walker188

Apr 30, 2017
Here's my five cents.
For a game of the caliber of ВAD or what DPC wants it to be, the characters in the game are too flat.
Hell, they don't even literally have hobbies, they're just regular puppets that walk and talk.
That's why Zoey is one of the best characters, because we know so much more about her than the others. Zoey loves rock music, skateboarding and surfing, loves to draw, and loves to take risks. Tends to get emotional and impulsive.
We don't know anything like that about other girls.
Bella - she likes yoga, drinking wine and reading books.
Jill - likes yoga and classical music, plays the piano.
Sage - likes whiskey, sex and parties.
Josy- likes strawberry daiquiris.
Maya - likes to watch movies.
Quinn - hates broccoli, likes to manipulate people, and hates making out with guys.
That's too little. None of them root for a sports team, none of them have speech impediments or write with their left hand, none of them have a bad habit that is cute or funny. None of them are into comic books or video games.
That's what annoys me the most. The characters are memorable, but they're too flat and superficial.
I think you're oversimplifying or simply not able to see characters as deeply as they're meant to be seen. For instance, anyone could read Animal Farm, its basically a (modern day) 10th grade reading level. But lets say you read it with absolutely zero knowledge of communism, or at least you never realized the main characters are an allegory for the Russian revolution. Its an extremely simple story about the corruptive nature of power and the evils that lurk even in those with the 'best' intentions. BUUUUUT, the story ISN'T meant to be read that way. It's meant to be read with a certain level of baseline knowledge that COMPLETES the readers understanding of the characters and narrative. Doesn't mean wither way to read it is wrong, but there is an intention there on the part of Orwell.

Similarly, there's a lot more to the characters in BaD than just the things they say. You can to read their expressions, gauge their reactions and most importantly see what they DO. For instance, my favorite character as of Ep 9 is Maya. There's a lot I could say about Maya, but probably the most interesting thing about her is her world view. This is a girl who's got a hole where her mom should be, a Dad who treats her like a hostage, and a girlfriend/ex-girlfriend who treats her like an option. There is NO reason for her to a nice, generous person who does the right thing. Seriously. Most people in her situation are bitter, broken and cruel (a la Quinn). But Maya's NOT. She's the inverse. And yes, we know a couple of her hobbies because she tells us. But if you pay attention, you can also start to figure out more of her personality. Maya is determined.* Maya is lonely.** Maya is empathetic.*** Maya has a character flaw of envy(which contrasts beautifully with her empathy).****

I could go on and on and on, but the point is that in a given story, we don't learn about characters to learn their daily schedule, eg their 'hobbies'. We learn about their 'hobbies' to understand the character. At the beginning of a story, we don't know what a character will do in a given situation. We slowly learn about a character's values over the course of the narrative, and in the best stories, they show, don't tell. Take Star Wars for example. We know exactly TWO of Han Solo's hobbies, we can assume he plays that hologram board game, and we hear him mention he won his ship in a card game. However, we learn throughout the film that he's NOT a traditional hero, he wants to get paid. We learn WHY he wants to get paid. After he does get paid, he abandons the cause. And then at the end he shows growth by returning. So by the end we have a much greater understanding of the character.

Similarly we learn tons of things about Maya (and others) without her directly stating her values. For instance, at the end of Ep 9, when the throuple wakes up in bed, Maya complains about a headache. Josy asks, 'Can we just sleep in today?' and Maya replies 'they should help clean up'. This tells us one thing about each character (which is already in alignment with things we already know). Josy is a little bit spoiled. She doesn't default to think about others needs. Maya on the other hand, even when she's in pain, wants to help (this might even be a third thing, as people who have low self esteem like Maya, sometimes feel an excessive need to be useful to 'justify' their own place in a group).

I actually think the writing in this game is BETTER than you give it credit for. But the better written something is, the more reading skill it takes to understand it. Info dumps and filler scenes are super easy to consume and basically stop a narrative dead in its tracks. Whereas 'blink and you miss it' stories, where you have to actually THINK about what a character is doing or saying is much more difficult.

*She faces regular obstacles to her success, and yet always keeps trying, even when it pushes past her comfort zone.
** She is regularly excluded and many shots in the game have her sitting alone, in an isolated setting, or emphasize how excluded she feels.
*** She's expressed interest in social work, which is basically therapy. She wants to help other people as her career. She regularly helps or offers to help others with nothing in return.
**** She wishes she was as carefree as her brother. Wishes she had a loving parent like Josy.

Last edited:

walker188

Apr 30, 2017
anyone know how to find good games like this with a decent playtime and a good story.
'A man for all' is pretty fun. Not as high production values as BaD, but a bit more edge to the story and I personally think the Dev is a little less vanilla and writes slightly hotter sex scenes (again, the renders and animations aren't NEARLY as pretty though). If you've never played, its got tons of content for you to catch up on, at least two hours of play time. More if you're a slow reader.

Kpyna

Dec 16, 2022
Yeah, man. We need Interludes for what would have been at least a short amount of dialogue lines from the LIs or some other simple visual information.

Great comparison. And yes, it's tertiary to add depth (which is always good) to your characters :FacePalm:
I never told it's bad or something, I meant that if you don't do something like a flashback or an interlude, then it should come to the place and not look like a forced event out of nowhere. During some scenes, hanging out together, etc. - why not, a few lines of dialogue or a short flashback will be quite appropriate and feel "right". At the moment, we more or less know about the hobbies of Maya, Jill and Bella, but Josy and Quinn are still poorly disclosed. Details about most girls families and parents are also gradually emerging.

Dofus 4 life

Oct 18, 2023
Hahaha, thanks no. NebulousShooter has it right.

Going from Being a Dik to College Kings, is like saying just get some fentanyl cause you can't find any heroin.

That shit is poison, do not put it in your body.
nora is hot tho. stupid, but hot. i did play only until you fuck nora and forgot the game until recently xD

jd8097619

Aug 27, 2019
anyone know how to find good games like this with a decent playtime and a good story.
Defending Lydia Collier is probably one of the better "Adult Visual Novels" on here. Not as polished and has some massive breaking of suspension of disbelief at times but is very good at what it wants to do.

Also doesn't take a year at a time to get updates.

Reactions: Killerwhale5678

Darkwen

Forum Fanatic
Nov 10, 2020
Maya complains about a headache. Josy asks, 'Can we just sleep in today?' and Maya replies 'they should help clean up'. This tells us one thing about each character (which is already in alignment with things we already know). Josy is a little bit spoiled.
How is Josy asking can't we sleep in being spoiled? Maya is one of the most spoiled of all time she's never had a job in her life, wants the world to know about her problems and hasn't once try to solve her shit always waits for others to. I like Maya but she is very spoiled. Josy doesn't have a spoiled bone in her body but I have no problem spoiling her greatly she earn it

Aug 29, 2023
This weekend I tried a fuck-nobody-but-Sage path through the game. Lots of fun sex but goddamn she’s moody; it’s way more obvious when she’s the only one the MC is fucking.

The funny bit was when I got to his meeting with Sage and Quinn about the Halloween party, and they started talking about threesomes, and (since I had the MC be a great big DIK) I figured I’d have him respond in character and say yes he would like a threesome—fully expecting Quinn to turn him down, because thus far he’d shown her nothing but rejection, and she responded in kind. To my great surprise Quinn agreed to it. “I don’t even like him,” she told Sage, but holy lord, she took his footlong right in the ass just the same. So that was unexpected.

I dunno; Sage used to be my favorite LI cuz she’s got a DIK affinity, and is down to pound. But after this run I realized she was only with Tremolo because (a) he’s a good friend who listens on the few occasions she unburdens herself, and (b) he’ll usually fuck her whenever and however she wants. Unlike Chad.

In other words he might be serious about her, but she still largely thinks of him as a fuckbuddy. An exclusive fuckbuddy, but still.

It’s not love, like Josy or Jill, or even Maya (we all know what “I really like you” means). It’s not even infatuation, like Bella or Nicole or Riona, or infatuation-in-denial like Quinn. It’s a friendship with benefits. Which might turn into love, but if it doesn’t, it won’t last, cuz our bitch Tremolo wants love.

Incidentally there was a totally missed opportunity in episode 9. This didn’t happen but should have:

Retard1.jpg

Retard2.jpg

walker188

Apr 30, 2017
How is Josy asking can't we sleep in being spoiled? Maya is one of the most spoiled of all time she's never had a job in her life, wants the world to know about her problems and hasn't once try to solve her shit always waits for others to. I like Maya but she is very spoiled. Josy doesn't have a spoiled bone in her body but I have no problem spoiling her greatly she earn it
You seem to be taking this very personally. First of all, its just my interpretation of the character. That being said, Josy has her college fully paid for by her family. She's a self described 'Daddy's girl'. She hasn't had a lot of hardship in her life, I think the toughest thing to happen to her was her parent's divorce? In the narrative of the story, she hasn't had to work particularly hard for anything. She has a tendency to quit when things DO get hard.

None of this is a bad thing. Its okay for people to have flaws, and its especially okay for characters in stories to have flaws. Frankly, if a character is perfect, they're pretty boring and unrealistic.

As for Maya being spoiled, you're right that she's never had a job in the game, but that's all you're right about. The first thing Maya DOES in BaD is try to solve her own problems without anyone elses help (she pledges to the HOTs). She actually doesn't just lay her problems on the MC either. He repeatedly ASKS and tries to understand her situation. You may not have WANTED to do that, but that's the story DPC is telling. Fuckface lives with Maya for a few days and tries to get to know her. Even after they decide to team up Maya doesn't just say, 'solve my problems for me, Fuckface', she offers to help him complete his list and he will do the same for her.

None of that is spoiled behaviour. In fact I would argue of all the LI Maya and Quinn are pretty well tied for being least 'spoiled'.

walker188

Apr 30, 2017
This weekend I tried a fuck-nobody-but-Sage path through the game. Lots of fun sex but goddamn she’s moody; it’s way more obvious when she’s the only one the MC is fucking.

Incidentally there was a totally missed opportunity in episode 9. This didn’t happen but should have:

View attachment 3046615

View attachment 3046617
Yeah. I was a total Sage-fucker, but her decline in quality over season 2 is REAL. Moreover, what we got in Ep9 makes me think its going to continue.

Sidenote, your pic made me laugh until i had to poop. I have to go change my shorts now. Bravo.

JJ1960

Jan 12, 2017

The funny bit was when I got to his meeting with Sage and Quinn about the Halloween party, and they started talking about threesomes, and (since I had the MC be a great big DIK) I figured I’d have him respond in character and say yes he would like a threesome—fully expecting Quinn to turn him down, because thus far he’d shown her nothing but rejection, and she responded in kind. To my great surprise Quinn agreed to it. “I don’t even like him,” she told Sage, but holy lord, she took his footlong right in the ass just the same. So that was unexpected.

I dunno; Sage used to be my favorite LI cuz she’s got a DIK affinity, and is down to pound. But after this run I realized she was only with Tremolo because (a) he’s a good friend who listens on the few occasions she unburdens herself, and (b) he’ll usually fuck her whenever and however she wants. Unlike Chad.

In other words he might be serious about her, but she still largely thinks of him as a fuckbuddy. An exclusive fuckbuddy, but still.

It’s not love, like Josy or Jill, or even Maya (we all know what “I really like you” means). It’s not even infatuation, like Bella or Nicole or Riona, or infatuation-in-denial like Quinn. It’s a friendship with benefits. Which might turn into love, but if it doesn’t, it won’t last, cuz our bitch Tremolo wants love.

View attachment 3046615

View attachment 3046617
He's going to get in trouble using his pet name for Jill with Sage.

• Haha
Reactions: Letum0317

Darkwen

Forum Fanatic
Nov 10, 2020
You seem to be taking this very personally. First of all, its just my interpretation of the character. That being said, Josy has her college fully paid for by her family. She's a self described 'Daddy's girl'. She hasn't had a lot of hardship in her life, I think the toughest thing to happen to her was her parent's divorce? In the narrative of the story, she hasn't had to work particularly hard for anything. She has a tendency to quit when things DO get hard.

None of this is a bad thing. Its okay for people to have flaws, and its especially okay for characters in stories to have flaws. Frankly, if a character is perfect, they're pretty boring and unrealistic.

As for Maya being spoiled, you're right that she's never had a job in the game, but that's all you're right about. The first thing Maya DOES in BaD is try to solve her own problems without anyone elses help (she pledges to the HOTs). She actually doesn't just lay her problems on the MC either. He repeatedly ASKS and tries to understand her situation. You may not have WANTED to do that, but that's the story DPC is telling. Fuckface lives with Maya for a few days and tries to get to know her. Even after they decide to team up Maya doesn't just say, 'solve my problems for me, Fuckface', she offers to help him complete his list and he will do the same for her.

None of that is spoiled behaviour. In fact I would argue of all the LI Maya and Quinn are pretty well tied for being least 'spoiled'.
Hasn't had a lot of hard ship? I hope your joking because that a lie and you know it. Josy parent's getting a divorce is really touch thing to go through. Plus she has Tommy as a step brother that's something no one should go through:ROFLMAO:. We have never seen Josy quit on anything. There is nothing boring about Josy she sweet, open to trying new things and wild in sheets. The one time Maya thinks she doing something to fit tuition issue is to fall for a very stupid rumor and hasn't done anything sense. If Maya didn't have Josy, family and tuition problems she is very boring. Maya is Josy side kick, I will say Maya got a lot better the last two EP's but she's never done anything to solve her shit it always Josy that comes to save her ass, facts

iggy.

Mar 24, 2022

It’s not love, like Josy or Jill, or even Maya (we all know what “I really like you” means). It’s not even infatuation, like Bella or Nicole or Riona, or infatuation-in-denial like Quinn. It’s a friendship with benefits. Which might turn into love, but if it doesn’t, it won’t last, cuz our bitch Tremolo wants lov
I think her storyline is actually quite good. The thing is people close to her hide huge secrets. For example her VP is running a trap house and brothel right under her nose. Her exboyfriend used her for status and to hide his sexuality. Her father is a fucking creep who runs prostitution ring and sleeps with college girls. Her brother is also fucking creep who tries to blackmail Jill. Not to mention her mom tries to hit on Tremolo.

Sage will discover all of this sooner or later, I mean we can already tell her the truth about Chad. And when she finds out, someone is getting their ass beat. It might even be Tremolo if we mess around with both mom and daughter lol...and according to Chad she hits really hard

But if do things the right way, Tremolo is going to be that one guy who is honest to her from the very start, and she will finally see our boy as more than just a friend with benefits

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
Defending Lydia Collier is probably one of the better "Adult Visual Novels" on here. Not as polished and has some massive breaking of suspension of disbelief at times but is very good at what it wants to do.

Also doesn't take a year at a time to get updates.
Sadly I'm 200% turned off from that Title.
I got sick to my stomach after the creator's third use of the word "whilst". I swear he must cum everytime he uses it. It's fine to use in some circumstances, but his overuse of it just makes him come across as a pompous rich british snob.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
I don't know...I think there have been scenes that make clear that there is a bit more coming from her direction as well.

Like when the MC tells her, that he decided for someone else she seems to be legitimately bummed out. If it was only about having a fuckbuddy she could easily find someone else.

What she does tell the MC is, that she isn't big on expressing her feelings explicitly. So something like "I love you!" will likely not come from her anytime soon. Being able to open up to the MC already seems to be a massive show of trust from her end. Yes, you can interpret that as "just being friends", but in my opinion she really does want more from the MC than just him being her fuckbuddy.

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes