Jef17904

Dec 28, 2018
Using .rar or .7z just makes it more difficult. When those are used to compress files you, the end user, has to fix the permissions using chmod or BatChmod.

Can you post a screenshot of the error, or copy the text word for word?
here I finally was able to open the app but now there is the message I get
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 224, in script call
call _splashscreen from _call_splashscreen_1
File "game/script.rpy", line 61, in script
with Pause(2)
Exception: Invalid key specifier image_load_log
and there's even more that

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Interesting game so far but I am confused.

The WT says there is an Alpha route which is the one I am interested in but it does not feel very Alpha at all. Maybe the dev is confused as to what an Alpha is. Unless I am mistaken the Alpha should be getting all the girls and not the other dudes but it seems the dev has reversed the roles and being an Alpha in this game world really means being a beta or cuck...o_O

Anybody else think its completely backwards?
Apparently the writer is trying to make the Alpha route "realistic" even though its even less realistic then the cuck route and the writer just decided to make that one "surreal" so it can have more content. Its obvious that hes not into the harem type stuff, and more into NTR, so be prepared to be disappointed if that's what you like.

TheKryptonian

Truth, Justice, and TheKryptonian way...
Donor
Nov 22, 2018
Apparently the writer is trying to make the Alpha route "realistic" even though its even less realistic then the cuck route and the writer just decided to make that one "surreal" so it can have more content. Its obvious that hes not into the harem type stuff, and more into NTR, so be prepared to be disappointed if that's what you like.
Interesting.

Then why bother even include a route he apparently doesnt like himself?

Just makes no sense.

Reactions: FalseOath

numanumani

Jan 9, 2018
That is extremely good to know. I was completely confused as to why Mac users were having so much trouble. (I don't own one so I could never test it.) We will no longer be using 7zip for the Mac files then. The compression rate was higher that is why we always uploaded using 7zip.
You'd think so but as far as I know, normal .zip won't retain file permissions either, so really, switching from 7-zip won't help. What is normally done depending on the target (*nix or Mac) is to either:
a) Use tar first, which packages the files in a container that keeps the permissions safe, and then compress it with your method of choice (zip, 7z, etc).
b) For the Mac users, put the files in a disk image and use that as a safe container. It can either be compressed innately or you can compress it manually afterwards with zip. This method works best if the dev uses Mac themselves.
c) Let the users sort it themselves. :p

I just ran a test using the Mac version downloadable from Nopy and found the following:
  1. Using Unarchiver to decompress the .7z, I got a folder containing an app called CultureShock.app.
  2. Permissions inside the .app are set using the default which normally means read+write+execute (755) on folders you own and read+write (644) on files you own. This happens because the files/folders lost any assigned permissions during compression.
  3. Since you're missing execute-permissions on the files inside, the .app will error out if you try to run it, on my MacOS 10.12 (Sierra) that results in an error message saying "The application “CultureShock” can’t be opened.
  4. If execute-permissions are added using chmod or a tool like BatChmod you will then run into the next problem, ; since the game isn't signed using an approved certificate that Apple recognises the OS will prevent you from running the "mysterious" application.
  5. You can get around that by either changing the system-wide setting to allow applications from any source to be executed or you can specifically choose to sidestep gatekeeper by right-clicking the .app and choosing "Open" at the top of the context menu. Doing it that way gives you the option of opening the file anyway, see attached images. After bypassing Gatekeeper at least once for a particular .app, the quarantine-flag is removed and you can open it normally by double-clicking, without getting nagging Gatekeeper messages.

Example of Gatekeeper error by simply double-clicking the .app:
gatekeeper.png

Right-click and Open instead gives you:
gatekeeper2.png

Having said that, there's one problem with the official release that I didn't notice at first. It errors out if you keep the included unren-files. (Or added your own):

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Removing unren-dev.rpy and unren-dev.rpyc from the game folder lets you boot the game properly. I am not sure what causes that issue.

Edit: It seems like the renpy supportfiles (renpy-folder) have been updated between the releases, I'm guessing something there is incompatible with the unren-files.

Edit2: Confirmed theory by copying the game-folder from 0.8 to a previous version's folder. The game launches without errors, even with unren-dev in place.

numanumani

Jan 9, 2018
here I finally was able to open the app but now there is the message I get
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 224, in script call
call _splashscreen from _call_splashscreen_1
File "game/script.rpy", line 61, in script
with Pause(2)
Exception: Invalid key specifier image_load_log
and there's even more that
Yeah, I noticed that myself. A workaround is to go into the game-folder and remove the two included unren-dev-files. Something with the unren console-enabler is incompatible with the newer Renpy version the 0.8 game includes.

TheKryptonian

Donor
Nov 22, 2018
Why even keep writing if you dont like it. There is planty harem games that are also completed just pick one, so any1 that cant wait for instant contect JUST go and look for completed tag in games.
So asking why a route that is named Alpha isnt actually an Alpha has offended you I guess? o_O

Reactions: botc76

TheKryptonian

Donor
Nov 22, 2018
I mean I'm just guessing here, but its at least obvious to me that he likes NTR more then harem type shit, which is fine. To answer your question though, it makes more money.
That makes sense.

Say you are going to provide a certain type of content then not provide it. Seems rather shady tbh.

wep

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 16, 2016
So asking why a route that is named Alpha isnt actually an Alpha has offended you I guess? o_O
yes, we are sick to have the same conversation every 3 pages.
There is hundreds of post about the argument here.

the dev explained in details several time what he is doing and why the game is structured in this way.
I don't know if he will be able to do as promised, but in that case it will be an alpha route. Different from the other games but still alpha.

So there are really very few options here:

1)read the thread, believe in the dev plan and continue to play if you like the idea
2)don't believe him and/or don't like the game and go to play another game that you could enjoy more.

Beating again a death horse is not constructive at all.

The dev is not going to change the game.
People that like the game will continue to like it
People that don't like it will continue to not like it.

And believe me this post is 100% friendly. I have no doubt that you don't know the history of this thread and don't have an idea how annoying could be reading again the same question/critic. :)

gigan

Engaged Member
Modder
Nov 7, 2017
is a text from Heartlessnobody95 about the alpha route.He has written that the mc starts as a beta virgin.For more information read his post

TheKryptonian

Donor
Nov 22, 2018
yes, we are sick to have the same conversation every 3 pages.
There is hundreds of post about the argument here.

the dev explained in details several time what he is doing and why the game is structured in this way.
I don't know if he will be able to do as promised, but in that case it will be an alpha route. Different from the other games but still alpha.

So there are really very few options here:

1)read the thread, believe in the dev plan and continue to play if you like the idea
2)don't believe him and/or don't like the game and go to play another game that you could enjoy more.

Beating again a death horse is not constructive at all.

The dev is not going to change the game.
People that like the game will continue to like it
People that don't like it will continue to not like it.

And believe me this post is 100% friendly. I have no doubt that you don't know the history of this thread and don't have an idea how annoying could be reading again the same question/critic. :)
Friendly indeed.

So I went back and read quite a few pages and your right the dev just doesnt understand the meaning of a true Alpha. But nobody knows everything so its understandable.

Just a piece of friendly advice from myself to the dev. Maybe rename the routes to beta1 and beta2 and it will save everyone a load of misunderstandings on the matter.

TheKryptonian

Donor
Nov 22, 2018
is a text from Heartlessnobody95 about the alpha route.He has written that the mc starts as a beta virgin.For more information read his post
Thanks I did see that (y)

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
yeh, now that I'm reading it again maybe it was a little too harsh. I quite frustrated with this topic.
Not your fault at all.

My apologies.
Considering the history, I don't think we could ever blame you :) You're trying to keep the peace for us and if there's a slight trigger you want to swat it down. It's typical of an NTR thread. :)

TheKryptonian

Donor
Nov 22, 2018
yeh, now that I'm reading it again maybe it was a little too harsh. I quite frustrated with this topic.
Not your fault at all.

My apologies.
Ill take my slice of blame willingly.

I should have researched before bringing up the topic again so my apologies too.

I try to play every game that looks interesting on this site. As long as a certain that ill not mention content is said to be avoidable I give it a go. But it absolutely infuriates me when an alternate path is available and it doesnt seem to come to fruition it makes my blood boil a bit.

In this case patience is required and patience is not my strongest quality to be sure :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: wep
U

User_17502

You'd think so but as far as I know, normal .zip won't retain file permissions either, so really, switching from 7-zip won't help. What is normally done depending on the target (*nix or Mac) is to either:
a) Use tar first, which packages the files in a container that keeps the permissions safe, and then compress it with your method of choice (zip, 7z, etc).
b) For the Mac users, put the files in a disk image and use that as a safe container. It can either be compressed innately or you can compress it manually afterwards with zip. This method works best if the dev uses Mac themselves.

I just ran a test using the Mac version downloadable from Nopy and found the following:
  1. Using Unarchiver to decompress the .7z, I got a folder containing an app called CultureShock.app.
  2. Permissions inside the .app are set using the default which normally means read+write+execute (755) on folders you own and read+write (644) on files you own. This happens because the files/folders lost any assigned permissions during compression.
  3. Since you're missing execute-permissions on the files inside, the .app will error out if you try to run it, on my MacOS 10.12 (Sierra) that results in an error message saying "The application “CultureShock” can’t be opened.
  4. If execute-permissions are added using chmod or a tool like BatChmod you will then run into the next problem, ; since the game isn't signed using an approved certificate that Apple recognises the OS will prevent you from running the "mysterious" application.
  5. You can get around that by either changing the system-wide setting to allow applications from any source to be executed or you can specifically choose to sidestep gatekeeper by right-clicking the .app and choosing "Open" at the top of the context menu. Doing it that way gives you the option of opening the file anyway, see attached images. After bypassing Gatekeeper at least once for a particular .app, the quarantine-flag is removed and you can open it normally by double-clicking, without getting nagging Gatekeeper messages.

View attachment 263952

View attachment 263956

Having said that, there's one problem with the official release that I didn't notice at first. It errors out if you keep the included unren-files. (Or added your own):

Removing unren-dev.rpy and unren-dev.rpyc from the game folder lets you boot the game properly. I am not sure what causes that issue.

Edit: It seems like the renpy supportfiles (renpy-folder) have been updated between the releases, I'm guessing something there is incompatible with the unren-files.

Edit2: Confirmed theory by copying the game-folder from 0.8 to a previous version's folder. The game launches without errors, even with unren-dev in place.
Try this fix out for me.
If you replace these files it should fix the renpy crash problem. Regarding the other stuff I am going to break my head on that for a bit. XD

Jef17904

Dec 28, 2018

View attachment 263952

View attachment 263956

Thx fr the fix was not easy to find the right ren'py folder,.. works fine now ,...

3.30 star(s) 81 Votes