VN Ren'Py Completed Captured in the Dark [1.0] [Laharl12]

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote

AMRFTY

Jun 28, 2023
Suffering is welcome, that's how you show devotion.

Since laharl12 asked for meaningful feedback, I figured I'd set myself up for a challenge and fired up Captured in the Dark. It's what you would expect and then also it isn't - because it focuses way more on mental imagery and text than it does on actual eye candy. Don't play this if you expect to see any sexual imagery.

I find it truly hard to rate this because it's such foreign material to me. As a story, I can feel the developer taking the main character through all these hoops in order to make her accept and rationalize her own irrational behaviour. She accepts it because she is told to accept it and by default, she is someone who likes to pleasure people - and perhaps even someone who feeds off approval. There is a deeper layer there, but the time skip way the story is told doesn't allow the developer to really get into the "I'm going mentally instable, so I can't rationalize these thoughts" area. Instead, the developer opts for "Maybe I didn't realize I wanted this" - which on the surface looks the same, but has tremendous differences.

Art style wise, it's a mixed bag for me. From what I could tell, it's photos edited with an art style. I read the developer made this game after doing a photoshoot that wasn't planned to become a game. While that restriction is an exciting challenge from a developer standpoint, as a user I at the very least wanted a reshoot. Simply because having the story beforehand allows for better complimentary imagery. You won't get to recognize MC or the other characters by face. The mental load from this is almost like a book - much of it happens between your ears. For a visual novel, that's not much of an exciting premise perhaps. I often didn't mind the art style, but there was so little detail at times that I had issues connecting with the source material. I ended up just reading and ignoring most pictures because it made for a clearer picture.

Story wise it's an interesting build - with multiple pathways. You will have to really allow the MC to submit before you can experience what's next for her. I hated where it ended because all endings basically stopped at a point where the story got interesting for me complexity-wise, but I understand seeing the photoshoot. Honestly, the story still feels quite 'on-rails' while MC is descending into a place of submission. The stark contrast of the emotionless handling by people shows it's a business thing for them, which is slightly more horrific than most of what MC has to endure. If anything, I had wanted the developer to explore that. Since breaking the MC's mind is basically all the cake of this game, for a better connection you need to see her tumble down every level of the rabbit hole - instead of plunging big drops down to the bottom. Even though it might traumatize you (if it hadn't already).

Of course, this is a touchy subject as people are in a similar deprived situation today. I would have loved for MC to stand out more by actually finding some warped bliss in her position as she spirals down into a broken form of sanity. That way, you could better separate the MC from other people currently in her situation which makes everything stand out more. That would set it apart from a standard sl- deprival of freedom story.

It's a thin line walked and I'm not entirely sure how to feel, but I'm curious to see how others feel about this. The developer really wanted to take this somewhere story wise, but I'm not convinced in the graphics department. If I didn't enjoy reading books I probably wouldn't have liked this as much. Because it's keeping me on the fence it's a 2.5/5 - but giving the dev the benefit of the doubt it'll be a short 3/5.

FEEDBACK

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

laharl12

Jun 25, 2019
Thanks, the short answer on how to feel about the story is... your call. The game is loosely based on the tropes of the dark romance/erotica book genre which are in turn themselves quite similar to the story of Beauty and the Beast. It's of course a lot more hardcore than the fairy tale but the story structure underneath is similar. Now, is it an edgier version of the trope to still be enjoyed or is it a cautionary tale of how badly that trope fares when you put some realism in it? Kind of both.
I don't think the heroine really knows what she wants in the beginning, her narration later is unreliable due to her experiences and her captors have an agenda. As a reader I enjoy my own story and imagine that's what the heroine truly wants. But as a writer I want to leave the door open for the reader to decide the opposite. That's a problem with kidnap/forced submission stories in general - all consent afterwards is compromised and you have to rely on the author to tell you if the after-the-fact consent is valid or not. I kind of prefer to leave the question open. That's of course separate from the problems with uneven pacing which you've noticed which is due to me biting off more than I can chew in terms of describing a complex psychological transofmation and slapping two variants of it on top.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMRFTY

AMRFTY

Jun 28, 2023
Thanks, the short answer on how to feel about the story is... your call. The game is loosely based on the tropes of the dark romance/erotica book genre which are in turn themselves quite similar to the story of Beauty and the Beast. It's of course a lot more hardcore than the fairy tale but the story structure underneath is similar. Now, is it an edgier version of the trope to still be enjoyed or is it a cautionary tale of how badly that trope fares when you put some realism in it? Kind of both.
I don't think the heroine really knows what she wants in the beginning, her narration later is unreliable due to her experiences and her captors have an agenda. As a reader I enjoy my own story and imagine that's what the heroine truly wants. But as a writer I want to leave the door open for the reader to decide the opposite. That's a problem with kidnap/forced submission stories in general - all consent afterwards is compromised and you have to rely on the author to tell you if the after-the-fact consent is valid or not. I kind of prefer to leave the question open. That's of course separate from the problems with uneven pacing which you've noticed which is due to me biting off more than I can chew in terms of describing a complex psychological transofmation and slapping two variants of it on top.
Thank you for replying to this. I think it's actually better that you view it as both the cautionary tale and the trope to be enjoyed, it shows you're constantly walking this fine line. As stated, this might be a bit out of my comfort zone -which means readers who feel at ease with the material would easily rate this higher.

Honestly, I'd love to see you further this or take a second, more thorough approach to this type of story. I got especially curious about the whole business behind it, even though the game focusses on the depriving experience of the MC. Totally up to you to decide if you're up for that!

AMRFTY

Jun 28, 2023
This is pretty good for what it is.
I wish there was a more developed epilogue
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
, but I liked the mental aspects of the story.
Please use spoiler tags in your post when speaking about this, because it's definitely something that you won't know at the beginning of the game. Don't ruin the experience for new players.

Reactions: Glitchy Waffle

laharl12

Jun 25, 2019
So, ended up doing a complete remake of art, writing, sex scenes, ect. details are here.

Thanks for the constructive feedback, some of it was quite helpful in helping me figure out what was wrong with the initial project. Will probably share the remake here too in a few weeks.

Aug 12, 2017
So, ended up doing a complete remake of art, writing, sex scenes, ect. details are here.

Thanks for the constructive feedback, some of it was quite helpful in helping me figure out what was wrong with the initial project. Will probably share the remake here too in a few weeks.
we stan brudda, that fresh vibe switch is all flames, total glow up!

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote