3D-Blender Blender Art - Show Us Your Blender Skill

MN122

Dec 31, 2021
Question for the Blender experts (or just people who know more than me, which is basically everyone.)

This model takes AGES to render, and needs an insane (or seemingly) amount of samples to look decent. 1-2 hour renders, and 5-7000 samples, and still noisy, fireflies, etc. I feel like it's something to do with the SSS settings, but the shader node trees are mostly beyond my ability to grasp. If anyone has any guidance, especially with this model, I'd be grateful.

Photos for boobs attention.
fa_pproom1c.png

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
Question for the Blender experts (or just people who know more than me, which is basically everyone.)

This model takes AGES to render, and needs an insane (or seemingly) amount of samples to look decent. 1-2 hour renders, and 5-7000 samples, and still noisy, fireflies, etc. I feel like it's something to do with the SSS settings, but the shader node trees are mostly beyond my ability to grasp. If anyone has any guidance, especially with this model, I'd be grateful.

Photos for boobs attention.
View attachment 3308368
I'm really no expert (self taught), but fireflies having to do with the SSS seems odd to me.
My best guess is that you must have a material somewhere that messes things up. Have you tried isolating the model and only rendering it with the lights to see what you get? maybe one of your glass material has some sort of refraction or fake caustic? It would be the first time I ever hear of a a character model causing this type of issue.
Usually, when I get this problem, I crank up the clamping, and then readjust the shadows/highlights in post production with photoshop.

MN122

Dec 31, 2021
I'm really no expert (self taught), but fireflies having to do with the SSS seems odd to me.
My best guess is that you must have a material somewhere that messes things up. Have you tried isolating the model and only rendering it with the lights to see what you get? maybe one of your glass material has some sort of refraction or fake caustic? It would be the first time I ever hear of a a character model causing this type of issue.
Usually, when I get this problem, I crank up the clamping, and then readjust the shadows/highlights in post production with photoshop.
Thanks for the input! I messed with clamping, to no avail, next to zero change in render times. I have done a few renders with just the model, and a simple light setup, and it still takes what seems like a long time. Certainly longer than any other model I've used. Like, a simple 2K render (model, lights, that's it) could take 15 minutes to hit 1500ish samples, and it's still quite noisy and looked very "undercooked."

The shader nodes look bonkers to me, especially the multiscatter node (second pic.) It also does some cool shit, like dynamic displacement for fat and wrinkles, procedural subsurface veins, etc. Just slowwwwwwww, and it seems like its overly so. fadvshader1.jpg
fadvshader2.jpg

• Hey there
Reactions: DD3DD

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
Thanks for the input! I messed with clamping, to no avail, next to zero change in render times. I have done a few renders with just the model, and a simple light setup, and it still takes what seems like a long time. Certainly longer than any other model I've used. Like, a simple 2K render (model, lights, that's it) could take 15 minutes to hit 1500ish samples, and it's still quite noisy and looked very "undercooked."

The shader nodes look bonkers to me, especially the multiscatter node (second pic.) It also does some cool shit, like dynamic displacement for fat and wrinkles, procedural subsurface veins, etc. Just slowwwwwwww, and it seems like its overly so. View attachment 3330175
View attachment 3330176
Holy guacamole!!!!
yeah, I never seen anything like that. It needs simplifying it looks like...
I'd be curious to have a detailed look at it and try and reverse engineer it tho, shit looks nuts!

MN122

Dec 31, 2021
Holy guacamole!!!!
yeah, I never seen anything like that. It needs simplifying it looks like...
I'd be curious to have a detailed look at it and try and reverse engineer it tho, shit looks nuts!
It's so big I tried to post that screenshot, but can't fit it all on my screen haha. I can send you a link if you're interested, it's several GB though.

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
It's so big I tried to post that screenshot, but can't fit it all on my screen haha. I can send you a link if you're interested, it's several GB though.
I'd be curious to see it yes. This looks like there might be techniques to learn from it.

vez

Jul 26, 2017
Just a question for any who uses Daz characters -- do you just import the character once and then add accessories if needed (say, if you want to make a render with different clothes), or do you need to reimport the full character again each time?
I'd like to work on a little project but would prefer using Blender and Diffeomorphic.

Emoon

May 4, 2017
Just a question for any who uses Daz characters -- do you just import the character once and then add accessories if needed (say, if you want to make a render with different clothes), or do you need to reimport the full character again each time?
I'd like to work on a little project but would prefer using Blender and Diffeomorphic.
There's some information on how to work with multiple outfits on the . Some things have changed since then but the general workflow still remains. I can also recommend for better Character management in general.

Reactions: vez and DD3DD

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019
If I'm gonna make a multi outfit render, I'll transfer my model with every single piece of clothing on. then I'll just hide what I don't need for render. If you scroll up and look at my shadowheart, she has a dress, a scarf, and even high heels on, I just hid them for this particular pose.
You could transfer clothing items one by one as you need them, but then you need to merge the rigs, reworks the weights and all... Daz already does this for you.