Asrock B650E Steel Legend 209.99
7800x3d 349.99
Two year protection plan from Micro Center 139.99
Anti Sag Bracket 11.99
HDMI Cable for temporary monitor 14.99
Win 11 139.99

Total 3014.82
After tax, 3353.86

Methinks considering you got a 3070 and idk if you got it during pandemic or after that you are not aware of how prices have continued to increase.

Idk how you can call mine decent enough either. 4080 can do everything really, anything it can't do the 4090 can't really do either. Literally no one and no game needs 128 gb of ram. Ever, so if we're gonna compare that or your higher tier mobo it's not really a fair one as no video games need 128 gb or the QoL features on the highest end mobos. Neither will give you a performance boost if we had equal parts otherwise.

My rig is not just decent enough, it's about the best you can get for pure gaming these days. It has exactly the power needed for max 120 fps 4k in 99% of games out right now. The other 1% cripple a 4090 so there's no point in the extra power imo. 70% better doesn't matter if 70% more power still isn't enough. I'd change my mind if the 4090 was the 1000 dollar option, but at 2k plus it's not worth it to still not be able to play maxed out Cyberpunk or AW2 without using DLSS.
And there lies the difference between us. Your rig's basically a glorified gaming console, whereas i have other uses for mine.

:ROFLMAO:
Irl you pc cost 1k + 1k gpu + 1k show off
Harsh a bit. If throwing money splitting hair for that 0.003% extra makes user happy let user be happy. Some call it the placebo effect, some showoff, name it. But 32gigs of ram in 2024 is eh.... i'm sure 64gb at a decent rate could be had for not much more than the flashy 6000 kit. But hey, to each his own and i'm not any better. Instead of doing a simple timing belt job on my STi in 7000km, i went all in and built an EG33. Not all that much powerful. But i could. And it sounds orgasmic.

Aerrae

Apr 26, 2020
And there lies the difference between us. Your rig's basically a glorified gaming console, whereas i have other uses for mine.

Harsh a bit. If throwing money splitting hair for that 0.003% extra makes user happy let user be happy. Some call it the placebo effect, some showoff, name it. But 32gigs of ram in 2024 is eh.... i'm sure 64gb at a decent rate could be had for not much more than the flashy 6000 kit. But hey, to each his own and i'm not any better. Instead of doing a simple timing belt job on my STi in 7000km, i went all in and built an EG33. Not all that much powerful. But i could. And it sounds orgasmic.
That explains the ram.

You make it sound like a gaming PC is a bad thing. I have a company provided work laptop, I don't need my home PC for any work related tasks.
Idk what you mean by 0.0003% here though.

You do realize if you want an AM5 CPU that DDR5 Ram is mandatory right? And that it would be stupid of me to buy DDR5 RAM and then not run it at max MHZ yes? By all accounts, 6000 MHZ is pretty much the minimum unless you want to leave free performance on the table and not use AMD EXPO.

And again, for gaming your 128 GB ram would not do anything against my CPU/GPU combo, so surely you're not comparing our rigs? I'm not worried if you can beat me in productivity, I didn't build this system with maximum productivity in mind. For the purpose I built it, the only upgrade that would matter is a 4090 but as I discussed, that offers benefits in only a handful of games that it still cannot run adequately at their maximum.

Last edited:

2382dudubes

Mar 20, 2019
[...], the only upgrade that would matter is a 4090 but as I discussed, that offers benefits in only a handful of games that it still cannot run adequately at their maximum.
What games can it not run adequately at maximum? I am constantly playing the latest games, at 4k Ultra and have not encountered any such titles myself on my 4090.

Aerrae

Apr 26, 2020
What games can it not run adequately at maximum? I am constantly playing the latest games, at 4k Ultra and have not encountered any such titles myself on my 4090.
You're not playing Cyberpunk or Alan Wake 2 at maximum at 4k 120 FPS without use of DLSS. These are the only games neither card can run without DLSS if maximum settings are desired.

2382dudubes

Mar 20, 2019
You're not playing Cyberpunk or Alan Wake 2 at maximum at 4k 120 FPS without use of DLSS. These are the only games neither card can run without DLSS if maximum settings are desired.
Yea true but I still hover around 60fps even natively, or 80fps with highest qual DLSS (and 120fps with frame gen), which I would consider adequately.
At the end of the day, the 4090 is still ~26% faster, plus 50% more and faster VRAM, etc, I don't understand the argument you were trying to make in the first place.

Oct 10, 2017
That explains the ram.

You make it sound like a gaming PC is a bad thing. I have a company provided work laptop, I don't need my home PC for any work related tasks.
Idk what you mean by 0.0003% here though.

You do realize if you want an AM5 CPU that DDR5 Ram is mandatory right? And that it would be stupid of me to buy DDR5 RAM and then not run it at max MHZ yes? By all accounts, 6000 MHZ is pretty much the minimum unless you want to leave free performance on the table and not use AMD EXPO.

And again, for gaming your 128 GB ram would not do anything against my CPU/GPU combo, so surely you're not comparing our rigs? I'm not worried if you can beat me in productivity, I didn't build this system with maximum productivity in mind. For the purpose I built it, the only upgrade that would matter is a 4090 but as I discussed, that offers benefits in only a handful of games that it still cannot run adequately at their maximum.
Nah not at all. I'm just a little tired seeing as most everyone believes they need top tier everything today that's outdated by tommorow. Not only it's prohibitively expensive, but it also forces one to settle for a godlike setup that meets functional requirements (im not talking gpu here, but cpu/ram where it matters) today without taking what's it gonna be tommorow into the equation, leading to more useless spending and ultimately e-waste we can't afford to stack up too much of if we want to have a planet to call home in a thousand years. It's all marketing bs because it works. Instead of rushing out products knowing it's potential isn't even fully realized, things should be released in a few tiers, when the tech is mature, instead of 1r894rt3 different sku's just to scrape pennies by maybe selling a 100mhz lower binned sku.

It reminds me of Nvidia who used to wait after a new gen's release to announce the Titan model. why the fuck not just release it with the rest instead of having people who work hard for their income spend twice for the same shit, except as it should have been from the start?

Long rant i know. I'm just done with this corporate bullshit.

Reactions: evaw

mugijos95

Jun 7, 2020
Don't forget that with the exception of very specific kind of games (walking sims and cinematic heavy games), both 4k and raytracing are mostly just icing at best and at worse marketing bs... Let's take ther aforementioned Cyberpunk 2077 example, it had aded mighty RT options and is able to render even 4090's to their metaforical knees with max all, yet the game was broken at launch and everyone seem to have forgoten that with the exception of the DLC, the promises leading to the release were all lies... Shit!, I'm still waiting to my "life path" to have any meaningfull effect anywhere.

I'd say for the vast mayority of games that are not the previously mentioned games 1440p with 60~120 fps is more than enough... Unless you want to zoom in 400% into the enviroment instead of you know... Playing the game.

Zoonma

Apr 13, 2019
add ARK: Survival Ascended to that list. That game breaks comps, its the norm to cheat the ini files to just to be playable.

4.40 star(s) 14 Votes