect that at some point DPC will need to pare down the choices or have some outside force change the story in a way that supersedes our choices, just to prevent the branching from becoming totally unmanageable. Otherwise, development times will become exponentially longer with each episode.

binbo3126

Feb 15, 2020
The chain is a bit involved, but essentially if you tell Heather about the jock unconscious on her bed (after he's done talking with Lily) you'll have the option to get her a drink. Mix Heather something with Absinthe (found in Lily's desk) and you can choose to tell her about Tommy.

The catch is that you can only tell Heather about the jock if you picked the DIK Major Decision to make the alphas leave the party; otherwise the jock will be in the bed, but you can't tell Heather about it. Also, you can't make that Major Decision if you already have permanent CHICK Affinity.
I cant choose the Absinthe in the table why ?

nyrek

Apr 19, 2021
I cant choose the Absinthe in the table why ?
1. have you taken it from lily's room?
2. did you choose to get rid of the alphas?
3. did you tell heather jimmy is passed out drunk on her bed?
4. did you tell heather tommy fucked tanya?

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
It will be ironically funny if this leads to a fire in which Dr PinkCake dies
Imagine that you come to the rescue during a fire and get options:
1. Save DrPinkCake
2. Save his hard drives with the game code and all materials
3. Save his feminist wife
Acting Lessons vibes intensifies :ROFLMAO:

There certainly is a lot of quantity, in terms of special renders and other features, but the story itself is also forcing longer development times. That is, the quality of the game is driving increases in quantity. With all the choices players have, DPC has to create several branches, each with their own plots and details. If you compare BaDIK with other games that also offer choices, BaDIK is much more sophisticated. Most games offer binary choices (yes or no) to engaging in sex, for example, but the story itself doesn't change (maybe only some dialogue does). DPC says players will need to have at least ten saves to see all possible content in this episode. So in a way, he's creating 10 episodes. They all share a lot of the same scenes and storylines, but the unique elements of each require a lot of work. Future episodes may get even more complicated, depending on how much choice we get. I suspect that at some point DPC will need to pare down the choices or have some outside force change the story in a way that supersedes our choices, just to prevent the branching from becoming totally unmanageable. Otherwise, development times will become exponentially longer with each episode.
Simple solutions that can speed up development without cutting the game:
- Hire help for a certain kind of work. For example a drawer(hello Heycock) or a coder.
- Upgrade hardware, like changing graphics cards to RTX 4090, which is a huge performance boost
- Stop improving the graphics. It is already good and not inferior to AAA games. It won't take that long to render animations.

Last edited:

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Another nice write up but the only thing that I would consider "good" is the fact that it relatively close to a release. If it is a December release it will still be nine months for a single episode to be playable. At the current rate the second half of the game will likely be in development for close to a decade. That's a ridiculously long time for one game, I think.

For me personally, the extended dev times of the updates won't be worth it. I'm in these things for the stories but to me it looks like DPC's mind set has switches to quantity over quality. I wont know until I play it of course but the outlook for this is grim in my book.
It's all relative; I had been worried we'd be staring down the barrel of a January release the way DPC kept upping the targets. This time he actually reduced the animation targets slightly (with only a minor increase in statics). That's a good sign in my book, even if the rosy scenario (a late November release) is still well short of ideal.

As for the long development cycles, they honestly don't bother me as long as I have faith that a) the work will eventually be finished, and b) I'll enjoy the end result. I not worried that DPC will abandon the game before finishing Episode 9, so that's not an issue. But the way Episode 8 ended makes me extremely nervous about whether I'm going to like Episode 9.

My fear is that Season 3 is going to be a grueling slog where DPC pulls out every trick in the book to avoid advancing the relationship we supposedly just started until Season 4. IMHO we already had too much of that in Season 2. I'm not up for waiting another 3-4 years before we get to the good bits; I'll just put the game on the backburner until Season 4 is underway. But it's entirely possible my read is wrong and DPC does intend to flesh out the various branches, in which case I'll be happy to follow the news as we go.

Sadly, we've now spent nearly a year in limbo with no clear idea of where Episode 9 (and thus Season 3 as a whole) is headed, which has not made me a happy camper. So I'll take any indication this particular dev cycle is nearing an end as a good sign.

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
no, I want you to imagine you can tell that asshole
LISTEN HERE, UPDATE EVERY 4 MONTHS OR I GO HODOR ON YOUR ASS
I will say that 6 months, that is, twice a year will be ok, I understand the level of this game and how it rises above other VN. 9 months is too long, with all due respect to his work. Not because "I'm tired of waiting", but because the release of the third season will then take too long and the game turns into a long-term construction. Like GTA VI

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
The power consumption of 8 4090s alone is absurd, not to speak about the initial investment which is also huge even if he sells all the 3090s at a decent price. I hope he does it but I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.
The 40XX series gives a big performance boost,
but I hope he doesn't think of improving the graphics again and adding Ray-tracing to animations, for example.:HideThePain:
As someone who understands a little about electrics: 4090s will consume a lot of electricity.
While it's true they do have a slightly higher max TDP, the hardware requirements for the 4090 are the same as a 3090FE card. If he's got his stuff set up to handle 8 machines already, he's going to be fine even if he replaces all the cards. Yank the old, drop in the new, update your drivers, and off you go.

As far as the "investment cost", he's bringing in at least $10,000 USD/month (assuming bare minimums for pledges). Let's assume for whatever reason he's got an exceptionally expensive monthly cost of living (due to electricity usage) and call that 1500/mo. Okay, that brings our minimum down to 8500. The Zotac 4090 Trinity is going for roughly (allowing for Euro to USD conversion) $1,940 each.

Granted, I don't know his income taxation rate, but regardless of what it is, I would wager he's got a fair amount of money banked up to cover emergencies or other 'needs' (like future hardware replacement). Let's round the cost up to an even $2,000 each. If he's truly using 8 machines full-time, that's a $16,000 upgrade cost, which absolutely sounds painful, but that still falls under 2 months worth of income for him (at minimum) after you've already deducted estimated living expenses.

In the US, that would be $16k of business expense writeoffs, on top of whatever he got in credit for the 3090s, which he can now sell to recoup some money. He could probably offload them for $1,000 each and watch them disappear over night, just to get the junk out of his home/workspace, and in the big picture, it has barely made a dent in his net profits, and now he can produce a hell of a lot more. Maybe he'll only start with 4 cards, and do some in-house side-by-side becnhmarking, to decide if he can instead scale-down how many computers he's using at once because of the performance gains.

One way or another, I expect he'll be looking to replace every 3090 card he's using, either in all in the machines, or in the machines he intends to keep, before dismantling/repurposing the other ones. Unless he takes it a step further and decides to build all-new workstations from the ground up with better processors and such as well, but that's a bit extreme when your GPU is doing all the heavy lifting.

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes