Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
Hi guys, passing by just to inform you that a new patch release for 0.2 will be available within a few days
Does this mean new content or just bug fixes? I'm confused because I'm already on 0.2 and downloaded latest patch before.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Probably just bug fixes, typos, minor improvements/changes to issues brought up since last release, etc. Goldo's been busy with RL and most likely just wants to finally get 0.2 out of beta status. His planned extra chapter 2 content was earmarked for chapter 3 and thus 0.3 a while ago, so we'd actually get 0.2 in a reasonable time frame.

I'd expect any 0.2 update to include at most a single new event, if that. Goldo is not a Patreon dev. It's ready when it's ready, and in the meanwhile bugs get stepped on.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Just a bugfix, that's why I said it's a patch, otherwise it would have been an update

Fox.Mulder

Jul 31, 2017
Just a quick question from one of the options.rpy edits from a while ago.

I wanted to see if I could increase the cache size hoping it might be more stable like people seemed to report.
For reference, it was stated that there's a line in the options.rpy file "config.image_cache_size = 64", but for whatever reason my options file doesn't have that line? So I wonder if I tried to use the console command to change it, would it even do anything? I had hoped to use the options.rpy file to make it permanent if it helped but I dunno if it even does anything now, haha. I have a pretty decent machine so I figured I might as well try so I can use a few more packs etc. I've done fresh installs and stuff, too, to see if that was the issue but no dice. Maybe this just doesn't even work any more though idk, I'm not too versed in how the program itself works.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
For reference, it was stated that there's a line in the options.rpy file "config.image_cache_size = 64", but for whatever reason my options file doesn't have that line?
Maybe it was a while ago. It's now in BKsettings.rpy.

So I wonder if I tried to use the console command to change it, would it even do anything?
It will. But re-entering the command every time is really tedious.

Maybe this just doesn't even work any more though idk, I'm not too versed in how the program itself works.
I doubt anyone except PyTom really is. :sneaky:

Reactions: Fox.Mulder

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Message from Goldo:

Hi guys,

The new patch is out , hopefully not too buggy. Please note there are new options in the game content menu, and in BKsettings.rpy for more tweaks, including the ability to turn on refresh mem on home screen for low-end rigs, and choosing the number of starting traits. Traitking's hooks have been added for better mod support.

The patch requires a new game.

link:

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
No offense but why doesn't he write proper version numbers so it isn't confusing? This is like third time patch 0.2 is released again. It could be like 0.2.3 or something.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
First, what are these things you call 'proper version numbers'? o_O:p

Second, this is far from being the third time an update to 0.2 has been released. I'm counting 33 files in my archive, although some may be repeat downloads.

Third, there are 'internal' version numbers now. The last update is '0.2 v211126'.

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021

Second, this is far from being the third time an update to 0.2 has been released. I'm counting 33 files in my archive, although some may be repeat downloads.

Third, there are 'internal' version numbers now. The last update is '0.2 v211126'.
I can search for "0.2" or "0.2 patch" in this thread and get multiple results. This is confusing for me, I can't play this game all the time and one of these days I will forget this game exists and come back after a year only to find latest version is still 0.2 patch. It's not a problem but confusing thats for sure.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I can search for "0.2" or "0.2 patch" in this thread and get multiple results. This is confusing for me...
The proper way to avoid such confusion is to go directly to the . F95 needs to update the OP every time anyway, while Goldo always puts the latest patch under the same link exactly because it makes it easy for him to update and for us to get the update.

This is a case where F95's uploading and thread maintenance policy bites us users in the ass. :( Pretty much the only case where we'll be ahead is if Goldo drops BK so hard nobody can host the last version on HHS anymore. Or HHS itself dies. And that also requires all the file hosts used here stay alive through that (RIP Nopy and thus the patch link in the OP :cry:).

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Hi guys, as you may have noticed something is going weird with UI after you got latest patch for 0.2: that's because BK is now developed in the latest ren'py build. Goldo will provide a full release with it, meanwhile you can update your ren'py version and check if UI goes back to normal.

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018
No offense but why doesn't he write proper version numbers so it isn't confusing? This is like third time patch 0.2 is released again. It could be like 0.2.3 or something.

I'd suggest to think of it as "latest patch for ver 0.2".

The internal version number, '0.2 v211126', is displayed on the start/load-game screen, lower left, and also at the bottom of traceback.txt error reports. It is also readable in game/options.rpy as
config.version = "0.2 v211126".

Edit Feb 2022: Now also displayed on the start/load-game screen, upper right.

As it implies, this latest patch was released by the dev on the 26th of November, 2021.
Unfortunately, the MediaFire download page no longer displays the upload date, which helped the user know when the latest release of the patch was made.

Like Jman9 says, check the HHS source forum threads for most-complete info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jman9

Ego Orb

Apr 20, 2018
Hi guys, as you may have noticed something is going weird with UI after you got latest patch for 0.2: that's because BK is now developed in the latest ren'py build. Goldo will provide a full release with it, meanwhile you can update your ren'py version and check if UI goes back to normal.
How does one go about updating Ren'Py? I tried downloading the "update" from their website, but it was a stand alone project creator thing that seemingly had nothing to do with running already made games.

Reactions: Torinir

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Don't worry guys, I've made a build with new ren'py version and BK latest update already included, here's the link:

I've also asked mods for OP update including this link and the one for the updates on mediafire, deleting all other not working download sources.

Apparently there are no more UI issues in this build; I also uploaded a mac version but couldn't test it, let me know if it works.

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes