lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
Well I didn't think we'd even see the MC's birthday until ep 8 for that very reason, but that tweet which will be an in-game Rooster post changes things and seems to move that timeline up quite a bit.
Only if you assume that Derek shoving a piece of cake into MC's mouth is part of MC's birthday celebration and not a do-over for the end of Hell Week. We know that some of the Diks feel bad about how Hell Week ended, it's far from inconcievable that they'd try to throw together a do-over.

There are people much older than the MC who have no idea who their real parents are, it's not an unusual situation. There are people who used to grow up with an "older sister" who turned out to actually be their mother because it was deemed shameful for girls under 18 and out of wedlock to have kids.

Not knowing the truth about your parents, whether you're adopted or grew up with just one parent, is not a foreign concept and happens more often than you'd think.
Apply Occam's razor and see if your hypothesis still works.

It may be fairly common for kids to grow up not knowing who their parents are but nothing we've been shown even hints at that scenario.

It would mean little to him but it could mean a lot to others when they find out because it adds a whole new dynamic to the MC's life even if they try to ignore it. As we've seen, the MC trying to ignore something doesn't work because it will invariably affect him somehow and this would do the same.
MC coming into an inheritence might mean a lot to the people around him and nobody has ever said otherwise, I was arguing that it wouldn'thave any significent effect on the relationship between MC and Neil

Being a loving, supportive parent doesn't mean they're incapable of keeping secrets from their children, especially if they believe they're doing it in the best interests of their child. In that sense, I'd say it's a very parental thing to want to shield your child from something you think would do more harm than good to them.
Neil's a DILF, I don't doubt, for one second, that he's hooked up with a few women since the death of Lynette. Equally, I don't doubt that he's kept those women secret from MC since they, presumably, weren't stepmother material

Usually in these situations, parents will only tell their child the truth when they feel there is a need for it, like if someone who is adopted goes in for an organ transplant, that's when they find their parents aren't compatible donours because they're adopted. In Neil's case, while his son may very well be attending a college named after his mother's family, he probably didn't think there was any way the family would find out so there was no reason to tell him. But since arriving, the MC has been making some waves, including a very public fight with the Jock President, so this may be how the family found out about him and now Neil will be forced to tell him what he was keeping from him.
You don't really believe this do you? I don't have the best relationship with my parents but I know they wouldn't let me attend a college founded by my great-grandparents without warning me that some of the students might be my cousins.

It seems clear he doesn't know because it's noted how his Dad never gives a full and complete story about he and his mother got together, and specifically just says she came from a "rich family". Neil's lack of clarity has led the MC to not really ask his Dad much since he never gets a good enough answer and this, to me, seems like it could be a tactic of Neil's to keep the MC from asking him rather than Neil simply having a bad memory.
It is equally likely that Neil doesn't go into detail when talking to his 18 year old son because he's already said everything that needs to be said prior to the events of the game.
I think Rusty would disagree. I imagine he'd be thrilled to find out the MC is a cousin.
I'm sure he would but that misses the point of my post, MC doesn't have a great deal of interest in his mother's family so learning he and Rusty are cousins would make fuck all difference.

Last edited:

Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
The letter wasn't a cliffhanger in ep 5, it was almost something of a throwaway mention in a text message the morning after the Prep party. It was a small tease but the episode moved on quickly and didn't dwell on it.

As for Chad, we still can't say for sure it was blackmail as that's not explicitly stated. All we know is that he feels threatened by it by not that he is being blackmailed by it.
I knew you would say something along those lines, let me rephrase. Cutting it after the MC opens the letter but without telling us anything about it wouldn't add anything we don't already know. Doing a cliffhanger on alreay known information is lame.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
it won't be impossible, but it is still very uncommon.

MC has a father to ask, and Neil should have given him some explanations in order not to answer him, if he had refused to answer him this would have created tension, curiosity about the matter, and it does not seem to be so

Neil may have lied to him, even in this case there must be a reason, and in any case if he had lied to him MC would still know his mother's surname, the fake one he was told, but he would be convinced that he knew.
it is very different not to know something, or to be convinced that you know it

and all this unlikely and dramatic situation would serve to make MC discover that he is a Burgmeister, who apart from exchanging Christmas greetings with Rusty, that would have additional consequences to the simple fact of belonging to a wealthy family (which he is already aware of) ?
The MC has seemingly asked Neil over the years, but his "memory" isn't so good and he never gives the MC a clear, straight answer, instead he goes off on tangents and mentions a lot of irrelevant details that ends up frustrating the MC. This much is made clear in ep 1 when we get a bit of the story of how the parents met and it's likely one of the reasons why the MC doesn't ask much about her.

Again, it doesn't seem the MC knows his mother's surname at all. In that story Neil tells, all the details are vague about who this "rich family" was and that's likely very much done on purpose. I see no reason why he absolutely has to have known what her surname was all this time because it's not exactly an important detail to know. He knows her first name and that's enough for him.

If the MC is revealed to be a Burgmeister, it opens up some very interesing angles, some of which can still work him gaining an inheritance and not the name of one of the college founders, but having that name would make these things even more impactful as it at least gives the sense of him having a higher standing than if he was just some random rich family legacy.

Only if you assume that Derek shoving a piece of cake into MC's mouth is part of MC's birthday celebration and not a do-over for the end of Hell Week. We know that some of the Diks feel bad about how Hell Week ended, it's far from inconceivable that they'd try to throw together a do-over.
The words "happy birthday" are literally in the tweet.

Capture.PNG

Apply Occam's razor and see if your hypothesis still works.

It may be fairly common for kids to grow up not knowing who their parents are but nothing we've been shown even hints at that scenario.
We know that he knows his mother's first name and that his Dad is an apparent terrible story teller when it comes to telling the tale of how he and Lynette got together and only ever says she came from a "rich family". Her family name isn't mentioned and that's likely deliberate on the part of DPC as it indicates that not only the MC doesn't know, but that it will be a consequential detail to be revealed later on.

You don't really believe this do you? I don't have the best relationship with my parents but I know they wouldn't let me attend a college founded by my great-grandparents without warning me that some of the students might be my cousins.
Yes, I do. A college campus is a big place and the MC comes from a completely lower social standing than the rich families of the college's founding fathers, so Neil probably doesn't think there's any chance he'd ever meet them since they would typically run in different circles. But, plot contrivances being what they are, he has interacted with them when most people in the MC's position aren't normally likely to hang out with the rich legacy kids. It's like if someone like him attended the same college as a member of the Walton family; in the real-world, there's very little chance they'd ever meet due to their different social standings.

The thing always has been for me that, if Neil is indeed keeping such a secret from the MC, even when faced with him attending B&R and the small likelihood of running into distant relatives, then he must have a damn good (or at least justifiable) reason for not telling him and also for hoping that the secret can be kept despite these things.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
The words "happy birthday" are literally in the tweet.

View attachment 803991
Yes and I've just remembered that you've pointed this out to me before so feel free to hit me with a shitload of facepalms :LOL:

In fairness to me, it could be in reference to MC's birth as a full-fledged Dik brother but, even if that turns out to be correct, I'd still be wrong because it isn't something I could deduce from the available evidence.
Yes, I do. A college campus is a big place and the MC comes from a completely lower social standing than the rich families of the college's founding fathers, so Neil probably doesn't think there's any chance he'd ever meet them since they would typically run in different circles. But, plot contrivances being what they are, he has interacted with them when most people in the MC's position aren't normally likely to hang out with the rich legacy kids. It's like if someone like him attended the same college as a member of the Walton family; in the real-world, there's very little chance they'd ever meet due to their different social standings.

The thing always has been for me that, if Neil is indeed keeping such a secret from the MC, even when faced with him attending B&R and the small likelihood of running into distant relatives, then he must have a damn good (or at least justifiable) reason for not telling him and also for hoping that the secret can be kept despite these things.
I'm curious, how big is B&R? The highest dorm room number we've been shown is in the 70s, meaning that, given 2 students per room plus those living in the frat houses and a few living off-campus, there are likely fewer than 200 students attending the college.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Holy Bacchus

Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
Yes and I've just remembered that you've pointed this out to me before so feel free to hit me with a shitload of facepalms :LOL:

In fairness to me, it could be in reference to MC's birth as a full-fledged Dik brother but, even if that turns out to be correct, I'd still be wrong because it isn't something I could deduce from the available evidence.
And the part about the vagina around his neck? C'mon :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: lemonfreak

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018

Nah, no facepalm, but I'll give you one of these: :ROFLMAO:.

And the part about the vagina around his neck? C'mon :ROFLMAO:
Must be one hell of a party. :ROFLMAO:

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I think Rusty would disagree. I imagine he'd be thrilled to find out the MC is a cousin.

I think you don't understand what it means to grow up under the poverty line. Such questions are a luxury for someone who struggles daily.
Would asking your father for your mother's surname be a luxury?

I personally think making the MC a Burg would just confirm my own opinions on DPC's writing.....I really hope it doesn't go in that direction, it's just too easy and lame. I can't see it happening though.
and useless

The MC has seemingly asked Neil over the years, but his "memory" isn't so good and he never gives the MC a clear, straight answer, instead he goes off on tangents and mentions a lot of irrelevant details that ends up frustrating the MC. This much is made clear in ep 1 when we get a bit of the story of how the parents met and it's likely one of the reasons why the MC doesn't ask much about her.
Doesn't Neil remember his wife's last name?

and can he work as a carpenter? !!

we are at the level of basic information, which I doubt MC can not get the same even without the help of the father (who should still justify his choice)

Reactions: Maviarab

flippityflop

Jun 29, 2020
I personally think making the MC a Burg would just confirm my own opinions on DPC's writing.....I really hope it doesn't go in that direction, it's just too easy and lame. I can't see it happening though.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think we're all very much aware of your opinion on DPC's writing. There's really no need to bring that up at every opportunity you get. It's getting a bit excessive at this point.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
As I'm surely is plainly evident by now, I have absolutely no problem if this were to be the case because I actually think it would be a very good twist for all that it could do to affect the dynamic of the story and the MC's relationships with certain characters.

I also don't think it's fair to say that predictability makes someone a bad writer. After all, this story is still incredibly engaging and intriguing in a lot of ways and people have very strong opinions and views on the characters and the story itself. To be able to do that is, for me, the mark of a great writer; to be able to make your audience care that much because they've put so much effort into crafting a rich story with characters that people have come to care for so deeply.

Reactions: Bereg Jonis
4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes