bASKOU

Jan 29, 2019
cliffhangers aren't a bad thing perse its great for raising anticipation for the next update,i do agree that its unnerving having to wait a few months to find out what happens next though
All depend where the cliffhanger is. IMO a cliffhanger at the end of a chapter is bad. When cliffhangers happen at the end of every chapters the flow of the story is set in stone. So you can resume a chapter by what happen at the beggining and the end as they are the most story relevant parts of the chapter.

Cosy is superior to many other devs in that updates always end at day transition, never at a cliffhanger and there's hardly any filler (possibly excluding a couple of scenes that might be significant much later). Even lewd scenes feel impactful as character development.
I do agree, like the way chapters are served here a bit like arcs of a story. You look for the next update because you want to see what happen next, how the story will grow. Like the way Cosy implemented the swimming pool and maid coffee events introductions. You know good things will come and want to see it, but it's not the only thing I am waiting for and are just side events. I alm also highly anticipating the next meeting with the headmistress as I am sure it'll go deeper into the story of the MC with the founding families. There is Sara and... Too many things I want to know.

bASKOU

Jan 29, 2019
Well, that's the only place a cliffhanger can honestly happen, so....:unsure:
Not really, it can happen anywhere with a transition to another place/actions/people/in time. A cliffhanger doesn't need to happen at the end of a chapter.

Just as an exemple : at the start of a chapter Sara says she'll be absent from school for the next day. When she leaves we see a car rushing where she's at when she cross the road then the story shift to the MC at school. And we only know later on what really happend.

That is a narative cliffhanger, and it doesn't need to be at the end of a chapter, and there is many more ways to make cliffhangers in a story/chapter. Cliffhangers are it's true mostly used at the end of chapters and stories. But it's used too widely, too often and only in the same way. It really became boring in most VN as the only way they find to keep people hyped for the next chapter are cliffhangers. A series of hints/clues without follow up until later, can also be a cliffhanger.

Reactions: jaq847

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
Not really, it can happen anywhere with a transition to another place/actions/people/in time. A cliffhanger doesn't need to happen at the end of a chapter.

Just as an exemple : at the start of a chapter Sara says she'll be absent from school for the next day. When she leaves we see a car rushing where she's at when she cross the road then the story shift to the MC at school. And we only know later on what really happend.

That is a narative cliffhanger, and it doesn't need to be at the end of a chapter, and there is many more ways to make cliffhangers in a story/chapter. Cliffhangers are it's true mostly used at the end of chapters and stories. But it's used too widely, too often and only in the same way. It really became boring in most VN as the only way they find to keep people hyped for the next chapter are cliffhangers. A series of hints/clues without follow up until later, can also be a cliffhanger.
A true cliffhanger doesn't resolve with near immediacy - you have to have some months of anticipation. If television, maybe a mini-cliffhanger that resolves the following week, but not right after the commercial break.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Elhemeer

toyohew900

Dec 12, 2020
A true cliffhanger doesn't resolve with near immediacy - you have to have some months of anticipation. If television, maybe a mini-cliffhanger that resolves the following week, but not right after the commercial break.
I dunno, man. The permanent, unresolved conflict between an analytical and constructivist view grounded in individual events and a holistic view concerned with story-worlds and storytelling leaves mostly unattended such fundamental questions as how narrative is used by literature and literature by narrative for their own ends.

All I care about is hanging from Lucy's cliffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Elhemeer

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
I dunno, man. The permanent, unresolved conflict between an analytical and constructivist view grounded in individual events and a holistic view concerned with story-worlds and storytelling leaves mostly unattended such fundamental questions as how narrative is used by literature and literature by narrative for their own ends.
With all of that bullshit speak, you must have an MBA AND be a Six Sigma Blackbelt. :LOL:

4.70 star(s) 119 Votes