Dear Devs, Visual Novels need proper English!

pastiche

Feb 8, 2020
My "problem"
Who is this quoting?

he implies that it's as simple as asking/DM someone here and that someone will translate/proofread the game for free without any problem
He does, but his main point is that the dialogue is just as important as the graphics, which is true in the case of VNs. That came off more as pleading than a major point. I said this before, but in the case of most VNs on dlsite they rarely make it out of japan in this case expecting a translation is pretty dumb, in nearly every other case I agree with OP.

Besides that, some devs here mentioned that even after paying for proofreading, some people still find and complain about grammar/typos. Devs could invest money on it, but they also could invest money on a better PC to make better/faster render, or they could invest in hire someone to help him
Translation fees for a VN are something like 1/100th of a cent per moji, it's a fairly saturated line of employment and yes while they do generally suck I guarantee you it's leagues better than MTL. If we're talking someone translate something from Russian or some Eurasian language into English the rates would be higher, but if we're working with Japanese, French, Spanish, the rates aren't ridiculous. The majority of VNs are Japanese, so I tend to consider those more. Translation is a minor expense compared to the others you've listed off, if you're making that kind of dosh from donations to afford a team and better equipment you could have had a translation for a fraction of the price yesterday. Also, bear in mind that many devs just don't buy any of what you listed, it's become a common trend for them to just put minimal effort and string people along with PR while reaping donations t. Yanderedev.

or they could invest in nothing because most devs do this because it's fun and not because the want to go full bussines and make investments as if they were a company.
If it's a dev who doesn't collect donations then I don't care, they can do what they want, however if they do they should recognize the people who wanted to give them their paycheck/bennies/blood money/whatever and at the very least apart from compromising their vision make their work accessible to the people they solicit. If the work in question isn't a VN getting a translation isn't a big deal, but for a VN the product is the story itself, even if you don't want to work like an art studio it's such a minor expense and worth allocating some of your donations into.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Who is this quoting?

He does, but his main point is that the dialogue is just as important as the graphics, which is true in the case of VNs. That came off more as pleading than a major point. I said this before, but in the case of most VNs on dlsite they rarely make it out of japan in this case expecting a translation is pretty dumb, in nearly every other case I agree with OP.

Translation fees for a VN are something like 1/100th of a cent per moji, it's a fairly saturated line of employment and yes while they do generally suck I guarantee you it's leagues better than MTL. If we're talking someone translate something from Russian or some Eurasian language into English the rates would be higher, but if we're working with Japanese, French, Spanish, the rates aren't ridiculous. The majority of VNs are Japanese, so I tend to consider those more. Translation is a minor expense compared to the others you've listed off, if you're making that kind of dosh from donations to afford a team and better equipment you could have had a translation for a fraction of the price yesterday. Also, bear in mind that many devs just don't buy any of what you listed, it's become a common trend for them to just put minimal effort and string people along with PR while reaping donations t. Yanderedev.

If it's a dev who doesn't collect donations then I don't care, they can do what they want, however if they do they should recognize the people who wanted to give them their paycheck/bennies/blood money/whatever and at the very least apart from compromising their vision make their work accessible to the people they solicit. If the work in question isn't a VN getting a translation isn't a big deal, but for a VN the product is the story itself, even if you don't want to work like an art studio it's such a minor expense and worth allocating some of your donations into.
I don't get the first part. I mean, I was quoting you, I was (and am) replying to you, because you started by saying "I think a lot of people are misunderstanding OP" and then you said what you think he was saying and your opinion about it and then I replied my "problem" with what I think he was saying and what he isn't having in mind while saying it.

You didn't get my point. I know that a lot of people don't invest on any of the things, they could, it's up to them, but most of them don't do it. My point is that they could do it, but they aren't forced to do it.

By the way I'm saving to get some LNs translated from JP to EN and I can tell you that Japanese is one of those ridiculously expensive languages, but translation from JP to EN or ES/RU/BK/whatever to EN isn't the point here. The point here was that 1) it isn't as simple and fast as DM someone 2) even paying for a translation/proofread doesn't guarantee a solution for the problem.

Another point, now based on your and other comments, is that 3) if devs prefer to go with their own Engrish or MTL, that's up to them because it's their game and they can do whatever they want with them and getting money for it doesn't change that fact. The main reason why people try this as a job is because it's a fun job, so they want to have fun instead of getting serious and do things just because they are/feel forced as if they were working for someone else trapped in some shitty office. Patreon isn't a contract about things improving or getting better. Patreon isn't and investment site to expect a return of your money in quality/products/etc, it's just a big "Hey, cool game, here's a 20, have a nice day".

javikaston

Game Developer
Oct 25, 2019
My humble opinion is if you are going to take the time to make a vn and English isn't your first language then do the vn first in your native language and then search for a translator that can help you out