VN Ren'Py Far Beyond the World [Chapter 17] [Echoes of Arcane]

4.30 star(s) 4 Votes

balitz Method

Jan 30, 2018
I gave this a shot but I can't recommend it. It desperately needs an editor; each scene drags on too long and falls into ruts of repetitive description or dialogue loops that end up retreading a subject several times. The main character spends most of their time in bed, so there's not really an exciting hook (though it does promise there will be adventure at some point later this opening just plods along), and on top of that there are a bunch of obvious look-at-this-cool-lore-I-wrote infodumps in place of things actually happening.

also the main character is kind of insufferable. In some misguided attempt to be 'realistic' he wonders if he's dreaming at least 37 times in the first way-too-long conversation (and it's an amnesia situation - a poorly done and inconsistent one where he 'technically' can't remember anything but still has modern context, he just doesn't know the source of the frame of reference he has, it's -so- poorly done that I honestly wonder why they bothered - so having such prolonged difficulty accepting the basic reality of the situation he's in just feels overwrought) and he'll get really bitchy and judgmental on top of that.

Then there are just some basic plotting head-scratchers. They make reference to this very exciting and interesting series of events that the main character was discovered under but instead of showing that as an opening hook to really grab you it's described to you in one of many sitting-in-bed conversations. Even when something finally happens the result is being put under house arrest; there's this weird aversion to having anything happen so you can read through more lore.

I won't say that it's completely unengaging but it's written in a very assed-backwardsy way.

Jun 5, 2019
Not a bad build. People give this game to much hate and honestly half of it comes from not reading the summary of the game. MC comes from the human world, who is not a furry. He must have lived in his own world so it is not a surprised he has a close minded opinion of the wolves and customs because he can hardly relate. So he ends up heavily criticizing them for their actions because he cannot relate. In the human world names are nothing, you can easily change them via documentation. So MC cannot understand why go so far for names like declaring wars (even the game explains it) or being afraid of death and not having a concept that is the afterlife.

His memory lost is not an issue. Their are so many novels or manga that has the exact same setup on forgetting who they are but still retaining the context of their own world. Memory is literally a tricky thing so anyone that has beef with this is just nitpicky at this point. At least the MC is starting to learn and apologize to Ranok. He just needs to read the atmosphere and know when not to touch a subject though, MC by far cannot read the room/atmosphere around him. The creator is clearly making the MC to be unlikeable at first so he can have more growth in understanding this new world. Plus he is not a furry so he has no interest yet is slowly developing an attraction which he always finds questionable. But I will admit he is stuck up during the bathroom scene, it's like his mind still won't grasp the situation he is in.

30-666

Oct 18, 2020
A good sequel, I'm looking forward to what happens next .... it looks like I fell in love with a wolf.

Thanatos

May 21, 2017
Are these guys related to the Echo Project, or are they really just copying their work? I played through the last version, and it's like they're not even trying to hide that they simply copied Adastra.

Forget I said anything. *facepalm*

Gamerboyfan99

Jul 2, 2017
Facepalm all you want Zaush but doesn't make my post any less true. Every option chosen leads to the same exact result. Only gives the illusion of choice.

• Angry
Reactions: Zaush

nitobe-san

Oct 1, 2017
yet there are "choices" inserted that shouldn't then?
Depends on how the writer is handling how to tell the story. Choices could be used as flavor text, a literary tool to home in on feelings like "no choice really matters" like in some games. They can be as minor or major however the writer wants.

I looked through the script file, and the different choices actually change dialogue. Also, spoiler alert, there's a counter for how much you trust Vulgor which could affect future choices with him depending on the counter which I assume is his relationship stat.

No need to be harsh on a game that doesn't hold your interest. Simply look elsewhere.

As for me, the writing does seem pretty wish-fulfilment-y, which is a staple isekai trope. But the game has plenty of different sprite variations and non-sexual CGs, so I could see where most of his efforts were spent on which is the art and coding for the numerous sprites.

Reactions: Sarkath and Zaush
4.30 star(s) 4 Votes