Daz Daz Iray Rendering

jadarian

Aug 3, 2018
I just started to learn DAZ. I kinda learn many features but I have problem with rendering. When I render with Iray it seems too real. It is not bad thing bad rendering time takes too long. I see games around here. They look like cartoonish. I assume they are using different methods. You can see my example render. I used scene and camera optimizer. Still rendering time took 33 minutes 3.83 seconds render 5.png .

Note: I did render with 3delight but result is horrible. I look at the setting and tinkered a bit but nothing changed.
render 6.png

I need to make faster render in order to develop my game. It does not have to be look real. It can look like games from here. I really appreciate it any recommendations or tricks about render.

Reactions: rev2020

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Rendering in iray takes time, 30 minutes for such a scene isn't bad, it's actually pretty fast.
If you want not-so-realistic, but fast render, use HoneySelect or Koikatsu.

jadarian

Aug 3, 2018
Rendering in iray takes time, 30 minutes for such a scene isn't bad, it's actually pretty fast.
If you want not-so-realistic, but fast render, use HoneySelect or Koikatsu.
I was using Honey Select but I really wanted to learn Daz. But if it is normal or Daz, then development will take time.

rev2020

Oct 16, 2019
Use ghost lights/meshlights instead for faster rendering times but at the cost of lower reflections and an more washed out image.
photometric lights like spot lights takes longer.
it looks like you have a big spotlight at the camera here right?

To create an mesh light create a plane around 1x1m and change emission color to white
increase the lumens output.

see meshlights as soft lights
you can also skip all lights in the scene and only use an HDRi map
but then you need to remove the walls and ceiling

you have alot of glass in the scene here also
if you use caustic sampler with alot of glass shaders it will take longer.
disable caustic sampler for faster rendering times.

rev2020

Oct 16, 2019
3D delight LOL
its the same crappy quality as you get in Iray with just the texture viewport :)
which is done in 0 time.

rev2020

Oct 16, 2019
Btw you should be proud of that first Iray render
it looks really good.
90% of the Daz 3D users dont even know how to use lights on their characters which you have perfect here.
this is whats creates the 3D depth in the renderers and makes characters comes to life.
good lighting is the key.

if i should complain is that the white clothes clips details some.
to fix it lower the base color from 100% white down to around 80% white.
clothes will still look white but details gets better.

skin/eyes and hair is perfect.

Loys

Game Developer
Oct 19, 2018
I just started to learn DAZ. I kinda learn many features but I have problem with rendering. When I render with Iray it seems too real. It is not bad thing bad rendering time takes too long. I see games around here. They look like cartoonish. I assume they are using different methods. You can see my example render. I used scene and camera optimizer. Still rendering time took 33 minutes 3.83 seconds View attachment 1603642 .

Note: I did render with 3delight but result is horrible. I look at the setting and tinkered a bit but nothing changed.
View attachment 1603643

I need to make faster render in order to develop my game. It does not have to be look real. It can look like games from here. I really appreciate it any recommendations or tricks about render.
My quick tips:

1. Use camera with Depth of field. That would give you a blurry background, which is OK.

2. Use direct lights for the figures in the foreground. They give you faster result with less grain.

3. When you get a well lit figure in the foreground and a blurry background, then it's time to use the Intel/Nvidia Denoiser. It will remove noise from the image.

4. If after that the image is too blurry, then you can use Photoshop and overlay the processed image on the original with a transparency of 40-70%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
if you want a little faster render adjust max samples to 2500 or lower

alry.png

jadarian

Aug 3, 2018
Use ghost lights/meshlights instead for faster rendering times but at the cost of lower reflections and an more washed out image.
photometric lights like spot lights takes longer.
it looks like you have a big spotlight at the camera here right?

To create an mesh light create a plane around 1x1m and change emission color to white
increase the lumens output.

see meshlights as soft lights
you can also skip all lights in the scene and only use an HDRi map
but then you need to remove the walls and ceiling

you have alot of glass in the scene here also
if you use caustic sampler with alot of glass shaders it will take longer.
disable caustic sampler for faster rendering times.
Thanks for the tips. I have many spotlight at the scene, also camera headlamp is always on. Caustic sampler is "off" in this scene. But I will try to create mesh light. Let's see what happens.

jadarian

Aug 3, 2018
Turn it off, I dunno what render tut you watched but all of them say, there is never ever a time to turn it on.
Actually tutorials say always turn off but when the scene is black, I was turning it on. After a while I just leave it on. But I did not assume it will effect render time.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Actually tutorials say always turn off but when the scene is black, I was turning it on. After a while I just leave it on. But I did not assume it will effect render time.
Ctrl l will toggle the viewport lights on and off, they won't affect anything. The camera light makes your renders look washed out and overly lit with no shadows.

Reactions: rev2020

rev2020

Oct 16, 2019
Ctrl l will toggle the viewport lights on and off, they won't affect anything. The camera light makes your renders look washed out and overly lit with no shadows.
Rookie mistake :)
the first thing i do when i create a new camera is to turn off camera light.
otherwise as you say it wil mess up lighting.

CTRL + L
to turn ON lights in the scene not by turnining ON camera light

Reactions: mickydoo

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Rookie mistake :)
the first thing i do when i create a new camera is to turn off camera light.
otherwise as you say it wil mess up lighting.

CTRL + L
to turn ON lights in the scene not by turnining ON camera light
Make sure its off here too. 2022-01-19_14-39-01.png

Apr 18, 2021
Get "Camera Cutaway", it will save you loads of time. In simple terms, it hides everything the camera can't see to speed up render times. It is essential.

Reactions: Grap

rev2020

Oct 16, 2019
Get "Camera Cutaway", it will save you loads of time. In simple terms, it hides everything the camera can't see to speed up render times. It is essential.
post a renderer with that cheat and one without it and how much you save in rendering times

lets say you have an spotlight behind the camera
does this script hide the light from that spotlight?
if so you will have problems with alot of tweaks after to get lighting right.

get an RTX3090 and the problem is solved

Apr 18, 2021
post a renderer with that cheat and one without it and how much you save in rendering times

lets say you have an spotlight behind the camera
does this script hide the light from that spotlight?
if so you will have problems with alot of tweaks after to get lighting right.

get an RTX3090 and the problem is solved
These are special scripted Iray section planes.
The renders would look the exact same. This tool allows the light to either show or not show, there's an option. Seriously, the tool is AMAZING. Even with a 3090, shaving a couple minutes off each render is a godsend. For animations it seriously adds up!

The only limitation is if you're doing something with LOTS of reflections like a big mirror, chrome car or scifi scene it could cause problems.

rev2020

Oct 16, 2019
Even with a 3090, shaving a couple minutes off each render is a godsend.
i have a RTX 3090 and doing a renderer right now in 4K
2 hours has passed and its still grainy in the blurry background created by the cameras depth of field.
a few minutes here and there will not affect these rendering times ;)

for super sharp 4K indoor evening scenes with alot of lights.
expect 6-10 hours of rendering with an RTX 3090.

for one character and an HDRi map only
5 minutes of rendering is enough.

its an huge difference in what enviroment and how many lights you use.

2 hours rendering with the RTX3090 and counting ( 5 spotlights and two ghostlights is used in this scene)
2 hours rendering.jpg
i will let it bake for 5 more hours i think.
i can post the final result here after

this one was before and is finished
i think it was rendering for 8 hours
AGC 25.png

Last edited:

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
for super sharp 4K indoor evening scenes with alot of lights.
expect 6-10 hours of rendering with an RTX 3090.
That particular bar environment you're using is part of the problem here (looking past rendering with your headlamp on.), as it's particularly susceptible to becoming a noise trap due to the sheer amount of glass/reflective content within it. This will inherently make your renders longer every time. Try something with less glass in the scene/frame, like a bedroom or something of the sort and see how it goes.

6-10 hours is way too long, even for the slowest variant of a 3090. A big scene with multiple people in 4K takes me an hour, at most, on a regular 3080. You never need a lot of lights. You can make a regular indoor scene look great with a single spotlight and a couple ghost lights in logical places. The most spotlights I've ever used in a scene is 3 (key, fill, rim), 4 if you consider making a catchlight for the eyes a spotlight. The render below, as an example, has 3 ghostlights from above and a soft spotlight from the right. The ghost lights in this case both illuminate the room and give off something of a rim light effect. 22 and half minutes at 7500 iterations on a 3080, and it was probably done way before that, but I just let it render through since I was doing other things.

rjhome4.png

Btw you should be proud of that first Iray render
it looks really good.
90% of the Daz 3D users dont even know how to use lights on their characters which you have perfect here.
this is whats creates the 3D depth in the renderers and makes characters comes to life.
good lighting is the key.
I don't mean this as any offense towards the OP or their work, especially seeing as they're a beginner (everyone's been there) and are clearly trying, but that's hardly what I'd call perfect (expectedly). There's no depth or dynamics, or even color, as any lights that are there are being drowned out by the headlamp of the camera. The shadows created by said lights are what bring the depth and give life/interest to the render.

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece