Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
It can be far simpler, on certain route MC might turn out to have STD if he slept with, say, any of Quinn's prostitutes. Or any girl from the "others". It'll then be precisely "a result of your own action".

That it may happens on one route but not on another is irrelevant. This kind of differences between routes can happen in this kind of games. And no, before someone starts screaming, it's not "bad writing". There's no obligation for the game to allow the player metagame based on what they saw in other routes.
Yes it does, that's what writing a consistent story means. Different routes should give complementary stuff, but consistent with each other. Getting an STD could be a punishment for some routes, but make it so that a same scene has different results depending on a later decisions would make the game a worse experience and would break logic. You don't have to allow metagame, but your story would suffer for it.

you see the game as a single story with different decisions. so all actions happen on all branches at the same time and have the same results as long as it's not branch exclusive. and each result comes immediately after a decision. you fuck someone with STD, you get STD

another way to look at it would be considering each branch as its own story. then it only has to be consistent within that branch and "same" actions on different branches don't have to have same results. you fuck someone who has STD on another branch, you don't get STD because this branch has some other shit that the branch with STD doesn't

it makes writing complicated but not necessarily bad (or maybe I'm too used to time travel and alternate universe stories)
"or maybe I'm too used to time travel and alternate universe stories"
I'm actually very surprised you say that. For time travel stories is extremely important to keep cause and effect perfectly clear. If the state of the world is the same it will always produce the same result, if it doesn't it means something was changed. At the end of episode eight he is already infected or he isn't. Choosing Jill or not can't change it. The only way I see of this happening is... time travel :KEK: . Not choosing Jill makes it so something travels back and makes some girl that on a Jill path wasn't infected get infected. Anything else would be a break of cause and effect. The engaging part of these stories is seeing how some actions change the outcome. The result doesn't have to be immediate, but it has to be sound. Getting an STD or not two months later because you decided to be with one person or another is the kind of thing that would ruin a story.

Let's say the MC's mother is a Burgmeister on Jill's route, so you get a Romeo and Juliet kind of story on Jill's path; a Morgan on Sage's so you're her cousin; Miranda's sister so you're Tommy's cousin on Josy and Maya's; or James's sister on Bella's path. Do you think this would be a compelling story? (Well, some of these sound hilarious, and imagining the discussions the day after release sound extremely fun :KEK: . But that's besides the point).

honestly, I don't even know why we're talking about STDs, I just have nothing better to do than arguing about non-linear storytelling with different timelines
I... I don't remember anymore how this started :KEK:

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Yes it does, that's what writing a consistent story means. Different routes should give complementary stuff, but consistent with each other.
You are, again, presuming that consistency is obligatory. It isn't. It is not uncommon, in particular for visual novels, to be effectively a collection of stories that share the settings and cast, but diverge to the point of being contradictory, based on player's choices.

While such approach may not be to your liking, some people will actually prefer it, as it means they get to experience different stories instead of the exact same thing over and over and over, as they work through different routes.

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
What is with the obsession with std's today lol
Haha! I have been actively following the thread for only two to three months, I think. And it is most curious. For the last few days, for instance, there weren't that many new posts for what the norm is here. And then, in the last 24h...

tenor.gif

My game graphic quality has dropped significantly since the last timee I played. Do you guys know why that has happened and how can i fix it? (I'm not using any mods)
First time hearing of this issue, HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN HELP YOU.
Also, a hint, when asking for help, make it more visible like this.
People get stuck in the dumbest talks in this thread, so sometimes people asking for help get overlooked ;)
Honestly, I also read your post, ConvertedEquis
But much like TGL, I do not have any idea what may be happening there. First time I hear about that as well. Let's hope there's someone who can help.

RBear87

Jan 17, 2023
Amazing how quickly this thread went from hardly having time to keep up with everyone posting to almost dead quiet. I guess all this talk about STDs got everyone to go get tested at the same time!?
:unsure::cautious:

:ROFLMAO:
Not going to lie, the in depth STD discussion is making me think DPC might be on Hideo Kojima levels of having fans going overboard analyzing details.

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
Not going to lie, the in depth STD discussion is making me think DPC might be on Hideo Kojima levels of having fans going overboard analyzing details.
I'll admit in my case, guilty as charged!
But in my defense though, I typically stay away and avoid at all costs any spoilers or cheat sheets/walkthroughs, so I tend to overthink stuff and try to figure out the plot before reaching the last page.

But the flaw in my plan was, this site is all about cheat sheets and the likes. So I fell into the abyss. hehe

drifter139

Dec 11, 2019
I need some help. I try to play season 3 and get maybe 2 minutes into it and the game crashes. I don't know why and I feel like it's impossible to play. I used the mod all the way through season 2 to the end where it told me to save and I don't know what to do because it feels like it's impossible to play that far without the mod

anonnyscouse

Jul 25, 2020
I need some help. I try to play season 3 and get maybe 2 minutes into it and the game crashes. I don't know why and I feel like it's impossible to play. I used the mod all the way through season 2 to the end where it told me to save and I don't know what to do because it feels like it's impossible to play that far without the mod
It's the mod that's killed the game. If it's Scrappy's mod you're better starting again either unmodded or with Sancho's mod instead (you'll need to uninstall and reinstall to clean the game of the mod), Scrappy's code conflicted with DPC's because it didn't take into account conflicting values like multiple paths being open or going on the picnic date and helping Sage when she's ill. Sancho's mod doesn't let you keep multiple paths open and forces you to choose a preferred option even when letting you view concurrent scenes so DPC hasn't been able to kill it yet.

drifter139

Dec 11, 2019
It's the mod that's killed the game. If it's Scrappy's mod you're better starting again either unmodded or with Sancho's mod instead (you'll need to uninstall and reinstall to clean the game of the mod), Scrappy's code conflicted with DPC's because it didn't take into account conflicting values like multiple paths being open or going on the picnic date and helping Sage when she's ill. Sancho's mod doesn't let you keep multiple paths open and forces you to choose a preferred option even when letting you view concurrent scenes so DPC hasn't been able to kill it yet.
it's Sancho's mod and I killed all other paths with Jill being my choice

RBear87

Jan 17, 2023
I can't figure out why Jill would have a different costume in Episode 9 depending on if you are on her path or not. It makes no sense.
I think mostly for the laughs, but it may also be because as a date of the MC she is more comfortable being herself where as the other paths she is perhaps trying to get a little out of her comfort zone and opted for the sexier option.

Reactions: Neyragrat tsaL
4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes