• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Unity Dungeon Tavern [v0.2.5 Hotfix] [TinyHat Studios]

2.40 star(s) 7 Votes

Taurom

Apr 10, 2019
Wait... are they selling this on steam already? damn, no wonder why people complain about early access games.

GG2ezWP

Jul 3, 2023
Wait... are they selling this on steam already? damn, no wonder why people complain about early access games.
Honestly I like early access, it give us players a chance to change what the game should be on 1.0. Imagine skull and bones or Suwiside squad kill the JL hit ea instead of full release these games won't be immediately dead in the water and gamers can suggest meaningful changes to gameplay, because in the end of the day it's the gamers who will buy games. Perfect example is Baldur's Gate and a plethora of ea games from indie studios.

That being said H-games are entirely different these games are primarily to milk patreon so don't be shock when these games release in ea just to be milk for years. As a bonus the more broken and bare bones the game is the more content and fixes they can "release" to satisfy them patreons.

Stupidkiller

Jan 12, 2018
skull and bones or Suwiside squad kill the JL
Neither of those games would have been saved by early access considering how much of idiots the developpers are. Especially skull and bones which spent a long time in development hell. Early access works when the devs communicate with the player base like Larian does, but Ubisoft absolutely doesn't give a fuck.

Karnewarrior

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, he has a point. Ubisoft may not care about player experience directly, but they do know that poor reception = less money, so people saying it's shit would get them to change it if they can.

Early Access can't and won't save every game, but it can help. And it's good for the devs too, who get a return on investment before dumping millions of dollars in programmer pay into a game that turns out to be the E.T. NES game.

The real issue is that it's normalized not only releasing games when there's barely any game there, but also charging for the half-baked experience.

Reactions: GG2ezWP

Arklex

Jan 21, 2018
Are there any other games like this? this remembers me Yukiya Hot Springs and the Kurai-Ya games, these are so fun, any ideas?? pls

RotNot2

Mar 3, 2020
Running into the steam problem, keeps forcing me to log in

Edit: Sorted it out

Last edited:

Wilwock

Sep 26, 2021
I really like the art/animations/concept, why does it have to be so hilariously incompetent.

It feels like they outsourced the coding to Madagascar or something lol.

Wilwock

Sep 26, 2021
I swear there are LESS sex scenes in this new version! And half of what is there is more broken than before. And why won't the gallery work :cry:

edit: Fixed gallery by deleting all files in C:\Users\(username)\AppData\LocalLow\DungeonTavern\DungeonTavern

Last edited:

RotNot2

Mar 3, 2020
I really like the art/animations/concept, why does it have to be so hilariously incompetent.

It feels like they outsourced the coding to Madagascar or something lol.
Right? Like honestly they should just go into animation. The art is carrying this game heavy, but I'm near my limit.

Reactions: Wilwock

TinyHat Studios

Apr 6, 2019
I swear there are LESS sex scenes in this new version! And half of what is there is more broken than before. And why won't the gallery work :cry:

edit: Fixed gallery by deleting all files in C:\Users\(username)\AppData\LocalLow\DungeonTavern\DungeonTavern
To myself: "Huh, what's going on- it shouldn't be this broken. We even enabled all of the sex scenes in the gallery by default. Wait... the gallery is broken?"

AHAHAHA. Fuck. I know what's happening.
You guys tripped a Steam API requirement. The game just implodes if it is missing certain calls it's trying to make involving Steam.

I checked in with my programmer- he didn't intend this as an anti-piracy measure, but it looks like it ended up working out that way. Oops.

We're planning on doing a GOG/itch version of the game soon, which won't have the Steam API requirements. Those should be easier to grab and mirror, when the time comes.

Anyways, responding to some of the questions here:

- "Why do Steam deck support before fixing existing bugs?"
1. I realized I really didnt like a mouse-based design for this sort of game. I was replaying Yukiya Hot Springs and realized they had a "direct control" sort of thing going on, and figured that would be a better fit. So controller/steam deck support was a step towards a new control style we figured would be more fun and intuitive.

2. The new control stuff wasn't supposed to take as long as it did. It was supposed to be a relatively quick and easy update, so we thought. This unfortunately didn't end up being the case.

3. An overhauled control scheme means that some of the existing "bugs" wouldn't be applicable anymore. With this latest update, not only did we completely update the controls, but also the whole flow for how sandbox mode works. Our solution to some of the issues players were having with older versions of the game was to revisit, reimagine, and rework how some core parts of the game were being handled- parts that we just thought weren't fun or were too convoluted.

To expand on this idea a little bit too, lots of things are called "bugs" that aren't necessarily bugs. Unintuitive UI/UX decisions for instance, or gameplay features that are working as intended, but what's happening in the background, and what's supposed to be happening, is not being signposted/communicated correctly. These are things that need to be fixed through deeper changes to the core gameplay- which is exactly what we've spent so long doing. If you're wondering why we haven't been fixing these bugs, we have, that's what this gameplay overhaul has been.

- "Okay but why Steam Trading Cards?"
Not everyone on the team is a programmer or an artist. Prepping trading cards was an extra thing that we could do that didn't take any time at all away from actual game development. It was something that team members who already finished their portion of their tasks could contribute towards.

- "You guys are just trying to milk updates for your Patreon."

We don't have a Patreon. We haven't had one for years. Believe it or not- we launched in Early Access to show off what we had working so far and to get player feedback. The game was originally inspired by Yukiya Hotspring, but eventually we realized a game as simple as Yukiya Hotspring doesn't really make sense for Steam- and we begun trying to expand on it, having to improvise as we went along. And BECAUSE we don't have a Patreon, we've done so at our own expense, and without any external feedback, for a long time.

Eventually we got to a point where we had a ton of art assets and the framework of what we thought was a solid enough game, so we released it to those who were interested. We've gotten a ton of amazing feedback since, and we've been hard at work implementing a lot of it. We're still having to learn and adjust somethings as we go, as not every initial idea or implementation works out as expected- but we've still got an overall idea in mind and are heading towards it. We're looking to have the game done by the end of this year, which is a pretty short development/early access period, one year, for most Western adult games.

Anyways, like I said, keep an eye out for GOG/Itch, those builds shouldn't need any sort of funky API bypassing.

lodslapdog

Jun 13, 2018
Dungeon Tavern 0.3.2

• Some of the missing voicelines from the end of Day 1 have been added
  • Sex scenes in the story, sandbox, and gallery have been given SFX & moans

• Flirt will trigger foreplay animations by default, with no prior preparation needed
  • Character move speed has been doubled (makes camera a bit choppy in controller mode but we will will look into smoothing this out soon)
  • Characters only now have 1 favorite item instead of 2
  • Sex animations can be triggered by making someone horny by gifting the their favorite item
  • The bar has been made uninteractable, so it doesn't get in the way of talking to the bartender

AD5

Jul 2, 2017
Dungeon Tavern 0.3.2

Mega

• Some of the missing voicelines from the end of Day 1 have been added
  • Sex scenes in the story, sandbox, and gallery have been given SFX & moans

• Flirt will trigger foreplay animations by default, with no prior preparation needed
  • Character move speed has been doubled (makes camera a bit choppy in controller mode but we will will look into smoothing this out soon)
  • Characters only now have 1 favorite item instead of 2
  • Sex animations can be triggered by making someone horny by gifting the their favorite item
  • The bar has been made uninteractable, so it doesn't get in the way of talking to the bartender
Hey dude I appreciate that you're giving us this link, but it's not working since you're using the steam version, read the dev's two comments above you if you want a more details

soul5k

Jan 2, 2018
Hey dude I appreciate that you're giving us this link, but it's not working since you're using the steam version, read the dev's two comments above you if you want a more details
did you try deleting the plugin folder like someone mentioned in a slightly earlier comment?

Uncle Eugene

Jun 6, 2020
fyi you can just create steam_appid.txt file in game directory and add "480" into it so it runs through real steam as testing application. Not sure if the game still uses some steam cloud saving features and if it will fail, but if you want some kind of working solution right now...
I'll look into making a patch some time later

Reactions: TinyHat Studios
2.40 star(s) 7 Votes