3D-Blender Blender Art - Show Us Your Blender Skill

Ghoseh

Mar 29, 2021
im probably gonna have to have two different blend files for upstairs and downstairs this was 10.5GB and i only have 12gb ON MY 3080 TI. gonna have to find some way to shed around 2-3.5 gb of ram for my character models

firstfloortestv1downscale.png

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
im probably gonna have to have two different blend files for upstairs and downstairs this was 10.5GB and i only have 12gb ON MY 3080 TI. gonna have to find some way to shed around 2-3.5 gb of ram for my character models

View attachment 1925933
I normally break down my environments into sections for this very reason. I used to just have one giant scene and still ran out of vram on a 3090. Now rooms and props are all organized in collections that I can quickly enable/disable as needed.

I'm not certain with Cycles but with Octane, anything in scene but not on camera still eats up vram.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021

View attachment 1925933
There's no way that is 10 gigabytes unless you're using ultra highpoly furniture meshes with six subsurf levels and 4k textures for everything.

Blender has out of core rendering. It will share system memory so you're not limited to VRAM and it's still faster than a CPU render.

You can put a global limit on subsurf levels and texture size (for both viewport and render) from the Simplify panel. Setting all textures to 2k or 1k is the nuclear option when a scene won't render otherwise. Blender does have a function to scale textures but I think it's only in Python, not exposed as an operator.

Replace all textures for small objects or objects that won't be the focus of your scene with 2k or 1k textures. Texture size is quadratic, so doubling the dimensions takes four times the memory. If you replace a 4k texture with a 2k, you can fit all four maps (diffuse, roughness, bump, normal) into the same space as one 4k texture.

If you have similar things like books, rather than a dozen textures you can setup a shader network that randomizes the colors per object.

If you imported highpoly models, use the decimate modifier to reduce the polycount to a manageable level. If it's your own models then they should have 1-2 levels of subsurf max unless it's an extreme closeup.

Apr 21, 2022
Blender has out of core rendering. It will share system memory so you're not limited to VRAM and it's still faster than a CPU render.

You can put a global limit on subsurf levels and texture size (for both viewport and render) from the Simplify panel. Setting all textures to 2k or 1k is the nuclear option when a scene won't render otherwise. Blender does have a function to scale textures but I think it's only in Python, not exposed as an operator.

Replace all textures for small objects or objects that won't be the focus of your scene with 2k or 1k textures. Texture size is quadratic, so doubling the dimensions takes four times the memory. If you replace a 4k texture with a 2k, you can fit all four maps (diffuse, roughness, bump, normal) into the same space as one 4k texture.

If you have similar things like books, rather than a dozen textures you can setup a shader network that randomizes the colors per object.

If you imported highpoly models, use the decimate modifier to reduce the polycount to a manageable level. If it's your own models then they should have 1-2 levels of subsurf max unless it's an extreme closeup.
Out of curiosity, what's the over-under on using Blender's procedural textures instead of a traditional texture? How big does a texture have to be before replacing it with a Voronoi or a Perlin Noise or something is a good trade? Or, say, replacing a bunch of 2k impostor cloud textures with 256x256 textures mixed with noise to make (apparently) infinite variety of cloud shapes in the sky? I'm guessing you 're basically spending RAM to save VRAM, but how do we know when that's a good trade?

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Out of curiosity, what's the over-under on using Blender's procedural textures instead of a traditional texture? How big does a texture have to be before replacing it with a Voronoi or a Perlin Noise or something is a good trade? Or, say, replacing a bunch of 2k impostor cloud textures with 256x256 textures mixed with noise to make (apparently) infinite variety of cloud shapes in the sky? I'm guessing you 're basically spending RAM to save VRAM, but how do we know when that's a good trade?
I'm not Ducky3d, I don't know much about procedural texturing. It's slated to be overhauled anyway so I figure I'll just wait to learn the new system.

Apr 21, 2022
:unsure:
That's certainly an improvement over the defaults. But how does it look compared to your previous line-up?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
With ( (1 - Layer Weight) * 1.5 or so) to darken the edges of the model, and Ambient Occlusion to darken the eyesockets and nostrils, I daresay you could get it looking 85-90% like the middle image.

The SSS in the ear is probably a lost cause, but we take what we can get in realtime graphics.

Ghoseh

Mar 29, 2021
There's no way that is 10 gigabytes unless you're using ultra highpoly furniture meshes with six subsurf levels and 4k textures for everything.

So I'm pretty new to blender like only been using it 3 months I figured the issue out I didn't realize you could increase the amount of ram it used from 4gb I upped it to 28gb I have 48gb total so I figured it was fine and about your comment about gig size
and that's with me completing the rest of the house and simplify turned off. but ima still take domeik's advice and separate some things so
blender isnt trying to account for stuff that wont affect scenes
Screenshot_9.png
Screenshot_10.png

Apr 21, 2022
So I'm pretty new to blender like only been using it 3 months I figured the issue out I didn't realize you could increase the amount of ram it used from 4gb I upped it to 28gb I have 48gb total so I figured it was fine and about your comment about gig size
and that's with me completing the rest of the house and simplify turned off. but ima still take domeik's advice and separate some things so
blender isnt trying to account for stuff that wont affect scenes
View attachment 1927653
View attachment 1927657
Dang. That's some pretty impressive hardware. Remind me, what rendering engine are you using?

Apr 21, 2022
Okay. I was thinking the lighting looks a little too crisp. If you can soften that a little bit, it would look more realistic. Most light bulbs don't cast hard shadows, because the light isn't coming from a single point. It's coming from inside a sphere of treated glass that sort of spreads out the light. Here's a quick list of ways you can soften the lighting, in general, in Cycles:
  • enabled in Light Paths.
  • If you're using Fast GI Approximation, set Bounces to at least 2 or 3.
  • Point Lights: increase Radius. This softens the shadows of every object hit by the light. (If it's an "abstract" point light meant to add hotspots to the lighting, go above 1.0m. If it's a light bulb, go between .125m and 1.0m
  • Spot Lights: increase Blend. (I usually go 1.0 and never look back, unless I want to add emphasis to the light itself as an artifice, such as if a character in the render is performing a theater play on stage.)
  • If you really want to push it further, blend in Ambient Occlusion as part of your Compositing nodes. (Or if you're a control freak,in your Material nodes. Protip: consider using to simplify the process of adding the effect to every Material in your Scene.)
  • Make sure your objects have Smooth Shading enabled in Object Mode. (Note: using Auto-Smooth Normals in Object Data Properties will override this.)
  • If your objects, walls, etc. are made from simple Cubes in Blender, such that Smooth Shading makes them look bad, consider adding a Bevel modifier to those objects with 2 or 4 Segments.
Here is a quick test scene showing the difference these features can make. I used very high settings for a smooth, painterly effect. You probably want something in the middle. Soft but realistic.

SoftLightingComparison.jpg

(Sorry about the low number of samples and Denoise. I'm not on a great computer for Cycles.)

Last edited:

Ghoseh

Mar 29, 2021
anyone have a number to how many samples should be taken in blender when i used iray 2-4k samples was my go to but i know cycles is alot different then Iray

iv been doing 2k samples in cycles but i dont know if thats over kill or not since i use the open OpenImageDenoise

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
anyone have a number to how many samples should be taken in blender when i used iray 2-4k samples was my go to but i know cycles is alot different then Iray

iv been doing 2k samples in cycles but i dont know if thats over kill or not since i use the open OpenImageDenoise
I render 1920x1080 at 4k samples with OID. The more samples the more data OID has to work with. You can get away with less outdoors using HDRIs but indoors needs lots of indirect lighting so you should go higher.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018

There isn't really a standard default value since noise is so heavily scene dependent.

I generally aim for 3k as this has consistently brought good results for my environments, lighting and character shaders. I mix denoiser/noise image at 80%.

This number can go up as high as 5k if the scene has particularly difficult lighting.

To figure out what's a good benchmark for you, I'd render some identical test scenes comparing Iray to cycles where you do your best to match lighting. It should give you a good idea of what to aim for.

Keep in mind that cycles has a light threshold setting in the advanced tab that may cause noise on characters with SSS. It has a small default value and I turned it off, resulting in cleaner renders when increasing samples wasn't improving the image.

Apr 21, 2022
Meanwhile, over in EeveeLand, I'm getting away with 128 samples to resolve the Alpha Hashed hair. Just sayin'. The only real change from a design point of view is IBL doesn't cast shadows and the skin SSS is slightly worse, and it's missing a few specific Material nodes, so I need to fake it or bake it.

Derychte

Jun 9, 2020
Im not sure if this is the right place to ask but its the first blender related thread I found so: I recently started to learn blender and Im wondering if there is any good website where you can find good content for free. So basically is there a f95zone but for blender content?

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Im not sure if this is the right place to ask but its the first blender related thread I found so: I recently started to learn blender and Im wondering if there is any good website where you can find good content for free. So basically is there a f95zone but for blender content?
SFMLab/Smutbase has Blender files. There's other video game rip sources but they don't convert forward kinematic models to Blender's advanced rigging, and that's too advanced for a beginner.

Also you'd be surprised how good the free section of premium websites like Turbosquid and CGTrader is.

Reactions: Domiek
Apr 21, 2022
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned yet. They have a small but growing collection of free high-quality furniture, plants, and objects, texture sets suitible for archviz, and all the HDRIs you can eat.

In other news, a second attempt was made at hair:
Hair2.jpg

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned yet. They have a small but growing collection of free high-quality furniture, plants, and objects, texture sets suitible for archviz, and all the HDRIs you can eat.
I assumed they wanted nude models, which Polyhaven doesn't have.