VN Ren'Py Beyond Tomorrow [Ch.1] [Dream Games]

4.30 star(s) 24 Votes

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
I can think of at least one that releases just about monthly with several thousand images.
Could this game just happen to be one of the games from a group of 35+ people equipped with 35+ GPUs for development? At least that's what they say about themselves on their website.

tslojr

Apr 8, 2021
Could this game just happen to be one of the games from a group of 35+ people equipped with 35+ GPUs for development? At least that's what they say about themselves on their website.
I don't believe what you say :ROFLMAO: give me name of game and I'll see for myself but I'm sure it's not true
Nope, just one dude. It's in my signature, can't say the name because I don't want to go off topic.

Reactions: yossa999
Feb 25, 2024
I don't believe what you say :ROFLMAO: give me name of game and I'll see for myself but I'm sure it's not true
I confirm, in 45 days he delivered 1631 renders in chapter 17 and in 40 days he delivered 1322 renders in chapter 18.

But the rendering level of the game in this topic, due to the lighting and the number of polygons, is much more time-consuming than the cited example. I would say it can be up to 4 times slower.

Reactions: tslojr and yossa999

Den1mo

Aug 26, 2023
But the rendering level of the game in this topic, due to the lighting and the number of polygons, is much more time-consuming than the cited example. I would say it can be up to 4 times slower.
My Dorm is a good game but it cannot be compared to BT. he does it full time but most of the time is still taken up by rendering. you probably couldn't expect more from rtx 3060 but it's still insane that he even does what he does

From
1718725721753.png

Reactions: yossa999

tslojr

Apr 8, 2021
My Dorm is a good game but it cannot be compared to BT. he does it full time but most of the time is still taken up by rendering. you probably couldn't expect more from rtx 3060 but it's still insane that he even does what he does

From
View attachment 3747339
Wait wait wait wait wait.... Dream is doing these renders with a damn 3060!? That's just even more impressive.

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
have you ever seen game updated every month here? :ROFLMAO:
Yes
1718742152416.png
sure but none of them makes update containing several thousand images
Yes
1718742192343.png
One person. One GPU rendering. And before v.0.13, it was a 3070

Look at my signature

Once this is said, I was tagged so I'm answering by allusion, two different games shouldn't be compared. Different devs, different expertise, different hardware, and different time available to write/pose/render/translate/etc.

I haven't played Beyond Tomorrow, but it looks amazing.

tslojr

Apr 8, 2021
Yes
View attachment 3748169

Yes
View attachment 3748173

Look at my signature

Once this is said, I was tagged so I'm answering by allusion, two different games shouldn't be compared. Different devs, different expertise, different hardware, and different time available to write/pose/render/translate/etc.

Damn it Trop, what the hell are you doing here!? .19 isn't gonna render itself!

Milton749

Jul 26, 2023
Yes
View attachment 3748169

Yes
View attachment 3748173

Look at my signature

Some Devs think they are entitled to a life outside of rendering and creating dialogue. They are clearly wrong (based on all the evidence presented on F95). :ROFLMAO:

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020

That's impressive, bro, really. But I already regret joining this discussion. Firstly, this is clearly derail us off topic, and secondly, I completely agree with you that two different games shouldn't be compared, especially in the game's on-topic thread.

But since the topic has been raised, I still have to say that in my opinion, your game is a big trade-off between quality and quantity of renders in favor of quantity. I'm not trying to criticize this approach, and it's obvious that many players like it, as evidenced by the large number of followers your game has. It's just not my cup of tea.

And from what I observe, the higher the quality of the images, the more time the devs spend on preparing the scene and rendering. The developers I follow usually release one or two updates which delivers amount of content for several hours of continuous play. Some release frequent updates, once every 1-3 months, but these updates are very short, 15-30 minutes of play each, so in total they release about the same amount of content per year as those who release one update per year. To go deeper into this, I'll need to compare certain games and their metrics, and that's definitely off-topic, so I'll stop here.

It would be a Dream come true to me :Kappa:if they could make 1500 renders in 1.5 months at a quality level comparable to Beyond Tomorrow. But personally, I have not yet found such examples. So, either all the devs I follow are in cahoots, or there are some objective reasons why they cannot release such a big amount of content per month.

TropecitaGames

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
If you guys tag me, I will come and read :ROFLMAO:. And sometimes, answer.

Some Devs think they are entitled to a life outside of rendering and creating dialogue. They are clearly wrong (based on all the evidence presented on F95). :ROFLMAO:
dforce.png
We can use that time to answer posts ;)
That's impressive, bro, really. But I already regret joining this discussion. Firstly, this is clearly derail us off topic, and secondly, I completely agree with you that two different games shouldn't be compared, especially in the game's on-topic thread.

But since the topic has been raised, I still have to say that in my opinion, your game is a big trade-off between quality and quantity of renders in favor of quantity. I'm not trying to criticize this approach, and it's obvious that many players like it, as evidenced by the large number of followers your game has. It's just not my cup of tea.

And from what I observe, the higher the quality of the images, the more time the devs spend on preparing the scene and rendering. The developers I follow usually release one or two updates which delivers amount of content for several hours of continuous play. Some release frequent updates, once every 1-3 months, but these updates are very short, 15-30 minutes of play each, so in total they release about the same amount of content per year as those who release one update per year. To go deeper into this, I'll need to compare certain games and their metrics, and that's definitely off-topic, so I'll stop here.

It would be a Dream come true to me :Kappa:if they could make 1500 renders in 1.5 months at a quality level comparable to Beyond Tomorrow. But personally, I have not yet found such examples. So, either all the devs I follow are in cahoots, or there are some objective reasons why they cannot release such a big amount of content per month.
As I said, two different games can't be compared. So I will answer the technical aspects of your post:
Posing is the real bottleneck when doing a game. Not rendering (at least with the correct hardware). I don't know any dev who can feed enough renders to a dedicated rendering machine to keep it busy 24/7.

You talk about frequent updates and say 3 months. I don't consider that frequent updates. Anything beyond 60 days is slow updating. The subscribers pay monthly, not every 3 months or yearly.

You also talk about 15-30 minutes of playtime per update. You could be surprised. A lot. My Dorm's numbers are up there. If you can read (and click through the scenes) 30,000 words (OK, let's say due to branching it's 80%, 24,000 words) in 15-30 minutes I would be gladly surprised. The numbers usually say that players are capable of reading 11-14,000 words per hour in an AVN (and that includes branching). Let's say 12,500 on average. So every My Dorm's update in the last year would be 97-144 minutes of playtime. 215,873 words in the last year. 17h12m playtime. Do you know any of those games that update yearly that you can play 17h12m for a single update? If the answer is NO, they are not "release about the same amount of content per year as those who release one update per year". And I'm not comparing games. You are.

And to keep it on topic, Beyond Tomorrow's preview renders look amazing. Congrats to the dev.

Den1mo

Aug 26, 2023
You talk about frequent updates and say 3 months. I don't consider that frequent updates. Anything beyond 60 days is slow updating. The subscribers pay monthly, not every 3 months or yearly.
your answers are getting little cocky don't you think?

you are nowhere even close to games like Summer's Gone, Beyond Tomorrow, Summer Heat or others that stand out visualy. you prefer quantity over quality that's clear. the only thing I don't understand is why you pretend to do the same job as them when it's not true. you brag about numbers but your game looks like it's from 2005. if you will do the same quality as these devs in the same time you write about then we can discuss

other than that i don't see anyone comparing any games except your fan tslojr

• Haha
Reactions: TropecitaGames

tslojr

Apr 8, 2021
your answers are getting little cocky don't you think?

you are nowhere even close to games like Summer's Gone, Beyond Tomorrow, Summer Heat or others that stand out visualy. you prefer quantity over quality that's clear. the only thing I don't understand is why you pretend to do the same job as them when it's not true. you brag about numbers but your game looks like it's from 2005. if you will do the same quality as these devs in the same time you write about then we can discuss

other than that i don't see anyone comparing any games except your fan tslojr
I'm sorry, but at what point did I compare Beyond Tomorrow to Trop's game? You made the ignorant claim that no games update monthly with thousands of renders and I provided a counterpoint. Had you not made such a remarkably unfounded claim we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But it's okay, obviously you're the only one in the right despite being uninformed and rude to others because you think they're being mean to one of your favorite devs. Have a nice day.

• Red Heart

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
As I said, two different games can't be compared. So I will answer the technical aspects of your post:
Posing is the real bottleneck when doing a game. Not rendering (at least with the correct hardware). I don't know any dev who can feed enough renders to a dedicated rendering machine to keep it busy 24/7.

You also talk about 15-30 minutes of playtime per update. You could be surprised. A lot. My Dorm's numbers are up there. If you can read (and click through the scenes) 30,000 words (OK, let's say due to branching it's 80%, 24,000 words) in 15-30 minutes I would be gladly surprised. The numbers usually say that players are capable of reading 11-14,000 words per hour in an AVN (and that includes branching). Let's say 12,500 on average. So every My Dorm's update in the last year would be 97-144 minutes of playtime. 215,873 words in the last year. 17h12m playtime. Do you know any of those games that update yearly that you can play 17h12m for a single update? If the answer is NO, they are not "release about the same amount of content per year as those who release one update per year". And I'm not comparing games. You are.

And to keep it on topic, Beyond Tomorrow's preview renders look amazing. Congrats to the dev.
That's what I'm talking about, it's already gone off-topic. :KEK:

I didn't mean your game bro when I said 15-30 minutes. I once calculated out of curiousity that with the average text density, I spend about 3-5 seconds on each static render. If you release 1500 renders in an update, then obviously it will take me an average of one and a half to two hours of continuous play. Looks like my estimate is almost exactly the same as yours :)

But. The games that I'm interested in playing (no offense), unfortunately, even if they release updates every 1-3 months, usually release 200-400 renders per update, which gives ~15-30 minutes. That's what I was talking about. Dunno why they're such slow, must be a weather influence. :Kappa:

I suggest to stop here or continue in some off-topic thread.

Den1mo

Aug 26, 2023
You made the ignorant claim that no games update monthly with thousands of renders and I provided a counterpoint
what exactly is ignorant about me having no idea there is game doing such large updates in such short time?

Had you not made such a remarkably unfounded claim we wouldn't even be having this discussion
you are the one who brought name of another game here not me

obviously you're the only one in the right despite being uninformed and rude to others
nothing from what i wrote is rude. his game is not on same level as Summer's Gone so why he should push idea into players that everything what takes more than 3 months to update is slow? let's compare it with games having visual quality as TPC do and not with games that stick to the visual top

everyone who understands more than you is rude to you. that's probably why you called someone like Dream dick. right?

Sin_Mechero

Mar 27, 2022
nothing from what i wrote is rude. his game is not on same level as Summer's Gone so why he should push idea into players that everything what takes more than 3 months to update is slow? let's compare it with games having visual quality as TPC do and not with games that stick to the visual top
Well, I think you're wrong. You may like the developer more or less, but he is much better than Ocean. You're talking about a developer with a lot more resources, who is on the 3rd version of his game, and who has had all kinds of graphics during this time, with another one who has very clear ideas, writes very fast and optimises the resources he has very well.
If you just look at the graphics Ocean is doing at the rate he's going, in 2040 when he releases season 3 he'll either have done 10 more reworks, or the game will look like shit at that time.

4.30 star(s) 24 Votes