• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Amhran

Mar 22, 2022
I don't see why that's a concern
I can't mod when the files aren't local (this in of itself is a deal-breaker for me, because I do like making tweaks to various things, or combining mods that weren't designed to be combined, some of which I have even mentioned or shown in this thread). I can't evaluate new versions and decide when or whether I want to update. I'm reliant on a website staying up to be able to continue to serve me whatever version of the game I'm playing, and anyone who was a fan of the popular-not-that-long-ago World Expansion mod should tell you that's not always such a great idea (and never mind all the other modders over the years who have gotten mad over something stupid and removed all links/access to their mods over it). No internet? Can't play it. Just the general concept of not owning your own files and being able to play whenever you'd like at any point in the future no matter what the future might hold for the game or for whatever mods you're using seems untenable to me, and I've been quite steadfast in refusing to even try any mods that aren't available to download locally. None of this is to even mention any privacy concerns...I can download the game just once over a VPN, but having to always run the game over a VPN every time I want to play it would be a major pain in the ass, especially when it's in your browser. Most of these issues aren't even really specific to DoL: I'm simply uninterested in the whole "online only" experience of games that don't need to be online only. Clearly, none of these things would be important to someone who does play the game online, otherwise they would not be doing so, but as you said, you do you.

Last edited:
Reactions: KekKoo and ViviX12

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
I can't mod when the files aren't local (this in of itself is a deal-breaker for me, because I do like making tweaks to various things, or combining mods that weren't designed to be combined, some of which I have even mentioned or shown in this thread). I can't evaluate new versions and decide when or whether I want to update. I'm reliant on a website staying up to be able to continue to serve me whatever version of the game I'm playing, and anyone who was a fan of the popular-not-that-long-ago World Expansion mod should tell you that's not always such a great idea (and never mind all the other modders over the years who have gotten mad over something stupid and removed all links/access to their mods over it). No internet? Can't play it. Just the general concept of not owning your own files and being able to play whenever you'd like at any point in the future no matter what the future might hold for the game or for whatever mods you're using seems untenable to me, and I've quite steadfast in refusing to even try any mods that aren't available to download locally. None of this is to even mention any privacy concerns...I can download the game just once over a VPN, but having to always run the game over a VPN every time I want to play it would be a major pain in the ass, especially when it's in your browser. Most of these issues aren't even really specific to DoL: I'm simply uninterested in the whole "online only" experience of games that don't need to be online only. Clearly, none of these things would be important to someone who does play the game online, otherwise they would not be doing so, but as you said, you do you.
For me it's just a collection aspect. I like having things put down on a shelf, in a way. Even those I never return to. And yeah the idea of having to rely on a website to stay up is unappealing as well.

quadangle

Apr 10, 2022
you can download from the dolmods site though, that's an offline version
also, if you don't want to play dolplus but want the graphics mods, just download the ones you want from and take the img folder

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 174 Votes