HTML Dune – Breeding a Dynasty [v0.1.1] [lmno]

4.50 star(s) 10 Votes

Should we change the artstyle to the new version posted [here](/post-12150541)?

• I don't like either, but the old style is better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

legendppk

Aug 25, 2018
Honestly the Dune storyline has been used so much, I'm frankly tired of it. I'd prefer the game to be just loosely based on the canon and therefore avoid unpleasant fellows like cat-in-the-hat altogether. And give me branching paths so I can change history.

I actually like the AI art and I wish more developers would use it. My only critique is that AI art fails to keep a character's art consistent. But most other games usually use multiple artists and because of that their character art is never consistent either.

Having said all that, the portraits are attractive and the tags/genre tick all my boxes. I'll be watching this game with great interest.

Dec 11, 2018
:unsure: Kinda weird that both images he linked comes up as "does not exist or no longer available" on my phone, whereas on my PC the first image link comes up fine (but not the second).

In case you're in the former and didn't know which image he was talking about, this is the image he was referring to (as for his first image link);
Hmm, I'm on PC and I can't see either of the linked images.
And yeah, now that it's been pointed out to me, I see what he means. But it's clearly not as bad as he says. 3 inches too high at most.
Heard about that from couple of my mutuals (though didn't get the detailed info).
I'm not saying the possession aspect of the story should be removed from the story itself (given it's a part of the books), but would there be an option to mitigate it in terms of Alia and MC scenes, i.e. making it much dependent on player's choices?

Personally I'd much prefer my LIs be in their right mind when in comes to lewd/sexual acts with my MC.
That's impossible to say now. I have an idea of how to deal with that, but I don't want to divulge that yet.

Honestly the Dune storyline has been used so much, I'm frankly tired of it. I'd prefer the game to be just loosely based on the canon and therefore avoid unpleasant fellows like cat-in-the-hat altogether. And give me branching paths so I can change history.
I don't think, that we will make substantial use of branching paths. It's just too much work. Maybe a handful of branches with major consequences or some more branches with only small changes.
But feel free to tell us how you would like to change history.

Steve70

Sep 13, 2017
I suggest leaving animation to a "pro" if you choose to do it at all. I find about 95% of the animation in "adult" games to be "poor," meaning it detracts from the scene(s) instead of adding to it. I expect that is because the people doing the animating either do not have the time to animate properly or do not have the knowledge of physics to do a good job of it. In such cases, static pictures are better by comparison.

Reactions: reynold.biplane

Zorlond

Jun 15, 2021
Hmm. With all the talk about cellular and blood-flow control, I have to ask...

Any plans for 'growth' fetishes? Breast, ass, or penis? With sufficient control over natural processes, it might be theoretically possible to force parts of your body to just grow bigger by getting the cells to replicate more and more...

Dec 11, 2018
Hmm. With all the talk about cellular and blood-flow control, I have to ask...

Any plans for 'growth' fetishes? Breast, ass, or penis? With sufficient control over natural processes, it might be theoretically possible to force parts of your body to just grow bigger by getting the cells to replicate more and more...
Aren't those big enough already?

But it's not a bad idea. We haven't planned such a thing, but we are now thinking about it. It's mostly a matter of how much of a hassle it would be to have alternative graphics for every affected character for the rest of the game.
So it probably won't happen, except maybe on a really small scope.

Reactions: Zorlond

Zorlond

Jun 15, 2021
Aren't those big enough already?
*chuckle* You're asking someone who thoroughly enjoys the models in Terminal Desires, male and female. But I also enjoy variety, so the current state of the characters in Dune is quite nice as well. I'll take whatever you decide gladly, it was just a crazy thought.

Reactions: reynold.biplane

name

Mar 8, 2017
i guess if i had to suggest something i hope is added it would be Jessica's iconic hairstyle, the one where she wears it up, i don't like it more than her hair down but i did still like it, but it's a unique style and probably hard to make the AI work it

oh and also bikinis. i am a sucker for beach wear like bikinis, one pieces, big summer hats, etc. but i don't think they would be faithful to Dune's lore

Ihatewegs

Feb 3, 2023
If you start trying to add branching paths or take the remake pill you'll never finish jack. Just focus on making one path that seems the best/ you enjoy working on the most and don't go back remaking/remastering/reworking/rewasting time on it after it's done.

wyldmage

Jul 4, 2018
If you start trying to add branching paths or take the remake pill you'll never finish jack. Just focus on making one path that seems the best/ you enjoy working on the most and don't go back remaking/remastering/reworking/rewasting time on it after it's done.
100% agree.

Development cycle for the game from first release to public to completion shouldn't be over a year, if you can help it. If you already think your project will take over a year, don't add anything that takes more than a week to add to the game. Ie, adding secondary paths (non-branching, just short term differences following decisions) can work, since you can keep the scene quantity from bloating too much. But if you try for branching paths, you can easily end up doubling the scene count (minimum). If the project is under a year from completion, ONLY the most important major changes should occur, and only ones that you are reasonably confident will keep the total completion time under that 1 year mark.

Then, once the game is finished, you have "only" invested a year into it. And you can figure out whether you want to add further features to the game, start over with a new game (2nd chapter, alternate timeline, whatever), or stop with a completed game before you burn out entirely.

Especially here on F95, there are WAY too many incomplete games. The games forum is so full of version 0.0.1s that browsing for new content is a pain in the ass.
And even for the games that progress past 0.0.3 versions, the vast majority either never get completed, or take 5 years to complete while the authors beg for funding (and/or exploit their patreon users). Completed games are the rarity. But a half-as-fulfilling game that got completed is usually better than a game that had way more going on and got abandoned halfway through (with the same number of developer hours).

Provide the complete game first, follow up later. Plus, by the time the finished game is done, you'll have far more feedback to work with.

Also remember: You won't satisfy everyone. That's why we have hundreds/thousands of games. But you also shouldn't make a game for "just yourself" (dear god, so many self-insert fantasy games out there that are just impossible to enjoy because you're just reading the author's self-isekai fanfic). Figure out early on what players you want to cater to. Figure out which kinks you want to fulfill. Then stick to them. Branching out will get you a few more players, but will slow you down. And see point #1 - once you finish the core game, you can possibly go back and add more in, or you can make another game with a different set of kinks & target audience.

Dec 11, 2018
Thanks for the advice. You guys definitely have a point. And I largely agree.
The lessons of Daikatana, Duke Nukem Forever and Summertime Saga are well-known to anyone who's interested in game development: Have a plan from the beginning and then stick to it. And don't be too ambitious with a first-time project.

We're going to steer clear of big branching storylines for sure. Not just because of development time.
There's going to be a central storyline with little flexibility of outcomes and then a bunch of optional sidecontent.
I'm not a big fan off adding lots of new content to an already finished game though. Playing updates to a game that you've already played through is never as satisfying as exploring a game (or episode) for the first time. Not saying we won't do that though.

Also, please manage your expectations about development time. For my part, I'm a total rookie writer. The end result might look good, but it's a slow process for me. And I don't work on the story as often as I could.
Since we're not asking for money, we feel that we can take our time. I don't think burnout is much of an issue, if you don't have an obligation to fulfill. The only thing I'm concerned about is to finish the project before life intervenes in some way, as it often does.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
Thanks for the advice. You guys definitely have a point. And I largely agree.
The lessons of Daikatana, Duke Nukem Forever and Summertime Saga are well-known to anyone who's interested in game development: Have a plan from the beginning and then stick to it. And don't be too ambitious with a first-time project.

We're going to steer clear of big branching storylines for sure. Not just because of development time.
There's going to be a central storyline with little flexibility of outcomes and then a bunch of optional sidecontent.
I'm not a big fan off adding lots of new content to an already finished game though. Playing updates to a game that you've already played through is never as satisfying as exploring a game (or episode) for the first time. Not saying we won't do that though.

Also, please manage your expectations about development time. For my part, I'm a total rookie writer. The end result might look good, but it's a slow process for me. And I don't work on the story as often as I could.
Since we're not asking for money, we feel that we can take our time. I don't think burnout is much of an issue, if you don't have an obligation to fulfill. The only thing I'm concerned about is to finish the project before life intervenes in some way, as it often does.
Heh, as long as you and lmno provide lots of Paul and Jessica content (as you said before, Jessica is the main course :BootyTime:), you'll get no complaints from me!

Just wanted to ask though, between this game itself and your own fan-fiction novel, Programmed to Breed, which will you be updating first (for each chapter)?

I suppose in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter too much, but I found that going through the game first, then going through your novel afterwards to be a very enjoyable yet complementary experience.

Dec 11, 2018
Heh, as long as you and lmno provide lots of Paul and Jessica content (as you said before, Jessica is the main course :BootyTime:), you'll get no complaints from me!

Just wanted to ask though, between this game itself and your own fan-fiction novel, Programmed to Breed, which will you be updating first (for each chapter)?

I suppose in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter too much, but I found that going through the game first, then going through your novel afterwards to be a very enjoyable yet complementary experience.
Chapters for PtB and DBaD are supposed to be released concurrently. But an update for the game does not necessarily have to encompass a whole chapter. Chapter 2 will be much longer than chapter 1 and so maybe we will dole it out in several updates.
I'm also contemplating putting PtB on the back burner to get the game out faster. But at the moment I'm still working on both at the same time.

wyldmage

Jul 4, 2018
Everything I said is just opinion really. And if your "core concept" for the game (combined with speed you can work with) is already 3 years or more, I'm not saying you should cut stuff. Go at your pace, do a good job, etc.
I'm mainly just saying "if it's already going to take quite a while, don't add more stuff til the core game is done".

I like what you've got so far, and looking forward to the development regardless of pace.

And, like you said, if you aren't getting paid for making it, nobody has much say (other than you) in how long it takes!

greeneyed

Jul 30, 2017
reynold.biplane
I'm not sure if I used @ right on F95zone, but is there anywhere I can check for updates/news on the game's releases? I've been silent on this but I'm really look forward to this game with the high quality design and excellent setting of choice.

Dec 11, 2018
reynold.biplane
I'm not sure if I used @ right on F95zone, but is there anywhere I can check for updates/news on the game's releases? I've been silent on this but I'm really look forward to this game with the high quality design and excellent setting of choice.
This is the only place. We don't post anywhere else. And I do read every post in this thread, whether I'm tagged or quoted or not. We have thought about opening a public discord server, but haven't done that so far.
In theory we could give regular status updates on how things are progressing and post new art and stuff like that. Most other game devs do that to keep their paying subscribers satisfied in-between updates, but that doesn't mean that we can't do that also. Dunno. At the moment there isn't much to report on anyways. I took a long break from writing last month, but now I'm back at it. The next chapter has been fullly conceptualized and now we're working to implement it.
It's going to take us quite a while. Chapter 2 will be longer and more open. The main story will remain linear, but there will be more stuff to do around it. Many more locations, a few more characters, new game mechanics. Even if we release the chapter in parts, don't expect an update this month.

And thanks for the kinds words.

4.50 star(s) 10 Votes