McHuman

Nov 8, 2019
Thanks for the feedback. This is definitely a tricky development question, because the original appeal of the game was in the customizable "generic" Chosen, and I don't want to pull the rug out from under people who want more of that. There's only so much development time in each month.
Oh yeah I definitely understand that, hence why I mentioned "as long as it doesn't negatively effect development". Obviously the priority of development should be on the main appeal of the game, but I don't think anyone would complain if you work on things like boss scenes in the background when there is free development time.

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
An update on this: I actually found the Angel/Devil combo to be much less difficult than expected. The reason is that there's a major antisynergy in their ANGST-related abilities. Devils get much stronger when both allies have a lot of ANGST. But Angels try to interfere with your EE generation by absorbing ANGST and unresolved trauma from allies. If a Devil's two allies have 2G ANGST each, then they each have a +30 damage bonus and the Devil gets a -120 incoming damage penalty. But if a Devil has one ally with 4G ANGST and one with 0 ANGST, then that one ally has a +31 damage bonus and the other has +0, which means that the Devil gets only a -62 incoming damage penalty. This makes it much easier to pile damage on the Devil and ensure that she doesn't castigate her allies too hard.

I'd be curious as to the experiences of other players who have fought Angels and Devils together, but as things stand, I think I might have to make Judgment a bit more powerful than I had originally planned.
I hadn't considered that at all. I was looking at trying some of those loops this playthrough with the idea that I could get the Despair Achievement high enough to break through.

Well, I didn't want to assume the player's motivations, so there's no specific flavor about the Demon Lord "deliberately" letting Chosen escape. But it's a legitimate strategy to take your moves from the Saturday morning cartoon villain's playbook. If only one heroine remains at the end of the fight, she can try to escape, and she'll keep any Distortions you put on her when she returns to fight you again.
They only escape when they have no Tier 4 breaks, right? I haven't looked at the code for this, but I know if they have a T4 CON break, they kill themselves (and can come back as Undead? Or is that only when they're killed by another Chosen? Not sure) and if they have a T4 MOR break, they're imprisoned by the military (presumably gone for the game?) I've never actually let one that only had T4 INN or T4 DIG survive so I'm not sure what happens there.

The boss fights are actually 5, 10, 15, etc., so they don't line up with Reign's appearances until Loop 35. But if it helps your speculation, I can tell you that Loop 35 is also planned as the end of campaign mode.

Thanks for the feedback. This is definitely a tricky development question, because the original appeal of the game was in the customizable "generic" Chosen, and I don't want to pull the rug out from under people who want more of that. There's only so much development time in each month.
I'm in favor of "Boss" chosen being more static as well as I think it opens up more interesting possibilities. If their personalities and appearances are set, the other Chosen can talk about them in a consistent manner. Currently, the bosses just refer to each other, but each hard fact about them gives even standard Chosen/Forsaken the chance to have attitudes about them (based on their own personality traits). "Faith" can look down on Splendor's tactics while "Mayhem" wishes she could let herself go like that. "Calamity" can be downright contemptuous of Victory's waste of effort to protect everyone else while "Shield" is openly jealous of her superior combat abilities. In the same way that now they have attitudes about certain parts of their own body, they can have attitudes about the physical attributes of the Boss Chosen.

deviantartaaa

Sep 21, 2019
Unicorn Lard is a starting item that lets you skip a day for extra EE based on the number of items you own, and also guarantees that a new Chosen will show up in the next fight, effectively solving both issues at once :)
Yeah but then you are missing out on other starting items to get, during the first runs, what? 1 EE? You can get more by retreating with 5 capture time...

deviantartaaa

Sep 21, 2019
I mean even if you skip the day you can still do some damage. Especially if you have items for example. But yah you’re not wrong, but I feel thematically it makes sense. The heroes would kinda suck if you could corrupt them in a matter of a week.
Maybe some repeatable things that give bonus EE? Like how you can trigger distortions multiple times to get the bonus EE, have some early versions of that?
Make it so you have days where you make no vulnerability progress, but instead make big EE profit?

McHuman

Nov 8, 2019
Maybe some repeatable things that give bonus EE? Like how you can trigger distortions multiple times to get the bonus EE, have some early versions of that?
Make it so you have days where you make no vulnerability progress, but instead make big EE profit?
I mean, if there was something like that then the early loops would become absurdly long as all that extra EE would make it easy for even newer players to be ready for the final battle 15-20 days early if not more.

deviantartaaa

Sep 21, 2019
I mean, if there was something like that then the early loops would become absurdly long as all that extra EE would make it easy for even newer players to be ready for the final battle 15-20 days early if not more.
You can lower other EE sources a bit to balance it out maybe?

McHuman

Nov 8, 2019
You can lower other EE sources a bit to balance it out maybe?
That defeats the purpose of your proposal then, as you'd just be balancing things out to the same rate of growth, meaning those downtime days don't go by any faster. If anything the only thing it does is completely ruin the balance of the later loops which are so short that there aren't any downtime days. So not only would your change require rebalancing EE generation, it would also rebalancing the difficulty scaling of the campaign so that the later loops don't become impossible from a lack of EE generation.

No matter which direction you take this it'd require rebalancing the difficulty scaling of the campaign in some way all for the sake of making new players feel like they're making progress at points in the game where they are making progress just subtly. Anyone who feels like they're not making progress can check this thread, we have posted plenty of guides explaining what kind of progress you should be making making at each section of loop 1, and that the sections where you aren't breaking vulnerabilities is because you want to be focusing on reaching the trauma thresholds for higher EE generation and grabbing upgrades to reach the power spike to start breaking again.

Nobody032

Sep 6, 2021
Yeah but then you are missing out on other starting items to get, during the first runs, what? 1 EE? You can get more by retreating with 5 capture time...
I think we are talking early game here so no retreat energy and that's still only +1 energy. Getting an early chosen means you end up getting more energy than normal. Also you can speed up things quite a lot by just skipping days once you get enough trauma since you get a bonus +1 energy each day. Other than that the energy you get increases with the number of items you have. With 3 items owned you get +2 energy each day skipped.

Though I agree there are better items to get (Tomorrow's newspaper). Speaking of tomorrow's newspaper that can speed things up too actually since you don't need to buy commander upgrades. Just get the 2 energy non commander upgrades and save for commander . Also if you get 3 items you can buy all 2 energy commander upgrades for free. Picking Tomorrow's newspaper is kinda like a easy game mode honestly you don't even have to buy upgrades after getting Reality sealing.

Either way I don't think early game really needs that much change. Once you get to higher loop sometimes you have to attack each day to keep trauma high enough to get energy. Also you will have access to undead chosen eventually which should Speed up the early game. I have done like a day 3 temptation with my undead forsaken.

Nobody032

Sep 6, 2021
Does the lower energy cost punisher work on Rampage forsaken?

Also to the people who have actually used Devil forsaken, do you think they are balanced/good?

Like 5% bonus from temptation doesn't seem that appealing and it's just a matter of doing a little training and setting the obedience plan. Even then they would lost obedience every other day so it's even worse than I initially thought especially since <40% obedience means -10% motivation everyday. I feel like devil should mostly be combat focused since you know the whole -10% motivation for everyone thing. The angel trait is WAY better.

The Rampage trait seems underpowered too. 50% only? Angels get 200% bonus on their Aversion path and their Rampage trait just seems WAY better. If I ever get two angels in one run one is getting tempted and the other is getting Rampage.

Meglomaniac trait seem okay, though I usually never allow my forsaken to tantrum (Unless Splendor does her thing)so seems kinda pointless. Would be so much nicer if it increased motivation for everyone instead of decreasing it as a trait, on deployment. Now compare this to Angel trait which gives other forsaken way more damage than your tempted devils could ever give. And you can just spare the usurped angel for double the spare bonus.

The negotiation trait seems really good for devils, free deployment and more damage for bringing stamina to 0. Though 25% damage from commaders seems okay to as a trait of angels.

As for aversion trait for devils, it seems way too niche but I would give it a pass since it may be helpful for future species/bosses which I think are gonna have way lower punisher progress. The Angel one is way too good though, 200% to all damage.

Though I don't really trust myself with opinions on forsaken. I will run my tempted undead forsakens till they become completely unviable.

Last edited:

Sonsuka

Aug 29, 2017

Sorry if unclear.
I was talking about generic chosen not customizing the boss chosen. Meant that once the boss updates are done I see more customizing the generic chosen being more valuable than scenes as it allows for more replayability and then doing more individual events

unremark

Jul 8, 2018
Any tips on best way to make this dark silver more useful? would just not training at all be best to keep their stats low?

thejays

Jan 9, 2022
What the hell is the cheat code for version 54! I am losing my mind trying to find it!
I would like to sincerely apologize for my being a dumbass. The "cheat code" is going into options and pressing "c". I truly apologize for wasting your time

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
CSdev Very small bug (or maybe just a misstatement of the warp objective?)

Loop 11's Alternative route, if you beat Splendor first (from campaign map.txt)
campaign map.txt said:
After defeating Splendor, Devil Chosen are unlocked, and the loop skip condition is related to the Devil Chosen
The Devil Chosen must end a day with an ally ANGST damage modifier at or beyond -120, before having 100M of any type of unresolved Trauma
But, the alternative route doesn't actually unlock until you start the next day with combat, which is mechanically the same (you can't do Trauma damage anywhere from the Upgrades screen so there's no way to lock yourself out of it), but caused me to be a bit frantic trying to discover why I wasn't meeting the warp condition, since the text didn't appear.

This can be corrected by either changing the campaign map.txt file to correctly state "The Devil Chosen must end start a day with an ally ANGST damage modifier at or beyond -120, before having 100M of any type of unresolved Trauma"

OR

you can move the check for this condition to just after the Downtime action. Obviously changing the text file would be easier.

saves.sav for verification of first bug:

---------------------------------------

Just ran into something else, please let me know if you need the step-by-step to reproduce it. I didn't get the +100 EE from first time Tempt. Note in this group of attached save files, the Devil Hunger has been tempted exactly once (bringing her next Tempt requirement to 35k) but there are far too few upgrades purchased or EE lost to Undead to account for the missing +100EE. This one's attached as "missingee"--I remember seeing the tempted notification, I thought I saw the +100EE message as well. If I had to hazard a guess it might have something to do with the radio show scripted event happening during that same downtime (though it might relate to the Castigation ability too, but that shouldn't matter since it was the Devil that was Tempted).

Last edited:

Rivlen

Apr 7, 2020
Does anyone else have the problem that the game crashes when you try and deploy a rampage forsaken? I even tried redownloading the game and starting another run, but I get a rampage forsaken, try and deploy, and game just freezes and doesn't start again.

Otherwise game's been a lot of fun

Correction, I'm not sure if it crashes, since the text generates for the next section, but the buttons remain on the forsaken screen and I can't select anything

Last edited:

Omicronzeta

Nov 14, 2017
Does anyone else have the problem that the game crashes when you try and deploy a rampage forsaken? I even tried redownloading the game and starting another run, but I get a rampage forsaken, try and deploy, and game just freezes and doesn't start again.

Correction, I'm not sure if it crashes, since the text generates for the next section, but the buttons remain on the forsaken screen and I can't select anything
When you say redownload did you get it from f95 or from the author's website? I ask mostly as the f95 link is out of date, the most recent version is release 55b

PetrusSanctus

Aug 5, 2019
I wonder if Sentai-like heroines will be implemented (yes i am aware they are magical girls but we did have wizard rangers & kamen riders before) + a way to to put a gender to your commanders, like futanari stallion demon or even your avatar on the battlefield.

Sonsuka

Aug 29, 2017
I wonder if Sentai-like heroines will be implemented (yes i am aware they are magical girls but we did have wizard rangers & kamen riders before) + a way to to put a gender to your commanders, like futanari stallion demon or even your avatar on the battlefield.
Usually commander are just commanders. You could customize demon lord when you meet them. But otherwise not really. You don't actually meet them on the battlefield more of a commander than a fighter.

Sonsuka

Aug 29, 2017

Best drop a save for us to see. Never had that happen before.

3.80 star(s) 55 Votes