3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
That is an awesome fog effect; what did you use to do it? Absolutely perfect use of the lights in the distance; fantastic atmosphere (literally!).
Hey,

Thank you very much! You know, I came up with this render mainly as an excuse to test iRay's and ground fog features, that you can find at the bottom of the list of parameters under Render settings>Environment. But the truth is that in the end, I only applied matte fog to the farthest buildings in the background. The more immediate fog you see is achieved by using an old technique for the creation of atmosphere by the use of volumes, light and refraction. It's not actually complicated to get a decent result. You only need to follow few simple enough steps. Sickleyield summed up the basics .

As for the lighting of the scene, it's quite simple as well. The set I used (Old Victorian Street) includes a materials preset for night scenes that I used here. It lits up the street lamps and some windows. I also used a night sky with moon for the HDRI. Although it added very little light to the scene, actually. I chose not to draw the dome for the scene. In order to simulate the night sky I simply used a near black backdrop. The rest of the light comes from a fill light, located behind the camera, with very large geometry (rectangle), cool temperature light (10000K) and very wide spread. All of it to diffuse the light very much. I also tweaked the tone mapping a bit to meet the criteria. Finally, I also used Daz Studio's bloom a little bit to add some punch to the lights.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes