Oppai Auteur

Developer of Old Friends and Public Transport
Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Thanks for sending the traceback! If you don't mind, it'd be a huge help if you could try one thing, and then if that doesn't work just answer a couple questions? Sorry for the annoyance!

First of all, could you try saving and then reloading the game, then moving to a different screen and try opening the Character Cards? If what I suspect is the problem actually is the problem, the Cards should work.

If that doesn't work, then just a couple questions:

1. Are you using the Win, Mac or Android build? 2. Does opening the Character Card ALWAYS give an error, or only after a certain point? 3. Does it give an error for every girl, or just Annie? (Or does it crash before you even get to select a girl?)

Again, sorry for the hassle!
No problem, happy to help

Saving then reloading solved the problem completely

I may have to sneak into your house and steal some of those Oppai mouse mats - they sound super comfy! ;)
Oppai makes everything better :p

ArcGames

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2019
No problem, happy to help

Saving then reloading solved the problem completely

Oppai makes everything better :p
Ah, fantastic! Then I know what's wrong and Sunday's update will quash the bug completely. Thanks a lot for pointing it out, and helping me track down the issue! :D

And you're not wrong. We should really try dropping them into war zones.

Oppai Auteur

Developer of Old Friends and Public Transport
Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Ah, fantastic! Then I know what's wrong and Sunday's update will quash the bug completely. Thanks a lot for pointing it out, and helping me track down the issue! :D
Glad I could help!

And you're not wrong. We should really try dropping them into war zones.
Any nearby explosions would cause a fair amount of jiggle lol :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: ArcGames

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I've checked with a few other people, and they all report no blurriness either. It's really weird that you're getting it, but hopefully the post I linked will solve the issue!
They won't if they're running it at the native size, it's running it fullscreen on anything larger than 1280x720 that is a problem (which is a pretty small screen these days). I don't know if Ren'py supports scaling the map but not the icons (and using larger icons on a really big screen like a 4k), which would be the ideal solution. The other option would be to have the text rendered by Ren'py rather than baked into the icons, but again I don't know how you'd do this. If you can't do anything about it I wouldn't worry, it's not exactly a game-breaking issue, it's just kind of irritating when you use the map.
And no, I didn't draw the other maps - they're from two free online map generators: and . Both of which are amazing bits of software, but unfortunately I can't find an equivalent for designing interiors.
mansion.png Ah, I see. There's one at , although the floorplans aren't very good if you ask me. I imagine that making plans for buildings randomly and having them actually make sense is probably quite a bit harder than cities. Drawing something yourself would likely give better results. You'd need to spend more time than I did to make it look good though. Another option would be to have the house map simply be the house from the outside, that could work if you have a suitable model for it.

Thanks for the warning :) I may try to be a little sneaky and slip it into the game anyway (if Patreon slaps my wrist it's easy enough to remove) or I could just go the easy option and get the players to choose what to call her. Depends on how smart I'm feeling.
From what I've heard things Patreon doesn't like are usually only a problem if you put them on the Patreon page itself; they aren't going to bother downloading and playing the game. Unless you refer to her as 'Aunt Jessica' on Patreon, you're probably safe. Likewise don't post any pictures of Emma in her school uniform.

madmax20

Jan 22, 2018
Yes, because you are displaying it at native(1280x720). Try display at Master of Puppets resolution(1920x1080), or mine(2560x1440). It doesn't matter if scaling is set to GPU, Renpy, Monitor or disabled. The aspect ratio is messed up at 2.34 vs native 1.77.

Example: prologue-council.webm 1280x720
Plays at: 2370x1015 2375x1015 when maximized windowed.
View attachment 376885
there are other windows scaling options other than in the graphics card preference UI, which will directly effect games and applications.

what version of windows are you running ?

riktor

Nov 26, 2018
They won't if they're running it at the native size, it's running it fullscreen on anything larger than 1280x720 that is a problem (which is a pretty small screen these days).
I run at 1920x1080 (vga) with no blurriness issues.

Last edited:

Cmann

Donor
Feb 7, 2019
there are other windows scaling options other than in the graphics card preference UI, which will directly effect games and applications.
They are disabled except for ClearType, tested without it. Also disabled UltraMon, RTSS, MadVR, LAV, ffdshow and anything else that occasionally cause obscure scaling issues regarding 3D or video.
Did mention another Ren'Py game with the exact same source format which is able to maintain a proper 16:9 format.

Last edited:

Cmann

Donor
Feb 7, 2019
Sure, attached. the text doesn't seem blurry at all to me.
Exact same borked aspect ratio, 2.34 or ≈ 16:6.8 instead of 16:9 which is both source and output format.
PS: Sorry for editing it out, but I figured it was sort of mute after double-checking on a different system. Thank you for confirming it though.

Cmann

Donor
Feb 7, 2019
I wasn't referring to the AR, only the readability of the text that master of puppets had mentioned in the post I quoted.
Yes, which comes from a borked aspect ratio. Some monitors/setups have half-decent ways of coping with this, but text looks quite bad no matter what because of aliasing.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
ArcGames I've been thinking about different types of submissives, and there are a couple of types that I'm curious if any of the girls will be like.
The first would be the bratty type, who acts out or gets cheeky in order to get punished (presumably one of her quirks would be to remove this trait for people who don't like that).
The other I'm curious about would be a girl with a fetish for being mind controlled, who due to her interests figures out that MC has the power. She would be nervous about him but ultimately couldn't resist being drawn to him and getting what she wanted.
Just curious if any of the girls we haven't had yet (or who haven't appeared yet, there's still free slots on the character card screen) will be anything like either of those.

AlisaB

Jun 19, 2018
ArcGames
The first would be the bratty type, who acts out or gets cheeky in order to get punished (presumably one of her quirks would be to remove this trait for people who don't like that).
The other I'm curious about would be a girl with a fetish for being mind controlled, who due to her interests figures out that MC has the power. She would be nervous about him but ultimately couldn't resist being drawn to him and getting what she wanted.
The first idea is quite decent imo, AFTER the girl has been Awakened and somewhat trained.
The 2nd idea... if shes already pretty much a willing slave, doesnt that make mind control kind of pointless?
But who knows what Arc has in store? I mean, he even put character for dendrophiliacs so anything is possible with this degenerate ;)

ArcGames

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2019
ArcGames I've been thinking about different types of submissives, and there are a couple of types that I'm curious if any of the girls will be like.
Just curious if any of the girls we haven't had yet (or who haven't appeared yet, there's still free slots on the character card screen) will be anything like either of those.
The "Brat" archetype, yes, for sure - I already have the character model and basic story arc written out for her. Just waiting until the existing girls are fleshed out more before introducing her :)

The second type I've actually been rolling around in my head for a while. I have a few ideas for a character like that, but I want to think about them for a while longer before deciding anything.

Also, there's going to be more girls than the current "available slots" indicate. Those slots are really just for the girls that I remembered whilst I was coding the Character Cards, and I've already remembered a couple I forgot at the time :p So there's going to be a few more personality types thrown into the mix as well as those listed above. The Yandere character I hinted at in an earlier post, for one, as well as a couple others that I'm quite looking forward to.

The first idea is quite decent imo, AFTER the girl has been Awakened and somewhat trained.
The 2nd idea... if shes already pretty much a willing slave, doesnt that make mind control kind of pointless?
But who knows what Arc has in store? I mean, he even put character for dendrophiliacs so anything is possible with this degenerate ;)
You aint seen nothin' yet ;)

Last edited:

Altaira

Mar 12, 2018
A couple of requests/suggestions (I haven't searched the thread to see if they were made before, so I apologise if I repeat them):
  • reintroduce the option to work in the Bar in Act II or add a "Wait until Monday Morning" option (in our bedroom).
    ___In Act I you could do the events which advance time in the Morning and spend the Afternoon and Evening working at the Bar earning money, so that you feel you spent your time productively (and developed a rhythm). But Act II removed the option to work at the Bar, so that your only source of income are Monday Mornings.
    ___If you saved enough you can find yourself on the first Monday Afternoon of Act II owning the Farm with the Barns Upgrade giving you a total income of 300 and leaving you with 0-100 in the bank. I assume the next purchasable property will be the Bar which costs 500, so you'll have to wait for two weeks to get enough money to buy it. And the only things to do in those 41 time slots are the four permutations of sex with Chloe or Gwen, otherwise you just need to click the "Wait..." option over and over again. Of course, the game is in development, so you might add another ~37 events before the Bar purchase to fill the time.
    ___And reintroducing working at the Bar wouldn't unbalance the economy. A whole week of Bar work nets you 280, which is on par with the 300 income you get at this point from your holdings.

• the top black bar has so much space left, could you add the "World Map", "Town Map" and "Your Bedroom" buttons to it (to make navigation more convenient)?
    ___Even just the World and Bedroom buttons would be enough, as you can reach Town with a single click from the World Map.

• in the main Property listing screen (where all the Property cards are visible), could you put the padlock icon over the image of the individual Card to signify the Property isn't yet purchasable?
    Eg. pc_farm_idle_locked.png

• on the same screen as the previous suggestion, could you change the background of the individual Cards from Black to another color when they are owned (maybe Orange as you use that on the individual Property pages to signify ownership)?
    ___(no example here as it was too much hassle to make, sorry)

• on the same screen as the previous suggestion, in the bottom title bar of each individual Card could you add icons representing the different upgrades and their ownership status?
    ___Ideally each icon would be unique and look like the upgrade it stands for. But you could also use a generic icon (eg. a golden star).
    ___You can fit two icon comfortably (one each in the left and right corner of the cards), and if a property has more upgrades you could use half-height icons allowing up to eight of them to fit on a single card.
    ___As far as ownership status is concerned, you can use just the outline of the icon for unowned upgrades, and a filled icon for owned ones.
    ___Some examples: pc_farm_idle_upgrade_0v1.png pc_farm_idle_upgrade_1.png pc_farm_idle_upgrade_0v2.png pc_farm_idle_upgrade_0v8.png

The three suggestions above are meant to give more of a sense of accomplishment when viewing that screen. They will also make the screen more useful management wise, and cut down on the clicking needed to check everything.

• in the main Character listing screen (where all the Character cards are visible), could you change the background of the individual Cards from Black to another color when there is progress available with the character? (maybe Golden background with Black name)?
    ___That would cut down on the clicking necessary to check the progress in a new version.
And finally just a thing I wonder. Has all the time and effort you put into developing the furniture (and store) for the flat (and the money players spent buying it) been rendered obsolete by Act II?

ArcGames

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2019
A couple of requests/suggestions (I haven't searched the thread to see if they were made before, so I apologise if I repeat them):
  • reintroduce the option to work in the Bar in Act II or add a "Wait until Monday Morning" option (in our bedroom).
    ___In Act I you could do the events which advance time in the Morning and spend the Afternoon and Evening working at the Bar earning money, so that you feel you spent your time productively (and developed a rhythm). But Act II removed the option to work at the Bar, so that your only source of income are Monday Mornings.
    ___If you saved enough you can find yourself on the first Monday Afternoon of Act II owning the Farm with the Barns Upgrade giving you a total income of 300 and leaving you with 0-100 in the bank. I assume the next purchasable property will be the Bar which costs 500, so you'll have to wait for two weeks to get enough money to buy it. And the only things to do in those 41 time slots are the four permutations of sex with Chloe or Gwen, otherwise you just need to click the "Wait..." option over and over again. Of course, the game is in development, so you might add another ~37 events before the Bar purchase to fill the time.
    ___And reintroducing working at the Bar wouldn't unbalance the economy. A whole week of Bar work nets you 280, which is on par with the 300 income you get at this point from your holdings.

• the top black bar has so much space left, could you add the "World Map", "Town Map" and "Your Bedroom" buttons to it (to make navigation more convenient)?
    ___Even just the World and Bedroom buttons would be enough, as you can reach Town with a single click from the World Map.

• in the main Property listing screen (where all the Property cards are visible), could you put the padlock icon over the image of the individual Card to signify the Property isn't yet purchasable?
    Eg. View attachment 377407

• on the same screen as the previous suggestion, could you change the background of the individual Cards from Black to another color when they are owned (maybe Orange as you use that on the individual Property pages to signify ownership)?
    ___(no example here as it was too much hassle to make, sorry)

• on the same screen as the previous suggestion, in the bottom title bar of each individual Card could you add icons representing the different upgrades and their ownership status?
    ___Ideally each icon would be unique and look like the upgrade it stands for. But you could also use a generic icon (eg. a golden star).
    ___You can fit two icon comfortably (one each in the left and right corner of the cards), and if a property has more upgrades you could use half-height icons allowing up to eight of them to fit on a single card.
    ___As far as ownership status is concerned, you can use just the outline of the icon for unowned upgrades, and a filled icon for owned ones.
    ___Some examples: View attachment 377383 View attachment 377385 View attachment 377387 View attachment 377390

The three suggestions above are meant to give more of a sense of accomplishment when viewing that screen. They will also make the screen more useful management wise, and cut down on the clicking needed to check everything.

• in the main Character listing screen (where all the Character cards are visible), could you change the background of the individual Cards from Black to another color when there is progress available with the character? (maybe Golden background with Black name)?
    ___That would cut down on the clicking necessary to check the progress in a new version.
And finally just a thing I wonder. Has all the time and effort you put into developing the furniture (and store) for the flat (and the money players spent buying it) been rendered obsolete by Act II?
Hey, thanks for the detailed feedback (and the graphical examples) :) Some of what you mentioned has been brought up before, but I'm happy to answer it again. So, in order:

Reintroducing the "Work in the Bar" option: This was taken out temporarily so that I could monitor the Property economy with as few variables in the mix as possible. Initially I wasn't sure if I should re-introduce it, or go for other, more restricted methods of gaining money during the week, but having observed all the data people have been sending me on the subject I will almost certainly be re-introducing the "Work at the Bar" option in this Sunday's update!

Map buttons in the top bar: This won't be happening, I'm afraid, for the simple reason that I use certain screen transitions to trigger events (returning to your flat and bumping into Emma, for example) which would become a huge pain if I allowed players to skip to certain locations. What I will be doing, however, is adding a "forward time" button to the Town and Map screens so that players don't have to return to their bedrooms to rest.

Property Not Available in This Version Icons: I might do this, but it doubles the number of images used for Property Cards and I'm hoping to introduce the ability to buy each property fairly quickly. This really depends on public demand.

Orange background on owned property: Do you mean the black bar at the bottom and the small black outline around each card? If so, then possibly (though, again, that doubles the number of images). Most of the graphics and UI elements are temporary in any case - created by me in an hour or two in the full expectation that I'd be completely overhauling them later!

Icons to indicate Upgrade Ownership on Front Property Cards: As much as I like the idea, and your design is very cool, this one is a hard no, I'm afraid. At least for the foreseeable future. Apart from the repeating issue of "more and more image files" there's both technical and practical issues, ranging from increasingly complex code for each card down to the more simple "I have no idea what upgrades I'll be adding, or removing, or editing as time goes on." This is one of the "When the game is basically finished I'll go back over it and see what's feasible" QoL concepts.

I do like the idea, though :)

Character Cards Change Colour to Indicate Available Events: This one's another no, I'm afraid (I feel like the Grinch...). A few reasons for this one: The first, and most important, is that the Character Cards are there to act as hints if you're stuck, not as a walkthrough to follow step by step. I don't want people checking them religiously - I want people to explore (and for people who want to know what new events are available in the latest update, the changelogs are available on every site that hosts this game).

The second issue is that the Character Card Hints only display hints for available LOVE content, not SLUTTINESS, EXHIBITIONISM or SUBMISSION content. So if I have it glow orange when any of those events are available it'll confuse players who see the hint says "No more content in this version" and if it only glows for LOVE content then people may begin to rely on the glow and miss out on the content for the other stats.

The third thing is that a feature like this would be one more straw on the "busywork" pile for me - and I have enough straws! :p

Furniture and Furniture Store: Finally some good news for you! The furniture you bought in Act One will be displayable in your Manor bedroom, and the furniture store will begin to stock more decoration items. This isn't in right now, but it should be in either this Sunday's update, or next Sunday's.

Phew! I think that covers everything. If not, or if you'd like clarification on anything, just let me know.

The tl;dr of the whole thing is: I'm doing what I can to make the game pretty and easy to use for everyone, but it's just me making this game, and I release updates weekly. I have to keep my workload as small as possible so I can actually create content. There's lots of aesthetic stuff I'd love to include, but I'm not going to if it means I have to sacrifice content creation.

Hopefully people enjoy the game enough to put up with any less-than-ideal aesthetic aspects until I either have enough time to get around to them, or we hit enough goals that I can begin hiring help :)

4.40 star(s) 232 Votes