bitofaperv

Dec 20, 2022
Yeah. Badik seems to be taking longer and longer just because of all the branching. :HideThePain:

I'll take the illusion of choice over yearly updates.
Episode 11 is almost certainly not coming in 2024. Given DPC's recent updates, I wouldn't expect it until Spring.

The branching has completely fucked development time. Episode 10 was really great; but was it that much better than episode 8, that took 7 months to develop, versus the 12 months of episode 10? I don't think so. And episode 11 is probably going to be 13+ months of development. And it's not like DPC is being lazy, the amount of work is just too much for an acceptable release cadence.

I think 6 months is an acceptable amount of time for a high quality episode of an AVN. Even Caribdis is pushing it with 7-8 months. Any longer and it's just frustrating for the audience.

Solo developers really need to think about scope a bit more. Caribdis hired an animator to ensure dev times didn't get too out of hand as the game scope creeped a little. DPC just flatly refuses to outsource anything, not even coding.

And I definitely agree with you. I'm just as happy with a choice merely providing a bonus render and a line or two of variety in the dialogue, as I am with the story completely branching. Especially when there is not the money available to have a team to make this possible.

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
I don't know, I kinda loose interest in 2-3 months... ideal would be to plan and use bigger teams and finish a product before release. A product that you wait 5-10 years for from start to finish...? damn.
Having a bigger team doesn't guarantee a speedier release. Type-Moon has a big ass team and yet it took them 13 years to release the Tsukihime remake. 16 if you count the English release.

There's also the fact that not every dev is willing to build a bigger team because it would be costly not only to pay them but to train them to reach the same level as they are. There's also the issue of finding someone willing AND competent enough to do it, which is a big ask when you consider that your salary is tied to the good will of a bunch of coomers with disposable income. Also, not every dev can work with a big group, with some going indie specifically to get away from the pressure of being in one.

In Cari's case, he's always fine going in it alone, and the only reason he took in the help is because it frees him to work on the render quality a little bit more, not just because he wants to speed things up a bit. The animator being as talented as he is is simply a plus, and the beta testers help him spot errors that he himself might have missed during the course of development. But at the end of the day, he's still technically a one-man team, given the workload he has to do compared to the rest. And that suits him just fine.

Reactions: Ungawa

Dr. Mick

Nov 21, 2017
I don't know, I kinda loose interest in 2-3 months... ideal would be to plan and use bigger teams and finish a product before release. A product that you wait 5-10 years for from start to finish...? damn.
I'm okay with updates being once or twice a year, as long as the quality is consistently good, the content is significant enough to sustain for quite a while, and there are regular progress reports affirming that work is still proceeding on schedule.
More frequent can be fine too. What content is contained in the update is infinitely more important than how often it is released.

I've found with stories as captivating as this one, the longer and larger updates tend to be more satisfying. Smaller, more frequent, updates feel as though you're only being given tidbits, and it wouldn't seem as fleshed out as it currently does.
The story is terrific, and if we have to wait a little longer to get the next update to devour more of this engaging content, so be it.

-R1ck-

Apr 7, 2024
I recall some ppl commenting how Eternum's dev progress is getting worse and missed how 'Eternum had 4 updates in a year'

which at first glance it's kind of absurd but when I think about it, Caribdis really pulled 4 Eternum updates in the span of a year. (0.1 released September 2021, 0.4 September 2022)

But of course if you have more than 2 functional braincells you can easily tell why these are taking longer

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
[0-2.png

[0.8] - Progress Report #2

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

Hope you're all doing great!

We're finally at the end of the month, and as promised, here's a new devlog so you check what I've been cooking and how the progress is going!

As usual with progress reports, I'll try to keep it short and to the point!

----------------------------------------------------------------

The current development is about 75% complete. As I’ve mentioned before, this update is easily going to have the most hours of content so far!
Here are the current numbers:

• 1102 new renders
  • 55 new animations
  • 10.5K new lines of code, with over 4500 new lines of dialogue

As many of you know, I’ve been focusing on finding a better balance with my work to prevent burnout and ensure I can continue developing the game with the same passion I had when I first started. However, that doesn't mean I'm not working hard on the game. I want to reassure you that I’m still putting in just as much effort, if not more.

In addition, the renders are now more polished, which naturally takes extra time. While 99% of you have always been incredibly supportive and understanding about the development pace, I sometimes can’t help but worry that some could feel I’m not fully committed. We've all seen other developers start projects just to abandon them halfway, but you can be sure: that will never happen here.

I'm not always fully inspired, productivity can fluctuate, unexpected things can happen (just this previous week some personal issues made me unable to work for 3 days) and even when I'm putting in the same amount of hours, I can't always produce +40 renders a day as I'd like to.

However, I promise to always be transparent about my progress, and I’ll ALWAYS be here to respond to your messages and comments. I love the community we’ve built around my games, and I’ll never stop striving to deliver the best work I can

Thank you all for your constant support

Now, on a more exciting note!

All that said, I’m still aiming to release the update before Christmas, which means we’re officially in the last stretch!

I expect the full update to have over 1,500 renders. There will be 4 lewd scenes—2 are already complete, and the third just needs a few more days of work!

In version 0.8, we’ll continue our adventure on the pirate server, but also explore brand-new worlds, and, of course, spend some quality time with our favorite girls! I've commissioned a few add-ons that I think will add a lot to the game, and the main plot will also take some intriguing twists that I can’t wait for you to experience

You’ll also notice the harem dynamic starting to take shape more clearly, with new interactions between the girls (without forgetting of one-on-one moments too, don't worry).

Alongside all of this, the main menu and the Relationship Points screen have been completely revamped to give them a more dynamic look! You can check out the new design in this link:

And don’t miss the newly designed Exit Screen—my favorite addition!

Patreon post image-16.png

Aaaaand that's all for now!

Over the next month, I'll be posting new wallpapers, the 2nd part of the Q&A, and yes, a fresh set of sneak peeks! So... stay tuned!

As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out!

Thank you so much for your support—not only for making the game possible financially, but also for giving me the daily motivation through your kind messages ❤

You guys are truly the best.

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING

Caribdis

Last edited:

Redd23

Mar 11, 2018
View attachment 4085758

[0.8] - Progress Report #2

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

Hope you're all doing great!

We're finally at the end of the month, and as promised, here's a new devlog so you check what I've been cooking and how the progress is going!

As usual with progress reports, I'll try to keep it short and to the point!

The current development is about 75% complete. As I’ve mentioned before, this update is easily going to have the most hours of content so far!
Here are the current numbers:

• 1102 new renders
  • 55 new animations
  • 10.5K new lines of code, with over 4500 new lines of dialogue

As many of you know, I’ve been focusing on finding a better balance with my work to prevent burnout and ensure I can continue developing the game with the same passion I had when I first started. However, that doesn't mean I'm not working hard on the game. I want to reassure you that I’m still putting in just as much effort, if not more.

In addition, the renders are now more polished, which naturally takes extra time. While 99% of you have always been incredibly supportive and understanding about the development pace, I sometimes can’t help but worry that some could feel I’m not fully committed. We've all seen other developers start projects just to abandon them halfway, but you can be sure: that will never happen here.

I'm not always fully inspired, productivity can fluctuate, unexpected things can happen (just this previous week some personal issues made me unable to work for 3 days) and even when I'm putting in the same amount of hours, I can't always produce +40 renders a day as I'd like to.

However, I promise to always be transparent about my progress, and I’ll ALWAYS be here to respond to your messages and comments. I love the community we’ve built around my games, and I’ll never stop striving to deliver the best work I can

Thank you all for your constant support

Now, on a more exciting note!

All that said, I’m still aiming to release the update before Christmas, which means we’re officially in the last stretch!

I expect the full update to have over 1,500 renders. There will be 3 lewd scenes—2 are already complete, and the third just needs a few more days of work!

In version 0.8, we’ll continue our adventure on the pirate server, but also explore brand-new worlds, and, of course, spend some quality time with our favorite girls! I've commissioned a few add-ons that I think will add a lot to the game, and the main plot will also take some intriguing twists that I can’t wait for you to experience

You’ll also notice the harem dynamic starting to take shape more clearly, with new interactions between the girls (without forgetting of one-on-one moments too, don't worry).

Alongside all of this, the main menu and the Relationship Points screen have been completely revamped to give them a more dynamic look! You can check out the new design in this link:

And don’t miss the newly designed Exit Screen—my favorite addition!

View attachment 4085759

Aaaaand that's all for now!

Over the next month, I'll be posting new wallpapers, the 2nd part of the Q&A, and yes, a fresh set of sneak peeks! So... stay tuned!

As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out!

Thank you so much for your support—not only for making the game possible financially, but also for giving me the daily motivation through your kind messages ❤

You guys are truly the best.

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING

Caribdis
I'm not even surprised that you're faster than my notifications from patreon xD

Redd23

Mar 11, 2018
So to sum it up:
- release before Christmas (public one probably in Jan, but I doubt we'll have to worry about it here)
- new menu and stuff (which normally I totally don't care about, but in this case it's really nice to see how smooth it all looks now :D)
- "You’ll also notice the harem dynamic starting to take shape more clearly, with new interactions between the girls (without forgetting of one-on-one moments too, don't worry)." - personally my fav part of the update, let the harem begin! Interactions between them is the most interesting piece of the game (aside from the main plot ofc xd)
- Cari commissioned something - if I'm not mistaken he only commissioned animations before, so what it could be? New arts, some kind of minigame for treasure hunt/voyage on pirate server?
- some new worlds and new twists, and obviously new cliffhangers (goes without sa
(sorry, had to do it^^)

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
- release before Christmas (public one probably in Jan, but I doubt we'll have to worry about it here)
December release likely for Public since he also mentioned the "before Christmas" release on Itch.io a while back (and the only version that gets released there is the Public version). Plus if Cari keeps the 6% prog per 2 weeks sched, he'll be hitting 87% on October and about 93% on the first week of November. Ain't no way the beta's going to reach December at that rate.

VaderExMachina

Brazilian Sith Lord
Donor
Nov 21, 2022
December release likely for Public since he also mentioned the "before Christmas" release on Itch.io a while back (and the only version that gets released there is the Public version). Plus if Cari keeps the 6% prog per 2 weeks sched, he'll be hitting 87% on October and about 93% on the first week of November. Ain't no way the beta's going to reach December at that rate.
pixeldrain's and gofile's servers better be ready for when the beta drops...

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Cari commissioned something - if I'm not mistaken he only commissioned animations before, so what it could be? New arts, some kind of minigame for treasure hunt/voyage on pirate server?
Handrawn ship movement animation on map whenever we choose a location during the New World server event.

(This is just my wishful thinking btw :HideThePain:)

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
Well...yeah...dev circle definitely get larger. At least that might mean that there should be a sufficient gap between PC and Eternum this time. :HideThePain:

Reactions: Prezi-
4.80 star(s) 959 Votes