avidita

Mar 22, 2020
Since everybody is theory crafting. I think MC have demon blood and his power will occur in the real world too.
I think Eternum is a blend of different dimension and a game ie meaning some of the character/npc is actually alive and have souls.

My earlier theory that Calypso was a godess was debunked since she is revealed as an elf
After Calypso was introduced I just assumed that it isn't really a game, the "servers" are in fact alternate realities/worlds and the implants just allow you to jump into them or something. Given the entire game was supposedly developed by a single person, and everyone keeps mentioning how real it feels, seems like he just found a way to project people into other worlds/realities.

Idontplay

Oct 30, 2017
Then why is the real world the only one she can't go, while the real world characters can go everywhere?

Valath

Jan 18, 2018
After Calypso was introduced I just assumed that it isn't really a game, the "servers" are in fact alternate realities/worlds and the implants just allow you to jump into them or something. Given the entire game was supposedly developed by a single person, and everyone keeps mentioning how real it feels, seems like he just found a way to project people into other worlds/realities.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
Then why is the real world the only one she can't go, while the real world characters can go everywhere?
Assuming that there's a real world to begin with..... I know it sound a little too far fetched, but with Caribdis never say never.... The Matrix vibe is more and more heavy for me, and I want to be clear it's just a wild speculation of mine so don't read too much in this comment, even though I'm sure I'm not the first that had this thought just my two cents to add to the discussion. :)

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Assuming that there's a real world to begin with..... I know it sound a little too far fetched, but with Caribdis never say never.... The Matrix vibe is more and more heavy for me, and I want to be clear it's just a wild speculation of mine so don't read too much in this comment, even though I'm sure I'm not the first that had this thought just my two cents to add to the discussion. :)
If the real world was a matrix, it would be a double layers matrix, a matrix-ception. How many layers are there? We need to go deeper!

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
If the real world was a matrix, it would be a double layers matrix, a matrix-ception. How many layers are there? We need to go deeper!
Couldn't agree more, I'm a sucker for these scenarios!
Jokes apart I don't know if Caribids planned this, as I said it's just a wild speculation of mine. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Dunner

Valath

Jan 18, 2018
I can just imagine the crazy lad being like "Bro I just wanted to make a game about VR" :KEK:
It's just going to escalate, really. Simulation within simulation.

Eventually, at the bottom of the endless stack of turtles, we'll come face to face with Caribdis.

"Yo dawg, I heard you like simulated realities..."

Last edited:

ShiroOkami2

Mar 14, 2020
Loving it, Eternum is giving me Ready Player One vibes mixed in with Free Guy and a tiny hint of SAO (very tiny and only the part from the first half of S1).

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Who says she couldn't in the future? The only thing that's stopping her at the moment is her not having full control of her powers due to being locked up for quite a while. That...and the possibility that she might not have been to our world yet so she doesn't know how to get there. She did say:

Okay01.jpg

And she can't use exit portals to connect to our world because that's likely restricted only to those connected to Eternum via the nerve implants. Assuming the theory that nerve implant tech is some crazy way to utilize astral projection is true, then it only makes sense that it works as a device for projections (that is, the player characters) to get back to the real.

Which is why I feel that Calypso opening up a portal and traveling to the real is going to be the kind of shit Caribdis is saving up as a version-end reveal in the future. Of course, I could be wrong and that she really is just a rogue AI or something. We'll see in the future.

Then again...there's also the possibility that one of my theories is correct: that our reality has some sort of natural barrier that's keeping natives of Eternum out and people of the real world in, and the only way they could travel between realities is through spirit form/astral projection (or portal jumping but that would leave them stranded in our world due to the barrier. More on that later). I mention this because Astaroth, a demon and the big bad from the dev's past game "Once in a Lifetime," is likely a native from Eternum due to his familiarity with Calypso (shown in one of the bad ends). And that guy only exists in spirit form and can only interact with the world through dreams and possessing people.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I can just imagine the crazy lad being like "Bro I just wanted to make a game about VR" :KEK:
With the deliberate amount of foreshadowing and clues that he's been placing all over the game, I doubt that's the case lol. I think he really wants people to try to connect the dots and speculate on how the story will go this time around, more so than in OIAL.

Last edited:

Idontplay

Oct 30, 2017
Who says she couldn't in the future?
In the future?
I judge the present using what I know for sure and the only thing about the future I know for sure is all of us will die.
For now Calypso could be a simply (yet extremely evolute) AI not ready to be used; accordingly with what the Praetorians have said.
Of course I don't want be rude, but for now Caribdis doesn't have given us strong hints about the fact the servers could actually be alternative worlds. On the contrary it was pretty clearly stated some of these servers are actually fictional world: think about the fake Hogwarts visited by Luna, Penelope and the MC or about the conversation between Nova and Alex about the fact that some server were created by group of pedophiles and shout down by the Eternum's administration, when they were lost in that cartoonish world.

Last edited:
Reactions: pedrobece7

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
For now Calypso could be a simply (yet extremely evolute) AI not ready to be used; accordingly with what the Praetorians have said.
Explain how a demon from a story that canonically takes place a few years before the events of Eternum knows about a "simple" AI then.

01.jpg 02.jpg

(Screenshots are from one of the bad endings of "Once in a Lifetime," Caribdis' first game. There's a few callbacks from that game in this game, btw)

Also, there's this:

10.jpg
11.jpg

And yet Caribdis says this:

1840552_screenshot-caribdis.itch.io-2022.05.18-20_05_52.png

(Source: )

So how exactly can she have scenes if she's a mere NPC who's supposedly not designed for such? Unless Idriel is lying. But that could also mean that she could be lying about a LOT of things about the game.

On the contrary it was pretty clearly stated some of these servers are actually fictional world: think about the fake Hogwarts visited by Luna
Erm, no.

03.jpg
04.jpg

The SCHOOL of Warthogs is fictional. The world it's set in is (possibly) not and formerly occupied before the Praetorians cleaned house.

05.jpg
06.jpg

Now, you might say "that doesn't mean anything. It could be that this cult are comprised of players that bought the server from Ulysses, made it the way it is, fucked up, then was given to a new owner."

Except on the very same scene we get this.

07.jpg

And just to recall, the last time Orion (MC) has been in a place like this was in a dream. A dream that he had BEFORE he even supposedly stepped foot in the game.

08.jpg

So how can the world that the school of Warthogs is now standing on be "completely fictional and is made up by Ulysses/those who own the server" if Orion (MC) is having dreams about it?

Also, speaking of fictional...

1684597_dream_3.jpg

The image above is one of the images that Orion (MC) sees in a flash prior to having the weird dream in 0.1. Again, this was BEFORE he even stepped foot in Eternum.

And then cut to 0.2 and 0.3 we see this:

1785315_Hmm02.jpg

A guy having dreams/visions about a supposedly fictional world that he hasn't seen before, and is now sporting an ability that is foreshadowed to be something that is connected to his past and is now using in said VR game/fictional world...I dunno, chief. There's just too much that doesn't make sense (and yes, there's some stuff I haven't mentioned that's in the game, but I don't want to make this post longer than it already is) that makes the argument that Eternum is "just a VRMMO" unworkable IMO.

Last edited:

Valath

Jan 18, 2018
Of course I don't want be rude, but for now Caribdis doesn't have given us strong hints about the fact the servers could actually be alternative worlds. On the contrary it was pretty clearly stated some of these servers are actually fictional world: think about the fake Hogwarts visited by Luna, Penelope and the MC or about the conversation between Nova and Alex about the fact that some server were created by group of pedophiles and shout down by the Eternum's administration, when they were lost in that cartoonish world.
Sure. Then again, Disneyland exists in real life. If Ulysses has partial control over other realities, nothing says they couldn't establish a reality that is a Hogwarts parody, a cartoon world, or whatever they'd like.

It's true that the worlds are described as being fictional. That's how Eternum overtly works. That, however, is (I think deliberately) contrasted with what happens as soon as the players start peeking behind the curtains.

The plot point of travelling to the closed-off realm lay in that growing uneasiness: why is there inexplicably a realm here we're not meant to see? It's not empty, it's full of stuff, but looks completely natural. And in it is what appears to be a sentient person intended to be used by the game in some capacity. If Eternum's realms were all created by the company, it should be bugged and under test. But it's not. To the contrary, it actually looks like it could be a real place, far more than the realms we had seen earlier.

I think the whole point there is that it consciously throws into doubt the fictional status of Eternum. It doesn't have to mean Eternum's public realms are not constructed.

Idontplay

Oct 30, 2017
Sure. Then again, Disneyland exists in real life. If Ulysses has partial control over other realities, nothing says they couldn't establish a reality that is a Hogwarts parody, a cartoon world, or whatever they'd like.
Of course if Ulysses has created those alternative realities, he has a partial control over them: he must share that control with the administrators of the various servers.
In my opinion the only hint able to suggest those "other realities" might not be virtual ones, is the one shown by Elsamadra (I'm talking about the two frames from "Once in a lifetime"), but unfortunately that hint is only a couple of decontextualized screenshots, so it isn't really useful to prove those servers are actually alternative real worlds.
Instead the other ones could be explained without using the alternative realities theory: for example it isn't strange that Orion dreams about a world similar to Hogwarts, if he know the Harry Potter's novels and we know for sure he knows those novels.

Now I drop this discussion, because I have simply asked why everyone of you continue to talk about this alternative realities theory. But instead to give me an answer, you reacted like I have committed some heresy crime, without think not everyone has played "Once in a life time" (for example I have started less than a week ago…) or he couldn't loves have to break his brain to find every hint and built theories about the hidden truth of the game (me again).
I would suggest a more relaxed approach to the game: it is less stressful.

Last edited:

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
In my opinion the only hint able to suggest those "other realities" might not be virtual ones, is the one shown by Elsamadra (I'm talking about the two frames from "Once in a lifetime"), but unfortunately that hint is only a couple of decontextualized screenshots, so it isn't really useful to prove those servers are actually alternative real worlds.
It's one of the bad endings of OIAL. I won't spoil how to specifically get it but all I'll say is that it's something that you can possibly get in the final act of the game. MC gets sent to prison, big bad visits him and demands that he find Calypso for him as it will become a hindrance to his plans in the future. Why would a demon know about the existence of a mere NPC/AI in a VRMMO that in that point in time hasn't been released yet? And why would it pose a threat to him? Unless you think that Calypso is going to go Skynet and face off against him, it really makes you think.

That's the context.

for example it isn't strange that Orion dreams about a world similar to Hogwarts, if he know the Harry Potter's novels and we know for sure he knows those novels.
Except if you know the context of those screenshots, you'd know that Orion was referring to the temple he saw in his dreams where he encounters the "Lady in Black" for the first time back in early parts of the story, and not that the temple is from Harry Potter.

Now I drop this discussion, because I have simply asked why everyone of you continue to talk about this alternative realities theory. But instead to give me an answer, you reacted like I have committed some heresy crime, without think not everyone has played "Once in a life time" (for example I have started less than a week ago…) or he couldn't loves have to break his brain to find every hint and built theories about the hidden truth of the game (me again).
I would suggest a more relaxed approach to the game: it is less stressful.
I answered your query regarding Calypso, you asked for proof regarding the theory, I (and Valath) gave you evidence that might possibly point in that direction but you thought they're inconclusive. Not our fault if you construe those as attacks against you.

Also, this is a discussion forum where we discuss about the game. Speculating and theorycrafting about the direction of the game's plot is part of that, considering that the dev seems to be leaving (and even outright dangling) some mysterious stuff this time around compared to his past game. If we end up being wrong about this stuff, that's fine. If you don't want to partake because you'd rather be productive with your time, that's fine too.

But don't cry about stuff that you aren't aware of if you're not even prepared to have a proper discussion (and that includes possibly being challenged on your assertions or being shown evidence from games/stories that are part of the canon that you haven't finished yet) in the first place, declaring "things are clear" with finality when it's not.

4.80 star(s) 933 Votes