Can you devs stop with the One "choice option" you give us?!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
What, look at game design 101, don't provide at all the same feeling than the example you gave.
Feelings are personal. I'm with Winterfire in this: a single option, if it makes sense in the context of the narrative as he's explaining, can be extremely effective for me. While I find timed auto advance (as well as time limited choices) terribly disturbing, due to may usual playstyle

Reactions: 246
Jul 14, 2018
What, look at game design 101, don't provide at all the same feeling than the example you gave.
I can't take anything else you've said seriously because of this statement.

Having four options that are all labelled the same, particularly in a game built around arguing directly with the player about who is in control of the narrative is not at all the same as having one option. The entire point of that is to make you feel trapped, that you are no longer in control.

It's unfortunate that it's that influential of a game, as people mimic it without understanding why it does what it does when it does it, but to say it's the same feeling is to either not understand what's being explained or to only have a very surface level understanding of narrative and player agency.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I can't take anything else you've said seriously because of this statement.
Look at the context, and what is effectively said before making such statement. Especially if you claim that it will change your view on the seriousness of someone. Just to be sure that you aren't making a fool of yourself.

Having four options that are all labelled the same, particularly in a game built around arguing directly with the player about who is in control of the narrative is not at all the same as having one option.
Oh, so you can't take me seriously because... Er, because you agree with me ? Seriously ? :/
Except that no, having choice, all the same, and having just a single choice it's not at all the same feeling.

Admiral Thrawn

Mar 31, 2021
Not really.

In a game where you learn from the beginning that every choice has an effect (minor or major as it may be), and suddenly you are given a single choice because of reason x, it will throw the player off. It is actually really common in Yandere games, or other "mind" games.

Take Doki literature club for instance, at some point your only choice will be "Monika." although to be fair, there are like 4 choices, all of which say the same thing... Which is basically just 1 choice.
Denpa vn break a lot of writing and storytelling conventions because they are, to put it bluntly, schizophrenia simulators. Best practice is still best practice even if a few esoteric exceptions exist.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Denpa vn break a lot of writing and storytelling conventions because they are, to put it bluntly, schizophrenia simulators. Best practice is still best practice even if a few esoteric exceptions exist.
They do not break anything, it is normal for those types of games. They are not the only one.

Admiral Thrawn

Mar 31, 2021
They do not break anything, it is normal for those types of games. They are not the only one.
Yes, I realize, that’s why I named the genre. And yes, they do break conventions, that’s how genres and styles are defined especially abstract ones like cubism or denpa.

Deximay

May 29, 2017
It says a lot about the quality of the writing when the only time you're engaged with the game is when you have to make a decision. It is a visual novel in the end, not a choice simulator, a well written visual novel should be able to keep you engaged with the story. It's like if someone said about a book "well, turning the page kept me engaged with the work."
I want to read a book; I open one; I want a VN with no choices; I search for "Kinetic Novel". The choices we make before engaging with the medium of our choices is there, if the Dev alludes us into thinking they give us a choice in their narrative, is the problem, and that's where my problem falls in with this thread. There are amazing visual novels written with plenty of choices to make on this site. Look for the big ones; don't try to take away from the writing skills of others by saying a good visual novel doesn't need choices (you can, but that's a choice on both the dev and the consumer).

Jun 25, 2018
Can't stand it when I'm given a series of choices that are merely cosmetic and give me the same reaction regardless of what I choose. Too much crying wolf because I'll be so tuned out thinking my choices don't matter that when a choice comes later that does matter, I won't care and not be as engaged.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Devs that give us the illusion of a choice by giving us ONE "optinon" like it's us making a meaningful change in the story, like wtf? If random Joe is gonna make a statement regardless of our choice, don't put it there for us to "derp, let's click it", it's annoying.
Going by most of the replys here it seems like people don't know what a choice is.

noun
noun: choice; plural noun: choices
  1. an act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities.
    "the choice between good and evil"
By definition it's not a choice. One "option" is not a "choice", it's as simple as that.

• Angry
Reactions: Dagoth Urgers

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
The second option is to click the big red X in the upper right corner and delete the game.
Your attempts at sarcasm and wit are tiring. Deleting the game only solves one problem it doesn't make the devs see how pointless the action is.

Dagoth Urgers

Dec 12, 2021
Deleting the game only solves one problem it doesn't make the devs see how pointless the action is.
Neither does quibbling over the definition of choice. I think we both understand it to mean "using UI elements that would normally be used for making choices" in this context.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
You guys haven't noticed that the majority of western vns work with fake choices? That's just a strategy to make you think the game has more paths than it actually has, the illusion of choice is a powerful tool.

Anyone that restarts these games to unlock different scenes will see that the story unfolds exactly the same way every time, in most cases you will just skip some content based on choices.

Sure there are exceptions that will take you to very different routes and endings, but for the most part VNs are just hiding from the kinetic novel tag with fake choices and they will wait until the last few minutes of gameplay to actually split the path into multiple endings and grab the second tag on a technicality.

ChaosOpen

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2019
I want to read a book; I open one; I want a VN with no choices; I search for "Kinetic Novel". The choices we make before engaging with the medium of our choices is there, if the Dev alludes us into thinking they give us a choice in their narrative, is the problem, and that's where my problem falls in with this thread. There are amazing visual novels written with plenty of choices to make on this site. Look for the big ones; don't try to take away from the writing skills of others by saying a good visual novel doesn't need choices (you can, but that's a choice on both the dev and the consumer).
You needed to read what I was responding to but it was him basically saying that a "choice" with only one option and no other way to continue keeps him engaged and which is where the book comment comes from. Calling it a "choice" was poor wording on my part, but basically I was agreeing with your point that having a "choice" with one option is about as engaging as turning the page and if that is all it takes then it sounds like the literary equivalent of ambien.

Reactions: Deximay