Barovaro

Jun 5, 2017
No, double actions are the ones that come up in purple with + after the name and add the second Chosen to the existing run of the first to get that action in progress. You don't need a specific commander, but there are upgrades needed if I remember correctly.
Sorted it, the issue was that I did that goal at the last turn the previous time. So the game never recognized it - the objective completed once I pulled it off again and opened the menu for one of the affected Chosen.

The resulting damage far exceeded my expectations so I'll try and pull it off again - the EE I got this run was incredible so I can proceed with some more upgrading. Sadly Tyrant and Reaper did not see eye to eye on using thralls to get off, so now they are rivals, but I'll try and rectify that.

Reactions: alex2011 and Kalloi

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019
Ah, regarding damage that is indeed what I am encountering: that it is harder to break multiple T2 vulnerabilities in 1 run because hitting the 10k required is harder once I broke some of the adjacent vulnerabilities. But that is quite alright.

Right now, I am definitely on a pathway to make them as friendly with eachother as possible. Frankly speaking, making them help eachother earlier lines up with a tactic to try and get exposure up for higher modifiers. Conversely, if they wouldn't show up, stuff like rally is less of an issue. The problem here is that without a commander, them showing up earlier is a pain, while with a commander I can start the chain of surrounds quite nicely before they start flying off.

(i.e at the moment I can chain a 5-turn capture into a 5-turn capture, a 7 turn surround on the main target, slightly damage the third so I can surround for the fear bonus, then do a 11/12 turn surround on the main target with a 7-turn on the secondary chosen (to try and double up). I can flip the secondary chosen to go first, which will deal a devastating amount of damage to the main target instead, but that spreads the damage very poorly I would think. )

I'll keep the late-game stuff in mind as I go and get a full picture of all capabilities.

As an aside, should I focus on the goals at all? Right now it wants me to a double defiler action, which I swore I did with a broadcast action on 2 characters. I'll see if I can do it again, but I hope I don't need one of the specific commanders for it, as those are hugely expensive (and it is far stronger for me at the moment to use normal commander, but we'll see how that goes).

Going the friendly route is a good idea, if you manage to get a "Unbreakable Friendship" relationship early, you can make the rest of the relationship events between those two negative without a problem since they're
now locked in to a friendly relationship. And making use of EXPO is a good tactic so keep that up :D

The only time I wouldn't recommend using a commander is when you are trying to conserve EE for a particular upgrade or deploying a forsaken at later stages of the game. So I would keep using them when you're trying to accomplish something. A good thing to note is after breaking T2's you're at the portion of the loop where its more important to build up angst and unresolved trauma to unlock T3 actions, if your current strategies aren't producing those kinds of results it might be good to try something new even your current strategies can do good damage.

I would say continue following the goals as completing them gives some extra knowledge that will help subsequent playthroughs. It goes as far as training getting your first forsaken ready for proper use so I highly recommend with the only caveat being if the conditions directly interfere with your plans of winning this loop. double defilers actions are the best way to unlock T3 actions with their additional multiplier, the ones that involve EXPO are especially effective. And if possible I would try to get all three chosen involved to make an orgy happen, even three turns of that will grant enough trauma to guarantee a T3 break.

Sorted it, the issue was that I did that goal at the last turn the previous time. So the game never recognized it - the objective completed once I pulled it off again and opened the menu for one of the affected Chosen.

The resulting damage far exceeded my expectations so I'll try and pull it off again - the EE I got this run was incredible so I can proceed with some more upgrading. Sadly Tyrant and Reaper did not see eye to eye on using thralls to get off, so now they are rivals, but I'll try and rectify that.
Glad it worked out! Some of my advice is not really helpful now but glad you see the benefits of the group defilers! If you haven't already gotten it, I highly recommend picking up Networked Consciousness with that influx of EE, it will certainly help in making group defiler actions

Barovaro

Jun 5, 2017
Going the friendly route is a good idea, if you manage to get a "Unbreakable Friendship" relationship early, you can make the rest of the relationship events between those two negative without a problem since they're
now locked in to a friendly relationship. And making use of EXPO is a good tactic so keep that up :D

The only time I wouldn't recommend using a commander is when you are trying to conserve EE for a particular upgrade or deploying a forsaken at later stages of the game. So I would keep using them when you're trying to accomplish something. A good thing to note is after breaking T2's you're at the portion of the loop where its more important to build up angst and unresolved trauma to unlock T3 actions, if your current strategies aren't producing those kinds of results it might be good to try something new even your current strategies can do good damage.

