Daz Daz only using RAM and CPU

GrimCreeper3

Oct 21, 2017
I have a GTX-1070 8-GB, 8-GB RAM and a Intel i7 6700k no overclocked. the animation im trying to render 77 frames at 60FPS. But every time I try to render the Daz seems to never even try to use the GPU it just makes the RAM and CPU do the work, and the which would take around 2 hours to complete with the CPU and RAM which isn't good for either of them.

The animation I'm trying to render

1597309688401.png

As you can see its a basic render 1 point of light, minimal reflections a simple walking animation but don't understand why daz wont use my GPU

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
It render well for an usual render? Or it always falls back on CPU?
Can you post a clean log file when it fall back?

(that said 2h for 77 frames seems more than correct)

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
First thing to try would be to create a simple scene using the basic G8F model, simple hair and only the face, perhaps in front of a white cube primitive. Similar to this tutorial video.

If that somewhat simplified render uses the GPU... then you at least know that Daz is correctly configured. If it isn't... there is an option under the render setting that says whether Daz can use the CPU(s), GPU(s) or both. It might be that somehow got borked at some point.

If the render DOES use the GPU for a "normal" render... then it's undoubtedly that your current scene is too complex and exceeding your 8GB of video RAM.

There are other threads that cover a lot more detail...
You might also want to take a look at...
https://f95zone.to/threads/scene-optimizer-mar-2019.9973/

Reactions: ernist

GrimCreeper3

Oct 21, 2017
It render well for an usual render? Or it always falls back on CPU?
Can you post a clean log file when it fall back?

(that said 2h for 77 frames seems correct)
It doesn't show that it falls back onto the CPU and RAM it just starts off rendering with the CPU and RAM and I only have the GPU selected

GrimCreeper3

Oct 21, 2017
Just ran another render and this time the CPU was running at 40% RAM 70% and GPU 20% not sure why the CPU is running more than the GPU

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
It doesn't show that it falls back onto the CPU and RAM it just starts off rendering with the CPU and RAM and I only have the GPU selected
let's get the stupid questions out of the way: how do you check if it uses gpu or cpu?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Does it do it (is that even english lol?) with any casual render or just that one?
A log file could be helpful as it show why and when it fall back.

help>troubleshooting>view log file
erase everything and save
load your save, wait for the fallback, cancel render, share the log file

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Here's the log
Like I said, it's using your gpu, taskmanager just doesn't show it.
and honestly 2 hours for 77 frames on a 1070 is fairly good, if it'd use the cpu instead it would take much longer.

Powerline75

Nov 7, 2019
Can you SLI on daz studio?
The true question is "Would it make a difference?". Yes, you "can" SLI, but it will not make ANY difference. The render engine will not see the two cards as one stronger card, it will see two distinct GPUs, and will use the one you told it to. In short, if you got two 1070s in SLI, with 8 Gigs of VRAM each, and, say, some 2000 cuda cores, Iray will not see the configuration, as a 4000 cuda cores, 16 Giga of VRAM single GPU, but two, 2000 cuda cores, and 8 Gigs of VRAM each, GPUs.
Is it a useless option? No, of course not. If your computer is more than a workstation for rendering, and your CPU and system RAM are poweful/large/fast enough for the scenario, you can let one GPU run the render, in the background, while the other, and most of the CPU juice, can be used to browse the web, or mess around to spare yourself the boredom, but, that's more or less what SLI for Iray can offer, at least as far as I am aware of.

GrimCreeper3

Oct 21, 2017
The true question is "Would it make a difference?". Yes, you "can" SLI, but it will not make ANY difference. The render engine will not see the two cards as one stronger card, it will see two distinct GPUs, and will use the one you told it to. In short, if you got two 1070s in SLI, with 8 Gigs of VRAM each, and, say, some 2000 cuda cores, Iray will not see the configuration, as a 4000 cuda cores, 16 Giga of VRAM single GPU, but two, 2000 cuda cores, and 8 Gigs of VRAM each, GPUs.
Is it a useless option? No, of course not. If your computer is more than a workstation for rendering, and your CPU and system RAM are poweful/large/fast enough for the scenario, you can let one GPU run the render, in the background, while the other, and most of the CPU juice, can be used to browse the web, or mess around to spare yourself the boredom, but, that's more or less what SLI for Iray can offer, at least as far as I am aware of.
How come Iray preview takes so long to produce a picture and yet octane can produce it in a couple of seconds

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
You could use any crappy card for that tho.

Powerline75

Nov 7, 2019
You could use any crappy card for that tho.
of course, but, in that case, you'd run into the driver conflict problems, that would make GPU rendering borderline impossible. You can't SLI two non-identical Nvidia models, and the same goes for AMD, for that matter.