Mod D.M.D. 0.10/.11/.12/.13, Restore Quick & Autosaves, Save Timestamps, and Rollback features

maisbordeldemerde

La rabia del pueblo
Donor
Dec 19, 2016
Anyways, how does this look so far? Also, do the icons adequately convey to you which icons are for which points?
About your icons, in my opinion it'd prob be better to change the order or number attached to each of them from the actions you can do first and the ones you'll get to do along the story, eg the kissing action n°1, groping boobs n°2 and so on, and eventually the sharing icon as the last one I guess. Other than that it does look great to me.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Another minor update... with a new toy!

prototype-autoquicksave_wip3.jpg

So, the only changes from the last screenshot is that I made a little extra room on the left side of a screen so that I could squeeze in a slider bar.

Edit: More recent screenshot here, showing the delete buttons and the 'dead end' button:

prototype-autoquicksave_wip4.jpg

This is currently working ingame. Short form is that you can hit the single up/down arrow to jump back/forward 10 pages, double arrow to go back/forward 20 pages, or you can click anywhere on the slider bar to the left to find 'somewhere in the middle', sliding it up and down until you've hit the group of 10 pages you want.

I capped the number of pages at 200, or 0-199 (remember that you start with page 0, 'cuz Mr. Dots started his page count at 0).

Seriously, if anyone needs more than 2000 saves for this game... well I'll include instructions in the readme as to where the slider bar and maximum allowed page count numbers can be adjusted. Personally, I was good with 100 regular + 10 quick and 10 auto, but who knows, someone might want a bunch more save slots...

Yeah, this is probably minor overkill, but this mod is all about providing more options to make things easier for people!

BTW, I'll be re-using this save/load page layout in my own game when the time comes (with a different menu design of course). It came out pretty sweet!

-------------------------------------------------

Now I'm at the other hard part. That is adding the additional info to the save slots (comments, etc.). I also need to make a slight adjustment to the menu to 'better highlight' whether you are on the save or load screen.

I'm taking a break for a bit to get some rest and do some other stuff, then I"ll come back to this later today.

Edit: Updated screenshot. Delete buttons added and are functional. You can also see a 'dead end' button at the top of the page number picker now instead of double arrows, and also note the missing arrow in the next button, 'cuz you can't back up any farther. This is more important when you hit the last page (190-199), to let you know when the save pages end.

Edit 2: New screenshot:

wip5-autoquicksave.jpg

The text on top of the info buttons (day, corruption, friendliness, love) isn't being generated ingame yet, but this is how I plan for the extra info to be displayed. Also, note the 'caution' single arrow at the bottom of the save screen picker. This is to tell you that you are 1 page away from the maximum number of save pages.

I'm down to adding the last five things (the four variables I just mentioned, plus the click to edit save description field variable)... hopefully I can wrap my head around getting this data to 'take' using this interface.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gio

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Quick update on my progress.

So, I noticed that Mr. Dots implemented a 'change Dad or Daughter's name' feature, using the corruption level/portrait graphic. In my mod, I'm using that icon to bring up the relationship info screen, but in .11, you can click on that icon to bring up a screen that allows you to change the MC's or D's name.

This is a useful feature if you are feeling the need to change their names (say, if you are using someone else's save), so
I re-assigned this capability to the Friendliness & Love level icon immediately below. I've also added some 'hover text' to these icons, to make it more clear what happens when you click on either of these icons.

dmd_tooltip-hover_text_name.jpg
Note that I changed the 'love' spot to a heart, to tie it in with my save/load screen icons.

I THINK that I'm on the right track r.e. the additional save info as far as how to add it to my modified .10 interface, and will experiment with it a bit today. I need to be able to format the info appropriately (i.e. put the numbers on top of the right icons), and while it may not seem like it, I struggle with some of the RenPy coding, so this isn't intuitive to me. I'm learning new things about RenPy as I go along, which is one reason I don't mind doing mods like this one.

Reactions: drud and lazyharry

lazyharry

Modder
May 24, 2017
Looks very interesting, I like your work. What do you think, how long does it take, until a new release ?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Looks very interesting, I like your work. What do you think, how long does it take, until a new release ?
Well, to be honest, I was hoping I'd have a new updated version ready by now. I was also hoping to 'fulfill a request' from the Mr. Dot's discussion thread to make the save game descriptions editable at any point after you've saved a game, and to avoid a 'popup screen' every time you went to save a game. This comes into play for quicksaves, plus you don't want a window popping up every time an autosave is made in the background.

My idea is to have 'default text' which would say 'Click here to add comment' for all saves, but then you'd be able to click on the white box below the save screenshot and at that point you'd be able to enter information about the save.

I could just release what I have right now, as everything else is working fine, except for the new info fields aren't displaying/being used, but it would be incomplete. Sure, these are features that weren't there before .11, but some people (including myself) like that stuff, I'm just trying to improve upon it.

I'm down to just the save logic at this point, and trying to code it correctly for this design. I may have to 'settle' for something less than what I want, but am being stubborn of course and trying to make this a little more user friendly.

Edit: Minor progress update. I have the variables for corruption, friendliness, love, day, and description ingame now. Screenshot here:

newloadsave_ss_wip7.jpg
The description text, other than (no description) was entered using the 'vanilla' .11 version of DMD.

I still need to get the day variable to assign properly for existing saves as well as new saves (it's a simple text entry for now, which I used to align the text). Existing saves do not have a 'slot' assigned for day in the save info string, and I was hoping to be able to assign a 'Day ?', or better yet, the correct day, to that 'additional slot', but I haven't figured out the correct logic to check for this, in order to fill in the info as of yet.

BTW, The question marks you see above for corruption, friend, and love have all been assigned to the save descriptions of the existing saves from .10, along with the (no description) text.

I did try to assign the 'save slot number' variable to each thumbnail, but this didn't play nice with the auto and quicksaves, so I abandoned that. That is trivial information anyways. Plus there was 'weirdness' going on with slot 10 (it's actually slot 0), which I had to do some python jujitsu with to get all 10 auto and quicksave slots to appear properly.

I'd also like to do a 'check' for empty save slots, and remove the extra icons if the save is empty. That way, the icons aren't 'cluttering up' the empty save slots.

Right now I'm down to assigning the 'save' function the way I want it to work. Specifically, decoupling the save description from the save function so that you can edit the save description separately. I'm HOPING to make the textbutton which displays the save description appear to become the text editing field when you click on it, with the edited info replacing what was there before. Everything else is done at this point.

At least I'm closer to getting the new version (v6) done!

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I'm sooo close now!

newloadsave_ss_wip8.jpg
So this page is a random collection of older saves that I just barely resaved in my modified version of .11, in order to 'add in' the extra info. I've managed to get the 'Day' display implemented (will show as Day ? for older saves that aren't updated, as will the corruption friend, and love points).

I'm having issues with assigning comments to the saves however. I need to get the comments info to carry over to the save function. I inputted 80 or so characters here just to see how it would look (Mr. Dots capped it at 80, and I see no reason to change that number, as the section is already full).

I also haven't managed to get the 'click to edit save description' thing working quite yet. I'm close, though, I just need to try a few things.

Right now, saves work as they did before the 'popup' save description input screen arrived. Essentially the plan is to have you click save on the slot you want to save in as you did before. If it's in an empty slot, you'll simply see the screenshot appear, and then (hopefully) you'll then be able to hover over (or click on) the box immediately below to type in a description. If you fortet this step, the 'Click here to add comment' text would remain. An existing slot will ask for a confirmation, then you'll be back at the save screen at which point you can add a description if you wish.

I'd also like to clean up the 'merged' code a bit (for my sanity mainly), but that's something that can wait for a followup release.

Back to work!

Reactions: drud and Gio

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Another update:

So, I'm down to getting the save description code to 'take' properly. Here's another screenshot:

newloadsave_ss_wip9.jpg
Let me draw your attention to save slot 2. Note the text string that I am editing, shown in blue.

If you hover your mouse over the save description box, a cursor will appear at the end of the text. Simply hit backspace and then type in the new text.

What's SUPPOSED to happen next is you hit the green check box and the description is replaced. But I haven't coded the 'substitute text in save game description' variable properly, due to some complexities with how Mr. Dots is separating his variables. I've been fighting this since I started tackling the save/load screen (it's a Python thing), and have it mostly licked.

Anyways, once I get this last bit of coding done properly, I'll be done! Any chance we have some python gurus out there that wouldn't mind looking over my code? I may figure this last bit out myself, but I've been plugging away at this since Friday...

I'd also like to remove the icons from the empty save slots, but I haven't figured out how to 'not show those' on the empty slots as of yet.

Also, note that I added a 'load' icon in the upper left corner, to help differentiate between the load and save screens a bit more. How does this look guys?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
So, here's the issue I'm having...

So, with the load/save interface I've cobbled together (as seen immediately above), I can edit the text entry fields just fine. I can actually edit multiple ones on the load or save screen. They look all pretty when I'm done, and I can read them just fine. The fact that you can just hover over the entry to edit the text is pretty cool.

However, the millisecond I do anything else (leave the page, hit the 'confirm key', etc.), they reset to the 'old' entries...

Trying to figure this one out. I know that it's not defaulting to a 'default' entry, because I changed the 'default entry' text to be much shorter, but I'm still seeing the 80+ character text entries from before on the saves in question. I'm trying 'go between' varialbles now to see if I can get this to 'take'.

Hmmm, just hmmm...

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Update!

Sooo, I have the 'edit save names' thing working, just not the way I want.

The steps you'll need to follow for adding save description info:

1) Go to save screen
2) Hover over the save slot save description box, below the screenshot box (empty or full).
3) Erase current text (backspace), type in your new text
4) Hit the save screenshot box. Save will occur normally, with your new save text.

To edit a current save:
1) Go to load screen, load the save
2) Switch to save screen, hover over the save slot save description box
3) Erase current text (backspace), type in new text
4) Hit the save screenshot box. The 'Do you want to overwrite this save' screen will appear. Hit yes, and the save will have your updated text. If the other save info (day, stat levels) have ?, these values will update to the appropriate info.

You can edit quicksave description text in a similar manner.

I had hoped to have a checkbox to simply 'update' the save when you hit the checkbox, but I haven't managed to get that one to work, so I'll hide/comment out the checkbox for now. Maybe someone else can take a look at my code and come up with a solution.

I did manage to finally figure out how to hide the icons on the empty slots. The 'hover here to add comment' text will still show up, to gently remind you to enter something (if you so wish) as you are making a save. I had asked for help in a couple of places in order to try to figure this out, but no one stepped up, so I was pretty much on my own on this, rellying on google searches for a few things.

Here's a current screenshot, showing updated text for the saves, plus two empty slots so you can see how those look:

newloadsave_ss_wip10.jpg

I need to package the changes, make a minor graphics adjustment, test them on a clean install, then (assuming the test goes off without issues), I should have an updated package for y'all.

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Its DMD 11 Mod V6 release time!

OK, so I've done a test of this on a clean install, and after remembering to include the modified variables.py file (I forgot about modifying that one, needed to add a variable), it seems to be working nicely for me.

I did some subtle nudging of a few things, and made some other minor tweaks on the load/save screen that you probably won't notice (if you've been following the screenshots), in order to make a little more room for the text in the save description. I also bumped up the font size slightly on the save description.

The 'single up/down arrows' on the load and save pages now advance/back up the pages by 5, with the double arrows advancing them by 20. Or you can just use the scroll bar.

I updated the readme, and I THINK that I listed all of the gui related graphics that get replaced with this mod in the readme.

Screenshot time!

Ingame_ss_v11a..jpg

Note that I shaded the background on the Save screen to be more pink, in order to give you an additional visual cue when you are on the Save screen. Also, I increased the number of characters for save descriptions from 80 to 96 characters.

SaveScreen_ss_v11.jpg

The modified Config page hasn't really changed since this mod was first released, but I needed to nudge the menu down and to the right to match the other pages.

ConfigScreen_ss_v11.jpg

There's a new sound effect on the save and load pages, related to when you've hit the limits of the page list up and down buttons.

This update ended up being a LOT more work than I had planned on, thanks to the additions that Mr. Dots made to the .11 interface. Hopefully he doesn't overhaul the interface again for .12... Of course, if he wants to use this load/save page layout for .12, it won't hurt my feelings at all! I just like having 10 save slots per page, and the scrollbar thing is pretty cool!

Here are the steps you'll need to follow for adding save description info:

1) Go to save screen
2) Hover over the save slot save description box, below the screenshot box (empty or full).
3) Erase current text (backspace), type in your new text
4) Hit the save screenshot box. Save will occur normally, with your new save text.

To edit a current save:

1) Go to load screen, load the save
2) Switch to save screen, hover over the save slot save description box
3) Erase current text (backspace), type in new text
4) Hit the save screenshot box. The 'Do you want to overwrite this save' screen will appear. Hit yes, and the save will have your updated text. If the other save info (day, stat levels) have ?, these values will update to the appropriate info.

Note that you can edit Quicksave description text in a similar manner on the Quicksave page.

It might not be a bad idea to make a backup of your saves before using this mod. While I do plan to update this regularly, having some 'unmodified' saves just in case can't hurt. I've added the 'Day' variable to the save descripton info.

Anyways, without further ado, V6 file is attached! This is an initial release for v6 of this mod, so please report any issues that you may have here!

Last edited:
Reactions: muttdoggy

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
So, is this working OK for ya? Any issues?

Assuming no issues, I'll go ahead and update the OP with the new file in the next day or so.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Original post has been updated to V6. You guys have been unsually quiet, so I'm guessing no issues... no issues good!

privitude

Jun 26, 2017
Thank you so much for this! I save frequently, but there's nothing worse than getting really engrossed in a game, screwing up a choice, and then realizing you haven't saved in half an hour. Autosave FTW!

Aug 6, 2017
naïve question, do you have any walkthrough, it seems to end up at day 11, it is normal? I could only have pink point around 50, nothing more but touching her only.....so sad, probably is it not yet finished the development

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
naïve question, do you have any walkthrough, it seems to end up at day 11, it is normal? I could only have pink point around 50, nothing more but touching her only.....so sad, probably is it not yet finished the development
The game currently ends at Day 11. Mr. Dots generally includes one day in each new update.

The new version (0.12) will be released to Mr. Dot's patrons on August 18th, along with a walkthrough for 0.12. It'll become available to others sometime other than.

Assuming that I update this mod, I'll post up a new version sometime after that. The mod update for .11 required a bit of work due to the changes Mr. Dots made to the save framework, and he doesn't seem interested in something like this for his game.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
V12 time!

So, I made the necessary changes for D.M.D. 0.12. Essentially I needed to add a few lines of code and a graphic for Corruption Level 7.

Attached it the new .7z file. Instructions are the same as before (see readme).

Let me know if you have any issues! Assuming no problems, I'll update the OP in the next day or so.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, so I thought that I had posted this here, but I guess I forgot yesterday. V12 is working fine with DMD 0.13 for me. The files I modify weren't changed in the latest update, so V12 should work fine. Please report any problems you may have.

Another note. When resaving to a slot that doesn't have the 'Day' entry in the upper left corner, you also need to edit the text entry as well, otherwise you'll get a minor error and some gibberish in the save description. If this happens, simply type in the description again and resave the slot. Make sure to load that save first of course!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
pls give 13 day works save
If you are using my mod, let me see... I'm going to share the save I used before when I was troubleshooting the broken version of DMD .13 that was released earlier in the day yesterday, which is earlier in the day on Day 12... this is at the point when you can accept or reject Georgina in the office. Hopefully this will help you.

Someone really should start a DMD save thread archive, so that people can easily find saves on the various paths... this thread isn't really the appropriate place to do that.

Reactions: dreamlord666