Female protagonist games are dying ?

Xaoyu

Dec 31, 2017
Did you guys manage to find a good one after Karyn's prison ?

It seems like all there is now are visual novels and i still wonder how are those being called "games". Or weird game with bad 3D and equally bad gameplay.

The age of Hrpg with female protagonist has ended ? there isn't enouh people who like them to keep makin new ones ? I don't understand the actual games catalog. I have the impression that there is just nothing playable.

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
terminal desires is pretty good, v0.10 will be released pretty soon too

DoubleLust

Feb 16, 2021
no the genre isn't dead.

It takes a lot longer to develop an H-RPG, or at least one with custom content, it's a lot easier for people to copy the popular trend of VN about big dick chads fucking the east side of a town.

thought about doing a dev log showcasing the nightmare of designing an H-RPG, but I also find it easier to just crawl into my hole and suck back coffee and continue developing, curious though... what parts of a Female MC RPG do you guys like? what content irritates you?

Xaoyu

Dec 31, 2017
what parts of a Female MC RPG do you guys like? what content irritates you?
It's really irritating to have an emotionless protagonist. Like she gets raped and says : "oh no!" and looks like she doesn't give a damn. In the old Hrpg The Heiress for exemple, the Heroine emotions are extremely well rendered in my opinion.

It looks extremely lazy to have games that are false rpg : you have nothing else but the main story and you don't have any real choices. It's just like a Visual novel but with a character that you have to control from point A to point B. Very uninteresting. Just watch an anime already if all you want to do is spectating what happens without controlling anything.

What is extremely bad as well are games where if you don't "make" your character a slut, you have nothing to do.
I don't know if it's too vavoid to work or if it's because devs don't understand that it's not because the players don't want to play a whore that they don't want to see sexual content. If that was the case those players wouldn't be playing a hrpg to begin with.

What is great :

Original or at least very complete fight mechanics (Karyn's prison for exemple) or very good puzzles if there are no fights.

Heroine who doesn't seems dumb to the point where you just don't care about her anymore.

Choices that matter. And a lot of them.

Good replayability.

Clothes system.

Real difficulty in the gameplay.

DoubleLust

Feb 16, 2021
It's really irritating to have an emotionless protagonist.
Unfortunately it does take effort to design a story that pleases the patreon overlords, yeah I do prefer games that slowly send the heroine down a path of corruption and moral degradation,

extremely lazy false rpg
A lot easier to create an "RPG" that is a glorified visual novel.
take A new dawn for example; horrible broken code, 0 combat and he uses default RPGmaker assets such as the map that ships with the engine, $4k a month right now

don't "make" your character a slut, you have nothing to do.
Gotta make that bank, sex sells.
I don't think I've seen any western RPG that breaks away and has multiple endings/interactions.
wouldn't mind setting up the framework for interactions and endings similar to how cyberpunk designed it

What is great
- ABS combat system with combat strip and unique BDSM crippling attacks
- Time based puzzles, moving puzzles, minigame puzzles and multiple types of traps.

- Heroine who's storyline branches down multiple paths albeit kids are going to want me to finish the slut path before any other I develop.

- Choices that matter and that will effect the ending

- I will see how many outfits I plan, multiple side job outfits sure, but her main armor took a 1000 renders to complete, my head still hurts from dealing with that mountain of editing

- Art style I believe also makes a difference, aiming for art on par with NLT, although I opted out of parallax mapping for something a little more unique.

- Voiced Heroine

Reactions: Shaneride

Xaoyu

Dec 31, 2017
- Art style I believe also makes a difference, aiming for art on par with NLT, although I opted out of parallax mapping for something a little more unique.
Doesn't 3D make you work a lot more than drawings ? Personnaly i prefer a lot more good and generous drawings than little ammount of very good 3D. Maybe it's just me i don't know... Butif 3D takes a dev too much time (specially just to render multiple costume for each scene) i don't think it worth.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Doesn't 3D make you work a lot more than drawings ? Personnaly i prefer a lot more good and generous drawings than little ammount of very good 3D. Maybe it's just me i don't know... Butif 3D takes a dev too much time (specially just to render multiple costume for each scene) i don't think it worth.
I tend to find a number of inherent issues when it comes to female protagonist games.
You'll see stuff like the developer / author makes the character out to be smart at the onset but then she can't do anything but make dumb decisions through out the game. They ignore any real options the women would actually have when dealing with many choices.

That leads to one of my biggest pet peeves lazy ass writing. Example: Black mail scene - female "I guess I got no choice" Yet the author did ZERO to eliminate the 15 trillion real choices she has. If you are lucky they half ass address one or two of them.

Maybe the biggest issue male authors writing from a female perspective. I one of those assholes that will ask real women what they would do in such a situation. Hell if I could get away with it I would make a TV show poking fun at these types of writers by going out on the street and asking women for their input.

Of course the massive number of plot holes most these stories have because of the hack job of writing.

So with that can you blame fans for not being as interested. Because fans loose interest these writers think that fans are disinterested in the story type. That isn't the case they are just sick of the half ass writing that goes along with it.

Not to mention the incessant need to try and turn everyone of the female characters into drooling cock gobbling slut or piece of fuck meat.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHighSpire

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Female-protag usually means:

- more options for what type of content you want to see (because the ero-content centers on one character rather than some douchebag's harem of 12, plus everything else he comes across that has a vagina and a pulse).

- a more developed corruption curve with a closer perspective of the one being corrupted.

- not having to interact with the main character of interest through a lecherous male that I can't even relate to anyway because even the "geeks" in ero-games have a six-pack, an Adonis face, a 9-inch schlong and a silver tongue.

DoubleLust

Feb 16, 2021
Doesn't 3D make you work a lot more than drawings ?
no, a good drawing takes a lot longer then a 3d image, if I had my choice I would sketch the entire game.

They are no longer 3D once they don't move they are 2D renders of a 3D scene.
3D.jpg

Good thing I don't like parallax mapping then.

Female-protag usually means:
Yeah played alot of games that have 0 unique character development or a very generic storyline.
wouldn't mind designing characters like judy alvarez from cyberpunk or any character from mass effect 2, characters with a history and backstory that you are invested in and want to help, so when I do put pressure into the game it has a meaning.

or I can just add dick chicks and roll around in that patreon money like scrooge McDuck.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Good thing I don't like parallax mapping then.
Technically unless the object is able to be explored moving around it I don't consider it actual 3D. It's using a visual trick to appear as if it is but you can't actually move around the enviroment if it is simply using two stills. If however you are using parallax mapping such as the glasses and an active 3D environment that's another story then I do.

Last edited:

Utratroy

Mar 31, 2020
Nah fam, there's still a lot and I can't even keep up with it.
You just gotta try it all and set that high ass standard to low.
then maybe you will find it, or not

Casmyr

Quarters
Donor
Dec 6, 2018
Steam has quite a few it just depends on your taste. I like the ones developed by Oneone1 or Kagura games.
There's one I'm particularly fond of called Material Girl. You get financially abandoned by your parents and have to pay the mortgage, either sell that ass or work at the bread store.
Although I feel that I might have misunderstood the question.
Forgive my English.

Kravnos

Feb 10, 2020
If you want a female protagonist, best to load Fallout 4 or Skyrim with eros mods and create a female character. Play the game as she gets traded like a cheap slave among NPCs. You can have pretty good results, but modding will eventually break your game.

Oct 1, 2020
There`s quite a few games with female MC`s and some are really good.

Bright Past, Panacea, Dog Days of Summer, Manila Shaw, Jessica O Neil hard news, Lily of the Valley, Fashion Business, Chloe18....just to name a few great ones.

TheHighSpire

Feb 1, 2020
I tend to find a number of inherent issues when it comes to female protagonist games.
You'll see stuff like the developer / author makes the character out to be smart at the onset but then she can't do anything but make dumb decisions through out the game. They ignore any real options the women would actually have when dealing with many choices.

That leads to one of my biggest pet peeves lazy ass writing. Example: Black mail scene - female "I guess I got no choice" Yet the author did ZERO to eliminate the 15 trillion real choices she has. If you are lucky they half ass address one or two of them.

Maybe the biggest issue male authors writing from a female perspective. I one of those assholes that will ask real women what they would do in such a situation. Hell if I could get away with it I would make a TV show poking fun at these types of writers by going out on the street and asking women for their input.

Of course the massive number of plot holes most these stories have because of the hack job of writing.

So with that can you blame fans for not being as interested. Because fans loose interest these writers think that fans are disinterested in the story type. That isn't the case they are just sick of the half ass writing that goes along with it.

Not to mention the incessant need to try and turn everyone of the female characters into drooling cock gobbling slut or piece of fuck meat.
Amen to that.

I'm also generally extremely bored many of the tropes in Japanese games. Especially those where the MC is like "I wonder what that bulge in their pants are" or "Why do you want me to lift my shirt". Ffs, nobody are that dense. I don't like playing some mentally restrained girl.

For instance, in Fleeting Iris, the author made the option to go down various routes, which is fine. So initially you can play a powerful, and clever girl who shoots holes in her employers plans to corrupt her. That was really cool. That is also when I found out that this route immediately led to the end of the game with the good ending. You had to purposefully play the dumbest girl in the world to progress the plot.

I also want a choice. I should be able to accept the blackmail, but the blackmail has to be believable. I should also be able to decline it, and both should have consequences. I really dislike if I'm forced into something, unless it was by my own choice.

Reactions: Diconica

Xaoyu

Dec 31, 2017
For instance, in Fleeting Iris, the author made the option to go down various routes, which is fine.
No he didn't. If you play "smart" the game just end quickly and there is not sex scene. It's just "and they marry and live a happy life..."