DEVs - Rig rundown

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Thx bro...

Thing is or rather RTP pays' for the PC upgrades and I am not goign to use my personal money for it. So i have to save up to be able to upgrade. BUT problem is i have ot buy overseas which means shipping/import duties extra. Also i doubt one can buy a 1080Ti new anymore so only option for me is a RTX2080Ti then.
What i wanted to know is, if i get a similar 6GB card and with my current 6GB will it help or rather bite the bullet and get a 1 x 2080Ti later? No way i can afford 2 x Ti cards

1080ti and a 2080ti
ryson 7
48 GB
and its too early i cant remember the rest lol.

I am going to be slowly saving up for a new rig now since im about to hit my next goal that i have been striving to hit for the last 6 or so months so in a few more months I want another with 2 2080ti's so i can do my animations at a higher quality but also have it setup with as much ram as possible for out of core rendering in octane, its slower than just on the gpu's but still way damn faster than cpu in iray.

Knobb for DA i did everything from 0.9 on with a 1080ti and a 1060 with 6GB. You will notice a massive improvement with just a single added 1080ti.

I'm just going nuts now and animating tons of stuff so the extra rig will help with that.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Thx bro...

Thing is or rather RTP pays' for the PC upgrades and I am not goign to use my personal money for it. So i have to save up to be able to upgrade. BUT problem is i have ot buy overseas which means shipping/import duties extra. Also i doubt one can buy a 1080Ti new anymore so only option for me is a RTX2080Ti then.
What i wanted to know is, if i get a similar 6GB card and with my current 6GB will it help or rather bite the bullet and get a 1 x 2080Ti later? No way i can afford 2 x Ti cards
Two 1060 6GB mean double power in rendering but still 6 Gigs so your scene must be 6 gigs max of size. That is all.

Reactions: Nottravis

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Thx bro...

And one thing I was forgot If you will have in your system 1060 6 GB + maybe 1080ti 11GB it will work together, but scene never may oversize 6Gigs. If it will system again jump to CPU rendering and you will need manually disable 1060 in Daz and render again using just that one 1080ti with 11gigs.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Isn't it much simpler to get a Radeon VII with 16GB memory?
And do what with it? using it like 30 cm lenght ruler or for killing flyes? In Octane and Iray that card doesn't work but in other renrederers like Vray is slower than 2080.

So? AMD saying hey dev's we are done great card for you with huge amount of ram and cheap, but just make SW for it. And everybody says on it like always. Hey AMD FU. Make it yourself and than we will using it. And AMD say We are so poor, we can't. End of the story.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Ryzen 1700
32gb ram
2 1080ti
Octane

Word on the street is that Octane will get updated this year to take advantage of RTX raytracing and should speed up renders way faster. But I'm hoping there will be blower 2080tis that don't cost $1200+ each sometime soon lol.

Threadripper is to get the 64 pci lanes so 4 cards will run at full speed. There's not a huge difference if using slower pci lanes but it's still a 5-10% difference on each card so may as take full advantage of it.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Two 1060 6GB mean double power in rendering but still 6 Gigs so your scene must be 6 gigs max of size. That is all.
Sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread but could I have a quickie on this?

I've just upgraded from 2GB 1050 (please dont laugh too hard...) to a 6GB 1060 and obvs I'm noticing a decent difference and so am already thinking of what next. Popping another 1060 in would be most straightforward for me and I was wondering what the speed boost is like?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I think about 30% better if you run both 1060's... so ive heard. WHy i am asking do i go with that or keep my 1060 and get a RTX2060 and use both?
Do i buy jsut a RTX2080Ti?
If money wasn't an issue well then we all know what will happen

I've just upgraded from 2GB 1050 (please dont laugh too hard...) to a 6GB 1060 and obvs I'm noticing a decent difference and so am already thinking of what next. Popping another 1060 in would be most straightforward for me and I was wondering what the speed boost is like?

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018

Set the results for single card only.
I know that's for Octane but should still give you a good idea of each cards performance.

Personally i would save for at least an 8gig card. I think 1070ti is prob the most cost effective new card you can buy right now.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017

And you still using that 1050 ? or just using 1060. It is sipme if you sing one 1060 and will add second you will have double faster rendering :) In renderers cards scaling everytima almost at 100%. So if one card give you 100 two 200 three 300%.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017

Set the results for single card only.
I know that's for Octane but should still give you a good idea of each cards performance.

Personally i would save for at least an 8gig card. I think 1070ti is prob the most cost effective new card you can buy right now.
Thanks for the link, really appreciated!

And you still using that 1050 ? or just using 1060. It is sipme if you sing one 1060 and will add second you will have double faster rendering :) In renderers cards scaling everytima almost at 100%. So if one card give you 100 two 200 three 300%.
I'm a simple girl whose used to only one slot being filled at a time (Sorry been writing Sarah, she tends to rub off on me) so I just swapped them out. But noted. Thanks! :)

And apologies for barging in *shushes again*

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017

I'm a simple girl whose used to only one slot being filled at a time (Sorry been writing Sarah, she tends to rub off on me) so I just swapped them out. But noted. Thanks! :)

It is ok, I'm happy to give good advice everytime, I can.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
You're welcome and no you did not barge in...

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Since my game is at 0.03 I think it's fitting to write what I had when doing 0.01-0.03

My rig is:
AMD Ryzen 1600 CPU
Tomahawk something. The cheapest variant of the mobo
16gb ram. Don't know the brand
Samsung 128 SSD
GTX 1070 8GB

Did its job well. But as one of the devs that tend to use real 3d environments instead of hdri and going overboard with the amount of character in one scene - I had a lot of crashes.
Almost 70% of my renders were at max capacity.

Luckily, due to the support, I have gotten since the start.
Upgraded to 2080ti and 40gb of ram.
Now can't imagine working without these

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Since my game is at 0.03 I think it's fitting to write what I had when doing 0.01-0.03

My rig is:
AMD Ryzen 1600 CPU
Tomahawk something. The cheapest variant of the mobo
16gb ram. Don't know the brand
Samsung 128 SSD
GTX 1070 8GB

Did its job well. But as one of the devs that tend to use real 3d environments instead of hdri and going overboard with the amount of character in one scene - I had a lot of crashes.
Almost 70% of my renders were at max capacity.

Luckily, due to the support, I have gotten since the start.
Upgraded to 2080ti and 40gb of ram.
Now can't imagine working without these
I can't wait for when you finish Deluca and switch to Octane. Can you do a reaction stream for when you see the near instant viewport render preview :geek:

thengineer

Moonlight Sins
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018
I use a GTX 1070 and an i5 something something. And 8gb of RAM. I’m pretty happy with it!

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Captain Domiek "Octane" over here convinced me to use it also. Which I'll be doing after Series Two, Episode One is released. So expect hopefully better looking renders and faster rendering time. Then later I'll probably get a RTX 2060 as per Pumpkin's suggestion and Domiek also mentioned it. Run both cards with Octane and see how that goes.

I can't wait for when you finish Deluca and switch to Octane. Can you do a reaction stream for when you see the near instant viewport render preview :geek: