3D-Blender Blender Art - Show Us Your Blender Skill

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
It has premade poses/expressions with shapekeys but the rig is just a basic skeleton with terrible deformations. There's a rigify option I haven't tried. It's fine for just some background chars to fill the scene.
I was hoping it'd be good for "one off" scenes so I don't have to keep exporting new figures for just one shot though.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
It's in the release notes, I doubt they'd pull it out now. They need it for the open movie coming out. They left geometry nodes in 2.92 even though they had to do it all over from the ground up later
It was in 3.2 release notes as well, and they removed it before the actual release.

And even if it gets released in 3.3, it will be only usable if you draw every single hair yourself, and brush them in the shape you want. While you can add some curling, rougnesses, or randomness with geo nodes, It still misses children options, clumping, interpolating, adding waves, etc. It won't be better as the current particle systems.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
It was in 3.2 release notes as well, and they removed it before the actual release.

And even if it gets released in 3.3, it will be only usable if you draw every single hair yourself, and brush them in the shape you want. While you can add some curling, rougnesses, or randomness with geo nodes, It still misses children options, clumping, interpolating, adding waves, etc. It won't be better as the current particle systems.
Not true, there's converter operators letting you convert hair between the old and new systems. I told Thomas Larsson about this and he's ready to implement that for converting dForce and strand hair in Diffeomorphic. True the new system is missing options but it lets you have strands with different numbers of control points, the old system doesn't. So already it's better for converting hair from Daz.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Not true, there's converter operators letting you convert hair between the old and new systems. I told Thomas Larsson about this and he's ready to implement that for converting dForce and strand hair in Diffeomorphic. True the new system is missing options but it lets you have strands with different numbers of control points, the old system doesn't. So already it's better for converting hair from Daz.
So what's not true about my statement then? I never mentioned anything about converting. Yes you can convert Dforce hair, becauze every single strand of Dforce hair is drawn. It doesnt use childereren.

And you know you can subdivide each individual hair strand to add extra control points, right? That's nothing new.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
So what's not true about my statement then? I never mentioned anything about converting. Yes you can convert Dforce hair, becauze every single strand of Dforce hair is drawn. It doesnt use childereren.

And you know you can subdivide each individual hair strand to add extra control points, right? That's nothing new.
You said it's "only usable if you draw every strand yourself". It's not, you can convert it and it's also usable.

The DIffeo dev said one of his issues converting is, the new strands need to have the same number of control points. If you know a way around that, I recommend opening an enhancement on the Bitbucket.

BobbySnaxey

Jul 25, 2020
That looks really good. Only thing standing out is the weird hair shadow in the middle of her face. Don't know where it's coming from. Or is that supposes to be a scar?
Thank you!

I was thinking about that too but couldn't figure out how the hair could cast that shadow. :confused:
I was using the built in sky texture node as lightning.
Nishita or whatever it's called. :D

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Thank you!

I was thinking about that too but couldn't figure out how the hair could cast that shadow. :confused:
I was using the built in sky texture node as lightning.
Nishita or whatever it's called. :D
It could be the shadow from the horses ear. It has those hairs at the top and the overall shape somewhat matches.
And yeah the inbuilt texture node is pretty good. I liked to use it myself when i was playing around with realistic lightning, especially combined with the sun position addon. It automatically links your sun light to the position of the sun in your sky texture.

Apr 21, 2022
Still trying to git gud at hair. Getting slightly more confident with flyaways.

One trick is to rotate the fly strands perpendicular to the other hair layers. I got the idea from polycount's illustration of the "fins and shells" technique:

Also, when two batches of hair don't quite intersect, don't scale the distance between the edges to 0. Scale it to -1! ;)

Apr 21, 2022
This is my first public render since I started Blender couple months ago.

I'm not an artist nor a photographer just an hobbyist who never done 3D, so obviously many things can be wrong :D
Pretty happy with the result : used vertex paint, volumetric, particles hairs physics, little compositing and a custom skin shader I've been making.

5760p picture :

1080p picture :

View attachment 1984131

Viewport screenshot (if anyone interested) : View attachment 1984139
I love everything about this render except for the mud droplets. They shouldn't be visible on her legs underwater. If that's a secondary layer in the shader, (converted from an L.I.E. or whatever,) then in your Shader Nodes add a Geometry node, get the world position from it, then feed that into a Converter> Seperate XYZ. Grab the Z channel, and plug it straight into the Output so you can see what you're doing.

Now your character is white when the Z position of the mesh in the world is Z = 1.0 or above, Black at 0 or less. Add a Math node, set it to Multiply/Add, and tweak the sliders until the boundary between black and white is right at the water line, and only a little blurry.

In general, tweaking Multiply >1 will make the boundary smaller. Tweaking Add will make the boundary go up or down. You can use negative values for either. Usually it's best to tweak multiply first, then add. If the model is pure white or black, it's pretty intuitive to move add up or down until the boundary is visible again.

