Obsidion69

Jun 16, 2018
You know again by no means do I want to piss on the new version of the game but it's still a shame the team at Cuddle Pit let themselves be bullied by Nintendo. The fact is any halfway sober let alone decent lawyer with a judge not on Nintendo payroll could have gotten the threatened lawsuit tossed in under a day and then counter sued for harassment. The original version of the game was no more a violation of Nintendo's copyright than the millions of cosplayers and kids wearing homemade costumes who dress up as pokemon for Cons and Halloween each year to say nothing of the cos-play models who actually make money off it. After all the game did not represent pokemon but pokemon fans and the cosplay community with an original story and gameplay that was far from identical to Pokemon itself which are worst would put it squarely in fair use/parody laws.

azraelswegul

Dec 27, 2017
You know again by no means do I want to piss on the new version of the game but it's still a shame the team at Cuddle Pit let themselves be bullied by Nintendo. The fact is any halfway sober let alone decent lawyer with a judge not on Nintendo payroll could have gotten the threatened lawsuit tossed in under a day and then counter sued for harassment. The original version of the game was no more a violation of Nintendo's copyright than the millions of cosplayers and kids wearing homemade costumes who dress up as pokemon for Cons and Halloween each year to say nothing of the cos-play models who actually make money off it. After all the game did not represent pokemon but pokemon fans and the cosplay community with an original story and gameplay that was far from identical to Pokemon itself which are worst would put it squarely in fair use/parody laws.
hell, seeing how the designs were and the suits were only approximations of the pokemon they could've perfectly just changed the names like instead of "pikachu echo" it said "Picatchu echo" and nintendo would have no ground to stand on... similar names and color patterns is not enough for a copyright claim.

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
The fact is any halfway sober let alone decent lawyer with a judge not on Nintendo payroll could have gotten the threatened lawsuit tossed in under a day and then counter sued for harassment.
Name one time where this has happened.

, I don't know of any project that gets on their radar and survives. Maybe it has happened, and maybe it can happen, but it's not the typical result.

Reactions: Aazkaal

DevTrav

Game Developer
Jul 13, 2017
Could anyone help? For some reason the game just launches Flash Player but not the game itself???
For some reason moving the exe out of the downloads folder and somewhere else like for the desktop for example can fix this.

Reactions: cennet123

Obsidion69

Jun 16, 2018
Name one time where this has happened.

, I don't know of any project that gets on their radar and survives. Maybe it has happened, and maybe it can happen, but it's not the typical result.
You're right Nintendo is brutal in its lawsuits and rarely do projects survive them since the vast majority of the time Nintendo actually has a legal leg to stand on because the people they're going after are legitimately violating copywrite by trying to remake actual Nintendo titles, make unofficial sequels using actual Nintendo assets, etc... and the rest of the time they go out of their way to scare the living shit out of the devs, who typically know as much about copyright law as they do brain surgery, to the point they think even asking for a lawyer to look at the case would cost them a years work of development funds or more. As I said though that's not the case here.

As for an example of a game surviving similar legal challenges look up an old Quake 3 mod called Bid for Power; it's about the closest example to the differences between Con-quest and Pokemon. Originally it was a DBZ total conversion until Funimation and Toei of Japan caught wind of it and slapped the team with a C&D order. How'd they deal with it they just replaced the official DBZ characters and associated sound files with original ones based on the style of DBZ without altering the gameplay in anyway. Hell they didn't even change most of the maps. Been around for the better part of 2 decades and you can still download it today from Mod DB. There's even an extra fan pack which adds all the cut content back in.

On a different not the devs should really poke fun at Nintendo for this shit. For example in the new version they are perfectly within their rights to rip on Nintendo while referencing Pokemon by saying something like "Well this was gonna be a Pokemon convention but the organizers were worried about getting sued so they decided 'Pika Pika Fuck You!'."

BigSmurf

Mar 3, 2020
I was playing this game years ago arrived to the end of contents and then I waited a lot for playing the new stuff. When i downloaded it now i have seen quite a different scenario.

Do the new story arrives as far as the old fashioned version (till 0.11 if i am correct) arrived?.

Do the 0.11 ends the story? I played a version probably lot before 0.11 and i have seen that is currently possible to play it on NG but i will start it only if it ends the story, if not i will try, maybe, this version. Thx

Mushmushy1

May 30, 2017
The thing was, there actually was blatant art of Pokémon starters in a few of the early rooms, which was apparently what prompted them to redo the entire game anyway. Everyone knows Nintendo loves to wave their copyright cock around especially where Pokémon is concerned. They've shut down quite a few non-profit romhacks and fangames as well.

I'm not going to pretend to know much or anything about law, but for a small team of people drawing cartoon tits in a basement somewhere it probably wasn't worth the trouble to fight a legal battle against the biggest and most profitable franchise to ever exist.

LB1990

Jan 11, 2020
I didnt know the first version with the pokemon stuff etc ...

But i have to say, i fall in love for this version of the game, he seem better like this, and i love the story. Continue in this path, it's really good ! I really want to see more.

Reactions: Mr.Ch4ng

Axle Jones

Aug 30, 2019
I didnt know the first version with the pokemon stuff etc ...

But i have to say, i fall in love for this version of the game, he seem better like this, and i love the story. Continue in this path, it's really good ! I really want to see more.
the main problem people has is that this has very little content while the old version had way way more, more rooms and story, 4 summons,lot of animated sex scenes. gameplay wise the new combat system is nice and adds more depth than the original but it was intended to be added to the old version before the Pokemon purge, same with the new area designs so while there are a couple improvements there was also a lot lost

4.10 star(s) 29 Votes