Unity Casting Master [v0.0.6 alpha demo] [Unirion]

3.40 star(s) 9 Votes

redle

Apr 12, 2017
Well, none of the things you noted have anything specifically to do with roguelikes either.

I'll agree that over the years the definition of "roguelike" has taken on different forms and meaning to different people and its definition can be a bit vague and arguable at the best of times. But no, my points of note were not unrelated to "what a roguelike is."

I can certainly see how this developer used repurposed roguelike code to implement some, even a lot, of his back-end. And from a developers point of view that can make for its own interesting discussion. I appreciate the novel approach to the game. I hope the developer comes up with more ideas to put into new games in the future because this game demonstrates some good creativity. But, at least for me, a game description is about how the game plays from a player's perspective. And for me, the gameplay is not roguelike. I would not even classify it as roguelite.

Darklord_1965

May 12, 2020
is this good?
TBH, I really like the art but the gameplay is irritating AF, since that you asked. Some selections just don't make any sense at all and unless you have a list of what all those fkn icons above their heads means, you have no way of knowing for sure, so it's a crap shoot and you're going to get pissed off at the game before you finish trying it 10 times in a row. 3 strikes and you're out. No benefits whatsoever for getting them all right, you just get penalized every single time. So if you're a masochist than this one is for you. I'll probably revisit later since it's an early demo which is also why I didn't write a negative review right away. But the way it is right now it's more infuriating than anything else. Good luck if you do.

Sscdrake

Jun 24, 2018

I'll agree that over the years the definition of "roguelike" has taken on different forms and meaning to different people and its definition can be a bit vague and arguable at the best of times. But no, my points of note were not unrelated to "what a roguelike is."

I can certainly see how this developer used repurposed roguelike code to implement some, even a lot, of his back-end. And from a developers point of view that can make for its own interesting discussion. I appreciate the novel approach to the game. I hope the developer comes up with more ideas to put into new games in the future because this game demonstrates some good creativity. But, at least for me, a game description is about how the game plays from a player's perspective. And for me, the gameplay is not roguelike. I would not even classify it as roguelite.
Alright, first of all, and I'm going to try and say this as kindly as possible, but wikipedia is never ever a worthy source. I suggest you do some long hard research on the pitfalls of wikipedia, especially when it comes to politics or controversial or subjective things, but on a base level, a huge portion of Wikipedia is either flatly subjective opinion or wrong 'facts' from dubious or long disproven sources.

Let's go over your points:

• Dungeons: Does not need them to be a roguelike. Theoretically, literally any gametype setting would work. You could have a roguelike card game or farming sim.
  • procedurally generated: Gameplay elements and maps can be handcrafted and then randomly selected or put together, which would not make it procedurally generated. This has never been a requirement, just a popular way to keep an inherently repetitive gameplay loop fresh. For instance, Slay the Spire, a roguelite deck builder, uses handcrafted elements it randomly arranges. Far as I know, nothing is procedural.
  • Physical grid-like movement: The f? Literally 90% of the most popular roguelikes don't do this, like Hades.
  • Combat: Incredibly common to most games overall, but not outright a requirement.
  • Turn-based: Not an element of roguelikes and never has been, the earliest ones just happened to have a simul-turn style. That's like saying every shooter has to be an arena shooter to be called a shooter.
  • Permanent death/game over: ??? Most games have this, you know.
  • DnD themed/styled: Again, ???? This has NEVER EVER been a requirement or even trope of roguelikes.
  • Character creation: ?????? Again, not something many roguelikes even do.

So yeah, unless your definition of roguelikes requires you to cover your ears and eyes and demands only 100% exact clones of the first ever few roguelikes, which is rather small-minded and unrealistic, then no, none of your points have anything specifically to do with roguelikes.

Feel free to disagree, just keep in mind that even in a group of rogue-like enthusiasts like myself, people would be shaking their heads and laughing at your back.

Last edited:

munstre

Jun 23, 2019
I know that the most popular genre is visual novels here, and I'm completely ok with that, but my game is just in a completely different genre. This is adult arcade simulator with the roguelike rules, having almost nothing common with the visual novel. So, I think it would be a mistake to consider/expect the game as VN. munstre sorry if I understand you wrong.
Yes, you misunderstood. The game I'm talking about isn't a VN and besides, it was only an example meant to point out what a good erotic game (that's not a VN) does to integrate the erotic part into its gameplay. I tried to underline a core shortcoming of erotic games that don't plan out the erotic part of their game because it seems like you're heading in this direction.

I just don't really see the point of making an erotic game where the gameplay just avoids the erotic part. It seems to me that the only reason one would take this path is because they aren't confident in making a game engaging enough on its own so the erotic content is there for marketing/sales purposes. Which, I suppose is fine, especially if you're in a situation where you need your game to at least not flop or perhaps you're just testing the waters but otherwise, if you're not interested in the erotic parts, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't just try to make a game that's good and can stand on its own instead.

Rubbeldiekatz

Dec 18, 2019
Ozelot?! What the hell is an alpha demo??? Is it like level 1 of the alpha playable as a demo or like the alpha of the 1st playable level that will be out as a demo some day? And whats next? Demo beta or beta demo? I am confused...

Unirion

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2021
Ozelot?! What the hell is an alpha demo??? Is it like level 1 of the alpha playable as a demo or like the alpha of the 1st playable level that will be out as a demo some day? And whats next? Demo beta or beta demo? I am confused...
Alpha means very early stage of development. ;)
Demo means exactly what it sounds like - demonstration of core game mechanics. :D

morphiospain

Jan 8, 2019
I am not a fan of AI art at all. The biggest reason is most use it and do no edits or anything. They use it to do everything. Then the mistakes are rich and hard not to miss. I have to say I feel from checking out the game, you are doing it right tweaking as needed. I think there is still some work needed but thank you for taking the time and using AI in the right way.

Good luck with the game!!!! I am enjoying it so far!!!

Reactions: Archaic and Unirion

vihnyan

Mar 13, 2018
i loved the art style!
look like a gatcha a little... wich isnt a bad thing.
the gameplay is fun but i hope the characters will have some scenes in the future.
(and more femboys would be great too * - *)
but in the future the characters will have dialogs and scenes ?
i hope to see more of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: balvenie1401

Mokey

Jun 27, 2018
REALLY looking forward to full development...art style is fantastic, really showing how good AI can look.

Reactions: Unirion

Unirion

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2021
MacOs and Linux builds have been fixed. Download Links have been renewed.
Re-download please. Thanks for your patience.

Unirion

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2021
Vote for the new game feature
Free for everyone on

reali_vision_poll.jpg

Oct 24, 2017
Vote for the new game feature
Free for everyone on

View attachment 3261029
Don't have a patreon account and I'd rather not, but I'll say your current models look fine. I'd rather see the gameplay fleshed out rather than time spent adding a new style.

I really like the current style as is, too! I'd say it's the main thing that brought me in. Just please focus on developing the gameplay :)

Unirion

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2021
Don't have a patreon account and I'd rather not, but I'll say your current models look fine. I'd rather see the gameplay fleshed out rather than time spent adding a new style.

I really like the current style as is, too! I'd say it's the main thing that brought me in. Just please focus on developing the gameplay :)
Actually, I considered the realistic vision feature to be a gameplay element. However, it seems I must discard this idea as the community is strongly opposed to it! ❤

J_M

Oct 8, 2017
OK, I'm not a game developer nor did I write a line of code in my life (save for the compulsory programming I had to do in the uni) but I believe your little game is too little... The player is doing the casting, all right, but I can't feel myself rewarded enough with the knowledge that I picked the right girls. I would like some sort of ulterior interactions with the girls or literally, anything else that puts a bit more flesh on the very dry bone that it is today. The game loop is a bit to barren currently...

Unirion

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2021
Poll added. It's very important and acute right now. Please help me to make right decisions. Thnx

3.40 star(s) 9 Votes