RPGM Falcon-mkxp

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote

RoughlySpecific

May 27, 2020

sudo apt-get install libsndio7.0
On Linux Mint 19.1 I get the same error code as that other guy. If I try this is just tells me it cannot find the package:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libsndio7.0
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libsndio7.0'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libsndio7.0'

Any idea how to get it to work?

Edit:
A short search lead me to the info that the newest version for Mint 19.1 is libsndio6.1, if I understand the site correctly since it’s based on bionic Ubuntu.

Last edited:

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
You cannot, unless you upgrade to a newer mint.

Later, I'll compile a version using the source files of all needed dependencies, instead of using the source files included in debian.
That way it will be more universal.

RoughlySpecific

May 27, 2020
Thanks for the effort. Sadly, I see no difference. Tried it with Coming of Age. Exactly the same error as before. I have 'libjpeg62' and 'libatomic1' installed.

Btw, should we use the config file that comes with CoA or the one that comes with falcon-mkxp?

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Thanks for the effort. Sadly, I see no difference. Tried it with Coming of Age. Exactly the same error as before. I have 'libjpeg62' and 'libatomic1' installed.

Btw, should we use the config file that comes with CoA or the one that comes with falcon-mkxp?
It is impossible to give you the same error... sndio support was removed from the SDL2 intentionally.
If you get that error it means that you did not replace the "lib64" folder and files with the new ones.
Below is an image taken from mint 19.1 livedvd with Falcon and CoA
Capture.PNG
Use the config that comes with the linux version.

RoughlySpecific

May 27, 2020
To launch set the permision to the file "Falcon-mkxp.desktop". It will be renamed in "Game" and use it to start mkxp.
From the OP. This file does not exist, but I assume you mean "Falcon-mkxp_x86_64.desktop". If I try to execute that file, I still get exactly the same error.

I made sure to delete both previous Falcon-mkxp version and the old Coming of Age folder, then I downloaded " " from

console said:
./Falcon-mkxp_x86_64.desktop
./Falcon-mkxp_x86_64.desktop: line 1: [Desktop: command not found
./Falcon-mkxp_x86_64.desktop: line 3: -c: command not found
Mind you, I’ve noticed that I can just execute Game.exe with Wine and it seems to work fine (haven’t played more than a minute so far). Still, it’s weird that it doesn’t work. Am I doing something wrong?

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
From the OP. This file does not exist, but I assume you mean "Falcon-mkxp_x86_64.desktop". If I try to execute that file, I still get exactly the same error.

I made sure to delete both previous Falcon-mkxp version and the old Coming of Age folder, then I downloaded " " from

Mind you, I’ve noticed that I can just execute Game.exe with Wine and it seems to work fine (haven’t played more than a minute so far). Still, it’s weird that it doesn’t work. Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, for 64bit is "Falcon-mkxp_x86_64.desktop" . "Falcon-mkxp.desktop" was for the x86 version.
Is just a simple txt file to execute the program without opening the console.
Ubuntu and some Ubuntu based distros do not follow the specifications from
You need to take a look at your distro's wiki/forum/etc. on how to create an apropriate ".desktop" file.

You can simply run Falcon-mkxp if you open the terminal in the game directory and type
Code:
./Falcon-mkxp.bin.x86_64

Reactions: RoughlySpecific

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Sure, I’ll just do that.
Can you try the following?
Open the "Falcon-mkxp_x86_64.desktop" with a text editor and replace its contents with the following
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Game
Exec=sh -c "$(dirname %k)/Falcon-mkxp.bin.x86_64"
Terminal=false
Type=Application
and tell me if it launches Falcon when double-clicked

RoughlySpecific

May 27, 2020
Absolutely no difference. Even gives the same error code if I try executing it with via console.

Launching Falcon-mkxp.bin.x86_64 through the console works fine, as you said. Tested that earlier.

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Absolutely no difference. Even gives the same error code if I try executing it with via console.

Launching Falcon-mkxp.bin.x86_64 through the console works fine, as you said. Tested that earlier.
I suspect that Ubuntu and distros that can not start bash commands from launchers do not install a restricted bash in user mode (do not add a symbolic-link /usr/bin/rbash -> bash).

The launcher tries to invoke the bash command -> the system sees that the user is not an administrator and that bash will start in unrestricted mode -> the system blocks the execution of the command.
If they were configured correctly (rbash link was created for the users) the following would happen
The launcher invokes the bash command -> the system sees that the user is not an administrator and that bash will start in restricted mode -> the system allows the execution of the command.

Funny that so called user-friendly distros like ubuntu/mint/etc. are in reality very unfriendly to novice-users.:whistle:

more info about bash restricted mode in the links bellow

to verify run the command
Code:
cat /etc/shells
and check if in the results/strings are included the strings
Code:
/bin/rbash
/usr/bin/rbash
If not the user/admin has to create the symbolik links to add this functionality in the system.
with the commands
Code:
ln -s /bin/bash /bin/rbash
ln -s /bin/bash /usr/bin/rbash

Last edited:
Reactions: RoughlySpecific

RoughlySpecific

May 27, 2020
Thanks for looking into it.

"/bin/rbash" was already in the list, the other wasn’t. Even after establishing the symbolic link, the list remains the same.

Trying to execute Falcon-mkxp_x86_64.desktop still does not work, still yield the same error if tried via console.

ln -s /bin/bash /bin/rbash
ln -s /bin/bash /usr/bin/rbash
Both of these now say that the file already exists. That is the only difference on my end.

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
I cannot be very specific because each distro is different, and giving the wrong instructions will cause big problems.
It could also be related to the group(s) that the user belongs (= what privileges the account has) or the aliases

(I gave the above links because archlinux and manjaro have the best wikis about configurations)

You better ask in the mint forum/community about what steps to take to enable such functionality.

RoughlySpecific

May 27, 2020
Thanks again, though I’m still not interested in investing time in this. I’ve never had an issue with this before and even now, it works fine if I just start the game through the console. If I ever find any circumstances where it becomes an issue, I’ll know where to search/what to ask about.

Reactions: pk2000

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Version 1.01
  • set minimum window resolution to 800x600
  • set maximum window size to the resolution of the monitor
  • minor bug fixed (restore window position when exiting fullscreen on some games)
  • default maximum resolution 1280x960 (can be changed by editing the mkxp.config)
  • Windows version
    md5 hash: 639D00754092F397477066DA76AD7A17
  • Linux x64 versions:
    (A) compatible with fluidsynth v1
    md5 hash: E3AD3FACB1B4CC37748CF70057149DB7
    (B) compatible with fluidsynth v2
    md5 hash: C48E04D9288528845736EDEDF7C47356
Final release.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnelros

Zippix

Sep 7, 2017
I forgot mentioning the above. The easiest work around is to press ALT & Enter twice (= enter & exit fullscreen)

Another problem that you can encounter is on some games that use "SHIFT-JIS" as encoding setting in their scripts (if used with applocal different than japanese). This can be easily solved if you edit the encoding setting and change it to "UTF-8". (I may add a feature like that in the future or make a ruby addon for it)
eg. https://f95zone.to/threads/shinobi-buster-mizuna-ninpocho-t-enta-p.909/
Excuse moi for assaulting you with this question out of the blue, but may I ask how to edit the encoding setting and change it to UTF-8? Stumbled upon your tool, and would like to try it on some VX / VX Ace games to see if they can finally be run in FS on my frikken W8.1 (which emulates ddraw incorrectly, so them above RPGM games can only be FSed (that is to run without some crazy lag/stutter), is with registry hacks; but those come with their own issues lol).
As a matter of fact, I can already tell that it works (tested on games that -apparently- don't have SJIS scripts), but the one I really wanted to try it on for now is SJIS-scripted, as it turns out. And don't really wanna change actual sys locale.
1622409075142.png
I hope all you meant is some extra line(s) in the .conf file, bc -as shameful as it is to admit, but still- I'm probably not well-versed enough in tech-savyness to comply something or whatnot... xD

At any rate, much appreciate the tool.

Last edited:

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Excuse moi for assaulting you with this question out of the blue, but may I ask how to edit the encoding setting and change it to UTF-8? Stumbled upon your tool, and would like to try it on some VX / VX Ace games to see if they can finally be run in FS on my frikken W8.1 (which emulates ddraw incorrectly, so them above RPGM games can only be FSed (that is to run without some crazy lag/stutter), is with registry hacks; but those come with their own issues lol).
As a matter of fact, I can already tell that it works (tested on games that -apparently- don't have SJIS scripts), but the one I really wanted to try it on for now is SJIS-scripted, as it turns out. And don't really wanna change actual sys locale.
View attachment 1221963
I hope all you meant is some extra line(s) in the .conf file, bc -as shameful as it is to admit, but still- I'm probably not well-versed enough in tech-savyness to comply something or whatnot... xD

At any rate, much appreciate the tool.
You need to edit the scripts file.
Either with the official editors or with Gemini editor (supports XP, VX, VX Ace)

With gemini you load the Scripts file -> click the search icon at the bottom -> type SHIFT_JIS in the search tab -> select all scripts -> and hit search.
Then you double-click the found results to load the script and replace SHIFT_JIS with UTF-8.
Capture.PNG

Reactions: Zippix

Zippix

Sep 7, 2017
Thanks!
I had the the sneaking suspicion that I couldn't get away without decrypting things first... xD
Anyhoo, that geminieditor looks yummy, thanks for the tip.

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote