Aug 18, 2019
So what I like about my render is
1) How I set up the light, it looks pretty realistic
2) The general atmosphere
3) Simulation of water with reflection from the window
4) Reflection on the water and the window

What I don't like
1) Posing. The pose looks unnatural
2) Simulation of cloth is shit, It would be better if I just smoothed the texture in a blender through sculpting than doing a simulation in a daz.
3) The texture on the cabinet, although it looked good on the references
4) The location of the camera. It seems that the x-axis has disappeared.
5) I did a bad job with post-processing, which is why there is some cartoonishness and blurring.
SAGEFIN222.png

Last edited:
Reactions: zerofreak

Ghoseh

Mar 29, 2021
More drama
updating more of my daz scenes to blender and I'm liking how they turn out.
my lighting still shit though. need to figure out how to make the art glass reflect on the floor better without turning up the sun light

church4k.jpg

Apr 21, 2022
More drama
my lighting still shit though. need to figure out how to make the art glass reflect on the floor better without turning up the sun light

View attachment 1969505
Are you using the Eevee renderer or Cycles?

Here are some things to know about which might help:
Spotlights/Godrays (Ideal for your use case-- just check the thumbnail!)
Area Lights (rectangles of directional light-- basically a cube of fake sunlight):
Colored shadows:
Stylized lights and shadows:
Caustics:
"Better" Colored Caustics:
Fake caustics in Eevee:

Good luck! :)

Reactions: Domiek

Ghoseh

Mar 29, 2021
I'm using cycles. I think caustics is what im looking for i need to make them stronger and need to find a way to make my volumetric lighting better other than using a volume scatter and volume absorption shader on a cube because its not really accurate and is just a plain color.
Screenshot_3.png

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
More drama

View attachment 1969505
The lightning feels off to me. I think your sunlight is aimed from the front, since you got some shadows at the front (could be from the 4 lights you got there as well), but why aren't there any shadows further down the line? Or why aren't there any shadows between the benches? Like the floor between the benches should be darker. Considering your whole scene seems to be surrounded by windows, and it seems to be day outside I would expect a lot lighter room.

This is my basic lightning set-up for cycles: Use a skytexture node as background. This roughly works the same as an HDRI. Enable the addon Lightning: Sun position. Put a sun light in your scene. Go into the background settings, and towards the bottom of it you got a Sun position option. Put the sun light into the sun object box. Now you can go into location tab in the background settings, and change the location, attitude, etc. of the skytexture and your sun light. You can lower the intensity and size of the sun at the top to make the shadows/light less strong and less sharp.

This gives you a quick daylight lightning set-up that most of the time looks pretty good.

For caustics you need to enable it in your sunlight, and on the floor, otherwise you don't get any.

Volumetric isn't needed to create caustics, but if you want to use it anyway I would use the principle Volume BDSF instead of a separate Volume scatter and Volume Absorption node. Gives you a bit more control over it.

PashafromRussia

Aug 18, 2019
Damn, I thought I created a cool environment for the stage.
untitled.png I especially like this caustic in transparent curtains. But when I import a character from Daz using the official plugin, such a thing with legs turns out. And even if I click the check mark, the static pose is still some kind of bullshit with my legs. What's the matter, who knows?
Screenshot_7.png

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
More drama

View attachment 1969505
Hard to say by just looking at the render. Could be an issue with lighting, could be the materials, maybe both. The best way to figure this out is to isolate the lighting/materials in a small sample file and experiment with how light interacts with different materials.

Damn, I thought I created a cool environment for the stage.
View attachment 1970509 I especially like this caustic in transparent curtains. But when I import a character from Daz using the official plugin, such a thing with legs turns out. And even if I click the check mark, the static pose is still some kind of bullshit with my legs. What's the matter, who knows?
View attachment 1970514
Use the diffeomorphic plugin. It's pretty straight forward and works incredibly well at bringing fully rigged daz characters correctly. The official Daz bridge is improving but is still underwhelming compared to diffeo.