I would say continue following the goals as completing them gives some extra knowledge that will help subsequent playthroughs. It goes as far as training getting your first forsaken ready for proper use so I highly recommend with the only caveat being if the conditions directly interfere with your plans of winning this loop. double defilers actions are the best way to unlock T3 actions with their additional multiplier, the ones that involve EXPO are especially effective. And if possible I would try to get all three chosen involved to make an orgy happen, even three turns of that will grant enough trauma to guarantee a T3 break.

Glad it worked out! Some of my advice is not really helpful now but glad you see the benefits of the group defilers! If you haven't already gotten it, I highly recommend picking up Networked Consciousness with that influx of EE, it will certainly help in making group defiler actions
Ah, well, in just 2 days I went from completing the double goal, and then subsequently using the extended capture 1 turn time to immediately hit 100m+ disg angst when I was simply trying to force an orgasm.

If it's not clear, I reset quite a lot when I make a move that clearly did not pan out. I think I have a shot at getting all 3, but that will depend on how much EE you can get later.

Reactions: Kalloi

Qazex Saw

Feb 6, 2018
Doing my first rampancy distortion and uh, a question:
How do you do high tier breaks on rampancy chosen?
She just keeps on going on a rampage then resolving all her trauma because she seems to take much more hate damage compared to injury even if I try to avoid it the best I can.

Edger

May 30, 2017
Random question that I have are distortion Forsaken much better than totally broken Forsaken?

zargal

Aug 5, 2018
She just keeps on going on a rampage then resolving all her trauma because she seems to take much more hate damage compared to injury even if I try to avoid it the best I can.
Yeah rampancy's probably the hardest distortion to manage. Either go back a save (if you have one) and grab the needed traumas before the distortion happens or you may need to "waste" a round or two specifically focusing on getting dignity up. For specifics, I'd have to see the save of course, though others may have better advice. It's been a while since I've gone rampancy.

Random question that I have are distortion Forsaken much better than totally broken Forsaken?
Generally, yes.
Specifically, normal and superior distorted forsaken get bonus damage, unique abilities and low brokeness in 2 areas. Undead and animalistic undistorted forsaken get a flat damage bonus so the difference isn't so stark.
A basic idea for the uses for the distortions:
Temptation-Get disgrace to 80 (->4EE cost) and train their damage as Inj/Exp and you've got a super cheap soldier who can switch damage types.
Aversion and Negotiated- The best part is their low disgrace, which, while inflating their cost, makes them the strongest choice as punishers.
Rampancy- The wildcards. I'm waiting for a broken psychometer (limits deployment cost to 100EE) then using one of these as a midgame bruiser.
NB animal and undead forsaken are different but I haven't really played around with them yet.
Depending on vuln distribution, I tend to do one temptation and one aversion or negotiation in the first round. 3 distortions is very possible, just trickier to pull off.

Fully broken forsaken can still be useful- as trainer or simply as fodder for the grand concert (restores stamina and motivation to others). There's always the breeding pits too- don't sacrifice unless you're actually going to hit the achievement however.
Comp info
Sounds great, thanks for organizing. I'm on my way to cycle 4 so your worst case scenario shouldn't eventuate.

• Red Heart

Qazex Saw

Feb 6, 2018
Yeah rampancy's probably the hardest distortion to manage. Either go back a save (if you have one) and grab the needed traumas before the distortion happens or you may need to "waste" a round or two specifically focusing on getting dignity up. For specifics, I'd have to see the save of course, though others may have better advice. It's been a while since I've gone rampancy.
After several attempts and many a save revert, finally managed to get something that works.
Basically I just need to setup an orgy with expo without raising hate at all and you more or less get enough of a 'buffer' in inj to stop rampage, while the orgy gives all the trauma you need for breaks.

Side note, it looks like an orgy actually gives enough trauma that rampancy can't actually remove all trauma(seems like rampancy trauma reduction is -10g on the highest, then -1g on the rest), so as long as you can regularly hit the rampancy chosen with long enough orgies before they go on a rampage it looks like you can counteract the trauma loss?
That said, not sure if it helps since triggering an orgy without touching hate at all already takes a good amount of effort, and trying to trigger rampancy after that is even harder(especially with t3 break chosen throwing out special abilities left and right.)

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
You need to make sure that their INJU remains high. A big help is to add them last to an Orgy that begins with a Force Orgasm+. While this does raise all 4 circumstances, it will have the lowest natural increase on HATE. If this is not available to you because of other things you are doing, try a Sodomize+.

If you've noticed, the numbers from both Circumstances and Traumas get lower as you go down from the selected action (and then loop back around from SHAM/EXPO to FEAR/HATE). For instance, a Pummel deals the most natural damage out of its circumstances to PAIN, followed by SHAM, then FEAR, and will deal the least damage to DISG. Actions that raise multiple Circumstances at once follow the same pattern.

Probably, but it's not guaranteed. Think of each Forsaken as something you build with a goal in mind. If you've got an end goal of, say, a cheap Forsaken that focuses on HATE damage, a Rampancy distortion starts with a bonus there that a chosen with all 4 t4 breaks wouldn't have. If you break T4 EXPO, her natural cost will be somewhat in the reasonable range so that you can send her out fairly cheaply and still expect damage. Her high Hostility will be a challenge that you need to mitigate somehow or learn to deal with later in each loop when she's not being sent out as much, but there are ways to do that--send her out anyways, or have other Forsaken you don't care about that you either use Grand Concert on or Sacrifice once in a while. The primary thing is to keep their future, if they have one, in mind.

Generally, yes.

NB animal and undead forsaken are different but I haven't really played around with them yet.
Depending on vuln distribution, I tend to do one temptation and one aversion or negotiation in the first round. 3 distortions is very possible, just trickier to pull off.
I like to do two of the same type of Distortion for the first two loops. This makes the related achievement unlock immediately in that loop,, and since the achievement generally makes those Distortions happen faster, it means I get through those loops quicker. It's also a bit easier. In Loop 3, breaking the Superior Chosen counts twice, so you can get that Achievement as well--I think I would prefer Rampancy for my first Superior Chosen. Also, this leaves one Forsaken whose resistances all get quite low--so she's easy to start fights with as you Distort the other two.

I've not done much with Animalistic Chosen, since R38 had a game-breaking bug with them. Undead, though, are great. In my furthest save so far (abandoned in Loop 11), I had an Undead Demon Knight (Rampant) that was useful essentially the whole loop until it was time for the Punisher Forsaken to come out, and even then she still had one of the good Punishers (which would get better as you had more EE to feed her). Undead can also have their cost reduced to 2EE and be every bit as strong as an 8EE Forsaken, so you can be well set up to start using them Day 1 or 2 with a few Sacrifice bonuses.

Fully broken forsaken can still be useful- as trainer or simply as fodder for the grand concert (restores stamina and motivation to others). There's always the breeding pits too- don't sacrifice unless you're actually going to hit the achievement however.
There's lots of good reasons to Sacrifice. Grand Concert uses up a day and Sacrifice keeps your list small enough that you don't need notes to know what every Forsaken does or go hunting to find the one you want. I don't think anyone wants to be scrolling through 30 Forsaken on Loop 10.

Sounds great, thanks for organizing. I'm on my way to cycle 4 so your worst case scenario shouldn't eventuate.
So the Challenge is simple. . . how long can you survive against the chosen, fellow Demon Lord? From now until the release of R40 I want everyone here to start a campaign mode run and get as far as you possibly can. Upload your save here and the top 3 who has made it the farthest wins! The rules are as follows

-No cheats (Obviously) Its just a fun celebration/competition so lets just play nice okay? :D

-Only one custom chosen allowed (Must be given a unique name) This might be hardest to police but same with the no cheating rule lets just have keep things fair and have fun! You can give the one custom chosen any personality you desire, whether its to have guaranteed access to certain punisher abilities, create an advantage in the first loop, or just an assistant to take along the ride, do what you want!

-Keep a save of each loop you complete, doesn't matter where in the loop it is, just make sure to have one. This is for authentication purposes, and its always cool to see the progression each loop.

Other than that, do what you want! No matter how you play all the matters is how long you continue your conquest as a demon lord. And remember, even if you upload a save making to loop 10 tomorrow and no one uploads anything better, that won't stop someone sniping the win on March 30th with a loop 11 save so never rest on your laurels! Alternatively, if someone uploads a save where they went as far as loop 3 and no one uploads anything else they'll get the win. It would be a bit sad if that were the case but I'm not putting a gun to your head and forcing you to compete. . . yet :)
Kalloi
So, I was already trying to do basically this with the release of R39, and my run meets these requirements except for the following 2. I really don't want to start over, so let me know if I can have an exception for these:

1) I *think* I started a few hours before you announced this, when I saw that 39g had been released. I wanted a fresh set of saves because these save files just keep growing, and they slow down the performance of the game (it's Java, so this is quite noticeable). I know I've got multiple saves each loop, but they aren't well-sorted--I'll try to keep some of them labelled as "beforeloopn" (on the new city page) and "loopntraining" for after the final battle because these are two points I always keep a save file for.

2) I actually used only one custom Forsaken, but I didn't give her a unique name until I converted her. I used: Prayer, renamed to Ritual after conversion. I like to rename all my Forsaken, or at least those that aren't destined for the pits. They come to me as one thing--I make them something else.

Let me know if that's OK. If not, I'll still post my save with this disclaimer at the top, whenever I get around to a high enough number.

Suggestions/Questions for CSdev, long-term:
1) Have you considered making a folder of save files instead of of making it all one file, for easier management and performance reasons? I think the saves.sav saves a lot more information than is actually needed, and the game parses this entire file constantly in a way that's very noticeable if you are somewhat of a saveaholic and your saves.sav gets very large, which is the way you suggest as the intended way of playing the game. I suspect it may be storing a lot more information than is needed for a complete game state as well. Adding a new save (on loop 3) added about 80KB to the file, which seems kind of like a lot of information to me (that's roughly 20 pages of text, information-wise). In R38, my saves.sav was 18MB and when an action required parsing the save file (not just saving and loading, it seems to be pulling some gameplay information from this as well) it would take several seconds (3-5) for the virtual machine to respond to certain inputs, and these actions were not just saving/loading. That's the JVM for you.

I know optimization of already-working systems is every programmer's nightmare, but now that there is a working gameplay loop that rewards lots of saves to try doing different things you may want to make this process a bit easier.

2) I find the bait/relationship system kind of hard to use. The benefits of using it seem to be rather small with a large downside. It's a system that primarily affects the flavor of interactions, but it's tied to gameplay mechanics that give it significant penalties. Making a Chosen easier to train is something you can do on your own within the system, and 1-3 extra turns of Capture varies in usefulness between "OK" and "actively bad" at times. But the penalties are much more severe than the rewards.

Let me explain: If I set up a chosen as Bait, I have no way to tell if the Chosen that she starts related to will be in any way "useful" as Forsaken. I don't want to keep a bunch of pages of Forsaken I never use for anything. But if the Bait Forsaken starts with a relationship with one of the Chosen that I don't see a future for, I've now got permanent penalties to training the Bait Forsaken, or a Forsaken in my list that I can't use for anything. A penalty to accepting training seems really difficult to overcome, since the primary way you fix it is... with training... that she won't accept.

For this reason, I find myself not using the Bait position at all. For similar reasons, I rarely try to make a group of Chosen become friends, because usually I'm going to get a replacement for one of them down the line, and I don't want to have to check and remember who is friendly with whom. I'm also generally going to get one Chosen that isn't worth making a Forsaken out of every loop, and while I can let them die in the final battle, I'd rather Sacrifice and get some benefit that way, which has consequences if they're all best friends.

From reading the help files, the penalty for Sacrificing a loved one is up to -50 to training consent, and the bonus for having a loved one Forsaken is up to +20. I think it would make sense for this bonus/penalty to fade, and I'd find it a lot more usable if it did. The bonus to training is mainly useful the first loop or two after you get a Forsaken, and if I wasn't afraid of long-term penalties on my more useful Forsaken, I'd engage more with this system of the game knowing that I wouldn't permanently mess up my Forsaken that I want to keep. Maybe--could the penalty/bonus fade by half every loop? I may be misunderstanding how this system actually works in-game, but it would make sense mechanically and, I think, put the penalties/bonuses more in line with each other. Just a thought as I examine how I play the game for this challenge.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019
hahaha its only one day and we're already past the darkest timeline :cool:

Jokes aside, thank you for particpating!! I hope your campaign goes well Demon Lord! :D

Kalloi

Let me know if that's OK. If not, I'll still post my save with this disclaimer at the top, whenever I get around to a high enough number.
No worries! I believe both of these are acceptable so you can use your current save in the competition :D
It does bring a good point for the custom chosen part, I might edit the rule slightly so renaming the custom chosen
afterwards will make the save still eligible.

Good luck with the competition and thanks for participating fellow Demon Lord! :D

2) I find the bait/relationship system kind of hard to use. The benefits of using it seem to be rather small with a large downside. It's a system that primarily affects the flavor of interactions, but it's tied to gameplay mechanics that give it significant penalties. Making a Chosen easier to train is something you can do on your own within the system, and 1-3 extra turns of Capture varies in usefulness between "OK" and "actively bad" at times. But the penalties are much more severe than the rewards.
Even though I feel like our playstyles seem to differ a bit (I seldom sacrifice my forsaken and find myself relying on the bait position and friendships often) I do also feel like with the bait system does suffer from some of the issues you mentioned in its current state, using the bait position is a mixed bag with some of the cons being mostly on your current roster of forsaken. I definitely agree with some of your points, especially when the chosen that's paired with your bait forsaken isn't particularly useful. As of now, there isn't any way to manipulate relationships between forsaken once they're apart of your roster. If there was one (even a simple, temporary one would be fine) I know my issues with the system would be resolved since I now have a way of dealing with related chosen that aren't useful or their potential role is already filled.

CSDev and I have talked about the relationship system and I suggested some possible ways of expanding it. While I don't know how viable my ideas were in actual practice or what CSDev will actually implement in the game but on the relationship part, I can at least say that CSDev is definitely working on expanding the forsaken relationship system which may hopefully make the bait position more appealing to you. Until then, I think the decaying penalty/bonus is a good idea. Even if it's just a temporary one until CSDev can implement the forsaken relationship functions they want to. And if its a permanent, maybe there could also be way to finalize the relationship bonuses/penalties between the two forsaken through some sort of action that spends a day or have some sort of cost. Since I do enjoy the training bonuses for Tempted forsaken and Aversion forsaken that I want to maintain low deviancy

Kaitol

Jul 29, 2017
Maybe the option to give one related forsaken to the other permanently, instead of sending her to the breeding pits and pissing her friend/whatever off. Gives a small random bonus to damage, stamina or etc. Occasionally mention them in their daily activity possibly. A small once per loop bonus to one forsaken if her relative sucks doesn't seem like it'd be too much.

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
CSdev, there is a problem in 39g.

Sometimes, for reasons I've not been able to ascertain, Forsaken are forgetting who their punisher was for T4 breaks. This means that they don't get all the bonuses from those Punishers. It may have something to do with them being Chosen in the same loop that someone suffers a Rampancy Break, as that's the only thing I did differently this loop.

Here's my evidence:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Since I've been keeping my save file size down this time to maintain playability, I don't have a convenient place to test this. I do have saves just before Loop 3, "nowloop3" , on the day of choosing Loop 3, during which I chose the city that had a Superior Forsaken. I have a comparative save after Loop 3 where I am quite certain I used Ritual to complete about 2/3 of the T4 breaks, "loop3training". I am absolutely certain she did both of the T3 breaks on Berserker/Cheer, and she did a significant number of breaks (3 or 4) on Bonecrusher/Paladin (most notably the INJU/Drain T4 CON break, which seems to be reflected in her low Obedience score of 22%, despite having a T4 Obedience break)

However, other bonuses are missing. For example, the thing that made me notice this was that Berserker/Cheer did not have greater than 100% Motivation, and Ritual should be giving her +38.5% from her Impregnation. This is pretty significant in terms of my long-term plans for doing a deep dive into how many loops I can get.

So, I don't really have the time to go in and repeat all these steps and see if things turn out differently or if this problem repeats itself, at least not for a few days. What I remember doing this loop that might be relevant is:

Sorry for the lack of step by step. The saves.sav is attached.

Edit to add: I think this may have happened to one of my earlier Forsaken from Loop 2 as well. That's a less challenging Loop to test this in so I'm going to go with that and see if I can confirm. I'll keep saves every 10 days.

View attachment saves.sav

Last edited:

CSdev

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2020
Found a typo during this event, caught me by surprise haha

to attract more donors, he's overnjoyed. Pretty sure it's meant to be "overjoyed" x3

Coincidentally, this one event touches the subject i was referring to some posts ago. I am dead certain that the very organization the chosen are in have their own agenda in this conflict. The way they treat the chosen is a dead giveaway, but i would not put past this organization for wanting to experiment and harness the power the chosen wield. The more i take a look at these events, the more i wish this had a strategic element to territory capture. In one hand, we have the Demon Lord's faction, our faction. In the other, we have this interesting organization that the chosen are serving under. I wish we could have more choice in expressing how the demon lord rules.

What i mean is, well, ever played Overlord? In that game you have a similar situation. You get to decide how your Overlord rules, will you kill everybody and seek cruelty and destruction? Or will you take a more merciful approach to your conquering? Even if it's a flavor text in the form of a description about how your subjects perceive you, how you treat the cities you conquer, etc. I mean, we are playing as a Demon Lord leading the demon faction in this little game of political intrigue, aren't we? :3

That particular event showed up just after i triggered the negotiation distortion, and it didn't surprise me since i was expecting the chosen to be treated this way by their own faction.

I can't wait to see what CSDev has in store for this particular aspect from the game, the game world is very interesting.
Thanks for the typo report. As for the story speculation, well, I don't want to spoil anything, but more plot-relevant scenes will be coming.
A shame i can't start a campaign with chosen from different species joining in on the first loop. I get that balance-wise they're a more powerful version, so you would need to be strong enough to go against them but still....erhm : /

Not really a big deal, just annoying that in campaign (my favorite game mode) i have to do multiple loops to get a animalistic chosen to pop up, and i imagine that androids are going to be the same...gonna be a pain to get a team of favorite characters from series set up :p
This is a good point. I imagine that a lot of players have a particular "interaction" in mind as a goal when they create custom Chosen, but for the later species, it can take several nights of playtime before you reach the loop where they can start to show up. And that's just for individual Chosen - once it's possible to tell the game that you want two specific Chosen to show up together, it could take even longer to reach a loop with both species.

I suppose it might be time to prioritize the multi-loop scenario system so that players can make "mini campaigns" where they can still enjoy the cross-loop game of corrupting the Chosen in order to turn them into useful Forsaken, but without the need to play more than 2 or 3 loops before reaching the desired interaction they had in mind.
Suggestions/Questions for CSdev, long-term:
1) Have you considered making a folder of save files instead of of making it all one file, for easier management and performance reasons? I think the saves.sav saves a lot more information than is actually needed, and the game parses this entire file constantly in a way that's very noticeable if you are somewhat of a saveaholic and your saves.sav gets very large, which is the way you suggest as the intended way of playing the game. I suspect it may be storing a lot more information than is needed for a complete game state as well. Adding a new save (on loop 3) added about 80KB to the file, which seems kind of like a lot of information to me (that's roughly 20 pages of text, information-wise). In R38, my saves.sav was 18MB and when an action required parsing the save file (not just saving and loading, it seems to be pulling some gameplay information from this as well) it would take several seconds (3-5) for the virtual machine to respond to certain inputs, and these actions were not just saving/loading. That's the JVM for you.

I know optimization of already-working systems is every programmer's nightmare, but now that there is a working gameplay loop that rewards lots of saves to try doing different things you may want to make this process a bit easier.

Let me explain: If I set up a chosen as Bait, I have no way to tell if the Chosen that she starts related to will be in any way "useful" as Forsaken. I don't want to keep a bunch of pages of Forsaken I never use for anything. But if the Bait Forsaken starts with a relationship with one of the Chosen that I don't see a future for, I've now got permanent penalties to training the Bait Forsaken, or a Forsaken in my list that I can't use for anything. A penalty to accepting training seems really difficult to overcome, since the primary way you fix it is... with training... that she won't accept.

For this reason, I find myself not using the Bait position at all. For similar reasons, I rarely try to make a group of Chosen become friends, because usually I'm going to get a replacement for one of them down the line, and I don't want to have to check and remember who is friendly with whom. I'm also generally going to get one Chosen that isn't worth making a Forsaken out of every loop, and while I can let them die in the final battle, I'd rather Sacrifice and get some benefit that way, which has consequences if they're all best friends.

From reading the help files, the penalty for Sacrificing a loved one is up to -50 to training consent, and the bonus for having a loved one Forsaken is up to +20. I think it would make sense for this bonus/penalty to fade, and I'd find it a lot more usable if it did. The bonus to training is mainly useful the first loop or two after you get a Forsaken, and if I wasn't afraid of long-term penalties on my more useful Forsaken, I'd engage more with this system of the game knowing that I wouldn't permanently mess up my Forsaken that I want to keep. Maybe--could the penalty/bonus fade by half every loop? I may be misunderstanding how this system actually works in-game, but it would make sense mechanically and, I think, put the penalties/bonuses more in line with each other. Just a thought as I examine how I play the game for this challenge.
The existing save system is definitely very inefficient. I think it will significantly improve with the relationship system refactor I'm doing right now, however. Up through R39, Chosen and Forsaken keep track of each other with arrays which basically store a copy of the entire relationship partner. Originally, I did this in order to make it simpler to directly refer to the partner, but it's really not sustainable for large numbers of lategame saves. R40 instead uses a very simple hashmap which associates each character's Chosen ID with a list of all applicable relationships. For the sake of save compatibility and bug safety, the old arrays will stick around on old saves, but new saves going forward should be much smaller.

