3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

CHAQUINN0

Yesterday's Crossroads Developer
Game Developer
Oct 29, 2021
LIGHTING ISSUE.

I'm using spot lights, as I usually use ghost lights, but wanted to see how well I could get the skin to look with slight shadows.
The shadow on the right (on the woman's leg) is what I want. The annoying shadow line on the guy's ass is super annoying and looks shite. Can anyone throw me a bone!? Explain to me why the shadow line on his ass doing that!? Looks awful.

View attachment 4069795 View attachment 4069796 View attachment 4069797
This is how it is really, you need to configure the spotlight to fit what you want to accomplish. Try changing the geometry to something like a rectangle and lower the height and width, you may get smoother results this way.

Reactions: BlenderGuy

BlenderGuy

Nov 17, 2023
This is how it is really, you need to configure the spotlight to fit what you want to accomplish. Try changing the geometry to something like a rectangle and lower the height and width, you may get smoother results this way.
You mean the shape of the spotlight source from point to something else? Maybe I should just stick with the usual plane emissives. Just felt like I was coping out by not at least messing with spotlights.

CK/3D

Nov 19, 2023
BlenderGuy

Exactly this, change the spotlight from a point source to a rectangle and change the size to 100x100, ramp up them lumens. Nice diffused shadows.

CHAQUINN0

Game Developer
Oct 29, 2021
This is the lighting I want, it's perfect with her leg and cheek. Natural, subtle and really enhances the image, making it realistic. Lovely work.

Thank you! :love:

I don't like using spotlights for general images, only if I want sharp shadows or some kind of VDB effect. What I always use is a mix of an HDRI and an emissive surface, it all depends on the environment.

For this one in particular, it was pretty much the HDRI illuminating the general area and a stronger emissive surface for a smoother mix of light and shadows coming from the top.

Untitled.jpg

Not too long ago I made a quick tutorial of sorts in my Patreon page on how I do my lighting. You can check it out if you want, it's a free post:

Last edited:

BlenderGuy

Nov 17, 2023

I don't like using spotlights for general images, only if I want sharp shadows or some kind of VDB effect. What I always use is a mix of an HDRI and an emissive surface, it all depends on the environment.

For this one in particular, it was pretty much the HDRI illuminating the general area and a stronger emissive surface for a smoother mix of light and shadows coming from the top.

View attachment 4069962

Not too long ago I made a quick tutorial of sorts on my Patreon page on how I do my lighting. You can check it out if you want, it's a free post:

Thanks so much, this is really helpful.I can't believe how small the cross sectional area of the plane is. I pretty much create a 4m square at times lol. One on the floor, one perp to the subject and one at 45 degrees in the air. I made up my own bombastic light system to blast at all angles lol.

• Red Heart
Reactions: CHAQUINN0

CK/3D

Nov 19, 2023

View attachment 4069962

Not too long ago I made a quick tutorial of sorts on my Patreon page on how I do my lighting. You can check it out if you want, it's a free post:
Nice, this is new to me - thanks for the tip.

On another note - what asset is this, she is gorgeous

BlenderGuy

Nov 17, 2023

View attachment 4069962

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 18.31.37.png

You use the script to hide the emissive as well?

Also make it non reflective by raising the Iray ghost light factor as well?

I'm also mentioning this as I was only told about it myself recently. There was an old "hack" before this script was made available on the Daz forum.

CHAQUINN0

Game Developer
Oct 29, 2021
Thanks so much, this is really helpful.I can't believe how small the cross sectional area of the plane is. I pretty much create a 4m square at times lol. One on the floor, one perp to the subject and one at 45 degrees in the air. I made up my own bombastic light system to blast at all angles lol.
Yeah, if you make it too big it will "explode" and become too bright, instead you can keep it small and only increase the Luminance.

Nice, this is new to me - thanks for the tip.

On another note - what asset is this, she is gorgeous
Do you mean the room?
That one is . The girl's base model is , plus a lot of other modifications :ROFLMAO:
Her hair is Hair.

Last edited:

CHAQUINN0

Game Developer
Oct 29, 2021
View attachment 4070017

You use the script to hide the emissive as well?

Also make it non reflective by raising the Iray ghost light factor as well?

I'm also mentioning this as I was only told about it myself recently. There was an old "hack" before this script was made available on the Daz forum.
Actually, no. I usually leave them as they are since the white surface tends to also reflect on other objects which can leave a nice reflection effect

• Red Heart
Reactions: BlenderGuy

BlenderGuy

Nov 17, 2023
Actually, no. I usually leave them as they are since the white surface tends to also reflect on other objects which can leave a nice reflection effect
Since I realised to mess with newer shaders with assets, I realised some of the older assets I used were acting weird whenever I used emissive planes. I need to spend more time tweaking with what I use.

I also now realise the plane emissives which I created were way too big after seeing the ones you make.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes