DEVs - Rig rundown

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
If you up teh ram some more you'll notice a difference in speed. I know this as ive tested it.
I dunno... He said i5 "something" so that could be his rig's bottleneck if he tries ultra high settings so upping ram would just be a waste imho

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
His system ram hits the ceiling gauranteed. Trust me DAZ uses alot of VRAM/System Ram and CPU especially when your pc is not high end.
Ive seen this with my old PC, AMD 8core CPU which is not even i5 standard. I use to hit the ceiling with my 24GB ram and then upped it to 28GB and it had some breathing space with renders going slightly faster.

Mannitt and I are forever comparing stats and telling each other what DAZ is up to for teh day as it seems to want to hold on to memory, very hard at letting go of said memory.

I dunno... He said i5 "something" so that could be his rig's bottleneck if he tries ultra high settings so upping ram would just be a waste imho

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
Heh... Since I'm not familiar with 3d rendering softwares, I'll take your word for it. But I mostly make do with what I have so if it's me, I'd go for low-poly count first during adjusting the models, lights, camera... Then go full high for the finishing touch and hang out with my buds while my pc's at it :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 1115199

What rendering subdivision you usually use.

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
Sorry for going off-topic here but
Have you guys considered using this?

I'd love to see some fresh slavik, russian, korean, mulatto pretty faces :p

bebop26

Oct 16, 2019
Hello everybody,
just a few words to share my experience:
I am pretty new to this and I startet with an GTX 970, upgraded to RTX2060 Super lately and wanted to upgrade once more with an additional GTX1080ti (dual GPU without SLI of course). Ok - it was way faster than with the RTX card alone, but in an one on one comparission the RTX was slightly faster than the GTX1080ti (10-20%). I was suprised and so to say disappointed, as I actually expected the 1080ti to be much better than the RTX2060 Super, not just because of the double amount of CUDA Cores but as it always have been known more or less as the best card in the world (even better than the Titan-X Pascal). Maybe it is because of the RTX´s GDDR6 instead of the 1080ti´s GDDR5x RAMs?

So I sold the GTX1080ti and now I am looking for another RTX2060 Super or 2070. These are around 200€ cheaper and actually better then the "god of gpu"s GTX1080ti.

Does anybody know if the 2060 Super is better than the 2070 or are they nearly the same just as the "game benchmarks" say? It seems that game benchmarks are not valid for rendingering with Iray, right?

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Hello everybody,
just a few words to share my experience:
I am pretty new to this and I startet with an GTX 970, upgraded to RTX2060 Super lately and wanted to upgrade once more with an additional GTX1080ti (dual GPU without SLI of course). Ok - it was way faster than with the RTX card alone, but in an one on one comparission the RTX was slightly faster than the GTX1080ti (10-20%). I was suprised and so to say disappointed, as I actually expected the 1080ti to be much better than the RTX2060 Super, not just because of the double amount of CUDA Cores but as it always have been known more or less as the best card in the world (even better than the Titan-X Pascal). Maybe it is because of the RTX´s GDDR6 instead of the 1080ti´s GDDR5x RAMs?

So I sold the GTX1080ti and now I am looking for another RTX2060 Super or 2070. These are around 200€ cheaper and actually better then the "god of gpu"s GTX1080ti.

Does anybody know if the 2060 Super is better than the 2070 or are they nearly the same just as the "game benchmarks" say? It seems that game benchmarks are not valid for rendingering with Iray, right?

Use Octane Benchmarks for ideas on card performance

bebop26

Oct 16, 2019
Use Octane Benchmarks for ideas on card performance
Thanks! Are the results supposed to be valid in the same way for Iray? Because as I mentioned, my GTX1080ti was definetly slower than the RTX2060 Super (Iray), but for octane it seems to be the other way round.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Thanks! Are the results supposed to be valid in the same way for Iray? Because as I mentioned, my GTX1080ti was definetly slower than the RTX2060 Super (Iray), but for octane it seems to be the other way round.
The overall performance hierarchy should be same between Iray/octane , only thing is that I don't think these benches consider RTX performance. So you would just double the performance number for RTX cards as a rough estimate.

It's not always the case but the general rule is that Optix boost from RTX cards are roughly 2x faster than cuda only. Sometimes faster than that, sometimes even slower than cuda, but generally about 2X. This is also similar to my own tests comparing cuda renders vs Optix of the same scene.

bebop26

Oct 16, 2019
For those who want to know about the Iray specific comparision I found the following:

You can see clearly that an RTX 2060 Super does 4.444 iterations /s and a GTX 1080ti does 3.992 which is about 10% less.
So the new RTX cards are way better than the GTX cards in terms of Iray rendering, especially when considering the price. The RTX 2080ti (as the direct follower of 1080ti) does 7.475 which nearly doubled the speed of 1080ti.
In my testing I found out that OptiX slows down the rendering speed with my RTX cards so it is worth to test with an without. Apart from that it seems that Nvidia boosted their Iray engine with their RTX cards (or the other way round).

Reactions: migoypedro

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
I made upgrade from my old i7 2600K frankenstain machine :D

Now I'm using this:

Threadripper TR 1920X
32 GB memory 3000Mhz
4x 1080 8GB
512 Nvme SSD.

And waiting for new 3xxx nvidia cards.

bebop26

Oct 16, 2019
One more question: Does anybody know if it is possible to combine 2 of RTX2070 Super with NVLink to use 8GB of each together to get 16GB Ram? I mean, does this work with DAZ Studio and if so, are there any things to take care of?

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
One more question: Does anybody know if it is possible to combine 2 of RTX2070 Super with NVLink to use 8GB of each together to get 16GB Ram? I mean, does this work with DAZ Studio and if so, are there any things to take care of?
No, GTX card cannot use Vram Pool function. Only Quadro cards and maybe Titan V I think.

Reactions: bebop26