quiboune

Sep 2, 2018
Is there a particular upgrade for being able to grab a flying Chosen? I was using a 4-turn 2-use on-command Hunger commander iirc, and the description said "even against a flying target".
When you're looking at your Commander description screen it shows "[X] Flight", right?

Edit: CSdev I checked in the game and it's bugged. It does say "Even against a flying target" even if you don't have the upgrade.
To answer the question, you have to buy the upgrade that allows your commanders to grab flying targets and then give one of your commanders that ability.

Last edited:

ara1111

Apr 6, 2019
Is there a particular upgrade for being able to grab a flying Chosen? I was using a 4-turn 2-use on-command Hunger commander iirc, and the description said "even against a flying target".
You have to buy the relentlessness general upgrade for that, then also pay 10 EE on making a commander to use it. Similar to ambush.

Reactions: Pretentious Goblin

ara1111

Apr 6, 2019
Nope, I haven't even seen that upgrade yet. Description is arguably misleading if you don't know you need a separate upgrade.
''For + 10 evil energy per deployment, your commander will capture chosen who are flying above the battleground."
Its very explicit.
On that note do wish we could reread ability descriptions after buying them, rather than having to go to a file I ain't bought this on

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
''For + 10 evil energy per deployment, your commander will capture chosen who are flying above the battleground."
Its very explicit.
On that note do wish we could reread ability descriptions after buying them, rather than having to go to a file I ain't bought this on
No, that upgrade hasn't even shown up on my list, I guess I don't have the prerequisites yet. I wasn't even aware it existed, so when I read "Your Commander is an oversized humanoid Demon covered with gaping mouths which allow you to speak your hateful will directly to the Chosen. It will accompany your Demons and lie in wait, allowing you to ambush your target and capture her for four rounds once you give the order, up to twice, even against a flying target.", I assumed that was all I needed to capture flying Chosen.

ara1111

Apr 6, 2019
It will accompany your Demons and lie in wait, allowing you to ambush your target and capture her for four rounds once you give the order, up to twice, even against a flying target."
Oh yea you right that is misleading

Jan 10, 2018
I got it to Level 2, i.e. 1000 of that circumstance. How high do I actually need before I start seeing changes? I already feel pressured to go the first 2 weeks without ever using a commander. Since it takes me a minimum of 2 EP to even get to breaking Level 2 of a core vulnerability after spending EP on nothing but passive upgrades for 15 days, I was hoping using a commander would be an investment to start generating more EP than 3 per battle.
For the first break, you don't need to get to a specific number, per se; rather, you need to provoke the Chosen into using a specific skill.

In practice, this means you need to approach the third level of circumstance damage (not necessarily in the associated category) during a Surround while using a certain type of attack, which can be seen on the examine screen. So if you want to cause a Morality break, for instance, you need to use (if I recall correctly) either Grind or Pummel, and have done ~5000 Circumstance damage (exact amount depends on how rapidly it's increasing, I believe). Conversely, if you're avoiding breaking her Morality for whatever reason, you need to avoid using those two skills.

As for using commanders, I'd honestly recommend that you avoid using them until you can deploy them for four rounds or so. They don't really earn their keep back before that point, in my opinion.

quiboune

Sep 2, 2018
Nope, I haven't even seen that upgrade yet. Description is arguably misleading if you don't know you need a separate upgrade.
Yeah, as I said, it's a bug. The game is probably not testing if your commander has the Flight ability properly and always assumes yes. I'm sure the Dev will fix it but, in the meanwhile, you need to buy an upgrade and then buy the ability for your commander. It's a pretty late-game thing, so focus on breaking them for starters.

bobjones9792

May 27, 2017
I did some testing of the new punisher class upgrade for the commander. Its not really working as intended if its supposed to be a scalpel, as suggested. There's no player choice as to trauma selected, and its always paired with its natural circumstance, which of course greatly inhibits the circumstances growth. Since you can't change what it targets in battle, that makes it even worse then the advanced sledgehammer commanders from the defiler and suppressor trees, who at least do damage to multiple circumstances at once and usually boost growth that way.

My suggestion with the punisher class would be to either allow the player to choose the trauma affected, not affect traumas at all, or probably the most balanced solution, temporarily suppress the inhibition effect the paired trauma has on circumstance growth while the punisher commander has captured the Chosen. Another option might be to allow switching from one researched punisher class to another mid-battle, so you can at least build up multipliers then switch to the one you really want. Right now there's no reason to use punishers unless the chosen are broken in already, which doesn't address the problem at all with lack of selective corruption.

Last edited:
Reactions: KapitanDupa

number361

Dec 2, 2018
I've tried this game two times now and it still escapes me. The "tip" section is actually not a tip section, just a pure "game rules you need to remember to actually play anything". walloftextcricitcalyhitsplayer for 9999 damage.

It seems each Chosen is weak to something. You challenge them, hit their weakness. You can surround her afterwards. After this you can choose a secondary type of attack...which barely does anything at all even if you target their weakness (is the ----- part even shows their weakness? sometimes I hit for 50, sometimes for 100...)

Maybe raises their corresponding element by one...which is nothing... in order to break that you would need to deal masssssiiiiiveee damage by basically forcing a multiplier with either Expo or Fear...but by the time you do this the battle ends because their "defense level" increases and you a forced to focus another Chosen....usually I just give up after the 15th day, because nothing happens and you are just trying to buy talents that lets you fight a little longer.

Progression seems to be exponential, meaning that in the first 1-2 hour or so you are just farming up EE to buy stuff that maybe allows you later to exploit the Chosen ones or break them.

Shouldn't the progression be a lot smoother? This feels like that the first actual break you will be able to do is...at like turn 30-36?
Before that nothing really happens it seems.

Summoning a Commander is a complete waste of resources too, even though the talent tree forces you in that direction. Waste 2 EE to...make something go up by lvl 1...even though that doesn't do anything? huh?

As far as I understood- > Overall the gameplay loop is:
Challange Chosen - > Attack Chosen- > Surround Chosen - > Attack secondary weakness of Chosen - > Nothing happens - > Attack another Chosen -> Surround Chosen 2 - > Attack secondary weakness of Chose 2 - > Try to do some multiplication - > Battle Ends - > Collect EE to farm talents - > Repeat.

Reactions: satoriandy

number361

Dec 2, 2018
Example round here attached. Am I doing something wrong? Like after the initial Surround...what am I supposed to do? Waste rounds? The Defense is waaaay up for anything to happen. You gotta wait for the other Chosen to show up.

Huh...Anyway, if anybody got any advices to clarify this game for me I would be more than happy.

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I want to like this game, and I love the concept, but the gameplay seems to elude me. Maybe I'm overcomplicating it, but if so that's because the game has a myriad of game mechanics to keep track of. But then there are some posts in here that are just like "lolno, just do this, then that, then this, GG you win." And of course it just doesn't work for me because it needs to be way more detailed, including commander types and upgrades.

My experience with the game is basically turtling for 17 days, then finally managing to break a milestone that I thought would advance the game, and then being told the number I need to reach is at least 5 times higher, to start making any progress. It's a game that is based around snowballing, which makes it very unapproachable and beginner-unfriendly.

Reactions: satoriandy

Jan 10, 2018
I've tried this game two times now and it still escapes me. The "tip" section is actually not a tip section, just a pure "game rules you need to remember to actually play anything". walloftextcricitcalyhitsplayer for 9999 damage.

It seems each Chosen is weak to something. You challenge them, hit their weakness. You can surround her afterwards. After this you can choose a secondary type of attack...which barely does anything at all even if you target their weakness (is the ----- part even shows their weakness? sometimes I hit for 50, sometimes for 100...)

Maybe raises their corresponding element by one...which is nothing... in order to break that you would need to deal masssssiiiiiveee damage by basically forcing a multiplier with either Expo or Fear...but by the time you do this the battle ends because their "defense level" increases and you a forced to focus another Chosen....usually I just give up after the 15th day, because nothing happens and you are just trying to buy talents that lets you fight a little longer.

Progression seems to be exponential, meaning that in the first 1-2 hour or so you are just farming up EE to buy stuff that maybe allows you later to exploit the Chosen ones or break them.

Shouldn't the progression be a lot smoother? This feels like that the first actual break you will be able to do is...at like turn 30-36?
Before that nothing really happens it seems.

Summoning a Commander is a complete waste of resources too, even though the talent tree forces you in that direction. Waste 2 EE to...make something go up by lvl 1...even though that doesn't do anything? huh?

As far as I understood- > Overall the gameplay loop is:
Challange Chosen - > Attack Chosen- > Surround Chosen - > Attack secondary weakness of Chosen - > Nothing happens - > Attack another Chosen -> Surround Chosen 2 - > Attack secondary weakness of Chose 2 - > Try to do some multiplication - > Battle Ends - > Collect EE to farm talents - > Repeat.
Generally speaking, I tend to get my first breaks around Day 10; usually, I spend the days before that just making sure that each of the Chosen are generating EE at all, by ensuring they have a few hundred Trauma to burn off.

I don't generally consider Commanders useful at their earliest unlock, but they've very much worth it when you can deploy them for four rounds or so. If you use Pummel and Grind for two rounds, that's enough to get a decent multiplier on all but the most resilient Chosen, at which point you can snowball from there, and it creates enough Openings to get a good six rounds or so on your next Surround when they break free. For best results, though, you're also going to want a second Capture; the first to capture the team's Exposure Girl to add a x4 multiplier to your real target, and the second to target your actual target. This also ensures that you won't have any problems in exploiting your Fear openings.

That said, you are correct about the game having a bit of an exponential curve; it's difficult to do anything at the start, but once they start falling, they start falling hard.

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, I want to like this game, and I love the concept, but the gameplay seems to elude me. Maybe I'm overcomplicating it, but if so that's because the game has a myriad of game mechanics to keep track of. But then there are some posts in here that are just like "lolno, just do this, then that, then this, GG you win." And of course it just doesn't work for me because it needs to be way more detailed, including commander types and upgrades.
I don't really want to get too detailed, because I don't want to sound like my way is the only way and because it leaves much of the game's content untouched, but...

First, to lay out my personal approach, you need to get Hate and Injury high before you do anything else. Without those multipliers, you're simply not going to get worthwhile Circumstance damage, which is necessary for everything else. It's also key to get someone's Exposure high, as the penalty from Trauma tends to inhibit Circumstance growth otherwise. Pleasure is where the real Trauma growth comes in to play, but you don't want to start it too soon, or Trauma will slow Circumstance growth to a crawl; depending on what stage of the game you're in, somewhere around 1k to 10k is a good range to start Caressing. If in doubt, wait - Pleasure will grow extremely rapidly if Hate and Injury are sufficiently developed.

Accordingly, I would advise using the basic commander until you're dealing with their final set of Vulnerabilities, purely because it can target three types of Circumstance damage right off the bat. It's true you'll be a level or two of Circumstance damage lower than you otherwise would be, but I think the additional flexibility is worth it. The only other one I would really consider is Hunger/Anger, or Hunger/Mania once Detonate comes in to play. Open with Pummel and Grind (start with whichever they're weakest to), then start Humiliate or Caress, depending on whether you targeting Exposure Girl or the Target. At the start, you should begin Humiliate or Caress once Hate and Injury are at level 1, but once you expand your Capture duration, you should hold off until they're at level 2 - or even wait until the followup capture, since they'll have plenty of rounds worth of Openings to exploit.

