3D-Blender Blender Art - Show Us Your Blender Skill

Andurin

Apr 28, 2017
Been using Daz3d for a few years, but never really got into animation.

Instead i am now looking into getting started with blender and animation.

Hope its ok i ask a few questions:
-, is it worth learning blender animation over Daz3d animation?
- is it worth reusing assets from Daz? (Bridge)
- if one is 100% new at blender, where do you recommend i start? The donut tutorial or some place else

Reactions: 0ier 3D

miamid99

Nov 4, 2019

- if one is 100% new at blender, where do you recommend i start? The donut tutorial or some place else
Donut tutorial is a great place to start if it's your first time in Blender, as he goes over all of the basic functions, shortcuts, and most of the essential stuff you'll need for pretty much anything you want to do with the software. I recommend at least watching most of his beginner videos, even if not following along, as he goes through a lot of settings, and a lot of things that will always be useful.

I personally use assets from Daz that I then export using diffeomorphic (no experience with Bridge at all) and it works really well, except for shaders, that can (not always) get messed up in the import. It takes knowing your way around Blender's shader editor and it's node system to fix some materials. But if you have experience with Daz, you should figure out what button to push, or which cursor to slide, by simple trial and error.

Also, there is an absolute buttload of tutorials for pretty much anything you can dream to do in Blender, much more than with Daz, which should only make things easier for you.

as for the animation part, I don't do much myself, so I'm probably not the best to ask...

Emoon

May 4, 2017

In addition to what miamid99 said.
Yes it is absolutely worth learning blender animation over DAZ3D. Blender's animation workflow, especially now with 4.0, is superior in every way. But to be fair here, DAZ is/was not meant to be used for animations nor does it compete with Blender in a way that Maya competes with Blender (as an example).
If you browse through this thread or the Wildeer Studio Fan Art Thread you get a pretty good glimpse at how powerful Blender can be.

Some of the benefits you have over DAZ are:
- If you pose a model and something clips or doesn't deform the way you want it to, you can easily switch to the sculpt tab and fix it in a matter of seconds or minutes. Make a blendshape of it so you can remove it later if it isn't needed anymore.
- Full control over all assets.
- Viewport compositor and full control over the general render pipeline (you technically don't need to touchup your render in Photoshop anymore).
- Eevee as their realtime viewport renderer produces significantly better results than Filament out of the box. And Cycles not only supports more rendering features but also renders faster than I-Ray. And it's not bound to Nvidia.

I could go on and on about it, be it texture painting, hair, geometry nodes, camera setups, lighting in general, addon support, documentation and what not else. It's a lot to learn and it will take time, especially animating/rigging is a complex topic with a lot of small specifics but it's totally worth it. And if you start small with for instance rigging & animating an arm to understand bone-chains, IK & FK, bend deformation and so forth you should be able to understand the basics of most rigs rather quickly. The by CGDive is pretty great, well almost every video by him is great so check them out! And also check out , his videos aren't as in-depth as the ones by CGDive but he covers a lot of quick how to's without much fuzz, pretty much like Blender Secrets.

Dive in and have fun. Blender is free so apart from some time you have nothing to lose. :)

Last edited:

Andurin

Apr 28, 2017
Donut tutorial is a great place to start if it's your first time in Blender, as he goes over all of the basic functions, shortcuts, and most of the essential stuff you'll need for pretty much anything you want to do with the software. I recommend at least watching most of his beginner videos, even if not following along, as he goes through a lot of settings, and a lot of things that will always be useful.

I personally use assets from Daz that I then export using diffeomorphic (no experience with Bridge at all) and it works really well, except for shaders, that can (not always) get messed up in the import. It takes knowing your way around Blender's shader editor and it's node system to fix some materials. But if you have experience with Daz, you should figure out what button to push, or which cursor to slide, by simple trial and error.

Also, there is an absolute buttload of tutorials for pretty much anything you can dream to do in Blender, much more than with Daz, which should only make things easier for you.

as for the animation part, I don't do much myself, so I'm probably not the best to ask...
In addition to what miamid99 said.
Yes it is absolutely worth learning blender animation over DAZ3D. Blender's animation workflow, especially now with 4.0, is superior in every way. But to be fair here, DAZ is/was not meant to be used for animations nor does it compete with Blender in a way that Maya competes with Blender (as an example).
If you browse through this thread or the Wildeer Studio Fan Art Thread you get a pretty good glimpse at how powerful Blender can be.

Some of the benefits you have over DAZ are:
- If you pose a model and something clips or doesn't deform the way you want it to, you can easily switch to the sculpt tab and fix it in a matter of seconds or minutes. Make a blendshape of it so you can remove it later if it isn't needed anymore.
- Full control over all assets.
- Viewport compositor and full control over the general render pipeline (you technically don't need to touchup your render in Photoshop anymore).
- Eevee as their realtime viewport renderer produces significantly better results than Filament out of the box. And Cycles not only supports more rendering features but also renders faster than I-Ray. And it's not bound to Nvidia.

I could go on and on about it, be it texture painting, hair, geometry nodes, camera setups, lighting in general, addon support, documentation and what not else. It's a lot to learn and it will take time, especially animating/rigging is a complex topic with a lot of small specifics but it's totally worth it. And if you start small with for instance rigging & animating an arm to understand bone-chains, IK & FK, bend deformation and so forth you should be able to understand the basics of most rigs rather quickly. The by CGDive is pretty great, well almost every video by him is great so check them out! And also check out , his videos aren't as in-depth as the ones by CGDive but he covers a lot of quick how to's without much fuzz, pretty much like Blender Secrets.

Dive in and have fun. Blender is free so apart from some time you have nothing to lose. :)
Huge thanks for the immediate input/feedback.

Much appreciated.

Reactions: Emoon and miamid99

DD3DD

Apr 23, 2019
80-90% of my work these days is trash, It's annoying because I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and how to improve it, I just feel like recently the quality of my work has dropped massively (apart from the odd image here and there) I hate this image below, but can't really figure out what to do with it.

View attachment 3148862
:unsure: Everything from an execution point of view seems to be on point :love:. It therefore possibly comes down to you have either:
Reached a point where you want to tell a story with your renders and a render just looking nice and perfect does not full fill what you are seeking as a creator anymore.
or
The model(s) or character(s) unfortunately do not inspire you any more like they once used to.
or
A possible mix of the two.
It just means you are ready to leave your comfy workflow and start on your next level of creativity that will challenge and inspire you again :coffee::).

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

jackmancactus

Apr 8, 2018
Dear god this is amazing! what color grading did you do after or is this raw render? using the new AGX color space or what? Did you add film grain in post or is that residual noise?
Thanks! Yeah it's agx with no contrast transform. I just use the camera raw filter in Photoshop for the color grading and to add a little grain. Then use an exposure adjustment to bump up the offset a teeny bit. And the last thing is I use the lens correction filter to add a little chromatic aberration.

Reactions: 0ier 3D and DD3DD