If, for some reason, you want white to be black and black to be white, add another math node and subtract the current gradient from 1. (This is 1/3 as much work for the computer as an Invert node, because Invert deals with 3 color channels, while Subtract only operates on the one float. But converting a color such as the output from an RGB node into a float by feeding it into a Subtract node is extra work, so use Invert when dealing with colors and Subtract when dealing with Math Nodes.)

Hope this helps. Good luck! :) You've got some really nice lighting chops, I like the character design, and the shine on the hair is just :whistle:(y)(chef's kiss) excellent!

BobbySnaxey

Jul 25, 2020
It could be the shadow from the horses ear. It has those hairs at the top and the overall shape somewhat matches.
And yeah the inbuilt texture node is pretty good. I liked to use it myself when i was playing around with realistic lightning, especially combined with the sun position addon. It automatically links your sun light to the position of the sun in your sky texture.
Ooh sounds interesting, which addon is it? :)

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Sun position lol. It comes with Blender by default, just got to turn it on. It adds an extra option called Sun position in the sky texture settings (Under world properties). There you put the sun light and the sky texture in each respective box. With the location and time you can change the position of both the sky texture and the sun at the same time. Works great for indoor rendering (found it in this ).

• Red Heart
Reactions: BobbySnaxey

peternorthland

May 20, 2020
Just an Eevee skin test. used diffeomorphic to import. its sydney 8 model. just did few tweeks on materials with diffeomorphic material editor. and used light probes to do fake global illumination. rest of render is some scene i downloaded for eevee scene.
btw 3sec render. i really started to love eevee. i ve no patience for iray or cycles lol. i ve 3070 but i cant deal with it even with optix. it really takes long or i really dunno cycles settings to do fast render lol.

edit: this pose is from an animation from daz. i was actually trying video render. and each frame takes 3sec. really usefull.
testrender.jpg

Apr 21, 2022
Just an Eevee skin test. used diffeomorphic to import. its sydney 8 model. just did few tweeks on materials with diffeomorphic material editor. and used light probes to do fake global illumination. rest of render is some scene i downloaded for eevee scene.
btw 3sec render. i really started to love eevee. i ve no patience for iray or cycles lol. i ve 3070 but i cant deal with it even with optix. it really takes long or i really dunno cycles settings to do fast render lol.

edit: this pose is from an animation from daz. i was actually trying video render. and each frame takes 3sec. really usefull.
View attachment 1990468
As early as this scene is with its lack of details, colors, hair, etc, I have to say, that's some pretty good lighting and and some very nice skin for an Eevee render. Please double-check and make sure you've done all of the steps in this video: I think it can be pushed a bit further.

peternorthland

May 20, 2020
As early as this scene is with its lack of details, colors, hair, etc, I have to say, that's some pretty good lighting and and some very nice skin for an Eevee render. Please double-check and make sure you've done all of the steps in this video: I think it can be pushed a bit further.
Thank you for info. i will check. and next time i will create a complete scene lol.
edit: new try. but it seems i pushed eevee with something that i m not sure. took 33 sec
newtest.jpg

Last edited:

PashafromRussia

Aug 18, 2019
Too much geometry. 12 GB GPU is too small for such a scene.
The blender automatically gave out only a measly 50 samples when I put on 5000.
sagefor.png

P.S. Is it worth trying Cinema 4D? The blender starts hanging wildly on millions of polygons.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkyDawky

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Too much geometry. 16 GB GPU is too small for such a scene.
The blender automatically gave out only a measly 50 samples when I put on 5000.
View attachment 1992488

P.S. Is it worth trying Cinema 4D? The blender starts hanging wildly on millions of polygons.
C4D was even worse, at least two years ago when I spent a month in it before switching to Blender.

The files loaded much slower and it had a real problem with handling many objects at once. I think high poly count was ok but too many objects caused the scene to lag considerably. Even importing Daz environments killed the viewport.

Again, this was two years ago so maybe things improved.

Reactions: PashafromRussia

PashafromRussia

Aug 18, 2019
C4D was even worse, at least two years ago when I spent a month in it before switching to Blender.

The files loaded much slower and it had a real problem with handling many objects at once. I think high poly count was ok but too many objects caused the scene to lag considerably. Even importing Daz environments killed the viewport.

Again, this was two years ago so maybe things improved.
And 3DMax? It is used by professional architects and designers for visualization. I think it should be fine to work with a large number of objects.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
And 3DMax? It is used by professional architects and designers for visualization. I think it should be fine to work with a large number of objects.
I have no experience with Max but do hear that it's better at handling high poly scenes. Daz scenes aren't exactly the most demanding things in 3D though.

I suspect you just need to better manage your scenes through collections and viewport disabling what's off camera and reducing texture sizes unless necessary. The render you posted shouldn't be an issue for a 12GB card.

I have a 20 million poly scene that lags a bit on a first gen threadripper but viewport disabling some of the higher poly stuff makes it buttery smooth once again.

Reactions: PashafromRussia