As far as upgrades go, I would beeline the first two duration upgrades, and the first extra capture; this means picking up all the 1EE upgrades, as well as Patience, Weakness Sense, and the +20% Trauma tech. From there, everything else you need should be visible on the tree; I'm working from memory, so my apologies if I missed one. I say this because you're going to need to start cracking Vulnerabilities to earn EE, - it's necessary both for the direct rewards, and in driving them to more sinful resting actions to increase your long-term income. You can break their minor vulnerabilities without a decent commander, but it's much easier with one.

Once you have those, I'd recommend picking up the next set of techs that extend your extermination meter and evacuation progress; this is generally better than picking up a third capture, especially considering the EE cost of the third capture at that point in the game, but it depends on the Chosen team. Some chosen are just plain too annoying to leave free, like ones with a strong Distract ability. Either way, from there, focus on the rest of the techs that let you fight longer - it's basic, but it works. There are a few fun techs that you should pick up, like the one that lets you immediately start an attack after surrounding, but you can probably use your own judgment there.

Do you have any questions? I'm a bit tired at the moment, so I'm not sure that was all as clear as I intended...

ara1111

Apr 6, 2019
Just follow the basic overview I put in my review; the game is very simple and gives the illusion of being complex, and the tools it gives you are so overpowered (especially commanders) that you can simply bludgeon all difficulty away regardless of anything. Even the newest added mechanics are just mindless grind masqerading as anything more.
You just get a chick grabbable, grab her, then anything you do to the rest suddenly does more. Trying to take out chicks 1 at a time without commanders is a waste of time, doing it when they're in a group quickly snowballs into instantly downing them for 11+ turns. It becomes a game of your patience clicking through meaningless stat checks more than anything else.

Jan 10, 2018
Just follow the basic overview I put in my review; the game is very simple and gives the illusion of being complex, and the tools it gives you are so overpowered (especially commanders) that you can simply bludgeon all difficulty away regardless of anything. Even the newest added mechanics are just mindless grind masqerading as anything more.
You just get a chick grabbable, grab her, then anything you do to the rest suddenly does more. Trying to take out chicks 1 at a time without commanders is a waste of time, doing it when they're in a group quickly snowballs into instantly downing them for 11+ turns. It becomes a game of your patience clicking through meaningless stat checks more than anything else.
...I don't mean to be rude, but that's honestly not very good advice. How you do these things matter, if you want to have any hope of ruining the interview on Day 15 or vacation on Day 30 - to say nothing of whether you want to see the friendship scenes or rivalry scenes. It's also really inefficient - the higher tier commanders are more specialized, not inherently better, and deploying them without consideration for the circumstances will end up with an expensive waste. Deploying a commander is only worthwhile if it breaks a Vulnerability; failing to do so is simply throwing away your EE.

Not to mention that "anything you do to the rest suddenly does more" is simply wrong. That's true if you raise her Exposure level - but only the highest value applies, and doing any sort of other damage to her has no effect on the others at all.

And while I understand that these things are a matter of taste, I also didn't think your review was terribly fair; I wouldn't bring it up but for the fact that your mentioned it here. It doesn't seem like you had a good understanding of the game's mechanics or intent - you complain about how matches ended "arbitrarily", for instance, despite the fact that you are explicitly not trying to defeat them, but rather corrupt them into betraying their ideals. It says right in the opening that killing them would be meaningless, after all.

Relatedly, you never mentioned any of the corruption content at all, just how repetitive the scenes in each round were - but that's not really the point, compared to the various Breaks, how it changes their profile, how their actions grow steadily more destructive and perverse, and how it changes their relationship to those around them. The fights themselves are almost meaningless compared to how the girls can end up giving a concert to your thralls if you play your cards right.

Reactions: Seamonkey

ara1111

Apr 6, 2019
I beat the game 100% within a day or two of first downloading it, my advice is evidently fine. Outside of maybe these day 15/30 scenes I didn't know exist. His question was how to play the game, not how to speedrun it for missable scenes.
Commander 'cost effectiveness' literally doesn't matter very quickly, they more than pay for themselves.
Exposure thing is true although pretty much a moot point once your commander gets beyond a certain point. Like most things in this game. Commander is absurdly overpowered.

You right on arbitary though, that's the wrong word, but I don't know a better word to describe the way fights work in this.

Relatedly, you never mentioned any of the corruption content at all, just how repetitive the scenes in each round were - but that's not really the point, compared to the various Breaks, how it changes their profile, how their actions grow steadily more destructive and perverse, and how it changes their relationship to those around them. The fights themselves are almost meaningless compared to how the girls can end up giving a concert to your thralls if you play your cards right.
The corruption is the entire point of this game, it is simply a given when I am talking about the scenes I already have this in mind. And the scenes resulting from corruption? Very lacking in variation. And most rounds, they don't even do any of the longer ones, maybe because they can only do those once or something. So 99% of the time, the fights play out the same. The girls share most of their mvoes and actions, and really just do X or Y depending on corruption. And the end of fights work out 99% of the time the same.
Because, as I said in my review, this game doesn't have enough writing for how repetitive it is.

Reactions: quiboune

Jan 10, 2018
I beat the game 100% within a day or two of first downloading it, my advice is evidently fine. Outside of maybe these day 15/30 scenes I didn't know exist. His question was how to play the game, not how to speedrun it for missable scenes.
Commander 'cost effectiveness' literally doesn't matter very quickly, they more than pay for themselves.
Exposure thing is true although pretty much a moot point once your commander gets beyond a certain point. Like most things in this game. Commander is absurdly overpowered.

You right on arbitary though, that's the wrong word, but I don't know a better word to describe the way fights work in this.
Again, I don't mean to be rude, but... The Day 15/30 scenes aren't missable at all - they happen regardless of what you do, with the way the scene plays out depending on the specific ways you've corrupted them. The interview, for instance, can either be a normal, hopeful affair - or you can lead them into saying things like "It doesn't matter if we win or lose, just that we tried!" when asked about how the war will go, or completely shrugging off having murdered someone's husband.

And as for "how to play the game", quite frankly the game is literally impossible to "lose" - I'm not talking about speedrunning, just that advice should take into account the fact the game has more to do with how quickly you do something rather than whether you can do something.

And lastly, Commanders do not pay for themselves. If you spam the Lust commander, you're not going to going to break Vulnerabilities with it, meaning Chosen will never move on to sufficiently sinful actions to produce more than 6 EE a day - leaving you in a never-ending cycle of buying the same commander again, and never getting anywhere with it. If you spam the Anger commander, trying to build enough Trauma to get them to use Detonate (let alone anything else) becomes an experiment in tedium, and you again significantly limit your daily EE gain.

"Just spam Commanders" doesn't work unless you're either lucky, or interested in spending a lot of time waiting around to unlock things. The game is about breaking Vulernabilities, and what commanders you use should revolve around how to accomplish that; using a Defiler to break someone's Core Vulnerability makes sense, though I think there's cheaper ways. Using Lust rarely does.

The corruption is the entire point of this game, it is simply a given when I am talking about the scenes I already have this in mind. And the scenes resulting from corruption? Very lacking in variation. And most rounds, they don't even do any of the longer ones, maybe because they can only do those once or something. So 99% of the time, the fights play out the same. The girls share most of their mvoes and actions, and really just do X or Y depending on corruption. And the end of fights work out 99% of the time the same.
Because, as I said in my review, this game doesn't have enough writing for how repetitive it is.
But my point is that you're focusing on something that is, in my opinion, secondary to the core appeal. It'd be like if I spent the majority of a review complaining about how tedious the waitress side job in Karryn's Prison is - that might well be something that ruined my experience with the game, but it doesn't really tell anyone about whether the game fulfilled its core promises.

It's true that I tend to tune out an action once I've seen a few different variations of it, but each in-game day I'm still seeing new things every day - whether it's from the Chosen indulging in a new sin after battle, a new relationship scene, or in breaking a new Vulnerability. And on each new playthrough, these things take on a different feel when they're done by a confident or cowardly Chosen, or one who's smart or one who's headstrong. The game is absolutely filled with variations, and I don't believe that your review reflected that properly at all.

You'll start tuning out most of the fights, true - or at least I did. But it's very easy to mentally skip to the new stuff, so long as you're progressing at a brisk pace through the game.

CSdev

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2020
quit button from the customize screen appears to be broken in the newest build. Doesn't return me to the main menu screen, just outputs a separator and leaves me on the same screen. :3 Great game, by the way, one of my new favourites.
Thanks for reporting this bug. It'll be fixed in the next release.
Ah, you shouldn't take me too seriously when I say that; it's a pretty frivolous complaint on my part, since it's not really the way the game is supposed to be played.

Though the latest update seems to have pretty much addressed the issue already, now that I've finished a couple of games; the way you have to let the Chosen act to finish their corruption removes much of the incentive to completely shut them down, which moves things along more briskly. Even stalling at the end as you alternate surrounding each Chosen is more interesting, since it matters what moves everyone's using.

The best change here, though, is the way that it transitions from stacking Trauma to encouraging the Chosen to internalize their corruption - now it doesn't feel like a waste to simply not act at the end of a fight, because at that point, what matters is what they do rather than what you do.

Oh, but while you're reading this... As a quality-of-life feature, would it be possible to include a smaller text size? I play this on a laptop, and the default text size cuts off the top of several scenes. It's not really a big deal, but it would be a nice option.

I don't see it mentioned in the changelog, but it seems like a "mini"-tier was added to all the Core Vulnerabilities that rewards you for progress, but doesn't actually break a tier.

You'll see actual changes once you do the actual break on their vulnerability.
I appreciate the feedback, but I think I'm still going to put in the ability to get energy from ending the battle early (if only because it's going to replace an upgrade, Augmented Thralls, which has been really lackluster in my experience).

Regarding the text size, I'm going to put in a couple of extra size options next release that will hopefully accommodate bigger and smaller screens.
When you're looking at your Commander description screen it shows "[X] Flight", right?

Edit: CSdev I checked in the game and it's bugged. It does say "Even against a flying target" even if you don't have the upgrade.
To answer the question, you have to buy the upgrade that allows your commanders to grab flying targets and then give one of your commanders that ability.
I just checked and you're correct. It only affects that one screen's display, though - the game still correctly tracks whether or not you've unlocked and added that commander upgrade.
Example round here attached. Am I doing something wrong? Like after the initial Surround...what am I supposed to do? Waste rounds? The Defense is waaaay up for anything to happen. You gotta wait for the other Chosen to show up.

Huh...Anyway, if anybody got any advices to clarify this game for me I would be more than happy.
05841035411 gave some good general advice, but I figure I can offer specific advice about that battle as well. I noticed that after that initial Surround, you had a few turns where you couldn't do anything useful, and then by the time you spent your Capture, it was too late in the battle to turn things around. I'd try starting with (1) Slime (2) Surround (3) Pummel (4) Capture (5) Grind (6) Caress (7) either Pummel or Humiliate. The goal here is to make it so that she has at least 5 damage levels between FEAR, DISG, and PAIN so that you can grab her for a long time after doing a quick Slime/Attack -> Surround combo on one of her allies. It looks like you might be able to manage it before extermination is complete, which would let you then grab her again afterward.
Hold on a moment. As was pointed out, you always see the scenes on day 15 and day 30 no matter what. How exactly did you beat the game before day 15?

3.80 star(s) 52 Votes