The existing bait system is meant to be a bit tricky to use effectively, because it plays into some features that will unlock in later loops. Angel and Devil species (which will start showing up as early as Loop 11) will give you some other "sacrifice" options that clear out the Forsaken roster clutter but with a better gameplay tradeoff.
CSdev, there is a problem in 39g.

Sometimes, for reasons I've not been able to ascertain, Forsaken are forgetting who their punisher was for T4 breaks. This means that they don't get all the bonuses from those Punishers. It may have something to do with them being Chosen in the same loop that someone suffers a Rampancy Break, as that's the only thing I did differently this loop.

Here's my evidence:

Since I've been keeping my save file size down this time to maintain playability, I don't have a convenient place to test this. I do have saves just before Loop 3, "nowloop3" , on the day of choosing Loop 3, during which I chose the city that had a Superior Forsaken. I have a comparative save after Loop 3 where I am quite certain I used Ritual to complete about 2/3 of the T4 breaks, "loop3training". I am absolutely certain she did both of the T3 breaks on Berserker/Cheer, and she did a significant number of breaks (3 or 4) on Bonecrusher/Paladin (most notably the INJU/Drain T4 CON break, which seems to be reflected in her low Obedience score of 22%, despite having a T4 Obedience break)

However, other bonuses are missing. For example, the thing that made me notice this was that Berserker/Cheer did not have greater than 100% Motivation, and Ritual should be giving her +38.5% from her Impregnation. This is pretty significant in terms of my long-term plans for doing a deep dive into how many loops I can get.

So, I don't really have the time to go in and repeat all these steps and see if things turn out differently or if this problem repeats itself, at least not for a few days. What I remember doing this loop that might be relevant is:

Sorry for the lack of step by step. The saves.sav is attached.

Edit to add: I think this may have happened to one of my earlier Forsaken from Loop 2 as well. That's a less challenging Loop to test this in so I'm going to go with that and see if I can confirm. I'll keep saves every 10 days.

View attachment 2445007
Thank you very much for uploading the save, it allowed me to very quickly narrow down what was happening and put up another bugfix release for it. Fortunately, the Punisher information was indeed being stored correctly - it just wasn't being referenced when it should. I've confirmed that playing your save on R39h causes your Forsaken to immediately start getting the correct bonuses again.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Shasou and Kalloi

Cornuthaum

Jun 18, 2022
I've put about thirty hours into this game since saturday since numbers-go-up makes my endorphins go whee, and I like to think I've got a good handle on the basic gameplay of loop 1 right now, having done all Distorts individually and in batches of three to see how they play (rampancy is easily my least favourite because it has nothing you can interact with, rip)

But the Forsaken system just *completely* breaks me. I cannot even begin to understand it since a.) the conditions you go into the system with drastically change on both the Chosen's virtues *and* their end-of-loop gamestate, including distortions, b.) the extra layer of sliding-scale stats and costs to keep track of, and c.) it takes several hours of repeating the really, really boring part of the game (loop 1)

Is there a handhold for "try to get (x) setup of forsaken ready for loop 2, and how to use them" assuming that I will reliably get all three Forsaken in the first loop? Just so I can actually refine my core loop play to build up Forsaken that can deal with the increasingly harsh punishment of later loops? Because no matter how much I stare at the reference file for Forsaken, my brain is too smooth, the information slides right off, it is just too much.

Ragsmu

May 22, 2018
I've put about thirty hours into this game since saturday since numbers-go-up makes my endorphins go whee, and I like to think I've got a good handle on the basic gameplay of loop 1 right now, having done all Distorts individually and in batches of three to see how they play (rampancy is easily my least favourite because it has nothing you can interact with, rip)

But the Forsaken system just *completely* breaks me. I cannot even begin to understand it since a.) the conditions you go into the system with drastically change on both the Chosen's virtues *and* their end-of-loop gamestate, including distortions, b.) the extra layer of sliding-scale stats and costs to keep track of, and c.) it takes several hours of repeating the really, really boring part of the game (loop 1)

Is there a handhold for "try to get (x) setup of forsaken ready for loop 2, and how to use them" assuming that I will reliably get all three Forsaken in the first loop? Just so I can actually refine my core loop play to build up Forsaken that can deal with the increasingly harsh punishment of later loops? Because no matter how much I stare at the reference file for Forsaken, my brain is too smooth, the information slides right off, it is just too much.

i asked about that some time ago. go up from my post for a good explanation on forsaken. not sure if it'll be enough for you - but for me it was understandable enough.

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
Less serious crash report to report this time. Turning off portraits fixes the issue, so I'm sure that helps you narrow it down.

In this save: "duringloop4", doing a Negotiation with Moppet crashes the game if portraits are on. Turning them off allows the game to proceed.

DMoney1000

Jan 6, 2020
Okay, there's a non-zero chance that I'm just very dumb, but I'm not understanding much of anything at all. The guide has also mostly just confused me, but I don't mind playing more to try to figure things out. I have some questions, though.

1. Are you supposed to run the .exe or the .jar ? Does it even matter? Both seem to work?

2. How do you save, or where do the saves go? I go to save my game, it asks me to name the save, and when I click on load...there isn't a save anywhere, at least not where the game (or I) can find it. It asks which slot to load, but there's just nothing there.

3. Is Observe bugged? Now that I have 2 Chosen, when I click on one to Observe the other, both of them become the 2nd Chosen, both in portrait and how they interact with each other. When there are 3 Chosen, they both become copies of the 3rd Chosen, regardless of who I Observe. This happened with both R39 and R39g.

EDIT: New weird Observe behavior. I reinstalled, and now when I have 3 Chosen, having the 1st Chosen observing the 2nd, or having the 2nd observe the 1st, results in the 3rd Chosen replacing the 2nd.

Last edited:

Eski

Jun 25, 2018
Confused on how to see the newest vignette, "Guilty Desire". I think I've satisfied all the conditions. If curious, you can see my attached save. It's the slot on day 29 named "exter_rush". The Chosen I'm trying to trigger the vignette with is Freedom. She has already experienced "Guilty Service" and she's ready for negotiation if I so wish. How I interpret the checklist txt file is that I approach her, don't negotiate and leave.

Has anyone been able to trigger this vignette?

Last edited:

CSdev

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2020
Less serious crash report to report this time. Turning off portraits fixes the issue, so I'm sure that helps you narrow it down.

In this save: "duringloop4", doing a Negotiation with Moppet crashes the game if portraits are on. Turning them off allows the game to proceed.
I wasn't able to reproduce this one, even with portraits turned on. The scene proceeded normally and it return to the shop screen at the end with no issues.
1. Are you supposed to run the .exe or the .jar ? Does it even matter? Both seem to work?
The .exe is included because it will work even for people who don't have Java installed.
2. How do you save, or where do the saves go? I go to save my game, it asks me to name the save, and when I click on load...there isn't a save anywhere, at least not where the game (or I) can find it. It asks which slot to load, but there's just nothing there.
Some other people have run into this as well. My best guess is that it's related to your antivirus program preventing an unrecognized game from creating the saves.sav file that stores your save data. I'd recommend downloading one of the save files uploaded here, putting it in your Corrupted Saviors folder, and seeing if it loads properly.
3. Is Observe bugged? Now that I have 2 Chosen, when I click on one to Observe the other, both of them become the 2nd Chosen, both in portrait and how they interact with each other. When there are 3 Chosen, they both become copies of the 3rd Chosen, regardless of who I Observe. This happened with both R39 and R39g.

EDIT: New weird Observe behavior. I reinstalled, and now when I have 3 Chosen, having the 1st Chosen observing the 2nd, or having the 2nd observe the 1st, results in the 3rd Chosen replacing the 2nd.
I wasn't able to reproduce this bug either. Normally, I'd ask you to upload your save file so I can take a look, but I suppose the save issue would have to be solved first.
Confused on how to see the newest vignette, "Guilty Desire". I think I've satisfied all the conditions. If curious, you can see my attached save. It's the slot on day 29 named "exter_rush". The Chosen I'm trying to trigger the vignette with is Freedom. She has already experienced "Guilty Service" and she's ready for negotiation if I so wish. How I interpret the checklist txt file is that I approach her, don't negotiate and leave.

Has anyone been able to trigger this vignette?
I probably should have worded the requirement better. Guilty Desire will only display when the subject hasn't ever undergone a Negotiation yet. So, after her first Negotiation, the vignette can no longer show up.

• Red Heart
3.80 star(s) 53 Votes