TripleV

Jun 10, 2018
It's an issue inherent in all adult games because it has become the nature of them that the MC is a babe magnet who attracts all girls to him, even ones who are not LIs and therefore don't have a path to an ending with them. Even when devs try to strike a balance by making it clear that the MC and a random side girl have no future together, players still push for it, just as they will sometimes push for girls who were never going to be with the MC to be with, i.e. KRJ. ;)

In terms of "the most talked plot problem", I think it does relate to this very thing because a major issue was the fact that he wasn't the central figure in that moment. M&J both seem to forget he's there for a moment as they have their inexplicably and unbelievably quick reconciliation, and whilst these 2 were/are in a relationship, the MC perhaps should have been the central figure because not only was he the one to clear the air and try to bring them all together, but he was also the person they both developed feelings for and had their "affair" with.

For the MC to not feel central in that moment goes against conventional adult game storytelling, and sometimes it feels like this is what DPC is wanting to do, but it doesn't always seem to work for them. AL tried to do this too with the death of a LI and it proved highly controversial, even if DPC is still happy with that decision, but as much as they keep seemingly wanting to try and reinvent the wheel, I don't think most players want that. So DPC is walking a very fine line here between giving people what they want and pissing them off by subverting expectations and taking some of their agancy as a player away from them.
On the first part, I think that's another thing that is actually pretty common to fiction. If you look at a lot of major shows currently, it's often that people end pushing for relationships that are not the central romantic relationship presented as first, for example the TV show Arrow. This is pure speculation, but I think a reason for it is that often when you have those side characters, they are built to be their own thing, while the central love interest is usually defined as being a love interest and thus often feels lacking that own character to the same degree. As a result, the dynamics concerning side characters can feel a lot more appealing as they are more fun or interesting as they are developed to their own entities independent of the main character. I feel the same applies to adult games.

As for the plot problem reference, I was talking about M/J situation, but I also disagree that is presented here is the central problem. It does touch on it, though, as at that point in Episode 4, I think it was rather illustrative in that it was this sudden other story. Like I don't mind that MC wasn't a part of that discussion, as it was their relationship, but as you mention, it came out of absolutely nowhere. Their whole story before that had been about MC and who he was the only person they cared about, so to have that discussion at that point was just baffling.

However, and I'm trying to be careful as I don't want to derail the central point I was trying to make about choice, what happened in Episode 5 with M/J was so insane that I don't know how to even discuss from that perspective anymore.

zoyle

Jan 23, 2019
That would be a strumpet. I said "crumpet". ;)

It's an issue inherent in all adult games because it has become the nature of them that the MC is a babe magnet who attracts all girls to him, even ones who are not LIs and therefore don't have a path to an ending with them. Even when devs try to strike a balance by making it clear that the MC and a random side girl have no future together, players still push for it, just as they will sometimes push for girls who were never going to be with the MC to be with, i.e. KRJ. ;)

In terms of "the most talked plot problem", I think it does relate to this very thing because a major issue was the fact that he wasn't the central figure in that moment. M&J both seem to forget he's there for a moment as they have their inexplicably and unbelievably quick reconciliation, and whilst these 2 were/are in a relationship, the MC perhaps should have been the central figure because not only was he the one to clear the air and try to bring them all together, but he was also the person they both developed feelings for and had their "affair" with.

For the MC to not feel central in that moment goes against conventional adult game storytelling, and sometimes it feels like this is what DPC is wanting to do, but it doesn't always seem to work for them. AL tried to do this too with the death of a LI and it proved highly controversial, even if DPC is still happy with that decision, but as much as they keep seemingly wanting to try and reinvent the wheel, I don't think most players want that. So DPC is walking a very fine line here between giving people what they want and pissing them off by subverting expectations and taking some of their agancy as a player away from them.

I've mentioned this before, but the HOT uniform is from a Daz asset called " ", and both the HOT name and colour scheme are part of that asset.

Also, Sage's HOT uniform in the Ep 5 flashback is from the " " asset.
Haven't been in here in a while (unfortunate there's still no update, alas), but I think you're spot on re: choice. Gamers tend to gravitate towards 'player choice/sandbox' games that actually let you have everything (think, say, Fallout 4 or Skyrim) and force the player to make very few choices where options are mutually exclusive (such as being able to do everything in FO4 until the very final quests where you have to make faction choices, if you do it correctly).

This is made a bit of a bigger problem for episodic VN type games like this because we don't know what will come in the future, and people would prefer not to have to have 6 separate saves from 6 playthroughs to see all the paths and do the one they'd like to do. Even in this game, you kind of need 2 (a DIK and a neutral/CHICK setup) to experience the full range of options.

Maya/Josy kind of was the first time this game really forced people into that sort of permanent choice, and people have to make it without actually knowing the long-term/final consequences of the choice. There's a bunch of game paths closed off by being a heavy DIK character (Maya/Josy, Jill is much more difficult), but not much payoff yet on the other side (just some side scenes, as CHICK characters have no real penalties with Sage).

I've been a part of a 3-person poly relationship for many years (about 15 now) and I actually think that BaD comes as close as I've ever seen in the adult VN space to handling it in a realistic fashion, which is to say that it's handled about as realistically as the rest of the storyline (IE it is not hyper-realistic, but it touches on legitimate, realistic truths in human interaction beneath the sex fantasy that it's presenting). I can understand why some people do not like the idea of being forced to accept the girls as a pair or not at all, since it closes off (at least apparently) future options. Now, that kind of relationship can evolve in a lot of directions (in my case, the girls are married now, and my relationship with one of the two is now entirely platonic, but the other is not), and probably in ways that are way beyond the scope of this kind of game. But for now, people are in a binary decision state and don't like having their options closed without knowing the consequences.

This is the only adult game that really forced me to make 3 separate playthroughs (I made a Josy/Maya CHICK save that also pursued both Isabella and Jill, a DIK save that focused on Sage, and a 2nd CHICK save that is the same as the first except that it didn't pursue Isabella, just in case there's a difference down the line w/ Jill based on whether you've been involved with Bella). And it'll probably be a long ass time before it's clear whether those were necessary.

When this game is a finished product, I suspect a lot of the mutually-exclusive choices will not be considered that big a deal, as we see them in a lot of other games where their are path choices. But since we don't know yet what those paths are or look like, it creates a lot of uncertainty for the player who is making choices knowing it's removing options down the road, but not knowing what those options ARE. Maybe all the people who don't like the throuple because it doesn't let them be with Josy or Maya individually will be pissed in Ep 8 when those two have an enormous falling out and the player has to choose one or the other, and by choosing friendship they've already closed the door to the path they really wanted to see.

One thing I admire about DPC as a creator is that they are willing to acknowledge the great complexity of human interaction within the space of gaming and offer people imperfect choices and characters who have distinctive and realistic personalities. IMO, they're one of the best storytellers doing this kind of work, along with EvaKiss, as they appear to have an innate feeling for how people really behave. Everything in this kind of game tends to be uber-accelerated (this game is like 2 weeks of real time, where a lot of these relationships would take months to play out this way in real life), but imo the characters at least behave in ways that reflect the often-conflicting and complex emotions that real human beings experience. And that same sense of unsurety that you get because you don't know what the long-term pathing is mimics the way that you, in reality, don't know what's going on in other people's minds and adds a certain vermisilitude to the storytelling. This stands in stark contrast to a lot of games, even pretty good ones, that are mostly on rails except for the player making certain choices about which character(s) they want to try and fuck.

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
Random thing I just wanted to share - over the last few nights I replayed Acting Lessons for the first time since it was completed, and I never realised/didn't remember that
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Not gonna happen. Same fraternity name, different universe. DPC explicitly said so when he was still around.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
a meeting that the girls strongly insisted on and MC initially refused ...

I would not blame the psychological weakness of the players for the reaction to that episode (and DPC noticed his mistake trying to fix it)

then speaking in general that the MC, the main character, is the center of attention does not seem to me an oddity, a whim. the obsessions of the players for very secondary characters all in all is a good sign, it means that somehow even a character with very little time available and well-hidden qualities has caught their attention.

