StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
Having difficulty launching the game in Linux Mint Mate 20.2 64-bit. kernel 5.4.0-81-generic x86_64

- - -> This is a clean NEW install of Linux <- - - Perhaps I need to install something else? I've already installed the Unity Game Hub and four or five different RPGM Runtime files for the various RPGM game types. I play a few RPG Maker Games and they all seem to work -- except this one. That by no means infers I can play all types, just that the ones I like I can play.

Machine is an HP Z600 Workstation
Memory = 11.7 Gig
- - (12 Gig, but remainder reserved for system. Ram Checks out using BIOS & Linux RAM Test features)
- - Three Channel Interleave ECC Error Correcting RAM. Modules are 2Gig Sticks x 6.
Dual Intel Xenon CPU E5620 @ 2.4 GHz x 16
- - (Dual 4 Core Procs. with Hyper-threading for an effective 16 Cores)
NVIDIA Quadro based PNY NVS 300/PCIe/SSE2 Graphics with 512 MB GDDR3
2.6 TB available disk space.

Permissions of the programme file "Game" are set to 777. _RWXRWXRWX
File IS executable.
When run in terminal, returns the following:

:#Code Start:

"User Name & Machine Name Deleted":~/Downloads/Games/CiC 0.21 Linux$ ./Game
[4139985:0821/164412:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(170)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[4139985:0821/164414:INFO:CONSOLE(27682)] ""\n %c %c %c PixiJS 4.5.4 - \u2730 WebGL \u2730 %c %c %c %c \u2665%c\u2665%c\u2665 \n\n" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff66a5; background: #030307; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ffc3dc; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;"", source: file:///home/GUESSWHO/Downloads/Games/CiC%200.21%20Linux/www/js/libs/pixi.js (27682)

#
# Fatal error in , line 0
# Failed to create ICU number format, are ICU data files missing?
#

==== C stack trace ===============================

1: ??
2: v8::internal::NumberFormat::InitializeNumberFormat(v8::internal::Isolate*, v8::internal::Handle<v8::internal::String>, v8::internal::Handle<v8::internal::JSObject>, v8::internal::Handle<v8::internal::JSObject>)
3: v8::internal::Runtime_CreateNumberFormat(int, v8::internal::Object**, v8::internal::Isolate*)
4: ??
"User Name & Machine Name Deleted":~/Downloads/Games/CiC 0.21 Linux$

:#Code End.

Simply running the programme "Game" in the game folder from the GUI has the file closing without an error message.
Running the Windows version in wine doesn't work either. That returns the following error:

:# Code Start:

Game has encountered a bug. Please report it.

TypeError: Cannot read property 'blendModes' of undefined

at Function.Graphics._createRenderer (KhasAdvancedLighting.js:397:28)
at Function.Graphics._createAllElements (rpg_core.js:2339:10)
at Function.Graphics.initialize (rpg_core.js:1769:10)
at Function.SceneManager.initGraphics (rpg_managers.js:1822:14)
at Function.SceneManager.initialize [as khas_core_initialize] (rpg_managers.js:1811:10)
at Function.SceneManager.initialize (KhasCore.js:126:10)
at Function.SceneManager.run (rpg_managers.js:1802:14)
at Function.SceneManager.run (YEP_CoreEngine.js:1371:32)
at window.onload (main.js:8:18)
at window.onload (SRD_GameUpgrade.js:1096:19)

Press F5 to restart the game.

:# Code End:

F5 does NOT attempt to restart the game.

I can run Index.html from the WWW directory in either version without problem, but I miss out on the character configuration.
I cannot seem to get a save file to work though. When saving the HTML version of the game in Firefox, I wind up not being able to continue. Firefox saves the files somewhere else. Where is beyond me.
Then, once I've recreated my character and gone through all the folderol of starting the game, I can load the ruddy files, but I can't load my OLD files from previous versions.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Trying to look into this and not really finding anything at the moment, I'll keep looking but for now I was wondering if you know if you've played any other RPG Maker MV games specifically, or if the other games you played that worked were for a different type of RPG Maker (such as RPG Maker vxace). One way to tell is if you've played anything with a resolution higher than 640 x 480, as that would generally mean the game was MV.

playerme

Jun 3, 2018
Trying to look into this and not really finding anything at the moment, I'll keep looking but for now I was wondering if you know if you've played any other RPG Maker MV games specifically, or if the other games you played that worked were for a different type of RPG Maker (such as RPG Maker vxace). One way to tell is if you've played anything with a resolution higher than 640 x 480, as that would generally mean the game was MV.
In the past, sure. However, I'm not sure on this build. In the past, I was using a doze 7 machine as well. As for what I've played on Linux, It's so long since I've used Linux, I'd have to say, I just don't know. I can't abide the new doze 10 and with the death of my other machine, well, it looks like Linux from here on out. I live in the sticks and I'm on a metered connection, which happens to be the fastest broadband available to me in these parts, so I can't use file sharing and that's a mainstay of doze10 updates. Then there's the whole privacy issue. doze 10 is Big Brother in PC form. Better to run Linux. Besides, if I wanted to use my phone on my desktop, I could plug it in using the USB connector. I want a full computer, not a micro pc I can hardly see, or a telephone that can't call out. Sorry for the rant.

I'll have to look for the titles on the site here, and see if I've any others and whether or not I'm running into the same difficulties. I never seem to have a typical system. I mean, this rig has dual quad processors, treble interleaving with ECC RAM and an NVIDIA Quadro GPU, none of which are typical for gaming of any sort. It really is a video machine, not a gamer. I just don't know. I'll have to do a search and see.

Right, I searched for RPGM Games and found a few titles I was familiar with. I just started "Another Night" in Wine. It is definitely an RPG MV Game if we're using windowed mode being larger than 640 x 480 res. Another criteria is the mouse. MV games allow the use of the mouse. AN definitely uses the mouse. It launches fine in Wine and is playable. How playable remains to be seen, but the game started fine and I can hit the options screen without difficulty. It even uses the green box with the head popping out of it like a jack-in-the-box. as the icon

The other oddity with CiC was saving and continuing when in HTML mode.

I can play the game in html format by running index.html, but being forced to start the game from scratch and naming my character every time I start it, then blasting past the intro screens until I can get to the save menu is a hassle.

Can anyone tell me where to find the ruddy save files so I can import my old saves? They are NOT in Cic\www\save There is no save folder in www when playing the html5 version of the game.

I don't know the difference in your code and AN's, but I will say, when I run AN in html5, I can continue rather than having to start a new game every time, even if the html5 version does not use the an\www\save directory. As for WHERE it is, I really don't know.

Another MV game that works fine is Icarue's Orchard U Remastered, built in MV. They went on to do part 2 of OU R called New OU, but in a more advanced form of RPGM, could it be something like RPG MZ? I can't get my graphics to initialise in that new version, but the OU R one works fine. The first part of OU R is definitely in MV.

Thanks for looking into it for me.

Last edited:

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
In the past, sure. However, I'm not sure on this build. In the past, I was using a doze 7 machine as well. As for what I've played on Linux, It's so long since I've used Linux, I'd have to say, I just don't know. I can't abide the new doze 10 and with the death of my other machine, well, it looks like Linux from here on out. I live in the sticks and I'm on a metered connection, which happens to be the fastest broadband available to me in these parts, so I can't use file sharing and that's a mainstay of doze10 updates. Then there's the whole privacy issue. doze 10 is Big Brother in PC form. Better to run Linux. Besides, if I wanted to use my phone on my desktop, I could plug it in using the USB connector. I want a full computer, not a micro pc I can hardly see, or a telephone that can't call out. Sorry for the rant.

I'll have to look for the titles on the site here, and see if I've any others and whether or not I'm running into the same difficulties. I never seem to have a typical system. I mean, this rig has dual quad processors, treble interleaving with ECC RAM and an NVIDIA Quadro GPU, none of which are typical for gaming of any sort. It really is a video machine, not a gamer. I just don't know. I'll have to do a search and see.

Right, I searched for RPGM Games and found a few titles I was familiar with. I just started "Another Night" in Wine. It is definitely an RPG MV Game if we're using windowed mode being larger than 640 x 480 res. Another criteria is the mouse. MV games allow the use of the mouse. AN definitely uses the mouse. It launches fine in Wine and is playable. How playable remains to be seen, but the game started fine and I can hit the options screen without difficulty. It even uses the green box with the head popping out of it like a jack-in-the-box. as the icon

The other oddity with CiC was saving and continuing when in HTML mode.

I can play the game in html format by running index.html, but being forced to start the game from scratch and naming my character every time I start it, then blasting past the intro screens until I can get to the save menu is a hassle.

Can anyone tell me where to find the ruddy save files so I can import my old saves? They are NOT in Cic\www\save There is no save folder in www when playing the html5 version of the game.

I don't know the difference in your code and AN's, but I will say, when I run AN in html5, I can continue rather than having to start a new game every time, even if the html5 version does not use the an\www\save directory. As for WHERE it is, I really don't know.

Another MV game that works fine is Icarue's Orchard U Remastered, built in MV. They went on to do part 2 of OU R called New OU, but in a more advanced form of RPGM, could it be something like RPG MZ? I can't get my graphics to initialise in that new version, but the OU R one works fine. The first part of OU R is definitely in MV.

Thanks for looking into it for me.
Ah, you ran the other RPG Maker games through Wine then? I should have mentioned it, but I believe I know the issue with playing the game through Wine. It’s a certain lighting plugin I have, when you run the game through something like Wine there is a graphics card issue, for whatever reason. I plan to remove that plugin somewhat soon, so hopefully then Wine would work. I was more curious if you had managed to run other MV games through the Linux versions. I suppose I don’t know how many games actually release a Linux version though, a lot of them probably just stop at windows.

As for the HTML issue, I’m not sure what’s going on with the saving thing. It could be a permissions issue, but that wouldn’t really explain why the other game you mentioned works fine on your computer. The saves should be saved somewhere in your browser’s local storage, I’d probably need to know what browser you were running the game on to know exactly where they are saved, but I don’t know if that would even help you load the game in the future. To bypass that as lazily as possible, if you apply this data patch to your game, you will start in the middle of Elmgar instead of the actual intro. If you try and play from there, it will massively bug the game, but for your case in particular it will let you load the game without a hassle.

Actually, let's see if disabling the plugin I believe to be causing problems works when you try and run it through Wine now. The link below has that plugin disabled, so please give it a try and let me know if it allows the game to start through Wine when you get the chance. The downside to this is that the hypno hell section of the second dungeon basically operates without lights, so you have no idea when you are walking onto traps or not. If this works for you though, I’ll go in and fix all of the traps to work without the plugin. If you want to use this version in the meantime, there is a debug option to “disable hypno hell traps” that will let you proceed to the boss section of the dungeon.

And yeah, if the New OU game uses something newer than MV, it’s MZ. I don’t believe there is a Linux deployment option for that yet, and I have no idea how running those games through Wine functions.

playerme

Jun 3, 2018
Ah, you ran the other RPG Maker games through Wine then? I should have mentioned it, but I believe I know the issue with playing the game through Wine. It’s a certain lighting plugin I have, when you run the game through something like Wine there is a graphics card issue, for whatever reason. I plan to remove that plugin somewhat soon, so hopefully then Wine would work. I was more curious if you had managed to run other MV games through the Linux versions. I suppose I don’t know how many games actually release a Linux version though, a lot of them probably just stop at windows.
Well, unless I miss my guess, it's Wine or html5 for those, since there didn't seem to be an executable script file.
Your ideas here explain the doze version though. I was hoping to play it natively, hence the terminal output I gave you. When that failed I went to doze.

As for the HTML issue, I’m not sure what’s going on with the saving thing. It could be a permissions issue, but that wouldn’t really explain why the other game you mentioned works fine on your computer. The saves should be saved somewhere in your browser’s local storage, I’d probably need to know what browser you were running the game on to know exactly where they are saved, but I don’t know if that would even help you load the game in the future. To bypass that as lazily as possible, if you apply this data patch to your game, you will start in the middle of Elmgar instead of the actual intro. If you try and play from there, it will massively bug the game, but for your case in particular it will let you load the game without a hassle. Mega
That's just it. They're all running "fine" under Firefox 91.10 64-bit. I say fine, but I haven't really played them for more than a few minutes to try and see if they'd play as well as save. Generally, with RPGM games, if you can get into the game from the options screens, they're playable. They might be subject to the occasional crash, but they play well enough. This just bugs me. If I can save from one, I SHOUD be able to save from all. Right?

Actually, let's see if disabling the plugin I believe to be causing problems works when you try and run it through Wine now. The link below has that plugin disabled, so please give it a try and let me know if it allows the game to start through Wine when you get the chance. The downside to this is that the hypno hell section of the second dungeon basically operates without lights, so you have no idea when you are walking onto traps or not. If this works for you though, I’ll go in and fix all of the traps to work without the plugin. If you want to use this version in the meantime, there is a debug option to “disable hypno hell traps” that will let you proceed to the boss section of the dungeon. Mega
I will definitely give it a go. I usually have issues with stuff like your hypno hell. My fingers don't always want to do what my mind tells them. I'm dyslexic and getting rather old, so I generally disable things like that when I can. Assuming I can get one of the RPGM Save Editors working, I can do it there as well.

And yeah, if the New OU game uses something newer than MV, it’s MZ. I don’t believe there is a Linux deployment option for that yet, and I have no idea how running those games through Wine functions.
Neither do I. I play games and generally break them with cheats once I get too frustrated; I don't design them. Trying to run the game in Wine only gives you a Graphics Init. Failure.

Thanks for the patch and other game to try. I will definitely give both of them a go.

playerme

Jun 3, 2018
As for the HTML issue, I’m not sure what’s going on with the saving thing. To bypass that as lazily as possible, if you apply this data patch to your game, you will start in the middle of Elmgar instead of the actual intro. If you try and play from there, it will massively bug the game, but for your case in particular it will let you load the game without a hassle. Mega
THANKS! It works in html5 beautifully with the patch!

Actually, let's see if disabling the plugin I believe to be causing problems works when you try and run it through Wine now.
Mega
Runs in Wine Beautifully! THANK YOU! Only one issue, no sound. I really don't care. At least I can play it.
Wish I could play the Linux Version, but I'll take what I can get.

By any chance, could that plugin be causing the Linux runtime problems, or am I the only one with this problem?

html5 patch instructions:
Create your character.
Play until you can save the game and SAVE!
Close out the game.
Apply the patch by copying the files in the patch file into the www directory wholesale.
Start the game, press escape and load your save.

Last edited:
Reactions: StickyIckyCiC

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
Runs in Wine Beautifully! THANK YOU! Only one issue, no sound. I really don't care. At least I can play it.
Wish I could play the Linux Version, but I'll take what I can get.

By any chance, could that plugin be causing the Linux runtime problems, or am I the only one with this problem?
That plugin could be the issue, but I've never seen that error reported before that I can remember, so I'm not sure. I could upload the game in Linux with the plugins removed if you'd like, otherwise when I properly disable those plugins it will be available in all versions. Glad to hear it makes the game mostly playable on Wine though.

Edit: I forgot I hadn't requested this thread update the public version, so the two downloads I linked you were for version 0.22. This doesn't really matter, but the patch for the html version might cause issues if applied to a base version 0.21. The Windows download will be just fine though.

Last edited:

Jul 18, 2017
The ICU issue on Linux can be fixed by downloading the latest NWJS runtime and unpacking it over the game installation directory (so that the appropriate files are replaced).

I don't know the cause, but I get this issue with basically every RPGM MV game.

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
The ICU issue on Linux can be fixed by downloading the latest NWJS runtime and unpacking it over the game installation directory (so that the appropriate files are replaced).

I don't know the cause, but I get this issue with basically every RPGM MV game.
Is that downloaded from here? Because if so, I should have already applied that to the Linux version before uploading it, unless I forgot for this version in particular. I usually always do it for Linux because I know it caused issues in the past if I didn't.

Reactions: 02010

playerme

Jun 3, 2018
Is that downloaded from here? Because if so, I should have already applied that to the Linux version before uploading it, unless I forgot for this version in particular. I usually always do it for Linux because I know it caused issues in the past if I didn't.

Don't think you forgot. I downloaded the standard Linux 64-bit version, not the SDK version, unpacked it, then copied everything directly into the game directory, since there seemed to be the appropriate directory structure.

Running the game from the terminal returned this:

================ Begin CODE ================

##Deleted##:~/Downloads/Games/CD Camelot/CiC 0.21 Linux$ ./Game
[2357920:0824/224022:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(170)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[2357920:0824/224028:INFO:CONSOLE(27682)] ""\n %c %c %c PixiJS 4.5.4 - \u2730 WebGL \u2730 %c %c %c %c \u2665%c\u2665%c\u2665 \n\n" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff66a5; background: #030307; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ffc3dc; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;"", source: file:///home/user/Downloads/Games/CD%20Camelot/CiC%200.21%20Linux/www/js/libs/pixi.js (27682)

#
#

2: v8::internal::NumberFormat::InitializeNumberFormat(v8::internal::Isolate*, v8::internal::Handle<v8::internal::String>, v8::internal::Handle<v8::internal::JSObject>, v8::internal::Handle<v8::internal::JSObject>)
3: v8::internal::Runtime_CreateNumberFormat(int, v8::internal::Object**, v8::internal::Isolate*)
##Deleted##:~/Downloads/Games/CD Camelot/CiC 0.21 Linux$

================ End Code ================

Don't bother reworking the file just for me. That's unreasonable. I've a playable game, that's more than I had before. If you remove that plugin for everyone, fine. I'll get that when it's released. THANK YOU.

Besides, HLF is releasing their new version of Magical Camp. I've waited over a year to play the new version. It'll give me a break from all the stuff that has me pulling out my hair ... unless I can't get it to run, of course. LOL. Do yourself a flavour and stick with an O.S. you're familiar and comfortable with. Going with something because it's secure, CHEAP, but has a much smaller user base, but it's CHEAP, can be frustrating until you work out the glitches. At least it keeps my mind active.

As I've said, I'm not new to Linux, but I haven't used it for a good while, since I had other boxen I could use. They've since died and I'm "Back Home" as it were. I do enjoy the FLEXIBILITY, with how one can tailor it to one's tastes, but it CAN be frustrating at times, since the fan base is so much smaller than doze.

You've been pretty regular with your updates, which we've all appreciated, so I've been playing CiC quite regularly. It'll be there waiting for me, like a favourite blouse in my cupboards.

My CRC matched when I Dl'd the game, but that doesn't mean it didn't get messed up in translation somewhere.
I'll try re-downloading the game, running it, re-downloading NW.js copying the files into the new folder if it fails again, then running it yet again -- tomorrow. I need some sleep tonight.

Thank you all for your hard work. You've gone above and beyond.

Last edited:

Jul 18, 2017
Don't think you forgot. I downloaded the standard Linux 64-bit version, not the SDK version, unpacked it, then copied everything directly into the game directory, since there seemed to be the appropriate directory structure.

Running the game from the terminal returned this:

================ Begin CODE ================

##Deleted##:~/Downloads/Games/CD Camelot/CiC 0.21 Linux$ ./Game
[2357920:0824/224022:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(170)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[2357920:0824/224028:INFO:CONSOLE(27682)] ""\n %c %c %c PixiJS 4.5.4 - \u2730 WebGL \u2730 %c %c %c %c \u2665%c\u2665%c\u2665 \n\n" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff66a5; background: #030307; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ffc3dc; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;"", source: file:///home/user/Downloads/Games/CD%20Camelot/CiC%200.21%20Linux/www/js/libs/pixi.js (27682)

#
#

##Deleted##:~/Downloads/Games/CD Camelot/CiC 0.21 Linux$

================ End Code ================

Don't bother reworking the file just for me. That's unreasonable. I've a playable game, that's more than I had before. If you remove that plugin for everyone, fine. I'll get that when it's released. THANK YOU.

Besides, HLF is releasing their new version of Magical Camp. I've waited over a year to play the new version. It'll give me a break from all the stuff that has me pulling out my hair ... unless I can't get it to run, of course. LOL.

You've been pretty regular with your updates, which we've all appreciated, so I've been playing CiC quite regularly.

My CRC matched when I Dl'd the game, but that doesn't mean it didn't get messed up in translation somewhere.
I'll try re-downloading the game, running it, copying the files into the new folder if it fails again, then running it yet again -- tomorrow. I need some sleep tonight.

Thank you all for your hard work. You've gone above and beyond.
Interesting. I see the same behavior now, on the latest version. Try running the `nw` executable, instead of `Game`. That seems to work for me (with no copy-over necessary).

playerme

Jun 3, 2018
Interesting. I see the same behavior now, on the latest version. Try running the `nw` executable, instead of `Game`. That seems to work for me (with no copy-over necessary).
Sure, why not?

Fresh DL of v21 here from Mega.

Game Screen Display =

at Function.SceneManager.initialize [as khas_core_initialize] (rpg_managers.js:1811:10)

F5 does not do a thing.

Terminal Output =

======================== Start Code ========================
user@machine:~/Downloads/Games/CD Camelot/CiC 0.21 Linux$ ./nw
[1985425:1985425:0825/181640.337819:ERROR:gl_context_glx.cc(224)] Couldn't make context current with X drawable.
[1985425:1985425:0825/181640.360971:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(86)] gl::GLContext::MakeCurrent() failed
[1985425:1985425:0825/181640.361010:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(293)] Could not create context for info collection.
[1985425:1985425:0825/181640.361121:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(78)] CollectGraphicsInfo failed.
[1985425:1985425:0825/181640.439042:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(162)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[1985492:1985492:0825/181645.584973:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(3612)] ContextResult::kFatalFailure: fail_if_major_perf_caveat + swiftshader
[1985492:1985492:0825/181645.588383:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(3612)] ContextResult::kFatalFailure: fail_if_major_perf_caveat + swiftshader
[1985442:1985457:0825/181741.721431:ERROR:cert_verify_proc_builtin.cc(601)] No net_fetcher for performing AIA chasing.
[1985442:1985457:0825/181741.726549:ERROR:cert_verify_proc_builtin.cc(601)] No net_fetcher for performing AIA chasing.
user@machine:~/Downloads/Games/CD Camelot/CiC 0.21 Linux$

======================== End Code ========================

It's beginning to look like MY machine does not like that plugin.

Thank you for trying. Honestly.

As I said, this is a VERY non-standard machine.
First, it's dual quad core Xenon processors.
Second, it uses treble interleaving for the RAM.
Third, the RAM is ECC, or Error Correcting.
Fourth, the graphics card is a PNY NVIDIA Quadro.
Fifth, I run Linux Mint, not Ubuntu. More unusual than most.
Sixth, making this thing very nearly unique, I use the Mate desktop, not the more standard Cinnamon desktop for Mint.
Seventh, I'm running the Long Term Support version of Mint Mate, not the standard distribution.

Can you ask for more trouble than this?
The thing was made for doing video rendering, not playing games.

Thank you for all your hard work.

Reactions: Arhiippa Pylkkönen

Jul 18, 2017
Sure, why not?

Fresh DL of v21 here from Mega.

Game Screen Display =

F5 does not do a thing.

Terminal Output =

======================== Start Code ========================
user@machine:~/Downloads/Games/CD Camelot/CiC 0.21 Linux$ ./nw
[1985425:1985425:0825/181640.337819:ERROR:gl_context_glx.cc(224)] Couldn't make context current with X drawable.
[1985425:1985425:0825/181640.360971:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(86)] gl::GLContext::MakeCurrent() failed
[1985425:1985425:0825/181640.361010:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(293)] Could not create context for info collection.
[1985425:1985425:0825/181640.361121:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(78)] CollectGraphicsInfo failed.
[1985425:1985425:0825/181640.439042:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(162)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[1985492:1985492:0825/181645.584973:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(3612)] ContextResult::kFatalFailure: fail_if_major_perf_caveat + swiftshader
[1985492:1985492:0825/181645.588383:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(3612)] ContextResult::kFatalFailure: fail_if_major_perf_caveat + swiftshader
[1985442:1985457:0825/181741.721431:ERROR:cert_verify_proc_builtin.cc(601)] No net_fetcher for performing AIA chasing.
[1985442:1985457:0825/181741.726549:ERROR:cert_verify_proc_builtin.cc(601)] No net_fetcher for performing AIA chasing.
user@machine:~/Downloads/Games/CD Camelot/CiC 0.21 Linux$

======================== End Code ========================

It's beginning to look like MY machine does not like that plugin.

Thank you for trying. Honestly.

As I said, this is a VERY non-standard machine.
First, it's dual quad core Xenon processors.
Second, it uses treble interleaving for the RAM.
Third, the RAM is ECC, or Error Correcting.
Fourth, the graphics card is a PNY NVIDIA Quadro.
Fifth, I run Linux Mint, not Ubuntu. More unusual than most.
Sixth, making this thing very nearly unique, I use the Mate desktop, not the more standard Cinnamon desktop for Mint.
Seventh, I'm running the Long Term Support version of Mint Mate, not the standard distribution.

Can you ask for more trouble than this?
The thing was made for doing video rendering, not playing games.

Thank you for all your hard work.
A-ha! I have a dual GPU laptop and was able to reproduce that issue by forcing the game to run on the discrete (nVidia) GPU. It works fine on the integrated Intel GPU. I'm on fc34 using the Nouveau driver. If you're also using Nouveau, it might be worth trying the proprietary nVidia driver. If I recall correctly, Mint has some kind of integrated installer to switch the video drivers.

playerme

Jun 3, 2018
A-ha! I have a dual GPU laptop and was able to reproduce that issue by forcing the game to run on the discrete (nVidia) GPU. It works fine on the integrated Intel GPU. I'm on fc34 using the Nouveau driver. If you're also using Nouveau, it might be worth trying the proprietary nVidia driver. If I recall correctly, Mint has some kind of integrated installer to switch the video drivers.
Thanks for chiming in. I'll take any help I can get -- and I DO appreciate it.

My card is the NVIDIA Quadro, so I'm running the proprietary NVIDIA-340.108-Obuntu5.20.04.2 Driver, not the open source X-server-Xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.16-1 XOrg X-server Nouveau Driver. The 340 driver was recommended by all the gaming sites, so that was the one I switched to. Even at that, I occasionally get video driver issues, since the Quadro card I'm using is something like, six or eight years old. Another issue I get in other games, some Unity and others Ren'py, is a Direct-X 11 warning, insisting I install Direct-X 11. I DID install Direct-X 11. It's an old GPU with less than 1 Gig of DDR-3 V-RAM. I've been tempted to install Direct-X 12 in Wine, but cringe away, since it smacks of doze-10. There, I'll have to admit, using the XOrg driver might work, since those usually employ Open GL. However, there are many games that won't run, or won't run well if I use the XOrg drivers and force Open GL. Then I'd have to swap drivers in and out with each game.

Are you saying I should try the Nouveau driver, since the NVIDIA driver isn't cutting it?

We were able to get the game running in both html5 and under Wine when the devel disabled a plug-in that allows for flashing screen images, like when you get into the dungeon with the hypno hell traps. I'll say the audio was lost when the plug-in was disabled, but the video issues were overcome and the game was playable in Wine. With the html version, we lost the ability to continue a game at startup. We had to enter the game first, before we could hit the saves. That made us need to create a character every time we started the game. The devel provided a work-around for that, assuming you had a save that would allow you to continue. The issue is getting it running natively in Linux, since they were good enough to provide a Linux distro. Unfortunately, I think the issues are my machine, not the game, since no-one else seems to have issues. I really don't think the driver is the issue here. I think it's my Quadro Card not living up to its end of the bargain.

Back when I was helping with beta play-testing Privateer remake, I had an atypical and out of date AGP -- I think it was AGP -- video card that required the game executable be re-configured so that it would work with that brand of card. I think it's the same thing here. However, with a Quadro, something almost no-one uses unless they're doing video rendering almost exclusively, I think it unreasonable to try to get the game to work for just one card -- an outdated card at that -- that almost isn't used in the average home. Game players -- I won't say gamers, as they're a breed apart -- aren't going to get a Quadro to play games, they're going to purchase GPUs designed for playing games and doing spreadsheets. I got the systems I have as refurbs. Right now, getting an even reasonable GPU is unreasonable, due to cost, thanks to bit coin miners. Right now, a used, five-years-old, 1050-Ti is going for almost twice what it cost new. Three hundred for a card that's already out of date and only sold for a hundred fifty when new, is completely unreasonable. I can do a hundred for something as capable as the old Quadro I have, not three.

Unlike you, I don't have a choice in video chips. The MoBo I have for my HP Z600 does not have integrated video support, since it's an industrial board designed for work stations and the processors designed to fit in it don't have video support built in. I have two of them, since they're refurbs and I got a great price on the pair. I paid less for two complete dual quad core hyper-threading CPU machines I could combine into one nice machine, than I would have for a more conventional, single CPU quad core machine with less RAM and HDD space. Now I'm paying for being frugal -- or maybe being a skinflint, if you must.

Most standard consumer intel chips that come in pre-built and configuired systems are actually APUs of a sort, not simple GPUs. Unlike AMD, whose chips are usually straight CPUs, not APUs. Certain select AMD APUs & Radeon GPU boards can actually work in crossfire configuration. intel refuses to work in SLI with the APUs and GPUs. They force you to purchase a second discrete GPU to use SLI configuration. It's a big selling point with them and doze.

Ready for a trip down Memory Lane?

Corporations LIKE making you spend money. I was one of the invitees for the roll-out of doze 2k. Their biggest selling point was how 2k was going to force the consumers to upgrade their hardware, thereby increasing MY profits as an IT pro, with increased hardware sales, just so they could run the newest and latest doze. That was what had me REALLY looking at Linux instead of doze.

As I said before, I'm no newbie to Linux. I ran Red Hat 5.2, back when Red Hat was a consumer distro, with my old 486 DX2-66, but that was more as a hobbyist, not as my every day driver. Back then, you had to WANT to tinker with your system, if you ran Linux. Configuring things was a major endeavour, with how things always seemed to have conflicting dependencies in the various packages. By the time they came out with 2k, I was using Mandrake 6.2 I think, since that was about the time Red Hat went corporate with their distro and were more an enterprise solution, than for private home use. The 2k roll-out is what sold me on Linux and soured me on doze, even if 2k WAS more stable than most other operating environments in the doze lineup back then. You'll note I call doze an environment, not a system. It's a conglomeration of bits, pieces and parts taken from everywhere and slapped together, pushed out the door and everyone gets to live through update hell as they TRY to fix the bugs. Linux is a system, with how everyone gets together and does their best to integrate things seamlessly. At least it doesn't eat itself, the way doze does ... or did.

Now then, back to the here and now.

My procs are Xenons, without GPU support, unlike most standard consumer intel chips in pre-built and configured systems, which have GPU support built in, often in the CPU, although the GPU can be added to the MoBo. The Xenon is considered an industrial chip, designed for servers and work stations, not a home chip. Therefore it, like the MoBos designed for most chips like it, is stripped down. Corporations buy thousands of systems, not just a few. Therefore, they don't want to pay two bucks a board to include the video output on the MoBos, if they don't need to, same for the CPUs. That can run them thousands they don't need, or want to spend. Why add in the extra silicone, or work configuring it if you don't need it, or it's going to sit there and moulder when your workers need and use the Quadro to do their work?

The system came with the Quadro. It's the only discrete PCI-e graphics card I have. I actually have three of the things, all of them identical. The others I have would REALLY be a step backward, being standard PCI format boards, or the format before PCI-e but after PCI; what was it ... AGP? I THINK I have an ancient AGP card somewhere, but as I said, assuming I could even squeeze the card into the MoBo, which I can't, if I were to run them, they'd be something like 128 MB or 256 MB V-RAM, DDR V-RAM, or DDR2 V-RAM. I'll grant you, my card only has 512 MB DDR3 V-RAM, but DDR-3 is way above simple V-RAM.

I will admit, there are MoBos out there that have specific NVIDIA or Radeon GPU chip sets on them and it's a major selling point for the board manufacturers, so I'm not going to say intel ONLY makes APUs for consumers, I'm not.

As for driver swaps ... yeah, Mint has the same basic driver swap interface as Ubuntu. It's a different desktop format, but with the same base internals as Ubuntu, only with a few tweaks. That IS what it's based on after all. However, I think that running the proprietary NVIDIA driver would be best overall. Don't you think?

Last edited:

Jul 18, 2017
Thanks for chiming in. I'll take any help I can get -- and I DO appreciate it.

My card is the NVIDIA Quadro, so I'm running the proprietary NVIDIA-340.108-Obuntu5.20.04.2 Driver, not the open source X-server-Xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.16-1 XOrg X-server Nouveau Driver. The 340 driver was recommended by all the gaming sites, so that was the one I switched to. Even at that, I occasionally get video driver issues, since the Quadro card I'm using is something like, six or eight years old. Another issue I get in other games, some Unity and others Ren'py, is a Direct-X 11 warning, insisting I install Direct-X 11. I DID install Direct-X 11. It's an old GPU with less than 1 Gig of DDR-3 V-RAM. I've been tempted to install Direct-X 12 in Wine, but cringe away, since it smacks of doze-10. There, I'll have to admit, using the XOrg driver might work, since those usually employ Open GL. However, there are many games that won't run, or won't run well if I use the XOrg drivers and force Open GL. Then I'd have to swap drivers in and out with each game.

Are you saying I should try the Nouveau driver, since the NVIDIA driver isn't cutting it?

We were able to get the game running in both html5 and under Wine when the devel disabled a plug-in that allows for flashing screen images, like when you get into the dungeon with the hypno hell traps. I'll say the audio was lost when the plug-in was disabled, but the video issues were overcome and the game was playable in Wine. The issue is getting it running natively in Linux, since they were good enough to provide a linux distro. I really don't think the driver is the issue here. I think it's my Quadro Card not living up to its end of the bargain.

Unlike you, I don't have a choice in video chips. The MoBo I have for my HP Z600 -- I have two of them -- does not have integrated video support, since it's an industrial board designed for work stations and the processors designed to fit in it don't have video support built in.

Most standard consumer intel chips that come in pre-built and configuired systems are actually APUs of a sort, not simple GPUs. Unlike AMD, whose chips are usually straight CPUs, not APUs. Certain select AMD APUs & Radeon GPU boards can actually work in crossfire configuration. intel refuses to work in SLI with the APUs and GPUs. They force you to purchase a second discrete GPU to use SLI configuration. It's a big selling point with them and doze.

Ready for a trip down Memory Lane?

Corporations LIKE making you spend money. I was one of the invitees for the roll-out of doze 2k. Their biggest selling point was how 2k was going to force the consumers to upgrade their hardware, thereby increasing MY profits as an IT pro, with increased hardware sales, just so they could run the newest and latest doze. That was what had me REALLY looking at Linux instead of doze.

As I said before, I'm no newbie to Linux. I ran Red Hat 5.2, back when Red Hat was a consumer distro, with my old 486 DX2-66, but that was more as a hobbyist, not as my every day driver. Back then, you had to WANT to tinker with your system, if you ran Linux. Configuring things was a major endeavour, with how things always seemed to have conflicting dependencies in the various packages. By the time they came out with 2k, I was using Mandrake 6.2 I think, since that was about the time Red Hat went corporate with their distro and were more an enterprise solution, than for private home use. The 2k roll-out is what sold me on Linux and soured me on doze, even if 2k WAS more stable than most other operating environments in the doze lineup back then. You'll note I call doze an environment, not a system. It's a conglomeration of bits, pieces and parts taken from everywhere and slapped together, pushed out the door and everyone gets to live through update hell as they TRY to fix the bugs. Linux is a system, with how everyone gets together and does their best to integrate things seamlessly. At least it doesn't eat itself, the way doze does ... or did.

Now then, back to the here and now.

My procs are Xenons, without GPU support, unlike most standard consumer intel chips in pre-built and configured systems, which have GPU support built in, often in the CPU, although the GPU can be added to the MoBo. The Xenon is considered an industrial chip, designed for servers and work stations, not a home chip. Therefore it, like the MoBos designed for most chips like it, is stripped down. Corporations buy thousands of systems, not just a few. Therefore, they don't want to pay two bucks a board to include the video output on the MoBos, if they don't need to, same for the CPUs. That can run them thousands they don't need, or want to spend. Why add in the extra silicone, or work configuring it if you don't need it, or it's going to sit there and moulder when your workers need and use the Quadro to do their work?

The system came with the Quadro. It's the only discrete PCI-e graphics card I have. I actually have three of the things, all of them identical. The others I have would REALLY be a step backward, being standard PCI format boards, or the format before PCI-e but after PCI; what was it ... AGP? I THINK I have an ancient AGP card somewhere, but as I said, assuming I could even squeeze the card into the MoBo, which I can't, if I were to run them, they'd be something like 128 MB V-RAM. I'll grant you, my card only has 512 MB DDR3 V-RAM, but DDR-3 is way above simple V-RAM.

I will admit, there are MoBos out there that have specific NVIDIA or Radeon GPU chip sets on them and it's a major selling point for the board manufacturers, so I'm not going to say intel ONLY makes APUs for consumers, I'm not.

As for driver swaps ... yeah, Mint has the same basic driver swap interface as Ubuntu. It's a different desktop format, but with the same base internals as Ubuntu, only with a few tweaks. That IS what it's based on after all. However, I think that running the proprietary NVIDIA driver would be best overall. Don't you think?
Yeah. The proprietary driver is definitely better in most circumstances. My suggestion was only that you switch to using the proprietary driver if you were currently using Nouveau. Since I'm able to reproduce the issue using Nouveau, and you see it with the proprietary driver, I highly doubt switching drivers will be of any benefit to you.

It sounds like this lighting plug-in might just have trouble with nVidia cards in general. I'll test it out on my desktop tomorrow, which also has an nVidia card.

playerme

Jun 3, 2018
It sounds like this lighting plug-in might just have trouble with nVidia cards in general. I'll test it out on my desktop tomorrow, which also has an nVidia card.

Yeah. Thing is, I think it's a lighting plugin problem combined with the card being non-standard NVIDIA. Quadro 300's are ancient! However, they're better than nothing and MOST, not all, of the older integrated GPUs.

Reactions: 02010

playerme

Jun 3, 2018
I was trying to get RPGMakerSaveEdit0.6.9 running and had to install Wine Mono, wine-mono-6.3.0-x86.msi

For those of you who use Linux:
You can't run RPG Maker Save Edit under Wine, unless you install: Wine Mono.
You can find the latest version here:
The Current Version of Wine Mono is: wine-mono-6-3-0-x86.msi.
You can find it here:
Be warned, RPG Maker Save Edit is PAINFULLY slow under wine. Have Patience!
Good Luck and Have fun.
Mono install instructions are here:

after doing that, I tried running the game again.

Running Game file gave the following output

====================== Start Code ======================

user@machine:~/Downloads/Games/CD Camelot/CiC 0.21 Linux (2)$ ./Game
[475484:0826/094432:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(170)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
[475484:0826/094444:INFO:CONSOLE(27682)] ""\n %c %c %c PixiJS 4.5.4 - \u2730 WebGL \u2730 %c %c %c %c \u2665%c\u2665%c\u2665 \n\n" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff66a5; background: #030307; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ffc3dc; padding:5px 0;" "background: #ff66a5; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;" "color: #ff2424; background: #fff; padding:5px 0;"", source: file:///home/user/Downloads/Games/CD%20Camelot/CiC%200.21%20Linux%20(2)/www/js/libs/pixi.js (27682)

#
#

1: 2
2: 2
3: 2
user@machine:~/Downloads/Games/CD Camelot/CiC 0.21 Linux (2)$

====================== Start Code ======================

It's the same thing, only different. Don't know what i was expecting, but there you have it.
They say, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Running nw gave the very same graphics error as before.

Last edited:

Jul 18, 2017
Yeah. Thing is, I think it's a lighting plugin problem combined with the card being non-standard NVIDIA. Quadro 300's are ancient! However, they're better than nothing and MOST, not all, of the older integrated GPUs.
Tested on my other machine, and it works. So we have the following:
  • Breaks with a Quadro 300 on the proprietary driver.
  • Breaks with a mobile 1050 Ti on Nouveau.
  • Works with a GTX 1070 on the proprietary driver.
So we know that:
  • Driver choice is not a factor (at least between proprietary and Nouveau).
  • Chip age is not a factor (the 1050 Ti and the 1070 are both Pascal chips).
I think the most likely cause is that, since version 340 of the proprietary nVidia driver is so old (current is ~470), it doesn't implement some rendering API that the lighting plug-in requires. Nouveau probably has the same problem, being reverse-engineered and all. I don't think it's possible to upgrade your driver, since, as you are probably aware, they drop support for older cards in newer versions.

Anyway, I think the best solution at this point is probably just to run the game under Wine or to use it without the lighting plugin.

4.00 star(s) 32 Votes