Reactions: PashafromRussia

PashafromRussia

Aug 18, 2019
Hard to say by just looking at the render. Could be an issue with lighting, could be the materials, maybe both. The best way to figure this out is to isolate the lighting/materials in a small sample file and experiment with how light interacts with different materials.

Use the diffeomorphic plugin. It's pretty straight forward and works incredibly well at bringing fully rigged daz characters correctly. The official Daz bridge is improving but is still underwhelming compared to diffeo.
I tried it, but for some reason I can't render because of it. I just press the render button in the blender, just an empty picture appears and the progress is zero percent. Did you do something wrong?

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
I tried it, but for some reason I can't render because of it. I just press the render button in the blender, just an empty picture appears and the progress is zero percent. Did you do something wrong?
Did you go step by step along with the for your first time? Hard to say what went wrong on your end but Diffeo is hands down the best Daz to Blender bridge.

Reactions: PashafromRussia

PashafromRussia

Aug 18, 2019
Did you go step by step along with the for your first time? Hard to say what went wrong on your end but Diffeo is hands down the best Daz to Blender bridge.
Figured it out. It turns out that when importing, yes, it was necessary to choose Cycles and everything helped.

• Yay, new update!

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Gave the Human Generator addon a try to quickly add low resource random background characters to scenes without having to deal with the lengthy process of creating and importing from Daz. It's severely limited but seems to do a pretty decent job for this purpose.

1659976218927.png

PashafromRussia

Aug 18, 2019
Gave the Human Generator addon a try to quickly add low resource random background characters to scenes without having to deal with the lengthy process of creating and importing from Daz. It's severely limited but seems to do a pretty decent job for this purpose.

View attachment 1972833
I've been meaning to ask for a long time. In a Scent, are you assembling a scene in a Blender? If yes, do you create lighting using paid addons like Physical Starlight And Atmosphere or using nodes and HDRI cards?

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
I've been meaning to ask for a long time. In a Scent, are you assembling a scene in a Blender? If yes, do you create lighting using paid addons like Physical Starlight And Atmosphere or using nodes and HDRI cards?
Yeah I assemble it all in Blender. I don't use lighting addons other than Photographer for the light manager. Just regular nishita sky texture + mesh lights is all I'm willing to work with for now.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
I find their particles hairs quite nice too :) Converting dforce/meshes hairs to particle with Diffeo is a painful process, not very good in my opinion.
That's cause Blender's particle hair system is a pile of shit that hasn't been worked on in ten years. It's about to get replaced by a new system in 3.3 which should work much better.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
That's cause Blender's particle hair system is a pile of shit that hasn't been worked on in ten years. It's about to get replaced by a new system in 3.3 which should work much better.
I wouldnt get your hopes up. The new system is far from done, I wouldnt expect it to come out with 3.3 or 3.4 even.

I find their particles hairs quite nice too :) Converting dforce/meshes hairs to particle with Diffeo is a painful process, not very good in my opinion.
There is that converts DAZ mesh hair into particles. Gives decent results out of the box.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
I wouldnt get your hopes up. The new system is far from done, I wouldnt expect it to come out with 3.3 or 3.4 even.
It's in the release notes, I doubt they'd pull it out now. They need it for the open movie coming out. They left geometry nodes in 2.92 even though they had to do it all over from the ground up later.

Does Human Generator have shape keys? Or is it like most models where you raise the arm too much and the underarm bulges out like a nightmare?

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
It's in the release notes, I doubt they'd pull it out now. They need it for the open movie coming out. They left geometry nodes in 2.92 even though they had to do it all over from the ground up later.

Does Human Generator have shape keys? Or is it like most models where you raise the arm too much and the underarm bulges out like a nightmare?
It has premade poses/expressions with shapekeys but the rig is just a basic skeleton with terrible deformations. There's a rigify option I haven't tried. It's fine for just some background chars to fill the scene.