Reactions: Maviarab

Noelle Silva

Jul 18, 2019
people just have their own opinions about everything and it's just a bit more obvious with Maya and Josy because a lot of people disliked episode 4's handling of the relationship between those 2 and the MC

i personally don't like the look of Bella (but i do like her as a character), and she's by far the favorite of the general community so yeah, opinions i guess. I am glad at least some people like Josy though, she's indeed cute and a fun character
Really? I always assumed Jill was by far the most popular of the general community, given she always wins polls and her previews get the most likes but I haven't been around here long enough to make a conclusion.

zoyle

Jan 23, 2019
Really? I always assumed Jill was by far the most popular of the general community, given she always wins polls and her previews get the most likes but I haven't been around here long enough to make a conclusion.
My perception is that Bella is the most popular character in the F95 community but Jill is the most popular character among his Patreon supporters.

Noelle Silva

Jul 18, 2019
My perception is that Bella is the most popular character in the F95 community but Jill is the most popular character among his Patreon supporters.
Funny I view it as the opposite lol. I always perceive Jill was super popular amongst the thread since I saw many, many posters who are fans of her (now less active), and her previews here get the most likes. While I see Bella being popular amongst higher tier patrons, since she won the special render poll for this episode (Sage won the first poll for lowest tier patrons, but overall Bella won from higher tier polls)

Reactions: Boy Blue

Dashxp4k

Aug 17, 2019
Funny I view it as the opposite lol. I always perceive Jill was super popular amongst the thread since I saw many, many posters who are fans of her (now less active), and her previews here get the most likes. While I see Bella being popular amongst higher tier patrons, since she won the special render poll for this episode (Sage won the first poll for lowest tier patrons, but overall Bella won from higher tier polls)
Jill wasnt added in ep 6 poll because she won ep 5 poll. like for ep7 the poll will be Sage, Josy , Maya

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
there are characters that generate stronger reactions that can be offensive or defensive, I think the two most discussed are Maya and Quinn. Josy is dragged in by Maya, but otherwise I think she is quite indifferent.

Jill is at the opposite pole, she is certainly the one that generates the least strong reactions, but I would not say that this means that she is the most appreciated

Caryland

May 23, 2020
v0.5.0 or v0.5.1, ideally not unpacked and not modded.

The v0.5.2 full here isn't an official release and is unpacked, so may have problems patching it to v0.6.

To clear all your previous progress you'd need to delete the persistent file, which is where those unlocked renders are stored.

Ren'Py keep copies of your save files in two places, you need to delete the persistent file from both (I'd create a backup first):
<Wherever you installed BaDIK>\game\saves\
C:\Users\<Your username>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\BeingaDIK-1535311494 or win+r %appdata%\RenPy\BeingaDIK-1535311494
I thought it would be that file when I found it yesterday, but didn't wanna blow shit up! Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Meushi

Naxer

Feb 6, 2020
v0.5.0 or v0.5.1, ideally not unpacked and not modded.

The v0.5.2 full here isn't an official release and is unpacked, so may have problems patching it to v0.6.

To clear all your previous progress you'd need to delete the persistent file, which is where those unlocked renders are stored.

Ren'Py keep copies of your save files in two places, you need to delete the persistent file from both (I'd create a backup first):
<Wherever you installed BaDIK>\game\saves\
C:\Users\<Your username>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\BeingaDIK-1535311494 or win+r %appdata%\RenPy\BeingaDIK-1535311494
I currently have 5.2 version, but if I download the entire game folder when is released, I'll be good to go? The saves will work correctly?

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
I currently have 5.2 version, but if I download the entire game folder when is released, I'll be good to go? The saves will work correctly?
With all Ren'py games I make a habit of deleting everything except the saves folder from the local install location, and then I unpack the new versions into the main folder. Everything has worked fine for all of them - except when a dev screws up and breaks their own savegame system.

Reactions: Naxer
4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes