VN Ren'Py Cultural Replay: An Unofficial Culture Shock Fanwork [v0.36] [Palos69]

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Who's your favorite girl?

• Total voters

Hfap5

Oct 13, 2023
I like the bad bitch faces that Sunny makes when she's telling the mc what things she did with the x (I don't remember her name)
This remake had to pick up where the previous game left off
At this rate it will be 3 years to be up to date

Shirafune

Jun 6, 2017
Tracy will get the most votes as in real game we're getting screwed over the next update due to Marcus's dad's return

• Sad
Reactions: DTchan

jasad

Dec 14, 2021
My friends,
I developed a simple WT Mod for Cultural Replay. I really liked Culture Shock and I think it's great that Palos69 has developed a fan remake. This Mod, as is my custom, is based on the Alpha route. All game decisions remain but the Mod emphasizes the non-NTR content. In case it helps anyone, I hope you enjoy it.

2024-03-11: My friends, Dev says that the game now has its own WT, I'm going to review it, but mine may no longer be needed. Please remember that my Mod is based on the Alpha route and there may be little content in this version. Please DM me if you want me to continue my WT of the Alpha route, but, as always, allowing you to see all the scenes with a simple decision.
Almost 2024-03-12: My friends, Dev did an excellent job with the WT Mod but, as my dad used to say, there is always room for improvement. Dev also made a lot of changes in the code, especially in the names of the variables. So, unfortunately, the old saves are not going to work. The saves from version 0.2 can be deleted. You have to start over and what's better than restarting the game using my Mod. As I mentioned previously, the Mod is oriented to the alpha path but you can see all the scenes. This is not a spoiler, Dev already mentioned it in another post: including the scenes between Tracy and the MC from version 0.25. All of them. Speaking of scenes, I left you a gift, a bonus. I found some footage of Tracy and MC that wasn't being used so I included it in the final scene. Later, please tell me if you like my present.
Almost 2024-04-16: Mod for Cultural Replay v0.3 updated! Palos69 Dev has made several modifications to the code since the beginning of the game, therefore old saves will not work. As always, the Mod is oriented towards the Alpha route but it has all the decisions and even within the Alpha route you can see the Beta scenes. Taking advantage of the fact that I had to review all the code of the Mod anyway, I added some Beta scenes that were not in Mod v0.25. I hope you enjoy the Mod and please support Palos69 Dev so he can buy the software he needs.
2024-05-22: I'm sorry, my bad. I completely missed version 0.32. I am going to update the Mod directly to version 0.35.
2024-05-23: Mod for Cultural Replay v0.35 updated! Palos69 Dev has made several modifications to the code since the beginning of the game, therefore old saves will not work. I highly recommended that you start a new game.

Best regards,

Murray.
thank you for the mod update

Reactions: MurrayMods

co11ider

Jul 15, 2018
Can you describe what is broken?

Is it the naming within the dialogue? I plan on releasing a patch today, if all goes well.

(Edit: I think I found the issue. I'll be re-releasing an android version shortly.)
(Edit: New Android release posted. Let me know if you still have issues.)

Rape changes several scenes already, including one of the new lewds for the beta path. It's kind of it's own separate path right now, but it may merge into another or be kept separate. I'm not sure yet.

Depends. While the alpha and beta status still exist, I have made it easier to do move in and out. I actually dislike the beta/alpha mindset a lot, but it was a main feature of the original game and it didn't feel right to remove it.

Thank you, I will look into this. A+ bug reporting.

A few additional questions, had you ever played the game before? I want to know if you had any kind of persistent save data on your machine.

What OS are you using?

I see that you got rid of the error message when the Incest toggle was enabled. Did the error come back if the toggle was disabled afterwards?

Note that using rewind (going backwards in the story) may not show the new changes until the lines are manually clicked through again as they're saved in some kind of history. So the best method to test this is to enable the toggle, verify the error is gone, than rewind to a point before where the error line was with some lines to spare, then disable the toggle and click through it again. I will test this on my own first, but I may need the help of someone who is experiencing the bug.

(Edit: I wiped all my persistent data and still can’t replicate the bug on PC.)

While I am fixing some of the earlier renders, this is mainly a story overhaul. I wanted to give the characters justification for their actions. The story is pretty similar up to around Day 8. At that point, depending on player choice, it can go off the rails.

Many of the changes in the earlier portion of the game are more subtle in scale, because not much happens in the original game until the mid-teen Days. There are currently five cut sex scenes (only one where someone actually has sex), but most of those scenes will reintegrated at a later point so they have more impact on the story. If you played the original game, you might recall that most of the early content had absolutely no purpose or effect on the story, which is something I hope to remedy.

I saw the complaint that this project is slower than the original and less happens, but I'm just not seeing it. I replayed the first half of Culture Shock last night to refresh my memory and I remember now why people don't play the first half of Culture Shock. It’s pretty light on content. It might be because I've made every girl optional (something that is not true in the original game) and players are missing the entry points to routes.

There is one sharing scene you can get during the party scene on day 3, but so far that's it. I have scenes outlined for the MC loaning out certain girls or being loaned certain girls for later on. Characters need to be developed before that can happen.

The android error was that it was crashing when starting the game and cannot access preferences. Havent tried the fixed one.

Reactions: Palos69

JenMistress

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2019
My friends,
I developed a simple WT Mod for Cultural Replay. I really liked Culture Shock and I think it's great that Palos69 has developed a fan remake. This Mod, as is my custom, is based on the Alpha route. All game decisions remain but the Mod emphasizes the non-NTR content. In case it helps anyone, I hope you enjoy it.

2024-03-11: My friends, Dev says that the game now has its own WT, I'm going to review it, but mine may no longer be needed. Please remember that my Mod is based on the Alpha route and there may be little content in this version. Please DM me if you want me to continue my WT of the Alpha route, but, as always, allowing you to see all the scenes with a simple decision.
Almost 2024-03-12: My friends, Dev did an excellent job with the WT Mod but, as my dad used to say, there is always room for improvement. Dev also made a lot of changes in the code, especially in the names of the variables. So, unfortunately, the old saves are not going to work. The saves from version 0.2 can be deleted. You have to start over and what's better than restarting the game using my Mod. As I mentioned previously, the Mod is oriented to the alpha path but you can see all the scenes. This is not a spoiler, Dev already mentioned it in another post: including the scenes between Tracy and the MC from version 0.25. All of them. Speaking of scenes, I left you a gift, a bonus. I found some footage of Tracy and MC that wasn't being used so I included it in the final scene. Later, please tell me if you like my present.
Almost 2024-04-16: Mod for Cultural Replay v0.3 updated! Palos69 Dev has made several modifications to the code since the beginning of the game, therefore old saves will not work. As always, the Mod is oriented towards the Alpha route but it has all the decisions and even within the Alpha route you can see the Beta scenes. Taking advantage of the fact that I had to review all the code of the Mod anyway, I added some Beta scenes that were not in Mod v0.25. I hope you enjoy the Mod and please support Palos69 Dev so he can buy the software he needs.
2024-05-22: I'm sorry, my bad. I completely missed version 0.32. I am going to update the Mod directly to version 0.35.
2024-05-23: Mod for Cultural Replay v0.35 updated! Palos69 Dev has made several modifications to the code since the beginning of the game, therefore old saves will not work. I highly recommended that you start a new game.

Best regards,

Murray.
Caught up with the Dev, and your mod helped out as always. Thank you so very much for your work on this!!!

RenegadeWraith

Jun 1, 2023
I found a continuity error at the end of the update. I hadn't done anything with the sister but when mom left the living room at the end of the night she said she had seen us together.

thegrindisreal

Dec 19, 2018
This game is such a failure I can't remember mom's name. I know Emma is the best model in the game. That leaves the mom, sis and the lifeguard. Your screenshots helped me figure out who is who.
I am shocked people want Stacy...since there was no content with her in the original game...Not even NTR...It was constantly useless dreams...
I am even more shocked people put so little votes on Karla...Way better model then mom and sis.
Already wrote a short review...The game just took too damn long. The dev got lost in his own project...Then there were NTR paths WITHIN NTR paths...Got way to confusing...

I voted Emma since the relationship with her was well written, and only relationship within the game on top of that...
Not interested in Tracy even in the slightest...The dev made her...Outdated:LOL:
Good luck.

Palos69

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
I found a continuity error at the end of the update. I hadn't done anything with the sister but when mom left the living room at the end of the night she said she had seen us together.
Were you playing Alpha path? If so, that might because of a preview scene I wrote too early and then kept it. It’ll be addressed in the next release.
This game is such a failure I can't remember mom's name. I know Emma is the best model in the game. That leaves the mom, sis and the lifeguard. Your screenshots helped me figure out who is who.

Already wrote a short review...The game just took too damn long. The dev got lost in his own project...Then there were NTR paths WITHIN NTR paths...Got way to confusing...

Good luck.
I can’t tell if you’re talking about the original game or this version. But it makes sense that you would forget the name, given that I removed about 99% of the uses with the toggle. Always thought it was weird that the son called his mom by their first name.

And complex branches and better event flow was always the goal of the rewrite. I’m not interested in making a quick wank game. There are a lot of better games for that.

You’re not the first to point out the slowness. I did an OG game run to refresh my memory and it was enlightening. The first eight days, while rewritten, are the most similar to the original game. The next release will include a few additional ways to skip or reduce some of those “on the rail” scenes in certain routes to make them more distinct from the original.

Thanks for trying this version and leaving feedback. It’s all useful, good or bad.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: jaybae01

RenegadeWraith

Jun 1, 2023
Were you playing Alpha path? If so, that might because of a preview scene I wrote too early and then kept it. It’ll be addressed in the next release.

Neither, I was Neutral....I had 5 Alpha and 5 Beta points I believe...I'll probably gp back and choose a dedicated route and see how that ends

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
So just from playing this I have two main opinions:

#1 The Sunny relationship feels rushed and unnatural. You go from being close siblings, to her being distant after the dad's death, to wanting to be your girlfriend within a week of moving. No. Also if you're still planning to have the same Harem Alpha route from the original game, why does every decision after agreeing to date Sunny have the MC having thoughts like he's cheating.

#2 The change to James seems weird. In a game where it's perfectly normal for us to want our mom and sister, why change him perving on Emma? It just feels weird.

Palos69

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
Soooo, my SO finally asked what this was. While they haven’t forbidden me to continue, there were some legitimate concerns. For that reason, I may have to change the default names for some of the characters. For now, this only effects the stepmother.

The neutral path isn’t really as developed as the others yet. I’m really only focusing on making sure traversal happens without errors for now.

So just from playing this I have two main opinions:

#1 The Sunny relationship feels rushed and unnatural. You go from being close siblings, to her being distant after the dad's death, to wanting to be your girlfriend within a week of moving. No. Also if you're still planning to have the same Harem Alpha route from the original game, why does every decision after agreeing to date Sunny have the MC having thoughts like he's cheating.

#2 The change to James seems weird. In a game where it's perfectly normal for us to want our mom and sister, why change him perving on Emma? It just feels weird.
#1 Yeah, I feel that. It's something I've considered before.

The reason it was sped up was that then I could have the female characters interact with each other more during the harem routes and to get relationships established for the NTR ones. If I change it back, than almost every lewd currently in the beta path would have to be cut and re-added later.

I think I have to keep it this way for now, but I'm very open to changing it in the future.

Do you have any specific suggestions on what would make it feel more real to you?

----

Your point about the cheating is something I’ve heard before. I’ve fixed a few areas, but I clearly missed a couple. One of the main goals of the next release is to streamline the alpha route to make it more distinct, and add options to bully Marcus in relevant scenes. I haven't currently put a way in the early game to distinguish a player wanting to be faithful versus one that doesn't, and I think that's something that needs to be there.

Or I can just scrap the alpha/beta dynamic completely. Which is something I've been wanting to do for a long time.

----

#2 Are you talking about him wanting Emma? That hasn’t changed. I think that element needs to be a little less obvious. I personally thought it was weird in the original game that he was telling people about it openly and everyone was just “Lol, that's just James being James. It's fine, let's keep inviting him to stuff.”

I personally like the idea of James of being reluctant. It gives the situation a bit more dramatic weight and gives a lot of potential opportunities for the MC to have an impact on that relationship.

And it's actually not normalized in this version. I very want this to remain a taboo subject, unlike the original game. Every character interaction involving someone discovering incest has been negative so far. Realistically, I think the assumption would be that the brother has been grooming/sexually assaulting his sister and any sane person would get authorities involved, so I've written reactions to be more gentle disapproval so as to not force myself into a corner where it leads to a bad end.

The main character is also supposed to be reluctant. It's really apparent in some areas, but clearly not in others. I may need to re-look at those lines.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: jaybae01

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
Do you have any specific suggestions on what would make it feel more real to you?
Honestly, there's only one thing I can think of and it's something beyond your capabilities at the moment. You would need to add an entire custom scene or two. If you are going to have the confession take place during that moment, then the MC and Sunny would need to have spent considerably more time together by that point with more options for gaining points with her and thus making requirements to unlock the girlfriend path higher. As it stands, the only socializing they do that is separate from the family at that point is when they are on the beach alone together or a few moments in the house. That's what makes it feel rushed. They have no interaction with each other alone before the confession. The Shower and Gym incidents are now after the confession, which makes the change to the relationship have no substance.

There's no build up to it, no signs of her growing attraction. It's just as sudden and out of character as in normal NTR games where the character who is a prude to you for 6 or 7 versions of the game turns into a complete slut in one choice on the NTR route. It makes no logical sense.

Last edited:

Palos69

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
Honestly, there's only one thing I can think of and it's something beyond your capabilities at the moment. You would need to add an entire custom scene or two. If you are going to have the confession take place during that moment, then the MC and Sunny would need to have spent considerably more time together by that point with more options for gaining points with her and thus making requirements to unlock the girlfriend path higher. As it stands, the only socializing they do that is separate from the family at that point is when they are on the beach alone together or a few moments in the house. That's what makes it feel rushed. They have no interaction with each other alone before the confession. The Shower and Gym incidents are now after the confession, which makes the change to the relationship have no substance.

There's no build up to it, no signs of her growing attraction. It's just as sudden and out of character as in normal NTR games where the character who is a prude to you for 6 or 7 versions of the game turns into a complete slut in one choice on the NTR route. It makes no logical sense.
Thank you for the well-explained feedback. It’s given me a few ideas. I’ll look into trying to fill that gap for the next release.

Making some of the sister scenes into a flexible, content pipeline seemed like a good idea at the time, but I may need to revert some of those changes.

Last edited:

Lysergic

Aug 18, 2018
The main character is also supposed to be reluctant. It's really apparent in some areas, but clearly not in others. I may need to re-look at those lines.
Please don't, it's one of the most annoying things people writing VNs do. They want an MC to seem reluctant but it almost always results in them seeming like a little bit of a bitch since eventually there are always scenes of them ineffectually trying to dissuade some aggressive LI from forcing themselves on the MC.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: 4rn4ld0 and Palos69

Nick198

Apr 24, 2021
Thank you for the well-explained feedback. It’s given me a few ideas. I’ll look into trying to fill that gap for the next release.

Making some of the sister scenes into a flexible, content pipeline seemed like a good idea at the time, but I may need to revert some of those changes.
Why did I play it once and feel like it's no different from the original?

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes