Female MC is a good idea?

Rimfonde

Jun 12, 2021
I'm curious to hear your opinions. I haven't come across many titles where the main character is a woman. Do you recommend any titles in this theme and what do you think about them?

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Back and Rimfonde

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
Usually good idea, terrible execution. Having a female PC lets you as the player control and customise the part you're typically interested in (as a hetero male, or sometimes also as a lesbian). It's much easier to pick and choose the content you want if you already bring the main component, and games are also easier to filter because if the PC designs/customisation options do not appeal to you then you can move on right away.

Unfortunately most games squander these advantages by forcing you into content or putting the PC's intentions at odds with the player's (Game Over rape etc.) which simply isn't fun from a gameplay standpoint.

RandyTyr

Game Developer
Apr 30, 2021
I haven't really come across games that otherwise appeal to me and have a female MC (so far). While I suspect that some male players will shun female MC games because they fear they'll catch the virtual cooties and their dicks will fall off, for me the reason to be a bit sceptical of female MC games is twofold:

First, I really like to see some penis-in-vagina sex as part of the mix. So unless the female MC is either (non-op) trans or futa, she'd have to have sex with some male LI.

Second, likable male characters seem to be very rare in the games here. A male MC can get away with being mostly a blank page for a self-insert. But a good male LI would actually need to be appealing somehow. If eg the MC from Midlife Crisis, the MC from Desert Stalker and Ariel's dad from Spring City are on offer it would probably work for me.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Rimfonde

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
People want to roleplay and since most here are Men, Female Games will always be a niche.

Affogado

Game Developer
Jun 12, 2021
I tend to avoid games with a female protagonist just because most of them put the MC in a submissive, passive, or humiliating role, and that's not my thing. I prefer to play more active/dominant types of character, not the stepmom getting her head stuck in the dryer or whatever. I know that's a generalization but man there's a lot of it.

There's definitely an underserved market for a different kind of female protagonist, or games allowing the player to define the MC as either male or female. Of course, badly written female protagonists stick out even more than badly written male protagonists, so...

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Most good fmc games have systems of progression with lust/corruption points you earn via gameplay and choices. It works as a gameplay goal, get the next tier of events and more quests. Many even work well with playing as female, npc's coercing her to have sex with them, earning money via humiliating acts and such that simply aren't workable with male mc.
You always have the character who you get to know well in scenes making them more impactful, as the object of desire isn't just an object.

Reactions: almalexia

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
There is a large chunk of adult game players who try to immerse themselves into the game they play. While I can't speak for every one of these players, I can tell you I'm one of them and can't play them. If I fail to immerse myself into the game itself I don't get much enjoyment out it. As a result, I don't even bother trying.

Reactions: CrazyForgeStudio

Canade

Sep 26, 2018
I've only ever played one game with a female lead, aside from trying and deleting carnal instinct, and that was because I could swap the sidekick (the MC) with a character of my choosing. Other than that, I don't play female protag games.

Monster Girl Fusion Abnormal

Is it a bad idea for a game to have a female protag? No, not really.

Affogado

Game Developer
Jun 12, 2021
I mean really it all just depends on what kind of audience you're targeting. Your game doesn't have to be for everybody, or even for most people; you just have to know who it IS for and what kind of MC they want... then somehow let them know about it.

Reactions: RandyTyr
Oct 1, 2020
Is it a good idea? of course, yes. Girls enjoy adult games too, provided they are not just stereotyped slut/bimbo MCs.
Some of the best for me, are Lust Campus, Good Girl Gone Bad, Bright Past, Fashion Business, Panacea and Dog Days of Summer.

Reactions: Canade

almalexia

May 21, 2021
This kind of game is the only kind I play, really. It's just harder for me to self-insert as a guy. Think I understand what people were saying higher up in the thread though about all those stupid rapey japanese RPGmaker shovelware games, though... The pool of games with female MC's is already so small, and that shrinks it further.

Only ones I've actually liked, was because of either the freedom of choice and sandboxing given (Lilith's Throne, DoL) or how the main character had a lot of personality and you could actually care about her (Claire's Quest)

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
around 40% of games (here) are fem protagonist, so yea they're pretty common.

almost all of them are rape-simulators though, there's almost none portraying an actual female protagonist. they're more female objects. it's all about justine, the virtuous maiden 'accidentally' getting herself abused in increasingly degrading ways again and again and again.

almalexia

May 21, 2021
almost all of them are rape-simulators though, there's almost none portraying an actual female protagonist. they're more female objects.
You hit the nail on the head, mate. I mean, I enjoy rape fantasy but I still want to see the protagonist be happy sometimes, grow, and be an ACTUAL CHARACTER. And maybe it'd be nice to have some romances...

88Michele88

Bloodborn Vampire
Game Developer
Apr 22, 2018
The most various and usefull game with Female MC, to make way out in game world with or without lest her self. Female are relly complicated person. The had herat and their own interset and goal to success. Corruption, Romance and other kink can be avoidble a lost into it. They are good games.
Good Girl Gone Bed
Manila Shaw (RPG)
Manila Shaw (Ren'py)
Lily Of The Vallay (RPG)
Lily of The Valley (Ren'py)
Dog Days of Summer
A Wife And Mother
Champions of Liberty Institute of Training
Virtuous United Ladies Volleyball Association
Hermione and The Magic Of Love
CyberSin: Red Ice
The Lost Chapters
Panacea
Kingdom of Deception
Bad Memories (Contain Saparate story Female MC (This why I play it. I hace chance to choos my gender))
Heavy Five Remastered (I play it only for the same reason above (Female MC only))

Last edited:

88Michele88

Bloodborn Vampire
Game Developer
Apr 22, 2018
Vampires and trannies are not my fetish. I am a fan of vanilla and naive heterosexuality in the spirit of first love, flowers and sighs under the moon.;)
You can see the last game of mine. But I can't put that into this thread. Ckei it out from those link above you asked for.

Gambitf95

Jul 11, 2017
Most of female MC game are written by male. So they tend to be simalars. But some time there is a good game with a good story, and it could be fun, Good girl gonebad is a good one, imo.

Tomb Raider was a good game too with a female MC. :)

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
Adding terminal desires to the list too, i feel having female MC's are a good thing, for women who play xxx games and for guys who wanna see a hot babe get fucked and spermed by 10 guys