daz3d character animations. where do i start?

Nov 4, 2023
Hello guys,
I want to start doing "3d" animations for daz3d characters(gen 8,9 etc), I want to know which software is easy or best for animations that imports daz3d characters etc.
I've heard about Iclone, maya, blender etc. Can someone point me in best direction.
Dont worry about it being tough/hard, I'm a fast learner, and I dont expect to learn in days and all ,i know it takes time. but i want to start in the best way possible.
the question is which software that supports daz3d would lil easy/best to start?

PTGames

Developer of Lunar's Chosen
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 17, 2018
Blender is probably the best animation tool to learn and can handle importing and exporting Daz things pretty well.

Although if you know Daz already, then it could be worth learning to animate in Daz. It's one of the worst programs to learn animation in, but does save a lot of fucking around transferring things between programs and keeps things consistent. That said, I only do basic animations, nothing particularly complex, so if you're doing more complex work, I can't say if it'd be worth swapping to another program or not.

Drooskati is far better at animations that me, they might be able to help.

Reactions: woody554
Nov 4, 2023
Blender is probably the best animation tool to learn and can handle importing and exporting Daz things pretty well.

Although if you know Daz already, then it could be worth learning to animate in Daz. It's one of the worst programs to learn animation in, but does save a lot of fucking around transferring things between programs and keeps things consistent. That said, I only do basic animations, nothing particularly complex, so if you're doing more complex work, I can't say if it'd be worth swapping to another program or not.

Drooskati is far better at animations that me, they might be able to help.
Thank you for the reply, Yeah i heard daz was bad compared to other that's why i was asking IF not daz then which, and I'll look into blender too. transferring files is ok if it gives good results.
Will the mentioned Dev reply? or should I pm them?

PTGames

Developer of Lunar's Chosen
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 17, 2018
They'll reply if they want too, might be busy, just be patient :)

Drooskati

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2020
Wow these are just awesome, and you did all these in daz3d? geez, could you point me any tutorial direction or just anything which could help me create animations, some tips or advice maybe? thank you for replying tho...
This is a stream I did a while back, showing the full process of creating one of my animations, as well as the different ways to do it.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
the animation problem in daz is that the pinning doesn't hold (you pin a foot in place, move a hand, foot can move in a crazy way or rotate 360 etc). you can get over it but it just sometimes gives you lot of grief and fidgeting. you can also strategize your way out of it by leaving that spot out of camera so it's not visible if a foot or hand moves a little.

the problem with blender is that transfering back n forth isn't as easy as sounds and there can be problems. also blender UI is just super confusing and takes looots of time to learn. but after you do, it's equally powerful (that's why it's so complicated) and you can do absolutely anything, so definitely worth it.

whether your animating will be any good has nothing to do with either one, but learning the principles of animation. if someone's animation on daz looks shit it'll look shit anywhere else as well.

all three aspects have a massive amount of tutorials on youtube so just go nuts.

Nov 20, 2023
I would try Cascadeur. I plan to learn animation at some point, and Cascadeur is currently at the top of my list. It has importers for a lot of other apps, including Daz, though I haven't tested any of them. If Cascadeur doesn't work out, my second choice is Blender.

Nov 4, 2023
the animation problem in daz is that the pinning doesn't hold (you pin a foot in place, move a hand, foot can move in a crazy way or rotate 360 etc). you can get over it but it just sometimes gives you lot of grief and fidgeting. you can also strategize your way out of it by leaving that spot out of camera so it's not visible if a foot or hand moves a little.

the problem with blender is that transfering back n forth isn't as easy as sounds and there can be problems. also blender UI is just super confusing and takes looots of time to learn. but after you do, it's equally powerful (that's why it's so complicated) and you can do absolutely anything, so definitely worth it.

whether your animating will be any good has nothing to do with either one, but learning the principles of animation. if someone's animation on daz looks shit it'll look shit anywhere else as well.

all three aspects have a massive amount of tutorials on youtube so just go nuts.
Thank you for the info, Well most use blender I've seen. I'll look into it , thank you again.

Nov 4, 2023
I would try Cascadeur. I plan to learn animation at some point, and Cascadeur is currently at the top of my list. It has importers for a lot of other apps, including Daz, though I haven't tested any of them. If Cascadeur doesn't work out, my second choice is Blender.
What about iClone?

Nov 20, 2023
What about iClone?
That's a very good question - Reallusion deserves to be included right next to Cascadeur and Blender (I've found Maya practically impossible to Yaar/Avast Matey, otherwise I'd include that, too). I have iClone and CC; I haven't used them much, but they were easy to use. It was a breeze to generate a character and start throwing mocap on top of it. There are a lot of cool tools available that I haven't tried. The down side is that if you're paying, it can be quite expensive. They also run kind of slow on my rig (but I need a new rig). I want to give them a go alongside Blender and Cascadeur.

Nov 4, 2023
That's a very good question - Reallusion deserves to be included right next to Cascadeur and Blender (I've found Maya practically impossible to Yaar/Avast Matey, otherwise I'd include that, too). I have iClone and CC; I haven't used them much, but they were easy to use. It was a breeze to generate a character and start throwing mocap on top of it. There are a lot of cool tools available that I haven't tried. The down side is that if you're paying, it can be quite expensive. They also run kind of slow on my rig (but I need a new rig). I want to give them a go alongside Blender and Cascadeur.
I'll start with iClone i guess, idk if the import/export is easy and all but I'll it first if it feels a lil easy then I'll stick with it. or I'll have to find other methods ig, thanks for the reply,I'll update you after i use it and tell you about it.

Nov 20, 2023
The next thing I want to try with Reallusion is autorigging Daz figures and seeing how that turns out; I used the recommended workflow for importing Daz figures (I forget the nomenclature) and found it unsatisfactory - it converts the character to Reallusion standards and ruins them for anything adult-oriented (messes up the geometry in the crotch, basically).

Reactions: forbiddenfables1
Nov 4, 2023
The next thing I want to try with Reallusion is autorigging Daz figures and seeing how that turns out; I used the recommended workflow for importing Daz figures (I forget the nomenclature) and found it unsatisfactory - it converts the character to Reallusion standards and ruins them for anything adult-oriented (messes up the geometry in the crotch, basically).
what mocap do you use? and do you know any tutorials where they use it on daz characters? or any tuts on making adult scenes?