Ren'Py Does Ren'Py have any way to "look under the hood?"

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
My background is in Unity, but I've been trying to get more into Ren'Py lately. It seems to be better for the average adult game because of the features it natively includes (like save/load and rollback). Overall, Ren'Py seems pretty straightforward, I'm not having too much trouble with like syntax and stuff, but one thing I find to be a huge change from Unity is that there's no "exterior framework" while you're working on the game, that allows you to see information that isn't necessarily visible in the game itself. For instance, say there's a variable that changes based on which dialogue the player selects, but they aren't supposed to know when that variable changes, so the current value is not displayed in-game. As the programmer, I want to be able to see the variable's current value so I can make sure it is changing the way it's supposed to. What are the options for accessing that information in Ren'Py?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
With the game open, if you press "control+o" (it's case sensitive) you can access the console; if you write your variable there it will give you its value, and you can also change it.

Here is more information about this and other developer tools:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
As the programmer, I want to be able to see the variable's current value so I can make sure it is changing the way it's supposed to. What are the options for accessing that information in Ren'Py?
The watch command from the console do that. And there's also a tool, surely linked near this line, that permit to track the change in the variables used by a Ren'py game.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
What are the options for accessing that information in Ren'Py?
Yet another option is that you could very easily build an overlay screen that would display anything you were interested in, and then "show" that screen either in response to a custom keystroke, or based on the game being in developer mode or the like. (This is sort of what the "watch" stuff does, but it's quite straightforward to develop one of your own. This is what a lot of "cheat mods" do.)