3.10 star(s) 91 Votes

HillDweller

Mar 31, 2020
1) Any changes in the save files will invalidate the save file.

2) In this version of the game, you cannot use other people's save files to play.
you can no longer share saves, because the saves have been encrypted. Enjoy that wonderful idea
It doesn't appear to be explicit by this game's dev - it's base Ren'py engine functionality starting from 8.1.x, for "security reasons" (see below), and Ren'py version changed from 8.0.3 to 8.1.1 in this latest game version. Again I don't think the version upgrade was explicitly intended by the dev to mess with save loading; they likely upgraded for other reasons.

Saves use Python pickle format which can be abused maliciously (and I've seen exploit proof-of-concepts being posted online), so apparently the Ren'py developers have deprecated sharing saves altogether; see also:
-
-

This has been reported here too:

It appears that as of Ren'Py 8.1 there is an addition to the code called Save Security Token. The token checks to see if the save file being used originated from the same computer as the token written upon game start. It asks if the user trusts the save file YES/NO. It also checks for editing of the save file and will not load a save if it was edited with either Ren'Py Save Editor or saveeditonline.com. One can still use unren to enable the console and alter variables. I am hoping someone will be able to find away around the new code to enable the use of this and other save editors again.

Like the person above says, when loading unaltered foreign saves, you'll get a warning that the save has been created in another device, and a yes/no prompt to continue loading. You have to explicitly answer yes for each new device from which you want to load saves.

That said, you CAN share saves, as long as they're unaltered externally (from outside the game, like in save editors). Messing with the console and then saving is OK though.

False alarm for the most part.

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
I was about to share the link to your post in the other thread in here.
This is going to be problematic for many ren'py games with heavy grind going forward.

Thank you for letting us know! I totally believed Aleksey made that choice, so I apologize for that.

HillDweller

Mar 31, 2020
I accidentally posted it in the other thread but intended to post it here, d'oh.

If you can read Python code, it's more or less easy to figure out how to hack saves by altering variables from the Ren'py console (which can more or less trivially be re-enabled even when explicitly disabled by game devs), and this won't trigger the protection mechanism because it still will be a clean save, unaltered outside of the game.

Because of that, I don't think the community loses out too much by not being to use Save Edit Online. People can still console-hack and share saves, and it's just an extra yes/no prompt to load these foreign saves.

Unfortunately the security concern is still there, and it's hard to properly fix unless the engine developers completely rework the save/load serialization (not trivial).

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
I accidentally posted it in the other thread but intended to post it here, d'oh.

If you can read Python code, it's more or less easy to figure out how to hack saves by altering variables from the Ren'py console (which can more or less trivially be re-enabled even when explicitly disabled by game devs), and this won't trigger the protection mechanism because it still will be a clean save, unaltered outside of the game.

Because of that, I don't think the community loses out too much by not being to use Save Edit Online. People can still console-hack and share saves, and it's just an extra yes/no prompt to load these foreign saves.

Unfortunately the security concern is still there, and it's hard to properly fix unless the engine developers completely rework the save/load serialization (not trivial).
It depends though.
Some games are heavy on the grind, and being able to mark some quests as complete, was quite often a blessing.
The console is not always easy to use though, the save editor really was easy to use :(

Guess the modders have their work cut out for them, we'll need to be able to edit shit from the games themselves now :(

Mee&Mee

Apr 23, 2020
Imagine requesting to remove my comment just cuz I want to see a movie made by netflix about this "game", how can that be off topic if this is a joke of "game"? what a snowflakes

Reactions: elbro and Kojj4

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
why he don't continue Big Brother: Another Story v0.09.2.03 ?
Well, nothing absolutely official, but ...
Mostly technical reasons, the game was structured too complex (layers and the code for them) and very expensive to maintain, each shot required too much work. Also he didn't like the old renders and wanted create new ones with the new models.
And since the previous version DID actually start as a remake of the original story with some changes, he wasn't really happy with the early content.

Javichu

Jan 31, 2018
Well, nothing absolutely official, but ...
Mostly technical reasons, the game was structured too complex (layers and the code for them) and very expensive to maintain, each shot required too much work. Also he didn't like the old renders and wanted create new ones with the new models.
And since the previous version DID actually start as a remake of the original story with some changes, he wasn't really happy with the early content.
it sounds me like the real developer with it's illegal fuck your mom and lets begin again and waste of time. About the game its awesome and really nice

NecromeN

May 2, 2017
How many subscribers did Aleksey90 lose from patreon and boosty after the new update?And remember that he promised the end of the summer to make an update catching up with the last game.Although yes, he did not specify what year the summer was. But still, another promise that he did not fulfill.

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
it sounds me like the real developer with it's illegal fuck your mom and lets begin again and waste of time. About the game its awesome and really nice
Alexey puts a lot of effort into the details and people always complained that he was progressing too slowly, so he had to find a way to make his vision come true without creating another Glamour while increasing productivity. If that played out, we'll see over time.
I personally don't really mind if it's taking a couple of more years if the end product is good. I have no rush.

3.10 star(s) 91 Votes