Do you like seeing a character's thoughts?

Do you like seeing a character's thoughts?

• Yes

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Depends...

Votes: 42 46.7%

• Total voters

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Btw how do you display character thoughts? A different color or using quotes?
If you're in the first-person perspective, I believe the standard Ren'py effect is for your thoughts to be italic and without a name tag. You achieve this by typing:

"These are my thoughts."

... instead of:

john "These are John's spoken words."

Of course, you can configure it as you like, and if you're using descriptions in addition to thoughts (don't do this in first person. It takes a lot of skill to do it well), you should probably use quotes for thoughts. Otherwise, don't bother.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Btw how do you display character thoughts? A different color or using quotes?
The easy (and lazy IMO) option would be naming the narrator "MC's thoughts", but any of those options or writing in Italic will work . People gets the idea pretty quick.

Dars

Apr 14, 2018
If it helps in the storyline then no problem (flashbacks that kind of thing) but not to much there must be a reason for it.

novabeaver

Mar 29, 2021
Super interesting to read everyone's replies!

I initially voted no because as a player it kinda of breaks immersion for me, especially:
- if hearing other character's thoughts take away the thrill of the chase, or it doesn't make sense in the story (unless it's like my super power, but meh.)
- if MC's thoughts are at odds with the choices the game lets me make, or too different from the character's personality when talking. For example, if MC meets an ex and I can chose between "still in love" vs. "get revenge" routes, often the internal monologue doesn't reflect my choice and goes on and on about teaching her a lesson anyway. (Rarely saw it the other way around...)

But, I'm starting to understand how it can add to specific situations, and just how useful it can be for storytelling (if overused imho).

Davos2

Aug 29, 2020
You know you been to a site too much when you go into the discussion section instead of game searching.
But on a serious note, this has been an interesting and informative read, even though I doubt I'll get into making adult games [Can't draw for a darn or code], but applicable to hobby writing.

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
For games, I find it fine if it is used to convey small bits of information to the player the MC already knows. I dislike it if it is used to assign thoughts/feelings to the MC. After all, that's the player's role. As a dev, if you want full control over the MC, write a story not a game.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I have no issue with inserting myself into a character if they're somewhat likable, so I don't mind a game displaying some of the MC's thoughts, even if they aren't what I'd personally think - I get that I'm just playing a character, not myself. It's ideal if there are at least some choices on that though, whether it be the ability to pick a personality or just the thoughts.

I don't want to see other character's thoughts unless the main character is a mindreader. Let me guess at motivations and goals, keep some illusion that they are actual people that take some effort to figure out. Especially if they're supposed to be complex, mysterious, or inhuman, I absolutely do NOT want to hear their thoughts and it's just 'I want his dick.'

That all said, it really depends on the game. Mass Effect did a pretty good job of never really showing thoughts, but Shepherd still had a personality you could alter. Something like Witcher has a very defined character with significant thoughts and personality, and it clearly worked for them. I don't think there is one correct answer, just different valid choices.

Most of it comes down to execution.

Reactions: novabeaver