Ren'Py Contagion Crisis [Development Thread]

WeLoveMonsters

Game Developer
Jan 18, 2024
If you give players a choice, it's always going to be Daz. It's just far easier (and less tedious, at times) to look at for longer periods of time.
That's what seems to be the preference so far. But we had 21 animations on the HS2 side vs 4 on the daz side. If it meant faster updates and a completed story... would players prefer HS2? I don't know. I'm trying to get an apples to apples comparison. But it's definitely more difficult, more costly, and takes longer to develop.

WeLoveMonsters

Game Developer
Jan 18, 2024
As a Resident Evil fan I'm looking forward to play this game. DAZ models looks great IMO. Good luck!
Glad to hear it! I'm hoping to finish the audio for the demos today and then we'll just be waiting for the final post-processing of the daz images and our redo of animations. So, hopefully, we'll be ready in another week or two.

WeLoveMonsters

Game Developer
Jan 18, 2024
The HS2 demo is officially done. All let's left is compression. I spent the weekend adding sound and sfx to both demos. Based on the previous review of the Daz edition, we went back through and added some new animations. We added 4 new scenes with 3 different pov's each for a total of 12 animations. It's still half of what HS2 has, but hopefully the quality is better. We'll have to see based on feedback. On the Daz side, we're still waiting for post-processing to get completed. We've tried a few different people and the results have been rather mixed based on initial feedback. I found some bullet wounds files and tried getting some the MATs and geoshells from 8.1 to work in 9, but it just caused too many issues for it to be viable.

For those interested in playing, I'm going to wait until the Daz version is completed before releasing them both. If we can't find a good use of post-post processing, that's something that will have to be taken in consideration for the evaluation.

Without community feedback, I feel pretty mixed on which route I want to go. HS2 is faster, cheaper, and gets the job done, but it leans toward a very eastern stylization. Daz is the exact opposite. It takes longer to render, animations require a third-party, but damn it looks great when you get a really nice shot. I also feel more comfortable in Daz than HS2 studio which allows me to trial things and tweak things the artist gives me.

I personally like both flavors of renders, else I wouldn't have done the two demos in the first place. They both have their own charm.

Now onto some new shares:

I love the main menu scene that Xutora put together on the HS2 side to match what we had on the Daz side. It's super cool, and hints at what's to cum :)
main_menu.png

We also have our first look at what Sarah and Ava would look like in HS2
HS2973.png
HS2091.png
1.png
2.png

WeLoveMonsters

Game Developer
Jan 18, 2024
It's now been a full week since the release of the demo and we're excited to see how many people have downloaded it and played.

As of this moment, from all the sources that show the number of downloads, the demo has been downloaded over 5000 times between all the versions. It's clear to us that there is a community who is excited to play this kind of content.

With the votes in, we have decided to move forward with the Honey Select 2 version of the game. The voting was 60/40 in favor of the HS2 version. Once we're ready to publish the first chapter, we'll start pulling the daz stuff down.

We're already in development of Chapter 1. Renders are progressing, and we have some pretty cool stuff planned.

We're going to try to push for a release every 4-6 weeks, depending on the chapter length.

We'll hopefully have more to share in the upcoming weeks.

WeLoveMonsters

Game Developer
Jan 18, 2024
Hey folks! Just stopping by for another quick update. We continue to push forward with more rendering and story development. Xutora has completed additional renders and animations. We've passed the 200 render mark for Ch. 1! The closer we get, the more excited we are. We're still pushing for an end of month release, but we might be pushing into the first week of May. More will come the closer we get next weekend. Thank you all for being patient and waiting for us!

Ch. 1:
Script: 100% complete
Programming: 55% complete
HS2 renders/animations: 75% complete

WeLoveMonsters

Game Developer
Jan 18, 2024
Hey folks! Time for another quick update. The last update we passed the 200 renders mark. This update I'm happy to share that we've passed the 300 renders mark. Xutora has been rockin' and rollin' with some great updates. Judging by where we're at on the outline, I'd say we've got another week or so left of work to do, so it doesn't look like we'll have everything done for April. We'll still have to do audio for the animations once all the renders are done which can take a few days. However, we're making great progress and I think you're all going to be happy with the first chapter. Both Xutora and I are excited to get this into your hands :)

Ch. 1:
Script: 100% complete
Programming: 75% complete
HS2 renders/animations: 90% complete

Last edited: