DAZ renders for Beginners VN

Kaffekop

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
@MrKnobb

Okay ... I downloaded the 4.11 Daz, loaded a scene that takes 10.800 seconds to complete (3 hours). At that stage it reaches a quality that I can accept when I take the time rendered into account. This first image is made in 4.10, just to clarify.
This is how it looks like: Test - 10800.jpg
Notice the small hairs on his chest and his legs.
Now I ramped up that Luminosity to 400 (not that it did anything other than add some extra light as can be seen i the next image). I also started the Denoiser thingie and let it kick in at 1.000 iterations.
This one I let render for 5.400 seconds and it looks like this: Test - 5400.jpg
The hairs are still visible and at half the time it usually takes. That's a big win but why stop there?

This one stopped rendering at 3.600 seconds and it looks like this: Test - 3600.jpg
I'm hard pressed to see any difference between the 10.800 iteration image and this one. That Denoiser works wonders. But why stop there?

This one is stopped at 1.800 seconds and looks like this: Test - 1800.jpg
Now I believe that I can see the hairs being washed out and they are much less prominent, but the overall image is still as crisp as at 10.800 seconds - to my eyes at least. But why stop there?

This is the last one at it stopped at 900 seconds: Test - 900.jpg
The hairs are gone but the overall image is still as crisp as the one at 10.800 seconds - again to my eyes at least.

Daz 4.11 is going to rock the boat when it comes to render times vs. quality. I'm not done testing this feature, but from the looks of it the time saved rendering these images in the long run is going to be amazing!

@mickydoo
Checked out your render blog, and may I say that Akari and Malina are just ... wow! I especially love Akari - probably because I haven't been able to create someone like that myself. And I've tried!
very fine work.

Cheers - Kaffekop

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Ive done two different of 30 frames anims each in less than 6hrs. That is flying and the quality is way better still than 4.10 12hrs

Jackboo1

Aug 26, 2017
Are you guys saying 4.11 Beta is faster? I'm not sure if I'm gonna install the beta version tho. Any news about the final release?

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
@MrKnobb I cannot thank you enough, your render settings and lights have solved my issues, its brilliant. Ive got it set on 250 iterations just to test things, I stopped this 40% through (8 minutes), I can only imagine what it will be like after 500.
@Kaffekop Thank you very much
jade hall.png

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Great to hear ...

Also remember that asset you using may be a nice fast render one.. so when another render takes long it may just be that the asset you using is just that... takes longer to render.

I am glad it worked.

Jackboo1

Aug 26, 2017
I just installed the 4.11 Beta and didnt see any different on render times. Maybe it could be related to other types of lighting, gpu or less complex scenes. I like to use LI Incandescent for my renders, focusing only on lighting of the characters, so it blended with the scene lighting. I noticed only some small changes on the hair and slightly less noise.

DAZ 4.10 (10m render)

DAZ 4.11 (10m render)

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
You're the first person i've seen not seeing any improvement wrt daz 4.11. I think you broke it lol.

Jackboo1

Aug 26, 2017
New test with the NY Penthouse, which is one of the most demanded scene I tested on DAZ, and it already have pre defined lights.

Settings: GPU (G1 GTX 1080) Only with OPA, Max Samples 30k, Max Time 300s (5 minutes for each render), RQE disabled, Filtering > Mitchell 1.5 default, Nominal Luminance 500, Environment > Scene Only (defaults)... other options all default

DAZ_4.10_30k_300seconds - No Nominal Luminance - 5m render

DAZ_4.10_30k_300seconds - Nominal Luminance 500 - 5m render

Scene_DAZ_4.11Beta_30k_300seconds - No Nominal Luminance - 5m render

Scene_DAZ_4.11Beta_30k_300seconds - Nominal Luminance 500 - 5m render

As you can see, Nominal Luminance reduces the noise level in the scene indeed, but it results in a slightly less sharpening image.

Again, I haven't seen any improvement in render times, since the images are at practically similar levels. I've tested using Genesis 8 models, 1kto2k MS, with the same results. Actually, I'm not looking for faster renders here, I was just curious about the version being more optimized in this regard, which for me it had no difference at all.

In fact, I like to extract the highest quality possible from my renders. When I render a scene, I use 30k to 40k for MS, Max Time with 14400 (4 hours), and CPU (I7) limited to 5 threads for DAZ process. :biggrin:

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Also don't overlook the surfaces tab. Glossy surfaces have a lot more noise and take longer to render. Turning down the index of reflection or making it a diffuse object will save you some render headaches

mannitt

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
@Jackboo1 Was curious about the issues you're having getting the beta to seem faster. I'm not sure how long you're use to rendering or how many iterations you usually get to but with Denoiser the beta ones should've had a lot less noise. So I decided to test.
I used the same scene as you and tried to position the camera roughly the same. Now I used Sun Sky for the outside lighting. I know darker scenes can be a little more difficult. For a basic comparison. The lighter scene works.
I have an i7-8700k, 1070, 64gb ram. So my GPU is a little less then yours. From my experience with Denoiser you need to do a few more iterations then maybe your use to but it comes out much better then if you let it go even more without the Denoiser.
The first image is with 4.10 Max Samples 2000 Max Time 10000. It took 19 minutes. These are the same settings as 4.11 but there isn't Denoiser.
NYPenthouse_4_10_MaxSamples2000_MaxTime10000_19mins.jpg

There is a lot of noise in this. Not something I'd ever use.

4.11 Beta Max Samples 2000 Max Time 10000 Denoiser at 1500. It took 15 minutes
NYPenthouse_4_11_MaxSamples2000_MaxTime10000_Denoiser1500_15mins.jpg

When the Denoiser kicked in almost 4 mins earlier then 4.10. It cleared all or mostly all the noise.
Also for reference. Both of these images were rendered at 1080. No down sampling was done. If I had rendered at 2k or 4k. There'd be an even more drastic difference between the two images.
So in my opinion the beta for the moment is better than 4.10. It is also the most stable beta I've used so far.

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
Hi All

.:Lataz:.
So the interesting thing. I've been trying your settings and the ILPK. I knew most of that already, but a I picked up a couple tips from you that helped speed up my renders. Thanks you for that.

The one thing that didn't work for me is the ILPK. For some reason it slows my renders way down. Which I find odd because others report an increase in speed. What seems to work best for me so far is multiple planes with the uber shader applied, and the lum turned up to at least 1m then compensate for the big light bath with the exposure turned down. This seems to light up my rooms really well, and speed up my renders.

The Mesh lights also worked really well for me. Don't what the difference is, but at least I found some kind of lighting that works fast.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Brilliant.. As i have said it's only what i have found to work. Others may have different ideas or advice. If you have something that you found works better then use it and as you have done you shared it here.

So the interesting thing. I've been trying your settings and the ILPK. I knew most of that already, but a I picked up a couple tips from you that helped speed up my renders. Thanks you for that.

The one thing that didn't work for me is the ILPK. For some reason it slows my renders way down. Which I find odd because others report an increase in speed. What seems to work best for me so far is multiple planes with the uber shader applied, and the lum turned up to at least 1m then compensate for the big light bath with the exposure turned down. This seems to light up my rooms really well, and speed up my renders.

The Mesh lights also worked really well for me. Don't what the difference is, but at least I found some kind of lighting that works fast.

Reactions: Chatterbox

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Ok so here's another tip for those who get the dreaded 100%CPU usage when looking in Task Manager/Performance and your whole PC slows down and render times increase.

If it happens try this.

1. stop render
2. select the CPU options in Render/advance settings
3. save file
4. close
5. wait for DAZ to completely stop by checking in your Task Manager
6. open DAZ
7. dont load your scene rather untick CPU options
8. close DAZ
9. open DAZ and open file and render

It's as if DAZ builds up cache and do not release it. Ive used Memory dump scripts but dont really seem to help. I can render many images at a time and then suddenly load a new one and bam slow down. That is when I do above and all is peachy again.

Use it or don't

Aeilion

Jun 14, 2017
In any case at home the 4.11 uses more gpu memory than the 4.10 (Denoiser activated or not).
This is a problem when working a little on the limit. A scene with 3 characters works well in 4.10 but not at all in 4.11 (at least for me with my 1060).
Impossible for me to work like that. I hope it is only the beta side of this version otherwise it will become boring for some people.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Did you update vs4.11 to latest update?
IF so then you damaged you vs of 4.11 not knowingly. If you have updated it latest then pm(message) me as your card is fine i have same card or atleast the 6B version. Trust me 4.11 is way better than 4.10 and should work fine with 3 chars

In any case at home the 4.11 uses more gpu memory than the 4.10 (Denoiser activated or not).
This is a problem when working a little on the limit. A scene with 3 characters works well in 4.10 but not at all in 4.11 (at least for me with my 1060).
Impossible for me to work like that. I hope it is only the beta side of this version otherwise it will become boring for some people.